Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How vital is pokemon to Nintendo ?

Question How vital is pokemon to Nintendo ?

What if the pokemon franchise stopped generating money all of a sudden ? Would Nintendo go bankrupt ?
    There are many people who buy Nintendo consoles for the sole reason of playing pokemon ( like me ). If pokemon stopped selling, they would loose all that revenue. And then there is the cash from the other parts of the franchise which they would loose too.
    So, do you think Nintendo absolutely requires Pokemon to stay alive ?

( On another note, Nintendo is not going anywhere anytime soon, the 2 biggest game franchises of the world belong to Nintendo, one is Mario and the other is of course pokemon. So, they have plenty of cash ).

Quote Originally Posted by carboncopy View Post
    What if the pokemon franchise stopped generating money all of a sudden ? Would Nintendo go bankrupt ?
    Not in the slightest.

There are many people who buy Nintendo consoles for the sole reason of playing pokemon ( like me ).
    You - you being the subset of consumers who buy Nintendo hardware for the sole purpose of playing Pokémon - are not an insignificant population, but you are not a majority or even close to one by any stretch of the imagination.

So, do you think Nintendo absolutely requires Pokemon to stay alive ?
    Not at all. They would be without a significant seller, to be sure, but in no way, shape or form would they be at any risk of going under.

( On another note, Nintendo is not going anywhere anytime soon, the 2 biggest game franchises of the world belong to Nintendo, one is Mario and the other is of course pokemon. So, they have plenty of cash ).
    Thanks for clearing that up, I was in fact a little worried.

To summarize: what you ask is nothing but the purest fiction and has no chance of happening, on any level. That's not an opinion, that's not a guess, there doesn't need to be the usual "oh but what if..." and "oh but I think..", it's common sense. Please, people, be reasonable.

Nothing to see here. Go about your business.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Pokemon is the second most sold game serie of Nintendo. The first is Mario.

Then, if Pokemon stops generating money, they will gradually stop creating Pokemon games, or at least new generations.

Also, they would fire a lot of people out, or redirect them to other game companies associated to Nintendo.

Nintendo does not NEED pokemon to survive as they have other franchises like Mario, Zelda and even Kirby making them shedloads.
    What I'm saying is, if nintendo didn't have pokemon they would definitely notice it.
    But it wouldn't spell catastrophe for them either, they would go bankrupt and people would still buy their consoles/other games =D.
    My Shiny Pokemon:

5th Gen:
    ;Emolga; ;Solosis;

6th Gen:
    Greninja ;Volcarona; (X2) Aegislash ;Lampent; Diggersby

Luvin' the t'wigs <3
    3DS fc: Paddy 2621-3316-5077 (Pm if you add me)

They would eliminate TONS of jobs worldwide and future nintendo games may have a lower budget to be created on.
    My 3DS FC is 2964-8767-0282 PM me if you add me!

Visit Me and Chapter of Charizards gaming blog. Fans are always appreciated and welcomed. Feel free to comment!

i'm sure they would have problems at first, but they own so many other popular money making games in the end it wouldn't even matter.
    this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the tail, and ending with a grin.
    - Lewis Carrol's Alice Adventures In Wonderland(the Cheshire Cat)

click my Pokemon/eggs please! http://new.gpxplus.net/user/Furret-Luver-Girl

(\\_/)
    (*u*) This is Bunny.
    (>< ) help him achieve world domination copy him to ur signature~

I'm basically just parroting people here: Nintendo has Mario, Legend of Zelda, Kirby, and more to back up on if Pokémon were to just end. Not to mention that they will always keep on creating new games with new characters who may become popular, well-known characters. Pokémon may give them some of the biggest money next to Mario, but it's not like they would veer toward bankruptcy if Pokémon were to just be cancelled.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

They make another RPG to fill the gap. Expand Monolith Soft, perhaps, or start buddying up to Squeenix or Mistwalker.

I was never really much of a Kirby fan. As far as Kirbiy goes, I like the older games. SNES and NES era. MARIO and friends though, I love. Still, I LOVE Pokemon as well, and I hope that it will never leave from Nintendo's lineup, along with the Legend of Zelda, and Star Fox. Another less popular series I LOVE is Fire Emblem. it's more popular in Japan, but there are a lot of games they need to (IMO) release here in America, so we can play them!

"Small but Brave! Keldeo the Hero!!"

3DS FC- 4141-3093-5467

FS- Flying Safari- Hawlucha,Woobat,Spearow

Please add me to your Friend Roster!

That would make this site irrelevant. That's for sure.

Now, I'm not one to try and make predictions or anything like that. But based on Nintendo's numbers, I don't think losing the Pokemon franchise would be enough to outright kill them as a company. As for whether it can happen or not, I'll simply say this. Everything ends at some point. The important thing is what is done with what we have now.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

Being a Company, Nintendo doesn't have to share all it's finance details with the Public. But being "shares" company, they have shares and Share holders. http://quote.tse.or.jp/tse/quote.cgi...1&mode=M#chart (Oh dear, the price went down over the last year, I personally think it's time to buy Nintendo Stock, before it starts climbing too high.) Nintendo must share some Financial details, but not all, with the share holders. Since I think anyone could buy a share and be a shareholder: This info is make Public on a regular Basis, but hardly is covered by gaming press, partly as very much very numbers based and no Promotions. This is the site about Nintendo's Investors: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/index.html In theory, I could buy a share of Nintendo and I'd could have a "minor" say in how the company is run, but that's not going to happen as unless I buy more shares than anyone else.

Gamefreak is a private Company, and there is no need to share their Finance Details with the general public.

Well, I did do a GSCE in Business Studies, and got a F. (Slightly above "Pass" which is G. Fail is U)
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

Pokemon isn't vital to Nintendo, but that doesn't mean they are going to stop making new games anytime soon. Pokemon games are usually bestsellers, but can't generate as much money as mario, the large fanbase simply isn't large enough to beat out Mario's. Even if Pokemon were to stop selling, and became extremely unpopular Nintendo would still have a lot of money.
    Regional Favorites
    .:Kanto:.
    .:Johto:.
    .:Hoenn:.
    .:Sinnoh:.
    .:Unova:.

Pokemon is definitely vital to Nintendo, and as long as Nintendo is around, I think Pokemon will be too. Imagine losing Pikachu and Jigglypuff from future Smash Bros., and next generations of gamers not being able to have to choose between fire (woot!), water, and grass. If Nintendo cuts Pokemon, they will loose TONS, of money worldwide, and games will have to be without the money Pokemon gave them, and would no longer be able to actually incorporate Pokemon into their game. For example, you can say goodbye to the Pikachu Mask in LOZ, get rid of Pokemon in SSB, and take out Pokemon Cameos; like in Rhythm Hunter: HarmoKnight. You think the world will toss the Pikachu and Pokeball float in the Thanksgiving Parade out the window? No. Pokemon is a huge franchise for Nintendo; it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

Formerly: Chapter of Charizard

Well, it is the second-largest franchise that Nintendo owns so, pretty important.
    I like Metagross, and I used to claim it!
    Spheal with it.

Spoiler:- 3DS Friend Code:

Quote Originally Posted by AmusedMilk View Post
    Well, it is the second-largest franchise that Nintendo owns so, pretty important.
    Not just that, it's the second-largest video game franchise in general.

Pokémon actually saved Nintendo in the late 90s. Things were a bit grim and Pokémon generated loads of money. It also, to this day, spurs sales of their handhelds to no end. On launch, BW sold over 2,500,000 units in Japan alone, in two days...just under 4 million in its launch month..no other game in Japan sells that much day one

Pokemon is always a guarantee for Nintendo. Kids be always buy a million copies. That's why, in my opinion, Nintendo should focus more on the hardcore gamers for their consoles and leave the handhelds to the casual gamers. Of course, Pokemon could go either way and appeals to all, but it is a guarantee in the kids' department.

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    Not just that, it's the second-largest video game franchise in general.

Pokémon actually saved Nintendo in the late 90s. Things were a bit grim and Pokémon generated loads of money. It also, to this day, spurs sales of their handhelds to no end. On launch, BW sold over 2,500,000 units in Japan alone, in two days...just under 4 million in its launch month..no other game in Japan sells that much day one
    Dragon Quest sells about that much day one in Japan, but that's about it.

Handheld sales would probably take a dive at the worst, but Pokemon's death wouldn't even come close to bankrupting Nintendo. They've still got a ton of other great franchises.
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 5th January 2013 at 7:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Pokemon makes a lot of money for Nintendo. I predict it would keep going on like how Zelda, Mario, and Metroid do since their first games in the 1980's. Why do people keep posting about the death of Pokemon anyway?
    3DS Friend Code
    4854-6478-8554
    Friend Safari
    Fire with Magmar, Slugma, and Braixen. Please PM if you want to add me.

Shinies Obtained
    Crobat, Golem, Magnezone, Butterfree, Spheal, Luvdisc, Charizard, Xatu

Shinies obtained from GTS/Trades
    Parasect, Glameow, Chansey, Deoxys, Lugia, Machamp, Linoone, Spiritomb

Well, Nintendo has other franchises that it can then fall back on if Pokemon was to go bust. Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong...

Lost my Platinum, so that's not good. On the other hand, I have heartgold and my FC is:

Jimmy

5070 6163 8015

There's such demand for Pokemon though...I don't think Nintendo would go bankrupt, they do have plenty of other games, but the blow from Pokemon no longer generating income for them would be massive. They wouldn't be worth anywhere near as much.

Pokémon makes Nintendo a ton of money and if they stopped making Pokémon games, I'm sure that Nintendo would still be fine (maybe not at first) with all their other franchises bringing in the money.
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:

Spoiler:- Claimed Anime Songs/Anime List:

Pokemon isn't that vital to Nintendo, particularly in the sense that Nintendo is a large-scale conglomerate and could care less about what you think. Sure, you could always blame the real people behind the wheel, Gamefreak, but it can be assumed that Nintendo has enough money to make GF do whatever they want them to.

The question you need to ask at this point, really, is "Even if Pokemon stopped existing, would it really be all that bad now that we've gone this far?" Think about it. New generations exist primarily to introduce another 150 some odd Mons, and aside from the "Gameplay enhancement" and "Story Development," those are all features built in to hide the fact that Pokemon is nothing more than a highly addictive substance.

Really, there are over 600 of the darn things now, and whenever you spend enough time to get the Dex finished, the Generation is usually halfway over already. Think of it this way: If you see an insane man collecting sand particles on the beach, are you just going to dump more sand on him? I mean, shouldn't you help him?

The point is that while Pokemon makes money, it is easily replaceable, and might in fact be a beneficiary loss. The first post in this thread by BCVM22 summed this up better than I or anybody else, so the point is roughly moot anyway.

Creating sentience is simple. Accepting it, however, is harder than it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudnugget1 View Post
    Pokemon is nothing more than a highly addictive substance.
    Thus, I'd have to agree with, but there are other franchises which are nothing more than a highly addictive substance that would end up causing more harm than good to Nintendo. Ever hear of Super Mario Bros, because that franchise's success is 100000% addiction and 0% anything else. If they were going to stop that, not only would they have to lay off a large amount of people, but they will be hard-pressed to pick themselves up after that due to it being it's main source of income. Thus, proving your argument, while credible, invalidated.
    RNG Practice to get perfect shiny legends from BW2

Friend Code: 4124-5357-7452 PM me if you add.
    Safari: Flying
    Pokemon: Pidgey, Woobat, Tropius

Nintendo's worth would plummet, and the fan backlash would be TREMENDOUS. Dedicated pokemon fans may start boycotts until their favorite franchise returns, ruining Nintendo.
    My 3DS FC is 2964-8767-0282 PM me if you add me!

Visit Me and Chapter of Charizards gaming blog. Fans are always appreciated and welcomed. Feel free to comment!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast