Thread: Wild Spearow Knows Fly?

Default Wild Spearow Knows Fly?

I was playing Green the other day (not emulated) and in that area West of Celedon City where you acquire the HM, Fly, while I was battling in the grassy patch, I came across a wild Spearow that (I kid you not) used Fly.

Is this old news? Did anyone know you can find wild Spearows that know Fly there? Is it only in Green, or also in the American versions of Red and Blue?

Pardon this debatably meaningless observasion. Wild. Spearow, With. Fly. I'm geeking out here.
    Last edited by Balet; 6th January 2013 at 5:40 AM.

Did it use Mirror Move on you when you used Fly on it? That might be the only other plausible explanation how it would use Fly, because unless that girl has been teaching all of those Spearow Fly where she lives, a wild Spearow shouldn't be using that move. Heck, I don't think any wild Pokémon can use HM moves.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

A minority of Pokemons can learn HM moves by leveling up.

However, none the ones I know are from Gen 1. Salamence and Fly, Goldeen and Waterfall, Sawk and Rock Smash, for example.

It's likely a glitch; no Pokémon could learn HM's by level up back then, aside from aforementioned Goldeen and Seaking (even though it wasn't a HM back then). Did you do the Missingno. glitch? That's probably the only plausible cause, since Sparow can only learn fly via HM.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

Are you really sure it used Fly? Hows the animation?
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Wee... Poison slide at my gym...

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.