View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 373 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 273323363369370371372373374375376377383423473 ... LastLast
Results 9,301 to 9,325 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Where are people seeing the Fighting type for Froakie? Just because Poliwrath was a Water/Fighting frog?

To me, Fighting is one of its least likely secondary types. We've already seen, heard, and witnessed our own comparisons to Froakie's "glasses" and other cloudy/bubbly bits that make him resemble an 18th century gentleman, and when I hear "18th century gentleman," the last thing I think of is one of them violently beating someone with boxing gloves on.
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by Rayze Darr View Post
    Where are people seeing the Fighting type for Froakie? Just because Poliwrath was a Water/Fighting frog?

To me, Fighting is one of its least likely secondary types. We've already seen, heard, and witnessed our own comparisons to Froakie's "glasses" and other cloudy/bubbly bits that make him resemble an 18th century gentleman, and when I hear "18th century gentleman," the last thing I think of is one of them violently beating someone with boxing gloves on.
    However, Poliwrath is not a Water/Fighting Frog. It's a Tadpole, even an in-game HG/SS NPC says something like 'I wish my Poliwrath could evolve into a frog Pokemon!'. Also, it could be based on a Gentleman boxer, like Dudley from street fighter.

Let's look at it from another perspective...

One of the starters will have to be stuck up and French-like the way Serperior is.That,from the evidence we have,might be Froakie[the glasses,etc].

One of them has to be based on japanese folklore,or some other japanese thing[the way Samurott was] and I believe Chespin will fill that role.Hedgehogs are nocturnal and quite predatory despite their cute appearance...A ninja would make sense.

And finally,there's Fennekin.I personally believe it'll have a more Taoist origin,its tail and ear fluffs might "bloom" into lotus flowers as it finds wisdom and enlightenement.

So,in conclusion...

Chespin-Grass/Dark with high attack and speed
    Froakie-there are so many posibilities with this one...could be Water/Fighting but a really stuck up one>.>
    And Fennekin-Fire/Psychic with high sp attack and special defense and maybe speed too.

"Fear is Freedom!
    Subjugation is Liberation!
    Contradiction is Truth!
    These are the truths of the world! Surrender to these truths, you pigs in human clothing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nacreous View Post
    Let's look at it from another perspective...

One of the starters will have to be stuck up and French-like the way Serperior is.That,from the evidence we have,might be Froakie[the glasses,etc].

One of them has to be based on japanese folklore,or some other japanese thing[the way Samurott was] and I believe Chespin will fill that role.Hedgehogs are nocturnal and quite predatory despite their cute appearance...A ninja would make sense.

And finally,there's Fennekin.I personally believe it'll have a more Taoist origin,its tail and ear fluffs might "bloom" into lotus flowers as it finds wisdom and enlightenement.

So,in conclusion...

Chespin-Grass/Dark with high attack and speed
    Froakie-there are so many posibilities with this one...could be Water/Fighting but a really stuck up one>.>
    And Fennekin-Fire/Psychic with high sp attack and special defense and maybe speed too.
    The Fennekin one gives me a Mr. XY vibe....

EDIT: It also gives a Grass Type vibe...

But I think:

Chespin-Nocturnal Hunter
    Fennekin-Shy Mystic
    Froakie-Gentleman FIghter

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightFennekin View Post
    The Fennekin one gives me a Mr. XY vibe....

EDIT: It also gives a Grass Type vibe...

But I think:

Chespin-Nocturnal Hunter
    Fennekin-Shy Mystic
    Froakie-Gentleman FIghter
    Yeah,yeah...you put it better...I have the habit of shitting my thoughts

But don't bring that heretic into the discusion

"Fear is Freedom!
    Subjugation is Liberation!
    Contradiction is Truth!
    These are the truths of the world! Surrender to these truths, you pigs in human clothing!"

I dont care what their types are anymore... I just want to know lol I wouldn't even care if Fennekin did become fire fighting, I just want to KNOW lol

Friend Code: 2234 - 8338 - 9114

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcubxox View Post
    I dont care what their types are anymore... I just want to know lol I wouldn't even care if Fennekin did become fire fighting, I just want to KNOW lol
    This, right here. Sadly, we proably won't know until septemper, or at least august/july.
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, lot of HA pokes, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"If you love it enough you can have another because the new Pokemon can never take the sentimental value of the original, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

Friend code-1375 7776 2368-Heather

My drilbur in the 6th gen remake of a 3rd gen game will be my future 63rd hundred. This is a great epiphany.

Honestly this thread is just going around in circles...

Circles that are tiding us over until we get some actual information. Tiding Circles.

Here's something no one's considered. Blastoise, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Meganium, Sceptile, Samurott, and Serperior have all made it to their final stages without a secondary type. Let's consider the possibility that any of these starters, and as Gen 2 illustrates possibly all three, could be monotype.
    My Shinies:

Circles that are tiding us over until we get some actual information. Tiding Circles.

Here's something no one's considered. Blastoise, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Meganium, Sceptile, Samurott, and Serperior have all made it to their final stages without a secondary type. Let's consider the possibility that any of these starters, and as Gen 2 illustrates possibly all three, could be monotype.
    god please no
    that is just so dull

Ask me stupid stuff
    Credit for the Banner goes to Sworn Metalhead

Quote Originally Posted by Yveltal96 View Post
    god please no
    that is just so dull
    Just saying, even last generation we had two of the three starters end up being monotype, with the only one who wasn't monotype being Fire/Fighting.
    My Shinies:

Just saying, even last generation we had two of the three starters end up being monotype, with the only one who wasn't monotype being Fire/Fighting.
    mer....please don't remind me...
    serperior should have been part dragon
    but these guys don't really look like they'll be monotype IMO
    yeah yeah sure so did surperior and samurott but GF wouldn't do that to us...again

Ask me stupid stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcubxox View Post
    I actually care a lot more about what types they are than knowing sooner. If Fennekin is another stupid Fire/Fighting starter it will be more disappointing than not knowing until the game comes out, and it will effect me for a much longer amount of time, as I do play and replay games again and again after I've already finished them once.

serperior should have been part dragon
    I usually don't find myself agreeing with these, "What should have been" things, but this time I do. Serperior really does look like it could be grass/dragon. That would have made it a lot less of a disappointment too.

Quote Originally Posted by *~Silver*~ View Post
    I usually don't find myself agreeing with these, "What should have been" things, but this time I do. Serperior really does look like it could be grass/dragon. That would have made it a lot less of a disappointment too.
    agreed
    serperior had thee coolest design and dragon would have fit
    i think the reason they gave him contrary is to make him more usable

but since i got onto the topic of DW abilities, i hope froakie either gets poison touch or dry skin
    as for fennekin, i hope he gets no guard so he can abuse inferno
    chespin could get guts or moxie

Ask me stupid stuff

The only thing with Serperior turning Dragon is that, in-game at least, Dragons tend to be noticeably stronger than other types. Admittedly, I agree that Serperior looks like a Dragon-type, I just think it'd end up being a bit of a balancing issue with the other starters.

As for these starters, I can easily see Fennekin being pure Fire, but able to learn some basic Psychic attacks, not unlike Ninetails.
    My Shinies:

The only thing with Serperior turning Dragon is that, in-game at least, Dragons tend to be noticeably stronger than other types. Admittedly, I agree that Serperior looks like a Dragon-type, I just think it'd end up being a bit of a balancing issue with the other starters.

As for these starters, I can easily see Fennekin being pure Fire, but able to learn some basic Psychic attacks, not unlike Ninetails.
    well look at serperiors stats
    dragon type would have redeemed him competitively

and well yes nintales learned psychic moves but just extrasensory
    he didn't learn the stronger moves like psychic ( which is what i believe that move in the trailer was)

Ask me stupid stuff

The ones that are stronger are pseudo-legendaries. Garchomp, Mence, Dragonite, and Hydreigon. All the other dragons, stat-wise at least, are average.

The reason it isn't dragon is the same reason Charizard isn't. Dragon resit fire, which Serperior is supposed to be weak to.
    dragon type would have redeemed him competitively
    And Contrary will when it gets released.
    he didn't learn the stronger moves like psychic ( which is what i believe that move in the trailer was)
    Since it's a TM, psychic is actually rather common among non-psychic types.

It's kind of weird that Ninetails doesn't get it...it's supposed to be the mystical Kitsune of pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    The reason it isn't dragon is the same reason Charizard isn't. Dragon resit fire, which Serperior is supposed to be weak to..
    I feel a need to point out Empoleon now. Its Steel typing gives it a resistance to Grass and a weakness to Fire both, balancing out to be neutral damage from both opposing Starter types. Hence, I don't think that was a factor.
    My Shinies:

The ones that are stronger are pseudo-legendaries. Garchomp, Mence, Dragonite, and Hydreigon. All the other dragons, stat-wise at least, are average.

The reason it isn't dragon is the same reason Charizard isn't. Dragon resit fire, which Serperior is supposed to be weak to.And Contrary will when it gets released.Since it's a TM, psychic is actually rather common among non-psychic types.

It's kind of weird that Ninetails doesn't get it...it's supposed to be the mystical Kitsune of pokemon.
    well nintales didn't get it
    btw guys it's spelled NINETALES
    and yeah contrary will but still needs set up
    and well water is supposed to be weak to grass but empoleon resists it -_-

I feel a need to point out Empoleon now. Its Steel typing gives it a resistance to Grass and a weakness to Fire both, balancing out to be neutral damage from both opposing Starter types. Hence, I don't think that was a factor.
    lol you totally just ninja'd me with the same idea i had O_O

Ask me stupid stuff

The reason it isn't dragon is the same reason Charizard isn't. Dragon resit fire, which Serperior is supposed to be weak to. And Contrary will when it gets released.Since it's a TM, psychic is actually rather common among non-psychic types.
    This is exactly what people need to understand. Dragon typing defeats the purpose and symbolism of having a rival challenge in the first place. What's the point when your dragon would just take neutral damage from the rival's starter? That's not really fair. Plus Dragon is one of the most insane typings to have in the game, which the amount of moves, resistances that they have.

Also, its design is based on a serpent, which does not justify adding a Dragon typing at all...especially when you consider that similar serpentine pokemon like Ekans/Arbok/Seviper/etc. are not dragons. Meta-wise, do we REALLY need a Draco Meteor/Leaf Storm Contrary spammer?

You do realize it's weak to Ground? Which Torterra's secondary type is? So either way, the weakness triangle was still kept intact.
    Last edited by BurningWhiteKyurem; 17th March 2013 at 6:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningWhiteKyurem View Post
    This is exactly what people need to understand. Dragon typing defeats the purpose and symbolism of having a rival challenge in the first place. What's the point when your dragon would just take neutral damage from the rival's starter? That's not really fair.

Also, its design is based on a serpent, which does not justify adding a Dragon typing at all...especially when you consider that similar serpentine pokemon like Ekans/Arbok/Seviper/etc. are not dragons. Meta-wise, do we REALLY need a Draco Meteor/Leaf Storm Contrary spammer?

You do realize it's weak to Ground? Which Torterra has? So either way, the weakness triangle was still kept intact.
    yes but you countered your own argument that way
    "What's the point when your dragon would just take neutral damage from the rival's starter?"
    well sure torterra was part ground but we are talking about the starters primary types
    empoleon resists torterra's primary typing
    and also serperior can't learn draco meteor....
    and yes we do need it
    serperior needs redemption

Ask me stupid stuff

You do realize it's weak to Ground? Which Torterra's secondary type is? So either way, the weakness triangle was still kept intact.
    Fair enough, I concede that fact, but it was also weak to Fighting. Ergo, If you chose Infernape, your starter would actually have STAB moves that are Super Effective against your rival. Hence, I still don't think that played a factor.

I do, however, agree with you that a starter with the Dragon type would be harder to balance with the other starters.
    My Shinies:

This is exactly what people need to understand. Dragon typing defeats the purpose and symbolism of having a rival challenge in the first place. What's the point when your dragon would just take neutral damage from the rival's starter? That's not really fair.
    So I suppose Torterra's Grass-Type being neutral to Empoleon is "unfair"?

There is nothing wrong with making a starter a Dragon-Type. This can be remedied by giving the other starter the respective secondary-type or move pool to counter them.

FC: 4699-6505-4258
    IGN: Diva

yes but you countered your own argument that way
    "What's the point when your dragon would just take neutral damage from the rival's starter?"
    well sure torterra was part ground but we are talking about the starters primary types
    empoleon resists torterra's primary typing
    and also serperior can't learn draco meteor....
    and yes we do need it
    serperior needs redemption
    How did I counter my own argument? Primary typing is irrelevant, as long as Torterra still beats Empoleon with its typing, then it still maintains an advantage of Empoleon, regardless of whether it is or is not a traditional weakness (grass in this case). And Empoleon doesn't resist Torterra's typing, it still takes neutral damage to Grass thanks to water's weakness and steel's resistance. Draco Meteor was assuming that if Serperior got the Dragon-typing, it would most assuredly learn Draco Meteor and thus would be insane with Contrary. Speaking of which, Dream World Serperior is redemption enough, thanks to Contrary Leaf Storm, great defenses and epic speed.

@cascade, you missed my comment about Torterra...you do realize that Ground typing helps against Empoleon anyway? So the weakness advantage is kept intact.

Page 373 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 273323363369370371372373374375376377383423473 ... LastLast