View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 290 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 190240280286287288289290291292293294300340390 ... LastLast
Results 7,226 to 7,250 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

The starters look nice. IMHO Froakie is one of the most unique designs I have seen lately. It seems that Chespin could get Dark, Rock or Steel as a secondary type, Fennekin could get Psychic or stay a pure Fire type. Froakie is the most difficult to predict, something new like Electric or Flying otherwise Fighting?
    Oh, and I feel there should another option on the poll: Any of the three starters. There must be many who love all three and cannot choose between them.
    Last edited by RzK; 6th February 2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Added something about the poll

I have claimed the Pigs!

Anime Style Battling Squad Summary

Quote Originally Posted by sunyshore.com View Post
    you know what'd be hilarious?

if fennekin evolves into the ugliest thing we've ever seen.

that'd be hilarious.
    Blasphemy!!!! :P

I know some hate Fennekin's for its popularity, but c'mon, it's not the little guy/gal's fault he/she's so darn cute.

GF are really good at pulling out all the stops on the uber-gorgeous designs (Milotic, Ninetales, Gorebyss) so I'm hoping Fen's final evo is a real beauty queen to rival them. The again I like the powerhouses just as much, so if it turns into a bulky, snarling monster-fox (I doubt it, but then I would've doubted Remoraid evolving into an octopus) you won't hear any complaints from this direction.

EDIT- Wow, this new rule (especially as we've been doing it for a month now, Wulava - A MOD - included). I can understand not wanting us to simply post fanart and talk about it, but that we can't say stuff like 'I hope Froakie's evo will look just like this, here's why...' or 'wow, this design for Chespin evo shows an inventive dual typing that I hadn't considered, let's talk about what that'd be awesome' is, frankly, stupid. It's a speculation thread, and the fanart is simply backing up or inspiring our speculations. We have little else to speculate about at the moment.

So if I speculate, for example, Fennekin evolving into some kind of flying fox (this idea came up a while back). Say I wanted to discuss the pros and cons of this, as the rules of this thread allow. Say also that I find a fanart which happens to correspond beautifully with what I'm suggesting. May I post this fanart to better back up my discussion as a visual example, adding colour to my theory, or will I be infracted for spamming? I'm not trolling here, I'm genuinely asking.
    Last edited by SasakiThePikachu; 6th February 2013 at 1:27 PM.
    - Hiatus Notice -

I'm sorry to do this, but I won't be posting in the Serebii Discussion Forums anymore. My account here will remain open for trading/chatting with friends, but please be patient for a reply as my visits here will be fewer.

I've left for the greener pastures of Bulbagarden Forums, where free speech is still allowed and the rules are followed by all, including those who enforce them.

It's been a fun 3 years ~

Quote Originally Posted by SasakiThePikachu View Post
    Blasphemy!!!! :P

I know some hate Fennekin's for its popularity, but c'mon, it's not the little guy/gal's fault he/she's so darn cute.

GF are really good at pulling out all the stops on the uber-gorgeous designs (Milotic, Ninetales, Gorebyss) so I'm hoping Fen's final evo is a real beauty queen to rival them. The again I like the powerhouses just as much, so if it turns into a bulky, snarling monster-fox (I doubt it, but then I would've doubted Remoraid evolving into an octopus) you won't hear any complaints from this direction.
    I agree that Fennekin is really adorable but I just love fire starters lol so I think what i'm just gunna do though is trade with my brother and start over our games multiple times until we have all three starters with good natures, cause i also really like Chespin

I don't think Chespin will end up on all fours but hunched over by the weight of the chestnut. I think he'll have a kind of Sandslash/Exadrill look about him witch I would love btw, and no I don't think that would make him unorigional. Many things have traits in common but are still uniqe.

Credit to Eeveelover824! Thanks!

honestly i have no imagination on what any of them look like everything i think they look like is from fan art

Quote Originally Posted by Avi604 View Post
    I don't think Chespin will end up on all fours but hunched over by the weight of the chestnut. I think he'll have a kind of Sandslash/Exadrill look about him witch I would love btw, and no I don't think that would make him unorigional. Many things have traits in common but are still uniqe.
    That one piece of fanar-*SHHH!!!* going around of the starters final forms (the one that looks quite authentic, with Fennekin's final evo on all fours, with a braided tail & ear hair, and Froakie's final evo some old-ish lookin guy with a foamy moustache and beard) seems to support your theory.

I'm kinda with you on that one, I really don't care if it looks too similar to existing pokemon. Lots of pokemon share similar design traits anyways.
    Knarly, dude!

Quote Originally Posted by humilau View Post
    That one piece of fanar-*SHHH!!!* going around of the starters final forms (the one that looks quite authentic, with Fennekin's final evo on all fours, with a braided tail & ear hair, and Froakie's final evo some old-ish lookin guy with a foamy moustache and beard) seems to support your theory.

I'm kinda with you on that one, I really don't care if it looks too similar to existing pokemon. Lots of pokemon share similar design traits anyways.
    i've seen that one and i like the chespin one but the froakie one doesnt seem too great to me. i would like it if he is that one that is really big and bulky and almost ball shaped

I'm really starting to warm up to the new starters. At first I was like, "Wow what is with the chipmunk as a grass starter" because we never had a mammal as a grass starter. Being a fan of fire starters ( Charizard freak all the way xD) I love Fennekin and really hope that it gets an awesome line but please gamefreak, Do NOT GIVE IT FIGHTING ITS SECOND TYPE. Froakie is pretty cool if I decide to get both versions he might be my other choice to chose too since I like water also. I highly doubt they would reveal the next stage next week but you'll never know :-) .
    ~Credits to SwornMetalhead for the Banner~

If fennekin does not become a fighter it is dead to me. Threee generations of hard work ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi604 View Post
    Chespin's final evo would really look epic if they give him a Sandslash/Weavile/Excadrill vibe. And no, it wouldn't look unoriginal. It'll be the first 'razor sharp' grass starter final evo since Sceptile...hope this happens!

I have claimed the Pigs!

Anime Style Battling Squad Summary

Quote Originally Posted by ReshiZekyurem View Post
    Chespin's final evo would really look epic if they give him a Sandslash/Weavile/Excadrill vibe. And no, it wouldn't look unoriginal. It'll be the first 'razor sharp' grass starter final evo since Sceptile...hope this happens!
    My thoughts exactly now I just hope it gets a good movepool unlike my beloved Serperior.

Quote Originally Posted by Yveltal96 View Post
    i've seen that one and i like the chespin one but the froakie one doesnt seem too great to me. i would like it if he is that one that is really big and bulky and almost ball shaped
    Damn, I haven't seen that one. Gee, I wish you could post the fanart. Y'know, so I could better understand what you guys are talking about and join in the speculation. 'Cause a picture is worth a thousand words, and all that. Alas.

I wonder what Chespin will look like if the creators at game freak made him a quadruped? Because I speculate that he will end up on all fours, weighed down by the chestnut and whatever it becomes. It's too bad I can't show you what speculate Chespin the pokemon x and y grass starter will look like in the speculation thread. But apparently visual speculation is outlawed by the capital, I mean staff. Apparently drawing and sharing what you speculate the starters to evolve into in a starter speculation forum discussion is against the law of their hunger games, err I mean thread rules.

But if it drops on all 4s I speculate he will go the way of Torterra, grass ground will become the new fire fighting lol
    Lol. Shush, or word'll be sent back to President Snow!! Seriously though, I hope Chespin doesn't turn out very bulky and slow. I wouldn't mind grass/ground typing, but I want to see him become a (relatively) speedy beast. Grass starters hardly ever have a chance against the fire-using rival simply because fire types tend to be fast...Snivy broke that rule, so I'm hoping the trend will continue.
    - Hiatus Notice -

I'm sorry to do this, but I won't be posting in the Serebii Discussion Forums anymore. My account here will remain open for trading/chatting with friends, but please be patient for a reply as my visits here will be fewer.

I've left for the greener pastures of Bulbagarden Forums, where free speech is still allowed and the rules are followed by all, including those who enforce them.

It's been a fun 3 years ~

My impression is that Froakie is going to be the bulky one, Chespin the slim physical speed attacker, and Fennekin as a special attacker and wall.

ETA - This is all speculation and I hope this isn't taken as unofficial info.

Hoping that both Froakie's and Chespin's evos stay slim and stay on two feet. Froakie would be mixed offensive and speedy. Chespin would be attack strong, have good defense, and be close to Froakie in speed. Fennekin's evos should be slender and be on all fours, be a fast special attacker with good special defense.

Yeah hoping for speedy evos this gen XD. Maybe later I'll do BSTs o3o

Quote Originally Posted by Wulava View Post
    Even if you say that for the nth time, as long as it's not 100% confirmed, you cannot claim it as fact. Even if it is too obvious and is ready to smack you in the face.
    So yeah... let people speculate.
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowHat's Revenge View Post
    And if Serebii were to plaster that on the site, he'd end up looking like a moron if it's not true. As would you.
    Quote Originally Posted by BunniBear4 View Post
    That honestly looked more like night slash to me, especially when I compared it to past games' aerial ace and night slash. It could be aerial ace, but Im leaning more over to night slash.
    No, it's not 100% confirmed. It's not 100% confirmed that Mario will be in the next Mario Kart game either.

Let me actually post links this time. Here's Chespin's move:

A black background with a red stripe, in which a downward cut is followed up an upward cut.

It's even clearer if you see it in the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzO6J981nAw&t=7m55s

Aerial Ace is based on a Japanese sword technique known as the Turning Swallow Cut. It consists of a quick downward slash followed immediately by an upward slash. Is that not exactly what we just saw?

For reference, here's a picture of Aerial Ace's animation in B2W2:

And again, it's even clearer when you see it in motion:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eun3YwUzeb0&t=1m07s

We just saw Swellow use Aerial Ace, and it was animated as... a black background with a red stripe, with a downward cut followed by an upward cut. Exactly the same.

Here's Night Slash in B2W2:

How can anyone look at that and still think it's not Aerial Ace? And yet I still hear people saying it's Night Slash, which looks nothing like that. People on GameFAQs were even saying it must just be Night Slash with a different animation. Do you expect me to believe that by some astounding coincidence, they changed Night Slash's animation to look exactly like Aerial Ace's? That's like saying it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, but it must be an elephant disguised as a duck.
    We might as well say Chespin didn't use Solarbeam either; it was obviously Ice Beam with a new animation.

I'm not directing this at you all personally, but at the dozens of people who still think Chespin used a Dark-type move, which just leads in to the false hope that we will get the Dark/Psychic/Fighting starters people always seem to want.

But I don't want to become a broken record, so I'll just leave this here and bite my tongue from here on out. If people still want to believe that was somehow Night Slash, fine. It won't make any difference eight months from now anyway, when people play the game and see that Night Slash doesn't look like that.

Quote Originally Posted by YellowHat's Revenge View Post
    Even if it IS Aerial Ace, the Dark/Psychic/Fighting speculation could be perfectly valid.
    There are plenty of Dark-types that can use Aerial Ace.
    Not that I think it'll be Dark. I'm just saying the possibility is there.
    Well sure, it's still entirely possible for Chespin to evolve into a Dark-type. But right now we have no more reason to believe that than we do for evolving into a Rock-type or a Poison-type or whatever else. Heck, it could even somehow evolve into a Bug-type for all we know. There's nothing wrong with speculating Chespin might evolve into a Dark-type, but we can't use that trailer as evidence for it. There's simply no basis for it. It is possible for Chespin to evolve into a Dark-type. But until we see some actual evidence hinting toward that, it's baseless speculation and nothing more. As of now, speculating Chespin might grow up to be Dark is just as valid as saying he'll grow up to Steel or Ice or any other type.
    Last edited by Hejiru; 6th February 2013 at 6:41 PM.
    Formerly known as Jigglychu.

It'd be kinda funny if the secondary attacks they used have nothing to do with their type. I mean, think about it; a dark or ghost move (Shadow Claw, anyone?) would make him super effective to Fennekin, assuming he's a Psychic-type with a move of the same type. Then you have Froakie, who seemingly used an ice move, but Water/Ice takes only regular damage from fire, so....
    I forgot Froakie's second move, though, if anyone can update me on that.
    Haven't been on here since X&Y came out.
    The opposing Metagross used Giga Impact!

Quote Originally Posted by Luxvan View Post
    It'd be kinda funny if the secondary attacks they used have nothing to do with their type. I mean, think about it; a dark or ghost move (Shadow Claw, anyone?) would make him super effective to Fennekin, assuming he's a Psychic-type with a move of the same type. Then you have Froakie, who seemingly used an ice move, but Water/Ice takes only regular damage from fire, so....
    To be honest, I think people are placing way too much emphasis on the second moves they used in the trailer. Many people seem to think it's a good indication of what type they'll evolve into. I've heard numerous people say something to the effect of "they must've showed those moves for a reason!" I don't really think so. They could have just chosen moves to show off those Pokemon, not specifically picked ones that matched their later types to give a hint. For example, they probably chose Aerial Ace for Chespin to show that he has sharp claws, not to imply he's going to become a Flying-type. (Tons of non-flying Pokemon learn Aerial Ace.) And they might've chosen whatever move Froakie used to show that's he's fast and ninja-like or something; maybe Froakie will have a high Speed. I'd make an exception in Fennekin's case though. I think we can add a bit more credence to Fennekin evolving into Fire/Psychic, because I don't think many non-Psychic Pokemon use damaging Psychic moves, which Fennekin's apparently was. It could turn out like Psyduck I suppose, but I think the Fennekin Psychic theory has more behind it than the theories for Chespin and Froakie.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxvan View Post
    I forgot Froakie's second move, though, if anyone can update me on that.
    I don't think there's been a consensus; I've heard some people say Close Combat, some say Acrobatics... it could just be an entirely new move.
    Formerly known as Jigglychu.

Alright, I'm just gonna speculate on base stats for the final evos.

Chespin: (grass/steel, knight concept)

90/100/105/60/80/95

Total 530

Fennekin: (fire psychic)

80/60/70/110/80/120

Total 520

Froakie: (water/fighting, gentleman boxer concept)

95/90/80/90/80/100

Total 535

Thoughts?
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

I would love those stats but they would make these starters leagues above those from the other gens. Still, we can hope
    -sflytal

I try to use at least one Pokemon that is new to me each time I play through a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of the Forums View Post

90/100/105/60/80/95

Total 530

80/60/70/110/80/120

Total 520

95/90/80/90/80/100

Total 535

Thoughts?
    I love them but I dont think we could end up that lucky.

90/100/105/60/80/95

Total 530

80/60/70/110/80/120

Total 520

95/90/80/90/80/100

Total 535

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by sflytal View Post
    I would love those stats but they would make these starters leagues above those from the other gens. Still, we can hope
    How so?
    Swampert 100/110/90/85/90/60 535
    Charizard 78/84/78/109/85/100 534
    Typhlosion 78/84/78/109/85/100 534
    Infernape 76/104/71/104/71/108 534
    Blastoise 79/83/100/85/105/78 530
    Feraligatr 85/105/100/79/83/78 530
    Sceptile 70/85/65/105/85/120 530
    Blaziken 80/120/70/110/70/80 530
    Empoleon 84/86/88/111/101/60 530
    Serperior 75/75/95/75/95/113 528
    Emboar 110/123/65/100/65/65 528
    Samurott 95/100/85/108/70/70 528
    Venusaur 80/82/83/100/100/80 525
    Meganium 80/82/100/83/100/80 525
    Torterra 95/109/105/75/85/56 525

Pretty much the same as always total wise, Fennekin would be have the least out of all starters though.

Individual:
    HP-The lowest is 70, highest 110, the 6th generation are in the middle.
    Attack-The lowest is 75, highest 123, the 6th generation has Fennekin with less and the other two are in the middle.
    Defense-65 lowest, 105 highest, Chespin would be tied for highest, the other two are in the middle.
    Special Attack-75 lowest, 111 highest, Chespin would be lowest, Fennekin would nearly be tied for highest, and Froakie is in the middle.
    Special Defense-65 lowest, 105 highest, 6th generation all in the middle.
    Speed-56 lowest, 120 highest, Fennekin would be tied for the highest, other two in the middle.
    Last edited by gliscor&yanmega; 6th February 2013 at 8:09 PM.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    How so?
    ...fine... be that way :-p
    -sflytal

I try to use at least one Pokemon that is new to me each time I play through a game.

Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    How so?
    Haha, I love the point you made. But does charizard really have the exact same stats as typhlosion?
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Haha, I love the point you made. But does charizard really have the exact same stats as typhlosion?
    Apparently. Didn't even notice it actually.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Quote Originally Posted by Hejiru View Post
    No, it's not 100% confirmed. It's not 100% confirmed that Mario will be in the next Mario Kart game either.

Let me actually post links this time. Here's Chespin's move:

A black background with a red stripe, in which a downward cut is followed up an upward cut.

It's even clearer if you see it in the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzO6J981nAw&t=7m55s

Aerial Ace is based on a Japanese sword technique known as the Turning Swallow Cut. It consists of a quick downward slash followed immediately by an upward slash. Is that not exactly what we just saw?

For reference, here's a picture of Aerial Ace's animation in B2W2:

And again, it's even clearer when you see it in motion:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eun3YwUzeb0&t=1m07s

We just saw Swellow use Aerial Ace, and it was animated as... a black background with a red stripe, with a downward cut followed by an upward cut. Exactly the same.

Here's Night Slash in B2W2:

How can anyone look at that and still think it's not Aerial Ace? And yet I still hear people saying it's Night Slash, which looks nothing like that. People on GameFAQs were even saying it must just be Night Slash with a different animation. Do you expect me to believe that by some astounding coincidence, they changed Night Slash's animation to look exactly like Aerial Ace's? That's like saying it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, but it must be an elephant disguised as a duck.
    We might as well say Chespin didn't use Solarbeam either; it was obviously Ice Beam with a new animation.

I'm not directing this at you all personally, but at the dozens of people who still think Chespin used a Dark-type move, which just leads in to the false hope that we will get the Dark/Psychic/Fighting starters people always seem to want.

But I don't want to become a broken record, so I'll just leave this here and bite my tongue from here on out. If people still want to believe that was somehow Night Slash, fine. It won't make any difference eight months from now anyway, when people play the game and see that Night Slash doesn't look like that.

Well sure, it's still entirely possible for Chespin to evolve into a Dark-type. But right now we have no more reason to believe that than we do for evolving into a Rock-type or a Poison-type or whatever else. Heck, it could even somehow evolve into a Bug-type for all we know. There's nothing wrong with speculating Chespin might evolve into a Dark-type, but we can't use that trailer as evidence for it. There's simply no basis for it. It is possible for Chespin to evolve into a Dark-type. But until we see some actual evidence hinting toward that, it's baseless speculation and nothing more. As of now, speculating Chespin might grow up to be Dark is just as valid as saying he'll grow up to Steel or Ice or any other type.
    I definitely think it was Aerial Ace, although you're right that we can't conclude the type from the move used. Another grass/flying would actually be quite nice in my opinion Serperior and many others can also use Aerial Ace though, so we won't know until we know.

Page 290 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 190240280286287288289290291292293294300340390 ... LastLast