View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 102 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 2529298991001011021031041051061121522021102 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rocky505 View Post
    I can already see Chespin getting pin missile.
    Why? Because of it being based on a Chestnut?

Speaking of chestnuts, that might be the new Casteliacone thing, since in winter, people in Europe like eating Baked (don't know the adjective in English) Chestnuts.

Actually it is strange... CoroCoro has always revealed the starters.. Yeah we already have them, so why don't to show them? I mean the starters in next month issue would be a totally waste..if there's still someone who hasn't seen them now, after a week, there will surely not be next month..

Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    Why? Because of it being based on a Chestnut?

Speaking of chestnuts, that might be the new Casteliacone thing, since in winter, people in Europe like eating Baked (don't know the adjective in English) Chestnuts.
    It's not just based on a Chestnut it is also based on a Hedgehog.

Yes that is a Female Dino Charge Red. It's a FanFic thing
    3DS FC: 3995-6518-0794

Quote Originally Posted by rocky505 View Post
    It's not just based on a Chestnut it is also based on a Hedgehog.
    Hum, erm, in what way is it? |Unless there are drastically different species of hedgehog from Europe to wherever nyou live.

Hum, erm, in what way is it? |Unless there are drastically different species of hedgehog from Europe to wherever nyou live.
    Part of Chespin's name means Hedgehog, this applies to many different languages. How many times have this been explained...

Read the name origins of it on Bulbagarden. Multiple versions of it's name has something to do with Hedgehog.

Yes that is a Female Dino Charge Red. It's a FanFic thing
    3DS FC: 3995-6518-0794

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow♠ View Post
    Part of Chespin's name means Hedgehog, this applies to many different languages. How many times have this been explained...
    All it says on Bulbapedia's Name Origin is that it draws inspiration from Chestnut, Pin, Chinkapin (species of Chestnut), Spina (latin for thorn), and Urchin, which is an outdated term for Hedgehogs.

Note the OUTDATED part of it.
    Last edited by dirkac; 11th January 2013 at 6:28 PM.

Chespin's names in other nationalities do back him up on his theory. And since when are Hedgehogs known for being portrayed correctly in game? Sonic looks almost nothing like a hedgehog. The only thing he has are spikes. But, alas, he is one.

EDIT: NINJA'D. But I'm pretty sure the japanese name refers to Hedgehog, in some extent
    Farmer, monster slayer, adventurer...

And womanizer, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by john90 View Post
    Actually it is strange... CoroCoro has always revealed the starters.. Yeah we already have them, so why don't to show them? I mean the starters in next month issue would be a totally waste..if there's still someone who hasn't seen them now, after a week, there will surely not be next month..
    If I understand correctly, we did not have seen yet the full CoroCoro. The information is the leak of that issue if I recall correctly. Just wait until it's released and then it will probably show the starters and some more few Pokemon. Probably the regional bird.

I noticed that yveltal corocoro page is (74), xerneas is (75) and Genesect is (80).. Usually they put all pokemon stuff together. So, assuming that legends pages are the first two, we should have at least 4 more pages about pokemon.. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Raguna View Post
    Chespin's names in other nationalities do back him up on his theory. And since when are Hedgehogs known for being portrayed correctly in game? Sonic looks almost nothing like a hedgehog. The only thing he has are spikes. But, alas, he is one.

EDIT: NINJA'D. But I'm pretty sure the japanese name refers to Hedgehog, in some extent
    Yes, I know. But that only means that the name draws inspiration from it, unless it is officially called a hedgehog.

But then again, nothing has actually been called the species officcially, so it could be Whale in the Pokémon World for all we knoiw.

All it says on Bulbapedia's Name Origin is that it draws inspiration from Chestnut, Pin, Chinkapin (species of Chestnut), Spina (latin for thorn), and Urchin, which is an outdated term for Hedgehogs.

Note the OUTDATED part of it.
    Look for the name in other languages, as he just said:
    Japanese ハリマロン Harimaron From 蝟 harinezumi(hedgehog), 針 hari(needle), and marron(chestnut).
    French Marisson From hérisson(hedgehog) and marron (chestnut)
    Spanish Chespin Same as English name
    German Igamaro From Ige(hegdehog)l and Marone(chestnut).
    Italian Chespin Same as English name

Yes, I know. But that only means that the name draws inspiration from it, unless it is officially called a hedgehog.

But then again, nothing has actually been called the species officcially, so it could be Whale in the Pokémon World for all we knoiw.
    Yeah. But still, I would like to see which direction they could go with the hedgehog thing. Might end up looking cool in his final evo.

I love how these starters have a focus on each of them, fennekins ears, froakies bubbles and chespins shell

White2 Friend code: 0519-7592-3571
    X Friend code: 0216-1851-5361
    My safari: FIRE, slugma,growlith,ninetales

(I am new to this forum. I have been playing Pokémon since Generation I, but I have always been a more private player; seeing other people so invested in and enthusiastic about the game - plus the excitement surrounding X and Y - made me decide to join in on the fun now, too. So, here I go!)

I must admit that I like all three starters pretty much. This has not been the case for the past three generations (I have not found very much room in my heart for Torchic, Piplip or Tepig to this day). Choosing a favourite, therefore, was excitingly hard this time around.

When I first saw Chespin in the trailer, I was not very impressed. It is cute enough, and it certainly might be powerful, but there is something about it I do not like. At first I thought it was its cap's resemblance to too many other previous designs (the first of which that came to my mind is Slowking's crown, though it is not as similar as I thought at first). Only today have I realised what truly nags me: In my opinion, Chespin looks like just another generic rodent with a plant cap put on it. If it actually were a generic rodent like Rattata etc. I would be pleasantly surprised by it; were it a Grass Pokémon encounterable in the wild, I guess I would like it very much, too. However, I do not feel that it lives up to the design-standards I expect from a great starter, which is why I have finally settled not to pick Chespin, and only if its evolutions looked incredibly awesome would I change my mind.

Fennekin is a different matter. The second I saw it in the trailer, I loved it.

And then came Froakie. Now, the thing is this: I love frogs, Water is my favourite type, and while green is my favourite colour, I sure as hell prefer blue to red and yellow. However, because Fennekin took to my heart so easily, I had trouble to appreciate Froakin for all it was at first.

For what it is worth, I guess I do prefer Froakie at the moment - I guess if I had seen it first rather than Fennekin, I would have felt the same way about the two only the other way round (love at first sight for the frog guy, "Well, this is nice also" for the fox). I am waiting for their evolutions, though.

As for the typing, like so many others I hope for Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic and Water/Fighting, if only for the nice type-advantage situation that would cause. Alternately, I would love Froakie to become Water/Ice, Water/Psychic or Water/Dark - or even Water/Poison. And like - as I perceive it - most fans, I would be disappointed in GameFreak if Fennekin ended up as another Fire/Fighting-starter, but I would consider it rather funny more than angering.

Yeah. But still, I would like to see which direction they could go with the hedgehog thing. Might end up looking cool in his final evo.
    I kinda somehow have a theory on how Chespin will evolve;
        Spoiler:- SPOILER:

What i'm trying to say is he's definitely a hedgehog and eventually will get spikier as it evolves.

Quote Originally Posted by john90 View Post
    I noticed that yveltal corocoro page is (74), xerneas is (75) and Genesect is (80).. Usually they put all pokemon stuff together. So, assuming that legends pages are the first two, we should have at least 4 more pages about pokemon.. What do you think?
    That's a good observation. I think that we may get pictures of gameplay or info such as other mechanics as I think it's too early for any more new Pokémon to be revealed.

If I made these starters,

Chespin: grass/fighting
    Fennekin: fire/psychic
    Froakie: water/flying

Although that would mean chespin could be beaten by the stab of either other starter, and couldn't use his stab on any other.. But grass type starters have always been screwed, considering how every (practically) water type learns ice beam.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of the Forums View Post
    If I made these starters,

Chespin: grass/fighting
    Fennekin: fire/psychic
    Froakie: water/flying

Although that would mean chespin could be beaten by the stab of either other starter, and couldn't use his stab on any other.. But grass type starters have always been screwed, considering how every (practically) water type learns ice beam.
    Those are good guesses for the typing's, wouldn't be surprised if the ended up like that
    Add me on Pokemon X! FC- 2809-9372-1773

Looking For Shiny Tyrunt!

Quote Originally Posted by german suplex View Post

What i'm trying to say is he's definitely a hedgehog and eventually will get spikier as it evolves.
    Great theory. And maybe...
        Spoiler:- Chespin:

But anyway, yeah, I'd like to see him getting a rough skin ability, somewhere down the line...

Quote Originally Posted by german suplex View Post

._.

I think that Froakie, will be psychic, considering the spectacles, and the wig, but what does Fennekin get then? Or maybe all three are psychic, and they're trying something new? Or maybe it's completely the opposite?

Argh, I shouldn't be thinking now.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Squirtle View Post
    Dorobou means thief in Japanese. The depicted imagery of dorobou are the stereotypical thieves in Japanese cartoons or other artistic representation. Now, let's say that this thief can also be a ninja. Ninjas in feudal Japan were unorthodox in their methods of warfare. They were considered stealthy, furtive, dark and sinister as assassins and infiltrators whose images completely contrasted with that of the honorable and deliberate Samurai. So, ninjas are clearly depicted as being of dark background and therefore their behavioral type leads us to assume that any ninja-based Pokemon should also be dark.
    Um, Ninjas were actually the peasant class. They weren't as Hollywood has portarayed them; figures cloaked in black who are trained assasins who cling to the shadows. Who're right on the unorthodox bit though, they were mostly of the peasant class so they weren't trained soliders. Although, I will say this, they could of attacked at night (this I could definetly see), and were black to camoflague with the night (iffy on this one.). You're furtive claim has some weight considering they could be considereed akin to guerrilla fighters.
    ... -_-' What, were you expecting a cookie?

._.

I think that Froakie, will be psychic, considering the spectacles, and the wig, but what does Fennekin get then? Or maybe all three are psychic, and they're trying something new? Or maybe it's completely the opposite?

Argh, I shouldn't be thinking now.

I think Froakie won't be psychic. I think he looks too "normal" for psychic type. That type is made out of the graceful and the weird \(beauties and the beasts)

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightFennekin View Post
    I think Froakie won't be psychic. I think he looks too "normal" for psychic type. That type is made out of the graceful and the weird \(beauties and the beasts)
    Actually, wigs and spectacles is the stereotypical beauty of France's olden days.

Great theory. And maybe...
        Spoiler:- Chespin:

But anyway, yeah, I'd like to see him getting a rough skin ability, somewhere down the line...
    I like you

I'm still sticking to the Dorobou theory that was discussed in the previous pages of the thread (Damn I can't recall who started the theory really props to him). See how it resembles the japanese thief? The foam/bubbles on Froakie's back depicts the dorobou bag. And the two bubbles near his nostrils resembles the knots on the dorobou. Though it's only speculation though.

Water/Dark or me.

Page 102 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 2529298991001011021031041051061121522021102 ... LastLast