View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 153 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 531031431491501511521531541551561571632032531153 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,825 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Just sayin'.

On another note, is there anyone else here that actually won't use their starter on a playthrough if say, they dislike the evolutionary designs?

I know I had no problem dumping Pignite pretty early on in W2 in favor of my old favorite Arcanine, largely because I'm just not a huge fan of Emboar (even if he is my favorite of the BW starters).
    But I have a friend who, despite disliking all the BW starters, refuses to play through a Pokemon game (meaning, to the Elite 4) without his starter. It's a matter of principle for him, I guess.
    Check out my band's new EP! ... And like us on Facebook while you're at it!
    [IMG]http://oi49.*******.com/21mzpmr.jpg[/IMG]
    Hat by wolfy.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoP2008 View Post
    I'm in LOVE with Chespin. Its so adorable in a PikaClone meets Oshawott kinda way. I'm really hoping its evos are just as awesome as it appears now. If I had my way, it'd be either Grass/Dark, Grass/Fighting, Grass/Steel, or even Grass/Poison...

Depending on how his/her evos and stats turn out, Chespin has the potential to replace Bulbasaur as my favorite starter and Grass type!!

I'm not a fan of the other two, however. Fennekin, though cute, reminds me too much of a cross between Zorua and Vulpix as it is now. I know its a dog and NOT a fox but still. I'm on the fence about Froakie. i'm not a fan of its design (we've already got too many water frogs as is.) But, if its evos and typing impress, I'd be inclined to change my mind.
    I'm making a slight retraction. Fennekin fans have got me convinced. I think I'm falling in love with her too. If her stats and typing are good (I.E. Fire/Psychic, Fire/Ghost, Fire/Dark, and NOT Fire/Fighting), I think I may give her a chance.

...still think Chespin's gonna be the BEST, though....
    Last edited by LeoP2008; 14th January 2013 at 5:41 AM.
    MASTER Pkmn Team

Quote Originally Posted by YellowHat's Revenge View Post
    Just sayin'.

On another note, is there anyone else here that actually won't use their starter on a playthrough if say, they dislike the evolutionary designs?

I know I had no problem dumping Pignite pretty early on in W2 in favor of my old favorite Arcanine, largely because I'm just not a huge fan of Emboar (even if he is my favorite of the BW starters).
    But I have a friend who, despite disliking all the BW starters, refuses to play through a Pokemon game (meaning, to the Elite 4) without his starter. It's a matter of principle for him, I guess.
    I did that in SS when I first got it. My favorite pokemon is blaziken and since I really wanted to see my torchic/combusken/blaziken travel with me through johto and kanto on the overworld screen, I dumped by cyndaquil for a torchic lol.
    Hoenn was the best region copy and paste this if you agree (started by BATTLEFRONTIERASH)

Quote Originally Posted by Ungoliath View Post
    BRAZZERS.

There, thank me later.
    It's not free! D:<

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Flygon View Post
    Defensive Fire-type starter is what I'm hoping for actually. Hopefully it doesn't parallel Ninetales too much if that's the case.
    It would need steel or dragon(lol) maybe grass too (won't happen) to be sucessful IMO as pokemon that hurt fire are all too common. Fire makes a bad defensive type outside of sun. but I could be wrong, arcanine can be a very decent defensive poke with morning sun. So I would only like to see them do it if they do it VERY well, which is what I'm skeptical about.
    Fennekin Forever!!!!!

White
    FC : 1120 2645 4574

[IMG] [/IMG]

Just sayin'.

I have not used a starter since Gen 2, I just have not liked any, I will use them in till I catch one of my new favorites, then use them as my "starter" from then on out. But if Chespin has good looking evos, then it will be the first starter I have used since Gen 2 and the first grass starter I have used since Gen 2 as well. So I am hoping for the best!

Back home! TO HOENN!

Poochyena is claimed by me!
        Spoiler:- Who made what:

Quote Originally Posted by willda View Post
    It would need steel or dragon(lol) maybe grass too (won't happen) to be sucessful IMO as pokemon that hurt fire are all too common. Fire makes a bad defensive type outside of sun. but I could be wrong, arcanine can be a very decent defensive poke with morning sun. So I would only like to see them do it if they do it VERY well, which is what I'm skeptical about.
    Steel would suck since that gives it fighting weakness and 4x earthquake, fire also becomes neutral.

Pure Fire wouldn't be that bad by itself, sure it takes super effective damage from the most common offensive types but with decent stat distribution and possibly a unique hidden ability things can work out.
    Hoenn was the best region copy and paste this if you agree (started by BATTLEFRONTIERASH)

@Flame: Coincidentally, last time I REALLY liked a starter was Gen 2 with Totodile. It's been far too long.
    Check out my band's new EP! ... And like us on Facebook while you're at it!
    [IMG]http://oi49.*******.com/21mzpmr.jpg[/IMG]
    Hat by wolfy.

Cyndaquil to me was the perfect starter. Tepig was good but I hated the way it looked when it evolved. I hope Fennekin isn't like that either... That whole possibility of a third eye speculation a few pages backs freaks me out too much...
    Oh my gosh. You can tell I havent been on here since before X & Y was released.... Signature was before fairy type was even confirmed. Oh lordy that's been awhile ago.

Just sayin'.

I traded over a squirtle egg for my W2 playthrough so I didn't have to use a Tepig, but other than that I've been able to find a starter I like that I haven't used before in every game.
    I'm waiting on evolutions until I choose my XY starter, but right now I'm leaning toward Fennekin or Chespin.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
        Spoiler:- Friend Code & Trade Offers:

@Flame: Coincidentally, last time I REALLY liked a starter was Gen 2 with Totodile. It's been far too long.
    Ya, I get you. Its not that I hated every other starter that has come out since, I just did not like them that much, and I hate other favorites that I new were going to take up all the spots in my team (from that gen) so I just thought, why bother training them, lol.

Back home! TO HOENN!

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Flygon View Post
    Steel would suck since that gives it fighting weakness and 4x earthquake, fire also becomes neutral.

Pure Fire wouldn't be that bad by itself, sure it takes super effective damage from the most common offensive types but with decent stat distribution and possibly a unique hidden ability things can work out.
    Heatran is an amazing fire/steel tank/wall, But he is a legendary.... But as you said a decent hidden ability can work wonders.

And at the starter question: nah I haven't ever disliked ANY of the starters in a different generation, I have always liked one, but as I said earlier if I hate a pokemons looks I don't care how good it is, I won't use it, but I can't see me hating these guys!
    Last edited by willda; 14th January 2013 at 5:38 AM.
    Fennekin Forever!!!!!

White

[IMG] [/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by willda View Post
    Heatran is an amazing fire/steel tank/wall, But he is a legendary.... But as you said a decent hidden ability can work wonders.
    It should be noted a lot of heatran sets run the balloon for a pseudo levitate. Not saying heatrans bad but just throwing that out there.

same gen, different pokemon for me. I loved cyndaquil, but that was the last gen I liked any of the starters...Like, actually LIKED them, the others I dealt with.
    Black 2 friend code: 5029 - 2526 - 6528
    Bane of DWF breeders: 12.5% female rates...
        Spoiler:- DWF in stock:

Spoiler:- DWF breedable on request:

Spoiler:- DWF requests:

Spoiler:- white list:

Spoiler:- black list:

DWF in stock and or those that need to be breeded are likely to change daily, if not in stock simply tell me what one you want and I'll breed it ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyris View Post
    same gen, different pokemon for me. I loved cyndaquil, but that was the last gen I liked any of the starters...Like, actually LIKED them, the others I dealt with.
    Ironically enough same gen here! But for me it was Chikorita! <3
    I'm very happy this gen. Chespin for me is the worst of the bunch but I tollirate em. I <3 Fennekin The Fan Faveorite!

All credit for the picture above goes to Sworn Metalhead.
    Feel free to add me to your Friends List, Just PM me with your FC if you do so
    Also to peak your fancy, my Friend Safari Type is Fairy, and I distribute Floette, Snubbull, and Spritzee.

3DS FC: 4270 - 1187 - 9328

Quote Originally Posted by BBtheASH View Post
    Ironically enough same gen here! But for me it was Chikorita! <3
    I'm very happy this gen. Chespin for me is the worst of the bunch but I tollirate em. I <3 Fennekin The Fan Faveorite!
    What is it about Fennekin that makes it the favorite? I have always loved the fire starter but Fennekin is just so... cute? That's what sells me for it. I can't really put my finger on it!
    Oh my gosh. You can tell I havent been on here since before X & Y was released.... Signature was before fairy type was even confirmed. Oh lordy that's been awhile ago.

Quote Originally Posted by EliJolesy View Post
    What is it about Fennekin that makes it the favorite? I have always loved the fire starter but Fennekin is just so... cute? That's what sells me for it. I can't really put my finger on it!
    The sleek, confident, and overall beautiful look. Looks like a winner to me and it's slim and fast looking, plus fire type is my number 1 favorite type
    Fennekin Forever!!!!!

White

[IMG] [/IMG]

I don't know, it seems kind of plain to me, but if it gets that third eye, it'll be awesome.
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken

(Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and/or Joyous Kwanzaa!
    (Or whatever else you may celebrate.)

I like the water type starter the best. Froakie is cute in his own way, yet he looks inquisitive, and there's a couple other things that come to mind. I see him having the most potential all around this generation.

Pokemon X Friend Code: 5258-0130-4229 / Electric: Dedenne, Pikachu, Zebstrika

This is just my opinion, if you don't support the main character of the show, why bother watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyris View Post
    It was Chikorita for me, I went with grass as my starter for the first and 2nd gen, but after that I did not like any of the starters, they were ok, but like I said I had other favorite picks for my team.

So this is the first time I may end up using a starter, and its a grass type too, so it a win, win!

Back home! TO HOENN!

Fennekin seems very plain to me. Fire is my favorite type, and I usually go with fire starters, but Fennekin's just kind of OK. I'm sure they'll all turn out cool, though.
    I'll make you wet.

6th Gen Starter of Choice- Chespin

Hoenn's my favorite. So many memories...

I think they all look great to be perfectly honest, and no doubt I will use all three of them at some stage!
    {Insert signature here}

Quote Originally Posted by STADIUM View Post
    Why some people still think Froakie uses an ice attack? C'mon, it's quite simple:
    - Fennekin uses a fire attack (flamethrower) because it is the fire type starter.
    - Chespin uses a grass type attack (solar beam) because he is the grass type starter.
    - Froakie uses an ice type atttack because he is the ice type starter? No, that just doesn't make sense. It is water gun because he is water type.

(BTW, water gun is not as powerful as flamethrower or solar beam; it should have used bubble beam at least. Or is it hydropump?)
    I think you're being a bit too simple minded. That's not to say that perhaps GameFreak may keep them pure starters, but don't say Water-types won't get Ice Moves like it is imperative...after all many Water (non-Ice) types learn Ice moves anyway.

Why would it get Hydro Pump as a NFE Pokemon...? I'd imagine that it'd get at least Water Gun, or maybe even Water Pulse, but not Hydro Pump (until its later evos at least). And to play the devil's advocate, there's a reason why people think Froakie has an Ice Attack:

The Puddles or whatever you want to call it...closely resemble snowflakes. And snowflakes are commonly associated with Ice-Types, so there you go...That's why there's some belief that Froakie may be pure Water that learns Ice moves or Water/Ice.

Gonna say it again:

There is NO concrete evidence AGAINST Fennekin's 2nd attack in the trailer being Growl or some other non-damaging stat reducer.

Anyone who would like to debate this fact feel free.
    Just like how there's no concrete evidence that the move is Growl. Plus if you look closely, the move somewhat resembles Confusion. It has Gen V's Psychic "aura" surrounding the defending Pokemon, and the squiggly patterns from Gen III. And the fact that it causes transference from Player's Pokemon to Opponent certainly helps support the theory that it may be a Psychic move. Also, considering that Psychic Types always have purple colour scheme, that also helps the theory a bit. If it had been growl, I'd imagine we'd have have a simpler graphic than Brain waves.

For reference:
        Spoiler:- move comparisons:
    Last edited by BurningWhiteKyurem; 14th January 2013 at 6:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningWhiteKyurem View Post
    I think you're being a bit too simple minded. That's not to say that perhaps GameFreak may keep them pure starters, but don't say Water-types won't get Ice Moves like it is imperative...after all many Water (non-Ice) types learn Ice moves anyway.

Why would it get Hydro Pump as a NFE Pokemon...? I'd imagine that it'd get at least Water Gun, or maybe even Water Pulse, but not Hydro Pump (until its later evos at least). And to play the devil's advocate, there's a reason why people think Froakie has an Ice Attack:

The Puddles or whatever you want to call it...closely resemble snowflakes. And snowflakes are commonly associated with Ice-Types, so there you so.
    Well Oshawott had Hydro Pump so there is a precedence for the base form to learn it, at least at a high level. And yes, a lot of Water types can learn Ice type moves by extension. If that is indeed an Ice type move I would call it Ice Beam. I can see that snowflake look, that could easily be a fluke but I do agree with that way of thinking, there's a high chance that is the animation for an Ice type move.
    Last edited by pokeaussie37; 14th January 2013 at 6:38 AM.
    {Insert signature here}

Something interesting to note:

Froakie scowls in it's ingame "sprite". Take that as you may.

Page 153 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 531031431491501511521531541551561571632032531153 ... LastLast