Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 68

Thread: Anyone else think Poison type needs a buff?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    8

    Default Anyone else think Poison type needs a buff?

    Only super effective against one type- (Grass). It is the only type that is only super effective against one type, with the exception to the Normal type. Additionally, being good against the grass type is not that impressive. Grass has a boatload of weaknesses to types that generally hit harder (Fire, for example).

    Only 4 resistances- (Poison, Fighting, Grass, Bug). Not bad, but not great either. In my experience these are less common types, however.

    No immunities. There are 7 types with immunities (nearly half). Poison does not have one.

    It does not affect Steel.

    Two weaknesses- (Ground, Psychic)- not bad, though these are two common types/moves.

    With that being said, there are some good/common/heavily used poison type moves, such as Toxic or toxic spikes, but my main emphasis is on the type itself. Personally, I think the biggest problem is the lack of power poison types. The only type with fewer strengths is the Normal type, but Normal's are common because there are plenty of power pokemon in that type (Snorlax, Blissey, etc) There is a reason that there has only ever been 1 poison gym/elite four user, with none since Gen 2. Most of the best poison types were in gen 1, but they've lost some of their power with many core offensive poison attacks becoming special attacks. Gen 4 was another step in the right direction with Skuntank and Drapion, but then Gen 5 took a dump with only 3 (mediocre) poison types. At the very least, I think Poison should be super-effective against Bug.
    *Pokemon player since 1999.

    Starters:
    Gen I- Charmander (Fire)
    Gen II- Totodile (Water)
    Gen III- Mudkip (Water)
    Gen IV- Turtwig (Grass)
    Gen V- Tepig (Fire)
    Gen VI- Froakie (Water)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Drangleic
    Posts
    8,943

    Default

    Poison=SE vs Water

    that's it really.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Going to Pasalacqua
    Posts
    2,835

    Default

    Theres always the weakest one in the family.
    Kalos shinies (Some):
    - Vivillon Hunt Complete! -

    Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Didney Worl
    Posts
    703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Poison=SE vs Water

    that's it really.
    No, Poison shouldn't be super effective against Water because that wouldn't make any sense.
    If you took first-aid classes before getting a drivers license, water is used for the contact or consuming of anything acidic or chemical to dilute them.
    Water should resist Poison and be super effective against it, because it makes it weaker.

    Yes, I am speaking about acids and chemicals, but it should also dilute the purity of Poison and the Poison types have an attack called Acid.


    Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Poison types are the types I tend to lean towards because I like how they look [with the exception of Trubbish, and its evolved form. -_-'], they're not the most liked Pokemon, and they have done me good in a lot of gym battles and even gotten through the Elite Four.
    I have to admit though, you have a point. I always that that Poison Types should be strong against physic types, even though in the games they're weak against it. Some poisons can really effect the brain. The best way to explain this for Pokemon terms would be to take the Tracker Jackers from The Hunger Games. [Am I the only one who basically imagined them as Beedrills? xD] The venom in them really messed up people's mind, and even killed that one girl who's name I forgot. [No, I'm not the biggest fan of that book or movie. xD They're good though.] There are ways to explain this in chemistry, and other real-world things, but I think the Tracker Jackers explain it best for Pokemon. xD
    Last edited by *~Silver*~; 7th January 2013 at 8:15 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Elsa's Ice Palace.
    Posts
    3,492

    Default

    poison shouls be effective on water since coz of the polluted thing nya~
    "It's hard enough breaking a limited edition 3DS that a girl cherished,
    but breaking her feelings like a thin layer of ice is another thing..."


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PopPrincess_Lyra View Post
    poison shouls be effective on water since coz of the polluted thing nya~
    I guess certain moves would be more effective than others. Sludge attack would be effective, but moves like Poison Gas would do little-to-nothing on a water Pokemon.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    785

    Default

    Despite all the disadvantages you posted about poison type, I don't think it needs alteration. We have the type match-up set since Generation II and it was going too drastic to change it on Generation VI (if there were one). Poison is paired with many types, so they can fix the weakness as well as many poison-type Pokemons have large movepools, allowing them to use other non-poison type moves.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    Despite all the disadvantages you posted about poison type, I don't think it needs alteration. We have the type match-up set since Generation II and it was going too drastic to change it on Generation VI (if there were one). Poison is paired with many types, so they can fix the weakness as well as many poison-type Pokemons have large movepools, allowing them to use other non-poison type moves.
    That's true. Most Poison Pokemon can use Dark Type attacks, which can actually give them some advantages to many Physic Pokemon, even though Poison is supposed to be weak against it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    1,384

    Default

    Poison>Normal
    Poison>Dark
    Poison>Water

    Yep sounds about fair and reasonable.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Eon Gardens
    Posts
    289

    Default

    And it doesn't affect one-type. Steel. Even though I think it should be SE against it because acid burns through stuff.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
    Poison>Normal
    Poison>Dark
    Poison>Water

    Yep sounds about fair and reasonable.
    Poison>Water could be a reference to polluted water, but if Poison is good enough to be super effective against Normal I think every other type out there can be too. I don't really see the link with Dark either.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    106

    Default

    I think most Poison Types shoudl recieve some kind of stat boost, Arbok and Nidoking could be bumped up just a tad so their a little more physical. For me personally I just don't think there are many cool looking Poison types and that's what i'm looking for.
    X FC 1650 1536 9669

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Brazil
    Posts
    4,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
    No, Poison shouldn't be super effective against Water because that wouldn't make any sense.
    If you took first-aid classes before getting a drivers license, water is used for the contact or consuming of anything acidic or chemical to dilute them.
    Water should resist Poison and be super effective against it, because it makes it weaker.

    Yes, I am speaking about acids and chemicals, but it should also dilute the purity of Poison and the Poison types have an attack called Acid.
    Poison is also associated to pollution, and polluted water becomes useless as well as killing everything that lives in it.

    So, yes, Poison should be super effective against Water.
    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

    "Oh, and here is my grandson. …Erm, what was his name now?"

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Maybe gen 6 will introduce a type that poison can beat.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
    You just lost the game.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    GMT +8:00 (PHT)
    Posts
    42

    Default

    I agree with SE water and bug (the latter weak to insecticide). and if flying types is considered air/wind, might as well include it.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
    No, Poison shouldn't be super effective against Water because that wouldn't make any sense.
    If you took first-aid classes before getting a drivers license, water is used for the contact or consuming of anything acidic or chemical to dilute them.
    Water should resist Poison and be super effective against it, because it makes it weaker.

    Yes, I am speaking about acids and chemicals, but it should also dilute the purity of Poison and the Poison types have an attack called Acid.
    >implying weaknesses and resistances have to make sense: Bug>Dark, Grass>Electric, Fighting>Steel, Psychic>Poison

    I think that being super-effective vs water would be great and would make sense for the most part (pollution). It also wouldn't have too much of a negative impact on the competitive meta. I'm all for it. Poison's been shafted for too long!

    The only reason I disagree with poison being good against bug is because it would make poor Parasect even weaker ._.


    Also I had an idea. What if poison was sort of divided into a subtype, just a couple moves though. For instance, acid and acid spray have a secondary effect that allow them to hit steel types. Maybe acid armor makes it so physical poison attacks hit steel types? Think how solarbeam in the sun requires no charging, minimize+stomp, dcurl+rollout, etc,
    Last edited by BaneRain; 7th January 2013 at 3:56 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the Area of Johto
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Poison should be super effective of Water. I mean, it impures the natural water they have. It should be resistant to Water.


    DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

    Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Route 123, looking for Celebi
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
    No, Poison shouldn't be super effective against Water because that wouldn't make any sense.
    If you took first-aid classes before getting a drivers license, water is used for the contact or consuming of anything acidic or chemical to dilute them.
    Water should resist Poison and be super effective against it, because it makes it weaker.

    Yes, I am speaking about acids and chemicals, but it should also dilute the purity of Poison and the Poison types have an attack called Acid.
    This right here. The type chart doesn't make sense sometimes, but this is just too far.

    If anything, poison should be SE against fighting. It already resists it for whatever reason, so this would just be an extension of an existing connection rather than the creation of a rather tenuous new one. Also, most of what I hear about poison's defensive capabilities is good, so I don't think there's any reason to add on to that.


    98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Fangirls dreams
    Posts
    3,870

    Default

    Poison, the type is pretty weak. But the Pokemon of the type are always a pain to defeat, imo. just look at Muk, Swalot, roserade and Crobat, for example.


    Mercy
    Without understanding, it is merely an excuse
    for the weak to escape Judgement

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Brazil
    Posts
    4,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    This right here. The type chart doesn't make sense sometimes, but this is just too far.
    Have you even bothered reading the thread? Pretty much everyone explained why Poison should be super effective against Water.
    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

    "Oh, and here is my grandson. …Erm, what was his name now?"

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    GMT +8:00 (PHT)
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    If anything, poison should be SE against fighting. It already resists it for whatever reason, so this would just be an extension of an existing connection rather than the creation of a rather tenuous new one. Also, most of what I hear about poison's defensive capabilities is good, so I don't think there's any reason to add on to that.
    Now that you said it, I second this. I can't see why would fighting resist poison. Rather, it should be the other way around.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Route 123, looking for Celebi
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ver-mont View Post
    Have you even bothered reading the thread? Pretty much everyone explained why Poison should be super effective against Water.
    And the post I quoted explained why that explanation made no sense at all. Or did you even bother reading it?


    98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wrapped in a blanket
    Posts
    230

    Default

    How about changing Toxic so it causes bad poisoning only when a Poison-type uses it?

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    And the post I quoted explained why that explanation made no sense at all. Or did you even bother reading it?
    Using dilution to imply that water should be super effective against poison is like saying fire should be be super effective against water because of boiling. It take so much effort to remove the effect (volume-wise) that the effectiveness of Poison is actually emphasized. Concentrated HCl diluted to 1% v/v concentration is still a pretty strong irritant, if not corrosive solution.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •