View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 232 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 132182222228229230231232233234235236242282332 ... LastLast
Results 5,776 to 5,800 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

When I was waiting for generation five.. I was really hoping for a grass/psychic starter :-) which would mean another fire/fighting BUT at that time it was just and . But now that we have ;500; too, I knew that wouldn't happen, so I was hoping for grass/fighting, something like a bear maybe?

But I am glad that it looks like they are doing the reverse dark - psychic - fighting type thing this time round!

I am leaning towards Chespin since I have always loved grass type starters :-) At the moment I believe I stand at probably...
    Chespin: 70%
    Fennekin: 25%
    Froakie: 5%

For what is choose but I do like them all ^^ although I am worried Froakie will fall in with Chimchar's group for me, this group is the list of starter pokemon I've never trained to its final evolution..

Friend Code: 2234 - 8338 - 9114

^A Grass/Psychic Starter would suck... So many weaknesses. Unless it could back them up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    You can never trust what you see during speculation time. I think Chespin's name in other languages imply that he is a hedgehog.
    That's the problem.

It's design is rodent based. A Hedgehog is an Erinaceinae. Or whatever you would call a Hedgehog.

Chespin clearly looks like a Chipmunk, BUT for some odd reason it's somehow a hedgehog. Even a Porcupine is a rodent.

I mean I could see Chespin evolving into a badass Hedgehog, but in of itself, doesn't remind me of a hedgehog. It's too rodent looking.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by aa_623 View Post
    ^A Grass/Psychic Starter would suck... So many weaknesses. Unless it could back them up.
    I hate when people use weaknesses as an argument for how good a Pokemon is.
    Exeggutor, despite its many weaknesses, is a viable competitor.
    Not saying I want Chespin to be Grass/Psychic. On the contrary, I'm hoping for part Rock or simply a pure Grass typing.
    Check out my band's new EP! ... And like us on Facebook while you're at it!
    [IMG]http://oi49.*******.com/21mzpmr.jpg[/IMG]
    Hat by wolfy.

Quote Originally Posted by aa_623 View Post
    Indeed. It would be even worse than Grass/Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by YellowHat's Revenge View Post
    I hate when people use weaknesses as an argument for how good a Pokemon is.
    Exeggutor, despite its many weaknesses, is a viable competitor.
    Not saying I want Chespin to be Grass/Psychic. On the contrary, I'm hoping for part Rock or simply a pure Grass typing.
    I hate when people don't read all the way. I said unless it could back them up, as in as long as it can manage it's various weaknesses any Pokemon, regardless of type, could be successful.

Any one else just realize that if chespin learns aerial ace and is grass/dark then it has an attack that can help against bug types?

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    That's the problem.

It's design is rodent based. A Hedgehog is an Erinaceinae. Or whatever you would call a Hedgehog.

Chespin clearly looks like a Chipmunk, BUT for some odd reason it's somehow a hedgehog. Even a Porcupine is a rodent.

I mean I could see Chespin evolving into a badass Hedgehog, but in of itself, doesn't remind me of a hedgehog. It's too rodent looking.
    Well the rodent-like design may come from the fact that the hedgehog in japanese is 針鼠 (hari nezumi) which is also japanese for porcupine. and when we translate it literally it means needle rat. but i just dont see the chipmunk in chespin.
    chespin look like this to me
    hedge1.jpg
    rather than this
    http://animalstown.com/animals/c/chi...lpaper-02.html

P.S: I also forget to mention, chespin is actually the same as japanese name but more vague. (harimaron pinchestnut)
    Last edited by Amanchu; 22nd January 2013 at 6:59 AM.

What if they go all 'samurott' on the starters last evolutions?

Chespin will evolve into a giant prehistoric armadillo.
    Fennekin will evolve into a sfinx/lion.
    Froakie will evolve into a frog fused with a zeppelin.

Imagine!
    My 3DS games:

- Mario Kart 7 (2011)
    - Resident Evil: Revelations (2011)
    - Super Mario 3D Land (2011)
    - Bravely Default (2012)
    - Fifa 13 (2012)
    - Fire Emblem: Awakening (2012)
    - Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (2013)
    - Pokémon Y (2013)
    - Steel Diver: Sub Wars (2014)

Chespin is supposedly based on a hedgehog, which are known for having pointy quills on their backs. A type of plant that has a reputation for being sharp and thorny is the bush. My guess is that Chespin's final evolution will have a bush motif, specifically, thorn bushes. The final evolution would have bunches of thorns and leaves on its back that act like quills, and when it curls itself into a ball, it would resemble a bush, making it a literal*hedgehog.

Credit to: Meta289

Chespin evo's: Grass/Rock. Derived from Chestnut. I say Rock due to nut's obviously not being the most breakable things in the world, and because it's also supposed to be based on a Hedgehog. If it's third evo rolls up like a Hedgehog, I can imagine it looking just like a nut. A rock hard nut.

Credit to: Blazing Tempest

Credit to Wulava for the Artwork. Thanks so much ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    That's the problem.

The thing is, though, visually, a hedgehog could be mistaken for a rodent. Shrews are not rodents, either, but they look the part. (And the taxonomic equivalent for "rodent" for a hedgehog would be "insectivore", I believe)
    Last edited by X Rat; 22nd January 2013 at 1:10 PM.

Pokemon don't necessarily reflect real-life biology. Even if chespin is supposedly based on a hedgehog, it doesn't matter that he looks more rodentesque.
    Hat by wolfy.

Exactly my point, actual hedgehogs do kind of look like rodents. (I am fairly certain that if you ask an average person if they are rodents, they would think they were)

Yeah, his snout should be more extended or whatever, and his teeth should be more fang-like, but his evos might look closer to the part. (I think the body shape works for a hedgehog, though; more than Sonic's, just saying)
    Last edited by X Rat; 22nd January 2013 at 2:57 PM.

Have you guys seen this http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/69695...mon-x/65248738
    Rumor from 4 chan it seems really cool but also highly unlikely.
    Copy this into your signature if you want to see these guys soon http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...n_with_Oak.png.

Shiny Pokemon I have found: (Both In Pokemon Fire Red) (Yes I found 2, with-in 30 mins of each other as well)

I think they confirmed the starters to be grass/dark, fire/psychic, and water/fighting.
    Im definitely using fennekin first, since I havnt liked a fire starter since 1st and 2nd gen. For once, i actually dislike the grass starter. Im mean ill probably use it at one point, but not start out with it. I will probably get Pokemon X the first time, then get Pokemon Y. I like fennekin, and Froakie, it just looks scary. I thought Chespin was just Pansage with a weird. Mask when I first saw it. legendary X looks down right alien to me. I really like Y legendary though. I can't wait to see the rest of the Pokemon.
    White friend code: 0347 5916 2191
    Black 2 friend code: 0820 1802 1694

Quote Originally Posted by ImAnOKIE12 View Post
    I think they confirmed the starters to be grass/dark, fire/psychic, and water/fighting.
    No, they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post

No, they didn't.
    Didn't you get the memo? On the Internet, "confirmed" means "someone somewhere said it". (At least that is what I read on wikipedia)
    Last edited by X Rat; 22nd January 2013 at 4:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonbw View Post
    It IS 4chan, so you can't expect it, but it does sound awesome. If that's true, it'll be hard choosing a starter!
    Currently not playing any Pokemon Games, you can check my Backloggery for games that I AM playing, if you're interested:

If I'm playing a Pokemon game, I'll have my signature display the game I'm playing, current team, and badge number.

I've got high hopes for Fennekin, a fire/psychic starter would be very cool.

Sie sind das Essen und wir sind die Jäger!
    deviantART | Twitter
    3DS FC: 2595-0280-9012

I'd love to see Fennekin as a pure Fire starter. We had three dual-type Fire-type starters in a row, it is time to balance things a bit.
    Dual-type starters:

Grass: Venusaur, Torterra.
    Water: Swampert, Empoleon.
    Fire: Charizard, Blaziken, Infernape, Emboar

Hopefully Froakie and Chespin will join the crew by having secondary types. Fennekin can join Typhlosion as a pure Fire starter.

Quote Originally Posted by X Rat View Post
    Didn't you get the memo? On the Internet, "confirmed" means "someone somewhere said it". (At least that is what I read on wikipedia)
    If that is the case, then yes, they "confirmed" the starters types. Haha.

so far i am in love with the fox. it's final form reminds me of kirara from Inuyasha which i enjoyed a great deal. I want it to be a fire/ psychic type becuse i would love a nice special sweeper on my team. I know that i may be asking alot but i want for it to be on the level of Alakazam as far as stats go, and yes i will name it kirara.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonbw View Post
    That is, indeed, a cool rumor.
    But a rumor, nonetheless.

Pretty much matches the theory I heard elsewhere about the European influence on the starters. I heard Chespin was a knight, Fennekin a mage...
    This is the first time I've heard of Froakie being a viking, though. Seems like an awesome idea.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowlord777 View Post
    so far i am in love with the fox. it's final form reminds me of kirara from Inuyasha which i enjoyed a great deal. I want it to be a fire/ psychic type becuse i would love a nice special sweeper on my team. I know that i may be asking alot but i want for it to be on the level of Alakazam as far as stats go, and yes i will name it kirara.
    Oh, does it? Let me ask you, how would you know what it's final form looks like?
    Hat by wolfy.

Quote Originally Posted by King91 View Post
    I've got high hopes for Fennekin, a fire/psychic starter would be very cool.
    She's already a great Pokemon in my opinion, which is why I'm not too bothered about what her evolved forms will look like or what type combination they'll have. I'm much more concerned with Fennekin's popularity, which seems consistent so far, but that could change in a heartbeat.

Actually, i know the most common theory concerning Chespin is that he is based on a hedgehog, but I heard another one that could also work. Not sure what site I heard this on, but Chespin is possibly based off of the worlds first mammal- which kinda makes sense considering it is the first mammal grass starter. It also resembles it a lot more than it does a hedgehog (although it does sort of look like a fusion of the two). Below is an image of the mammal in question

http://ijolite.geology.uiuc.edu/00Sp...azostrodon.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Greekboy View Post
    It IS 4chan, so you can't expect it, but it does sound awesome. If that's true, it'll be hard choosing a starter!
    Probably fake..But Wow great imagination..
    " The Starters are inspired by various European-centric archetypes…Chespin becomes a knight with chestnut armor, Fennekin a wizard with a majestic fur cloak, and Froakie a Nordic Viking with a thunder-cloud mullet/beard combo".
    I could see all of them like this (Froakie my choice by far), all would stand on 2 legs actually.. And the legends switching types and colour?? O.O
    It was really exciting however, until I read:
    "The Starters become Grass/Steel, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Electric".
    "Dark: Raccoon. Its tail serves as a burglar sack, and it’s got a stylish black mask".
    Game Freak never gives has what we predicted.. And the fire/psychic starter, the (yeah I know it was for a dark froakie but always) burglar sack for a Dark Pokemon and thunder clouded frog were all in speculation these days...

Page 232 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 132182222228229230231232233234235236242282332 ... LastLast