View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 210 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 110160200206207208209210211212213214220260310 ... LastLast
Results 5,226 to 5,250 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Just hope Gamefreak doesn't pull another middle finger and have the first gym Water with Frillish as the main (that thing with Water Absorb would wall Water/Fighting frog to hell and back).

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLady View Post
    I would really like the the starters to be pure types I loved that about the gen 2 starters
    They might be pure types right now but there's not garantee they'll continue to be in later stages
    . Pokemon Black FC : 2151 3135 7016

. Pokemon White 2 FC : 4814 6076 9041

. Pokemon Y FC : 3325 1707 2950
    | shiny pokemon caught (and bred) in Y : 36

Maddie's successful MM shinies in White 2
    . no shiny charm used .

Current shiny hunt: Torchic - 500+ eggs hatched

Spoiler:- MM results:

Quote Originally Posted by Plus side down side View Post
    That would be pretty cool. I wouldn't mind fighting my own starter.

Maybe they could even do a weaker version of Norman's gym, where one Pokemon focuses on offense, one on defense, and one on speed.
    It would be good for new players, but I don't think they'd really care much for stats. I had no idea my Charmander had stats when I played Blue version and I only focused on its moves and level. I didn't really care about my opponents Pokémon as to which stat they majored in either. Maybe for the fifth or fourth gym that would be okay, because that may give the player more time to think about stats and his or her Pokémons' strengths and weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by your boss View Post
    Just hope Gamefreak doesn't pull another middle finger and have the first gym Water with Frillish as the main (that thing with Water Absorb would wall Water/Fighting frog to hell and back).
    Most people don't evolve their starters before taking on the first Gym. What would be interesting, though, would be if the first Gym resided within your starting town, and the Leader's son or daughter would pick the Starter that your Starter has an advantage over, and he/she gets to give you your first Gym challenge. It would be improbable, but interesting.
        Spoiler:- Just- lol:

Quote Originally Posted by your boss View Post
    thats why you catch another pokemon lol

I miss the days when the starter you chose determined how hard the start of the game was it made you work harder

but then I have at least 3 Pokemon level 15+ before I challenge the 1st gym so they learn some better moves etc and I can make my way to the 2nd and 3rd quicker after those gyms the game really starts

Quote Originally Posted by NO $aints View Post
    Chespin is my favorite i hope his last evolution is bad***
    Me too. I agree with this.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

I'm hoping it's
    Chespin: Grass/Fighting (maybe a knight)
    Fennekin: Fire/Psychic
    Froakie: Water/Dark (maybe a theif)

Altho tbh i dont see how froakie could turn out to be a dark type.

Quote Originally Posted by Afro Smash View Post
    I'm hoping it's

Huh. Haven't thought of a knight. I would love it if he evolved into a knight!
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ Why Alder is my favorite champion.

I barely see the resemblance between Oshawott and Chespin other than the similar faces. We haven't even seen it's evolutions, so we don't even know what it may or may not end up looking like. I'm assuming it will be nothing like Samurottt though.
    To me he looks like a squirrel version with a weird green hairdo... Like N was his role model. That's the best I can think of lol.
    Oh my gosh. You can tell I havent been on here since before X & Y was released.... Signature was before fairy type was even confirmed. Oh lordy that's been awhile ago.

That would be pretty cool. I wouldn't mind fighting my own starter.

Maybe they could even do a weaker version of Norman's gym, where one Pokemon focuses on offense, one on defense, and one on speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by EliJolesy View Post
    To me he looks like a squirrel version with a weird green hairdo... Like N was his role model. That's the best I can think of lol.
    Would that mean he evolves into a copycat Ghetsis? 0_o
    Chespin looks like he has a lot of potential as well as Froakie. I feel Fenne's gonna let us down.
    It would be cool to see Chespin become a knightlike Grass type. Breloom is fighting, and Roserade was a ninja in the anime, but a grass knight would bring a new perspective on Grass types.
        Spoiler:- Just- lol:

Exclamation

They probably won't do it again. In B/W and it's sequels, they made the gyms specifically to tailor to young players. The Cilan/Cress/Chili trio taught about type problems, but literally handed you a Pokemon that had a type advantage. While Cheren did normal, which is the most basic type.

The first gym will probably be similar to Cilan's gym in that it will serve the purpose of a tutorial.
    I hope not. I want the games harder. Nintendo knows a lot of us play the game and were older. Gyms should be harder, the Towers at the end of BW2 were the best part of the games, hands down. I think challenge mode should be optional from the get-go.

And as far as Brock being the first leader in Yellow...I don't know what you're taking about. Once pikachu learned quick attack you could rip through his Geodude and thunder shock ripped through Onix...SOOO I dont know what you guys are smoking.
    I am EkwEE, love me....forever more....

Quote Originally Posted by Afro Smash View Post
    I'm hoping it's

And no. I want grass/dark.

I hope the 2Ch leak was legit. And Chespear is Grass/Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by EkwEE View Post
    I hope not. I want the games harder. Nintendo knows a lot of us play the game and were older. Gyms should be harder, the Towers at the end of BW2 were the best part of the games, hands down. I think challenge mode should be optional from the get-go.

And as far as Brock being the first leader in Yellow...I don't know what you're taking about. Once pikachu learned quick attack you could rip through his Geodude and thunder shock ripped through Onix...SOOO I dont know what you guys are smoking.
    Onix is a ground type... so it probably didn't.

But I wouldn't mind challenge to be easy from the beginning. In fact, it would be awesome if I didn't have to beat the game in order to make it challenging.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.

What 2ch leak? I haven't been on for a bit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Shraeder~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So I herd u liek Mudkipz...So do I!
    FC: 4742-5645-2960
    Friend Safari: Aipom, Audino, and DITTO!

And a little review about weakness and advantages on Water combinations.

Water/Fighting
    Weakness: Electric, Grass, Flying, Psychic
    Resistances: Fire, Water, Ice, Bug, Rock, Dark, Steel (7)
    Advantages: None.
    Precedents: Poliwrath, Keldeo
    Where it fails: Low stats / In case of Keldeo, bad movepool.
    Tier: RU / OU

Water/Dark
    Weakness: Electric, Grass, Fight, Bug
    Resistances: Water, Fire, Ice, Ghost, Dark, Steel. (6)
    Advantages: Immunity to Psychic.
    Precedents: Sharpedo.
    Where it fails: Defenses. It makes it too frail.
    Tier: UU.

Water/Ice
    Weakness: Electric, Grass, Fight, Rock.
    Resistances: Water, Ice (0,25)
    Advantages: None
    Precedents: Dewgong, Cloyster, Lapras, Walrein
    Where it fails: Not too many resistances, defensive-playing and weakness to 2 of the most used types for attacking.
    Tier: NU / OU / NU / NU.
    Note: Cloyster is OU due his high defense stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Autis-misc View Post
    I was talking about Butterfree.
    LOL, too much pressure for our Butterfree friend :3
    Anyway, you shouldn't think that the gyms will determine the types of the starters rather than the types will determine the gyms.

There is nothing in Chespin's design that makes me think it will evolve into a Grass/Dark. Also, this type combination is terrible (Mind you, Dark is my favorite type, but I can't deny the facts). If anything, I think Chespin's evo will be Grass/Ground, Grass/Flying or Grass/Ghost. Fennekin, Fire/Psychic and Froakie, Water/Fighting (A boxer? a Jiraiya-like ninja?), Water/Flying (A frog riding on a cloud?) or Water/Dark (Yes, maybe a thief). And to hell everyone who wants they to evolve into pure types. Seriously, pure-typed Pokémon suck and their movepools are lame. :P

It appears you are correct. I could've swore he was only a rock type. I am high on pain pills though. Haha. And yeah, that's all I really want. They nailed the game layout I'd like with BW2. Judy give us the option to name it much harder. I'd like to see most of the moms have stats that qualify for UU tier. And all the starters should have great movepools. Serperior got screwed. And none of grass starters really make out well in that department. Torterra was decent I'm that department. I would just like the starters to be viable competitively.

If Chespin is Grass/Dark: 6 Weaknesses
    If Fennekin is Fire/Psychic: 5 Weaknesses
    If Froakkie is Water/Fighting: 4 Weaknesses

So it isn't really that big of a deal. To match those 6 weaknesses Chespin would have 7 resistances, so it balances out.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Shraeder~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So I herd u liek Mudkipz...So do I!
    FC: 4742-5645-2960
    Friend Safari: Aipom, Audino, and DITTO!

It appears you are correct. I could've swore he was only a rock type. I am high on pain pills though. Haha. And yeah, that's all I really want. They nailed the game layout I'd like with BW2. Judy give us the option to name it much harder. I'd like to see most of the moms have stats that qualify for UU tier. And all the starters should have great movepools. Serperior got screwed. And none of grass starters really make out well in that department. Torterra was decent I'm that department. I would just like the starters to be viable competitively.
    Agreed. I love my grass starters dearly, but they need to help them out a bit. I could see Chespin turning into something pretty great though.

And for some reason, I can't get rid of this nagging feeling that Fennekin is going to end up being somewhat disappointing competitively. Just because so many people are putting their chips on it. It will end up being like how Snivy was the most popular starter during the revelation period, but ends up becoming hardly used.

Quote Originally Posted by Shraeder View Post
    What 2ch leak? I haven't been on for a bit.
    It was on reddit. Some guy posted a supposed leak of the starters names and final evolutions and a guy on reddit translated.

Fennekins final is called Fernox (romanized) and is fire/psychic
    Froakie is Frobanet and is water fighting
    Chespin is Chespear and Grass/dark

There' also a rock/steel/fire legendary trio and I think a psychic too. The region's bird is based off a finch. Ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Shraeder View Post
    If Chespin is Grass/Dark: 6 Weaknesses
    If Fennekin is Fire/Psychic: 5 Weaknesses
    If Froakkie is Water/Fighting: 4 Weaknesses

So it isn't really that big of a deal. To match those 6 weaknesses Chespin would have 7 resistances, so it balances out.
    Yes, it is, because the weaknesses are to very common types (Fire, ICE, Bug 4x, Fighting). There are two Grass/Dark Pokémon that suffer because of their type combination. Froakie would be better with the Dark secondary type, 4 weaknesses, none of them would be 4x, 6 resistances and one immunity. So unless you guys want a lame Grass starter, you should hope for it not become a Grass/Dark Pokémon.

Both trios works well IMHO. I prefer Water/Fighting but then again I don't mind if it's Water/Dark just for the sake of having a Grass/Fighting.
    Still I believe that Fighting suits more Froakie. Why you ask? Pure forum hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungoliath View Post
    Still I believe that Fighting suits more Froakie. Why you ask? Pure forum hype.
    It does suit, regardless of forum hype. And the Water/Fighting combination is good, almost anything with Fighting end up being awesome anyway.
    But Chespin... It deserves a secondary type that doesn't totally screw its life.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post

It does suit, regardless of forum hype. And the Water/Fighting combination is good, almost anything with Fighting end up being awesome anyway.
    But Chespin... It deserves a secondary type that doesn't totally screw its life.
    I wouldn't mind ground type either. As long as he could get sweepers stats. Or Even become a bulky offensive build with a lot of support moves. But ground has been done, and dark could open up a really interesting movepool.

It was on reddit. Some guy posted a supposed leak of the starters names and final evolutions and a guy on reddit translated.

Fennekins final is called Fernox (romanized) and is fire/psychic
    Froakie is Frobanet and is water fighting
    Chespin is Chespear and Grass/dark

There' also a rock/steel/fire legendary trio and I think a psychic too. The region's bird is based off a finch. Ect.
    The Bolded part is the part that makes me think this is 100% fake. the games get released Internationally, so Pokemon Company USA would already have names for the third stages.
    And you questioned my sanity. My Anime List

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    if Arceus is the Alpha Pokemon

wouldn't Mega Arceus be

the O-Mega Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post

LOL
    Grass/Dark is not bad...Is it? Let me make a quick review:

Weakness: Fire, Ice, Fight, Poison, Flying, Bug (x4).
    Resistances: Water, Electric, Grass, Ground, Ghost, Dark, Psychic (0)
    Precedents: Shiftry / Cacturne
    Tier: NU / NU

Offensive playing has a lot of moves on Fire and Fight, it's luck that Bug is not that popular. Fear Volcarona and Genesect, though. If it has at least 530 it will be better than most bugs except the two I mention. It has nice resistances, since Electric, Dark and Psychic are common on offensive playing and Ground is a must in every team. It needs high defenses if it needs to be balanced, though. If it can reach an 80/80 on both defenses it will be good enough. HP needs to be high as well.
    Considering that the hood could evolve into a shell of sorts, I say it will be defense oriented regardless the type it ends up being.
    Last edited by Ungoliath; 19th January 2013 at 3:12 AM.

Page 210 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 110160200206207208209210211212213214220260310 ... LastLast