View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

    845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

    1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

    849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

    127 4.03%
Page 400 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 300350390396397398399400401402403404410450500 ... LastLast
Results 9,976 to 10,000 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

  1. #9976
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kalos Region
    Posts
    1,290

    Default

    Why is it a problem that some starters arn't good enough for competetive?
    It is not like the end of the world right? ... Or is it? *PAM PAAAN PAAAAM*

    At the moment number 10 in double battles of the Netherlands.

  2. #9977
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia, Brisbane
    Posts
    176

    Default

    The competitive scene isn't fan made.

    The mechanics put in the game such as EV's and IV's along with items that allow to player to directly manipulate these mechanics suggest GF is very aware of the competitive scene and creates Pokemon/items to accommodate it.

    Look at some of the decisions they have made in the past. Things such as giving Ninetales/Toad Drizzle and Drought out of all the other Pokemon suggest it was a carefully planned decision. There are countless examples. Dragonite falling behind the pack in OU, give it Marvel Scale.
    Pokemon X
    Name: Ry
    FC: 3926 5477 2209
    Badges: 8
    True Champion of Kalos



    Dogs of War



    HA Pokemon I have:
    Froakie, Fennekin, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Goomy, Fletchling, Venipede, Sableye, Natu, Shroomish, Mienshao, Litleo, Emolga, Blitzle, Phantump, Pumpkaboo, Dratini

  3. #9978
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Starters:
    Ubers-1
    OU-2
    UU-3
    RU-3
    NU-6

    They don't automatically fall to the bottom of the barrel, they just aren't the best. Over half are above NU and when Dream World ever releases Snivy I'm sure Serperior will shoot straight to OU. Emboar to RU, and Samurott to RU also.

  4. #9979
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Violent Red View Post
    The competitive scene isn't fan made.

    The mechanics put in the game such as EV's and IV's along with items that allow to player to directly manipulate these mechanics suggest GF is very aware of the competitive scene and creates Pokemon/items to accommodate it.

    Look at some of the decisions they have made in the past. Things such as giving Ninetales/Toad Drizzle and Drought out of all the other Pokemon suggest it was a carefully planned decision. There are countless examples. Dragonite falling behind the pack in OU, give it Marvel Scale.
    While Game Freak is very aware of the existence of the competitive scene in Pokémon (as shown by the plethora of Wi-fi tournaments and VGC and such), there is no concrete evidence of Game Freak initially designing a Pokémon or its evolution chain to accommodate it. It just so happens that because many players want to keep their starters throughout the course of the game that it makes sense to make them stronger so that a spot in the team for them will more often be kept. And this added strength is often enough of a difference to promote an otherwise-NU Pokémon to RU/UU, or an otherwise-UU one to OU.

    But no, the fact that two of three fully-evolved starter Pokémon of a region have made it to OU (three, if you consider only the home generation) doesn't mean that those starters were designed to "accommodate" the competitive scene.

    On the other hand, it's quite hard to make an argument for Dragonite getting Multiscale and Slowbro getting Regenerator. But because these abilities weren't given to them until the fifth generation (rather than the third) means that this is different from designing a starter with these abilities already factored in with their design from the get-go.

    In the case of fifth-generation Pokémon having been designed with DW abilities already factored in, I don't think most of them got DW abilities that fit them the same way that Multiscale does for Dragonite and Regenerator does for Slowbro.





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  5. #9980
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    With Yo Mamma
    Posts
    2,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SylveonLover View Post
    Starters:
    Ubers-1
    OU-2
    UU-3
    RU-3
    NU-6


    They don't automatically fall to the bottom of the barrel, they just aren't the best. Over half are above NU and when Dream World ever releases Snivy I'm sure Serperior will shoot straight to OU. Emboar to RU, and Samurott to RU also.

    Emboar's already RU, so its next stop is UU. Samurott's Hidden Ability isn't too good, and it's only a tad better then Torrent.

    I hope the Fennekin line get Magic Guard/Bounce as their Hidden Ability Fennekin really reminds me of Alakazam and Espeon, two foxes who got these abilities in the DW. I could see it happening more if Fenn evolves into a Psy/Ghost

  6. #9981
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Hyrule
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Is it even confirmed that the dream world is in this game? I've seen people talking about hidden abilities for the starters for ages, but to be honest it may not even be a part of the game. It was a nice touch for gen V but they might be planning something else this gen.

    Plus even if dream world natures do continue, it's going to be a while before we see them (how many of the current starters do people have from the dream world....)

    November 2014

    Signatures by darside34 @deviantart

  7. #9982
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pluto
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightFennekin View Post
    Emboar's already RU, so its next stop is UU. Samurott's Hidden Ability isn't too good, and it's only a tad better then Torrent.

    I hope the Fennekin line get Magic Guard/Bounce as their Hidden Ability Fennekin really reminds me of Alakazam and Espeon, two foxes who got these abilities in the DW. I could see it happening more if Fenn evolves into a Psy/Ghost
    You know...I don't think a pokemon can gain a Ghost type.Just how they can't gain a Bug type...they have to be a ghost and a bug.I'm pretty sure a pkmn has to be dead somehow to be a Ghost type.And I don't see Fennekin dying>.>BUT...it could be based on the spiritual interpretation of fire[fire represents our spirit...water our emotions,air our intellect,earth out physical bodies] and Ghost could be taken literally and it would work.It would be nice to have a more calm,spiritual starter...kinda like Espeon and Mienshao...instead of the butch monsters we got so far.

    My votes:

    Fire/Psychic

    or

    Fire/Ghost

    or

    Fire
    Last edited by Nacreous; 25th March 2013 at 11:40 AM.

    "Fear is Freedom!
    Subjugation is Liberation!
    Contradiction is Truth!
    These are the truths of the world! Surrender to these truths, you pigs in human clothing!"

  8. #9983
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    655

    Default

    I think Froakie is going to be flying type.
    First of all, it has a cloud on its neck. Secondly, many folk-tales have frogs riding clouds, and Nintendo is aware of it as can be seen in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

    As for Fennekin, like all of you, I think it's going to be psychic. Also like all of you, I dread the possibility of it being fighting.

    I have no idea about Chespin, although it's possible it'll be fighting type or maybe even dark type.

    Personally, while I like Fennekin's design, I'll pick Froakie because I always pick the water type starter. It's my favourite type and I feel the most comfortable with it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Nacreous View Post
    You know...I don't think a pokemon can gain a Ghost type.Just how they can't gain a Bug type...they have to be a ghost and a bug.I'm pretty sure a pkmn has to be dead somehow to be a Ghost type.And I don't see Fennekin dying>.>BUT...it could be based on the spiritual interpretation of fire[fire represents our spirit...water our emotions,air our intellect,earth out physical bodies] and Ghost could be taken literally and it would work.It would be nice to have a more calm,spiritual starter...kinda like Espeon and Mienshao...instead of the butch monsters we got so far.

    My votes:

    Fire/Psychic

    or

    Fire/Ghost

    or

    Fire
    Well, Bulbasaur started out as poison type, so it's possible it'll already be ghost type.
    Also, Shedinja gained ghost type.
    Last edited by Megaton666; 25th March 2013 at 12:14 PM.
    Ash nazg durbatulűk, ash nazg gimbatul,
    ash nazg thrakatulűk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuma
    No morals for you evolutionists.
    Please avoid saying things like that.

  9. #9984
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,186

    Default

    I'm not fond of Froakie being Water/Flying. Riding a cloud seems too similar to Tornadus, Thunderus, and Landorus.

  10. #9985
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Navarch View Post
    I'm not fond of Froakie being Water/Flying. Riding a cloud seems too similar to Tornadus, Thunderus, and Landorus.
    But Froakie wouldn't be that muscular and have that ugly perpetual angry face of the Kami Trio, it would also obviously be able to land and of course, swim, unlike the Kami Trio (Tornadus, at least) who can only fly 24/7. The only problem with Water/Flying for me is the 4X weakness to Electric, without good and correct stats, Froakie's evolution would just suck completely, like Swanna and Pelipper.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nacreous View Post
    You know...I don't think a pokemon can gain a Ghost type.Just how they can't gain a Bug type...
    Snorunt gains the Ghost-type when it evolves into Froslass and so does Shedinja. I agree about a Pokémon not being able to gain a Bug-type after evolving, it is just weird to suddenly transform in a bug after evolving. That said, I don't think Fennekin will gain the Ghost-type [or Psychic for that matter], I doubt they will make YET one more mystic fox, after Ninetales and Zoroark.
    Last edited by Nyarlathotep; 25th March 2013 at 12:58 PM.

  11. #9986
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pluto
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post


    But Froakie wouldn't be that muscular and have that ugly perpetual angry face of the Kami Trio, it would also obviously be able to land and of course, swim, unlike the Kami Trio (Tornadus, at least) who can only fly 24/7. The only problem with Water/Flying for me is the 4X weakness to Electric, without good and correct stats, Froakie's evolution would just suck completely, like Swanna and Pelipper.

    Snorunt gains the Ghost-type when it evolves into Froslass and so does Shedinja. I agree about a Pokémon not being able to gain a Bug-type after evolving, it is just weird to suddenly transform in a bug after evolving. That said, I don't think Fennekin will gain the Ghost-type [or Psychic for that matter], I doubt they will make YET one more mystic fox, after Ninetales and Zoroark.
    But they love mystic foxes...

    "Fear is Freedom!
    Subjugation is Liberation!
    Contradiction is Truth!
    These are the truths of the world! Surrender to these truths, you pigs in human clothing!"

  12. #9987
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nacreous View Post
    But they love mystic foxes...
    Everybody does, but a bit of originality would be good, don't you agree?

  13. #9988
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Hyrule
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Fennekin: Fire, Fire/Ground, Fire/Psychic --> I think fire/ground would be cool, looks speedy. If it's based on the Fennec fox, we can't ignore the desert habitat. Also it would take less damage from stealth rock with a ground pairing (i think that was one of the reasons for the recurring fighting pairing?). I just want it to stay on four legs!

    Chespin: Grass, Grass/Rock or Steel, Grass/Dark --> looks like it's going to be defensive. Grass/Poison might be possible because of the "spines". I'm leaning towards pure grass but after serperior being pure grass a change would be nice. Actually meganium and sceptile were pure grass too...

    Froakie: Water, Water/Ice, Water/Fighting --> all-rounder, not confident about secondary typing. If they are clouds then flying or electric is possible. But if it's just foam then it's probably going to stay water, or freeze into ice crystals and become ice when it evolves. Actually ice typing might fit well with clouds too.

    I definitely think the moves in the trailer were shown for a reason, but I'd be happy for the reverse triangle not to happen. Having a dark type starter line seems odd, but it could happen.

    November 2014

    Signatures by darside34 @deviantart

  14. #9989
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    ireland
    Posts
    2,897

    Default

    For those saying who the pokemon battled in the trailer matter ect...
    Froakie and Chespin fought magikarp and pansear both are super effective against
    Fennekin fought a munchlax, fighting is super effective.
    Then froakie fought partrat, Chespin golurk, and fennekin kirlia

    I see no pattern or anything.....


    White2 Friend code: 0519-7592-3571
    X Friend code: 0216-1851-5361
    My safari: FIRE, slugma,growlith,ninetales

  15. #9990
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adamfitz View Post
    For those saying who the pokemon battled in the trailer matter ect...
    Froakie and Chespin fought magikarp and pansear both are super effective against
    Fennekin fought a munchlax, fighting is super effective.
    Then froakie fought partrat, Chespin golurk, and fennekin kirlia

    I see no pattern or anything.....
    How can there be a pattern?
    It's a trailer, it just shows gameplay.
    Ash nazg durbatulűk, ash nazg gimbatul,
    ash nazg thrakatulűk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuma
    No morals for you evolutionists.
    Please avoid saying things like that.

  16. #9991
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Hyrule
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adamfitz View Post
    For those saying who the pokemon battled in the trailer matter ect...
    Froakie and Chespin fought magikarp and pansear both are super effective against
    Fennekin fought a munchlax, fighting is super effective.
    Then froakie fought partrat, Chespin golurk, and fennekin kirlia

    I see no pattern or anything.....
    Exactly. The opposing pokemon are irrelevant. The moves they're using are more important. For now, anyway.

    November 2014

    Signatures by darside34 @deviantart

  17. #9992
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Uranus
    Posts
    764

    Default

    This is hilarious:
    My Pokémon Omega Ruby Team:

    3DS Friend Code:
    2938-8044-3384

  18. #9993
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Räven View Post
    This is hilarious:
    Froakie's final evolution will likely look like this:
    Ash nazg durbatulűk, ash nazg gimbatul,
    ash nazg thrakatulűk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuma
    No morals for you evolutionists.
    Please avoid saying things like that.

  19. #9994
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kalos Region
    Posts
    1,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Megaton666 View Post
    Froakie's final evolution will likely look like this:
    I really hope it turns out like this

    At the moment number 10 in double battles of the Netherlands.

  20. #9995
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pluto
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Räven View Post
    This is hilarious:
    Brilliant!XD Froakie=frog=amphibian=salamander=dragon would be too cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Megaton666 View Post
    Froakie's final evolution will likely look like this:

    I guess we'll have to wait and see.

    "Fear is Freedom!
    Subjugation is Liberation!
    Contradiction is Truth!
    These are the truths of the world! Surrender to these truths, you pigs in human clothing!"

  21. #9996
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    If Froakie really turns into a frog riding cloud badass I'm picking it over chespin in X version!!

  22. #9997
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GerudoPrince View Post
    Exactly. The opposing pokemon are irrelevant. The moves they're using are more important. For now, anyway.
    The moves they're using is NOT important...people get easily hyped up and assume that the moves being used confirms the secondary typing. Without even thinking if we'll even GET a secondary typing to begin with.

  23. #9998
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    120

    Default

    And besides, even if they did implement Dream World again, it's not like we what get the starters until later. We still haven't gotten Genz 5!

  24. #9999
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    In my secret Base
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Räven View Post
    This is hilarious:
    Ha, that is hilarious. An ugly fox would be funny.
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

    Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, lot of HA pokes, PM me if you are willing to trade.

    "If you love it enough you can have another because the new Pokemon can never take the sentimental value of the original, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

    Friend code-1375 7776 2368-Heather

    My Pangoro in the 6th gen remake of a 3rd gen game will be my future 63rd hundred. This is a great epiphany.

  25. #10000
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    1,290

    Default

    Froakie is the only one I can really pin what it's going to evolve into, and I like the possibilities.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.


Page 400 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 300350390396397398399400401402403404410450500 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •