Thread: A team made for double battles, offensive, yet still defensive.

Lightbulb A team made for double battles, offensive, yet still defensive.

Gonna go competitive(obviously) and I want to train these pokemon for double battles.

Moltres
    Evs: 252 Spa/128 Att/128 Spe
    Ability: Pressure
    Nature: Mild
    Item: Heat Rock
    Purpose: A special sweeper and then why not use a minor legendary?Mewtwo seems overused. Sunny Day setup.
    Moves:
    Sunny Day
    Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    Solarbeam
    Hurricane

Uxie
    Evs:252 Def/252 Spd/4 HP
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Bold or Calm
    Item: Salac Berry
    Purpose: Going along with Sunny Day, it uses Solarbeam. Also a tank.
    Moves:
    Solarbeam
    Calm Mind
    Substitute
    Flail

Rhyperior
    Evs: 252 Att/128 Def/128 Hp
    Ability: Lightning Rod
    Nature: Brave, Adamant, or Naughty
    Item: Life Orb
    Purpose: A physical sweeper, whilst being a physical tank. Dragon Tail for knocking dangerous adversaries away. Lightningrod for Gyarados and Moltres.
    Moves:
    Dragon Tail
    Toxic
    Rock Wrecker
    Earthquake

Gyarados
    Evs: 252 Att/ 144 SPd/ 112 Hp
    Ability: Intimidate
    Nature: Careful or Adamant
    Item: Shell Bell
    Purpose: Another physical sweeper, whilst being a bulky special tank. Lightningrod saves him from electric types.
    Moves:
    Ice Fang
    Waterfall
    Thunder
    Earthquake

Espeon
    Evs: 252 Spe/156 Def/100 Spd
    Ability: Synchronise
    Nature: Timid
    Item: Destiny Knot
    Purpose: Baton Passer with an EV investment to survive, mostly meant for Gyarados, but decent for the others.
    Moves:
    Baton Pass
    Calm Mind
    Psychic
    Double Team

Zoroark
    Evs: 252 Spe/252 Spa
    Ability: Illusion
    Nature: Modest, Mild, or Rash
    Item: Damp Rock
    Purpose: Special Sweeper, meant to trick opponents with its ability, and giving Gyarados a hand with his Thunder and Waterfall.
    Moves:
    Rain Dance
    Dark Pulse
    Extrasensory
    Focus Blast

Strategy:
    I start off with Espeon and Rhyperior. Espeon begins its stat boosts to Baton Pass to Gyarados, meanwhile Rhyperior starts attacking with Rock Wrecker and Toxic. If an opponent that can harm Espeon greatly comes about, then Dragon Tail will whip them away. Once Espeon succeeds in passing, I switch to Gyarados. Rhyperior uses Earthquake, not affecting Gyarados, until it faints, with Lightningrod as backup. Replaced by Zoroark, I will trick the opponent and use rain dance to boot, boosting Thunders accuracy to perfect, and Waterfall doubling in power. Zoroark and Gyarados proceed to obliterate, until they both faint together. When push comes to shove, I will use my legendaries. Moltres casts Sunny Day while Uxie casts Substitute. Calm Minding while Substitute is up, Uxie will prepare a 6x boosted Solarbeam aided by sunny day, while its special defense protects it. Its physical defense is not bad either. Moltres uses Fire Blast, also boosted by sunny day, and possibly some other moves. If the solarbeam tactic does not work, then the substitute and flail tactic will be relied on. Any suggestions?
    I AM NERDZ! YOU SHALL OBEY ME OR FACE THE CONSEQUENCES!

Why does Moltres have EVs in Attack when all its moves are special?

And why does Gyarados have Thunder? I can't see a Pokemon that only sets hazards and defends the team. Why does Zoroark have Rain Dance? And it's frail anyway. If Uxie is a Special sweeper, teach it Psychic.
    Last edited by Quilava42; 6th January 2013 at 3:52 AM.

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

Quote Originally Posted by Summonight View Post
    Why does Moltres have EVs in Attack when all its moves are special?
    Sorry about that, I originally planned it to be a mixed sweeper, and forgot to delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilava42 View Post
    And why does Gyarados have Thunder? I can't see a Pokemon that only sets hazards and defends the team. Why does Zoroark have Rain Dance? And it's frail anyway. If Uxie is a Special sweeper, teach it Psychic.
    Gyarados has thunder to give it more coverage, while giving it another use for Rain Dance, Zoroark having rain dance is part of the plan, just read above, and Uxie is not a special sweeper, its a tank with an attack strategy. You are thinking of Azelf

But you have both Sunny Day and Rain Dance where you have 2 different weather attacks. That is so bad when they are together. And Flail on Uxie? I mean, it's a Special Sweeper. Do what you want with it. And Gyarados is mainly a Physical sweeper judging by the EVs put in and move set. Replace it with Taunt or Dragon Dance while you give Gyarados a Life Orb. Replace Zoroark with Forretress with a Relaxed Nature.
    Ability: Sturdy
    Holds: Red Card
    252 HP/176 Def/80 Sp. Def
    Spikes
    Stealth Rock
    Rapid Spin
    Gyro Ball/ Volt Switch

Espeon is better as a Choice Scarf user with a Timid Nature.

Trait: Magic Bounce
    Holds: Choice Scarf
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/ 4 Sp. Def
    Trick
    Psyshock
    Shadow Ball/Grass Knot
    HP Fighting/Signal Beam

With Hidden Power Fighting, Espeon can defeat Dark and Steel types.
    Last edited by Quilava42; 6th January 2013 at 5:04 AM.

[*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

You realize Deoxys-D outclasses Uxie in literally every possible way, right? Actually, use Reuniclus.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
    Modest - Magic Guard
    252 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Def
    -Calm Mind
    -Recover
    -Psyshock
    -Focus Blast

Now, Moltres... Lolno, use Heatran.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Timid - Flash Fire
    252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    -Fire Blast
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Earth Power
    -Flame Charge

Full rate tomorrow.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

Doubles is not my strong suit, but I can see a lot here even I can fix.

To start, I'd like to say I can see something wrong with every single member of this team, and most of them are outclassed by something else entirely. I won't post sets, it's late at night here, but I will tell you some of these alternatives.

For starters, Mewtwo should not even be considered as it is illegal in everything bar Ubers matches. Moltres, as mentioned by Divine, is outclassed horribly by Heatran.

Uxie should NOT be used offensively ever. The Reuniclus set Divine mentioned is also a good idea.

Rhyperior shouldn't be used either. It dies to Surf. And even if you DID use it, never ever EVER in your life use Rock Wrecker or its equivalents. They are terrible moves that give free set-up turns. Less so in Doubles, but they still put you at much too severe a disadvantage. I'd suggest a Terrakion here to keep with the physical offense and Rock typing.

Shell Bell is a bad item and should not be used on anything besides FEAR Aron. Further, Gyarados should never under any circumstances, even in the Rain, use a Special move, even Thunder.

For Espeon, you better have a seriously good reason for using Synchronize over Magic Bounce. And Destiny Knot? Really? Attract is nonexistent in competitive play. Completely nonexistent. Double Team is also illegal with the Evasion Clause. Espeon IS best as a Calm Mind passer/Stored Power attacker, and should not run a Scarf set. It is horribly outclassed by Latios.

Zoroark is much too frail to be setting weather. Use a Nasty Plot set instead. For that matter, if you're running weather why on earth are you not using the auto-inducers? Further, no offense but with sets like that, I don't think you could make a double weather team work. They're HARD to make and pretty tricky to use too. Pick one or the other, or go weatherless. To be honest, without a team completely built around the weather you're best off going weatherless.

Check Smogon for competitive sets. You can find them at www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/(Pokemon name here). This is NOT supposed to be linked, but removing the tags doesn't do anything, Serebii just re-adds them. The sample Heatran link works though. For example, for Heatran sets you would use www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/heatran. Not every viable set is on Smogon, however for most Pokemon their best options are there. I don't remember seeing Flame Charge Heatran, but it is probably Heatran's best offensive set.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

@loco - I was the one who recommended Flame Charge Heatran on your MonoSteel... It's not on Smogon... Or it better not be anyways.

Alright, let's fix this team.
    -cracks knuckles-

Now, 4x Rock Pokemon are NEVER viable in OU, with Volcarona being the exception that proves the rule, and even Volcarona is only viable because of Quiver Dance. Losing 50% every time you switch into Stealth Rock means you die pretty damn fast. Heatran maintains similar synergy and loses that nasty Rock weakness.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Timid - Flash Fire
    252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
    -Fire Blast
    -Earth Power
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Flame Charge

With a whopping 12 resistances including 4 double-resistances and 2 immunities, Heatran forces a LOT of switches. Fire a Flame Charge off on one of those switches to boost your Speed to a respectable level, and you're all set to sweep. Earth Power hits Fire and Rock types hard, and Hidden Power (Ice) blows away Dragons. Fire Blast is an amazing STAB that torches anything that doesn't resist it.

Now, let's fix Uxie... Well, to be honest, there's literally no reason to use him in OU over things like Deoxys-D or Reuniclus, who I'd suggest.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
    Modest - Magic Guard
    252 Sp. Atk, 252 HP, 4 Def
    -Calm Mind
    -Recover
    -Psyshock
    -Focus Blast
    When it comes to Calm Mind sweeps, Reuniclus is king. (I think Deoxys-D is pretty good too, but nobody agrees...) Anyways Recover keeps you going strong while you Calm Mind away. Psyshock is a great STAB that lets you win Calm Mind wars by basically making him a psuedo-mixed sweeper. Focus Blast hits everpresent Steel Pokemon.

Hm... The last time mixed Gyarados was even remotely viable was back in Gen 3. Stick with DDDos. Really, your set is okay, just replace Thunder with Dragon Dance.

Having 2 Calm Mind users on a team seems a bit meh, since virtually all CM'ers have the same counters. I'd recommend Dual Screens Espeon.

Espeon @ Light Clay
    Timid - Magic Bounce
    252 Speed, 252 HP, 4 Def
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Baton Pass
    -Calm Mind / Work Up

With a blazing base 110 Speed, Espeon is the best Dual Screens user since Azelf. That begs the question; why not just use Azelf? Two words; Magic Bounce.

Over Rhyperior, I'd recommend SubSD Terrakion.

Terrakion @ Leftovers
    Jolly - Justified
    252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP
    -Close Combat
    -Rock Slide
    -Substitute
    -Swords Dance

A monster in both singles and doubles, SubSD Terrakion rips through teams with impunity. Substitute provides protection from status and makes it easy to set up a Swords Dance, doubling his already amazing Attack. Rock Slide + CC gets basically the same coverage as EdgeQuake.

Zoroark is too frail and gimmicky for real results in OU... I'd recommend Hydreigon to keep with the synergy. Literally the only time I've ever used Hydreigon was on my MonoDark team, but heres the best set I've used.

Hydreigon @ White Herb
    Hasty - Levitate
    252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Attack
    -Draco Meteor
    -Fire Blast
    -Superpower
    -Roost

This thing does one thing and one thing only; hammer stuff. Draco Meteor is a devastating attack, blowing away almost anything that isn't Steel typed. Fire Blast melts away Steels coming in to soak up Draco Meteor. Superpower hammers Chansey/Blissey and Heatran, and Roost is for recovery.

That's it for now, I hope I helped!

Also, my doubles experience isn't huge so if any other raters want to touch upon (or contradict...) anything I said, please do.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

@loco - I was the one who recommended Flame Charge Heatran on your MonoSteel... It's not on Smogon... Or it better not be anyways.
    I remember that, and I haven't checked Smogon for Heatran sets since so I'm not sure if it was ever added haha
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

Quote Originally Posted by loco1234 View Post
    I remember that, and I haven't checked Smogon for Heatran sets since so I'm not sure if it was ever added haha
    I hope not, Flame Charge Heatran is my baby. Well, since I started using it a few months ago I've seen it a couple other times... But, hey... When I first started playing 5th gen, I thought "Wouldn't Chandelure kick *** if I Scarfed it?", and I got all excited over it... Until I found out my exact set was already on Smogon. So, no, FC Heatran is mine, Smogon can't have it. /endfutileselfentitlement

You know what, I'll just re-open this. Your individual descriptions are lacking, but you do have a good general team description at the end, which I guess is fine considering the nature of Doubles teams.

Sorry for the delay, you may continue here. ^_^

Well, Heatran seems like a better choice, so Ill go with it. I can see that everything is very flawed. Im new to this, especially double battles. Im keeping Uxie, because I've never used one, and you have to admit, a one turn-6 boosted Solarbeam is pretty bad***. Not only that, but if it fails, I have a Substitute strategy in check(use it multiple times, berry boosts it, and flail becomes max power), although I could replace Calm Mind with Toxic for another substitegy(look at me making words up) and rely on my baton passer. Reuniclus could be a better option to consider, but I'd like to experiment a bit. Plus Solarbeam counters Heatrans weakness to ground, in the event the air balloon pops. And Rotom-W would also be countered. Next, Ill dump Zoroark, it's too frail and weather is not a good choice either, plus Gyarados and special does not mix. Forget Rhyperior, Terrakion is a good option. So lets see how this would work:

Heatran
    EVs: 252 SPA/252 SPE/4 Hp
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Item: Air Balloon
    Purpose/Strategy: Sunny Day strategy is retained, but still remains a sweeper, whilst covering counters. Disguises itself as a weatherless team member as well.
    Moves:
    Sunny Day
    Solarbeam
    Fire Blast
    Earth Power

Uxie dumps Calm Mind for Toxic

Terrakion
    Evs: 252 Att/252 Spe/4 Spd
    Ability: Justified
    Nature: Jolly
    Item: Focus Sash
    Purpose/Strategy: Stealth Rock lead, works well with Espeon's lead
    Moves:
    Stone Edge
    Close Combat
    Stealth Rock
    Taunt

Espeon
    EVs: 252 Hp/252 Spe/ 4 Spa
    Ability: Magic Bounce
    Item: Leftovers
    Purpose: Lead, baton passer, and HP fighting for Dark Types like T-Tar with Stored Power for good damage if needed
    Moves:
    HP Fighting
    Stored Power
    Baton Pass
    Calm Mind

Gyarados
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Ability: Moxie
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    Item: Life Orb
    Purpose: Dumps the special attacks, and retains its sweeping qualities
    Moves:
    Earthquake
    Dragon Dance
    Stone Edge
    Waterfall

Dragonite
    Evs: 252 Att/252 Spa/ 4 Spe
    Ability: Inner Focus
    Nature: Mild
    Item:
    Purpose: Mixed Sweeper, better choice than Zoroark, and has Ice Beam to make sure other Dragons dont hamper my team. Flamethrower is good with Sunny Day, not affected by EQ so will probably be sent out with Gyarados.
    Moves:
    Earthquake
    Ice Beam
    Dragon Claw
    Flamethrower

Wait, but Gyarados' Waterfall is weakened by the sun. Put in the Choice Band or Scarf on Dragonite.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilava42 View Post
    Wait, but Gyarados' Waterfall is weakened by the sun. Put in the Choice Band or Scarf on Dragonite.
    The sun wont last forever, plus I use the sun and the legendaries as a last resort

*Points to Azelf* If you want a sweeper, Azelf gets Nasty Plot, Solarbeam and Flamethrower and would like a word with you.

Uxie is defensive and should be used as such.

Reuniclus is still probably the best CM sweeper though.

AZELF YUSSSS!!!
    Sorry.

If you really don't want to use Reuniclus, at least go with Deoxys-D... He literally outclasses Uxie in every way. Better stats, better movepool, reliable recovery, etc.

Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers
    Bold - Pressure
    252 Defence, 252 HP, 4 Sp. Atk
    -Calm Mind
    -Recover
    -Psyshock
    -Shadow Ball

Basically the same strategy as Reuniclus only way bulkier.

Hahaha, thought you'd like seeing Azelf suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by loco1234 View Post
    Hahaha, thought you'd like seeing Azelf suggested.
    Haha, yeah. Normally, even if he's completely ****ing awesome, there's no reason to use him over Alakazam, but I think Levitate and his superior movepool might make him fit great on this team.