View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 376 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 276326366372373374375376377378379380386426476 ... LastLast
Results 9,376 to 9,400 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSword39 View Post
    And Fighting.

I hope Chespin is part Dark. Grass/Dark is a very good type combination, even though it has many weaknesses. Shiftry and Cacturne were very good.
    As long as it has a high Attack and Speed,then it's fine by me.Oh,and a good movepool...

Quote Originally Posted by Nacreous View Post
    As long as it has a high Attack and Speed,then it's fine by me.Oh,and a good movepool...
    What I'm saying it's tied with the highest amount super-effectives, tied with Ground with 5.
    *Insert Some Cool Image Here*

Quote Originally Posted by golduck#1 View Post
    I was going to reply to this but Lanturn did it for me.

Well if the one of the weakest dragon types has a base attack stat of 120, one with a base special defense stat of 105 and one with 95 for all base stats except 85 in speed I think it's safe to say dragons have pretty good stats. Dragons are pretty bulky and resist important types within the games so generally the starter would have to be atleast somewhat bulky in something and no doubt dragons are powerful so it will be good in attack or special attack, leaving it not much room to have anything bad in. What dragon is not a powerful thing? I don't think they will make a dragon type weak just to level it out for other starters.
    in case you are forgetting altaria
    altaria isn't exactly powerful it's more of a defensive character similar to serperior stat wise
    and also empoleon resisted grass

Ask me stupid stuff
    Credit for the Banner goes to Sworn Metalhead

Quote Originally Posted by Yveltal96 View Post
    in case you are forgetting altaria
    altaria isn't exactly powerful it's more of a defensive character similar to serperior stat wise
    and also empoleon resisted grass
    You do realize Empoleon takes neutral damage from Grass? It doesn't resist it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nacreous View Post
    Eh, the speedy starters usually don't have the best defenses, do they? As a hedgehog, I see him being on the slow but bulky side more.

I nice movepool would be great. If poison, poison tail/jab/fang, maybe?
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

LOOKING FOR LEGIT SHINY SEVIPER AND LINOONE! Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"Well maybe pokemon need friends too, sure they're in competition but they need to be loved as well. It's okay to have more than one kind of pokemon like Tyranitar, if you love it enough you can have another because the new one can never take the sentimental value of the orignal, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

Friend code-4470 5123 1977

Quote Originally Posted by BurningWhiteKyurem View Post
    You do realize Empoleon takes neutral damage from Grass? It doesn't resist it.
    yes i do
    and a grass/dragon serperior would take neutral damage to fire
    that's what i am getting at earlier you were arguing that dragon would break the traditional circle
    well that's what empoleon did

Ask me stupid stuff

yes i do
    that's what i am getting at earlier you were arguing that dragon would break the traditional circle
    But you seem to forget that the Grass type with Empoleon was also ground type to even that out.

"Do you know the definition of insanity?"
    Y Team:Chesnaught, Talonflame, Blastoise, Aegislash, Tyrantrum, Heliolisk

3DS FC: 3995-6518-0794

Quote Originally Posted by rocky505 View Post
    But you seem to forget that the Grass type with Empoleon was also ground type to even that out.
    yes i do get that
    but he was arguing it would break the circle
    the other one could be part ice to easily even it out

Ask me stupid stuff

yes i do
    ...you didn't read what I said earlier. I never said it would break the traditional cycle (the only closest thing to that is when I said dragon-typing would cheapen the "rarity" feel since it's the most mythical/exclusive type). Heck, I even said how Sinnoh starters at least can fight back through their primary or secondary typing (whichever is super-effective). Slapping a dragon-type on one starter really restricts how the other starters could be designed.

I don't believe it matters if a type like Dragon was the secondary type for a starter, just as long as it is reserved for the final evo. But GF may throw us a curveball and have us encounter a Dragon type early in the game, although it's highly unlikely.

Come join the my Pokémon Clubs!

Maybe a Axew would be cool early on to use but then it will feel strqnge to encounter 1 so early

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    Boom. That's why dragon starters will be op. It's because they're dragons. And dragons breath fire! Besides, the Gamefreak people have been known to slap huge TM movepools on dragon types, because they're dragon types.

I honestly don't see the necessity for a dragon starter. It's just unnecessary and too overpowered. Unless you're suggesting every trainer and their mothers carry ice beam and dragon pulse everywhere they go. I personally think that they won't go down that route, it just gives the specific starter too much advantage over another.
    So because dragons breath fire they are now suddenly OP? lol what? Like I said move pool has more to do with the Pokemon(or as MidnightFennekin said their design) not their type. a Dragon-type does not have to have a large move pool.

I don't think anyone ever said it was a necessity. But it is not as OP and powerful as you all seem to think it is. It does not give a specific starter much advantage over the other because they could remedy this by giving the other one the respective type and/or move pool to counter it.

As for the movepool thing, having to learn a particular move just to counter the starter you are weak against is just... bad and annoying. That means your mon will lack diversity. So every run you'll have to carry Ice Beam or Dragon Pulse. But wait! What if Ice Beam was found like at 7th gym? Boom!
    Actually no it isn't. If you choose not to have the certain move(s) given to it to counter it that is on you. It won't lack diversity because all you'll probably need is one move...

Quote Originally Posted by golduck#1 View Post
    Chance for what? I don't get where this disadvantage thing is coming into this? I was talking about advantages it would have over a lot of other Pokemon. It'll pretty much make them have to re-arrange the game just so this part dragon starter doesn't have so many advantages.
    Yes, you mentioned the advantage it would have over other Pokemon and I'm saying that that wouldn't be the first time it happened so I gave an example. Also you just keep hyping up the Dragon-type to be this indestructible force, NO IT'S NOT! There are more factors to put into play.(Sorry for the Caps but I'm just kinda annoyed that I keep having to repeat this)

The fact is dragon is easily the best offensive type in the game and to pair it with a grass/water/fire Pokemon which are also other very effective types give it some ridiculous features for a starter Pokemon.
    And Steel-type is easily the best defensive type yet we got that as a starter as well. Not everything is about offense.

Exactly and for Pokemon, for it to have a type it needs to look or atleast have some characteristics right? So most dragons can breath fire hence all the flamethrowers, most dragons have sharp claws and teeth, Poison Jab/Crunch/ Shadow claw, most have tails (I actually can't think of a dragon not having a tail but I am sure there is some out there) meaning Aqua/Dragon tail. So tell me how you can give it a dragon typing without giving it any characteristics or making it look like the dragon Pokemon.
    By not giving it to them...
    Last edited by cascadethewarrior; 17th March 2013 at 7:11 PM.

FC: 4699-6505-4258
    IGN: Diva

Are...are people REALLY suggesting dragon starters? Especially these ones? I agree with earlier statements-that'd make 'em WAY too overpowered. Granted, after reading 100s of the dark/fighting/psychic convo its a breath of fresh air....
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

LOOKING FOR LEGIT SHINY SEVIPER AND LINOONE! Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"Well maybe pokemon need friends too, sure they're in competition but they need to be loved as well. It's okay to have more than one kind of pokemon like Tyranitar, if you love it enough you can have another because the new one can never take the sentimental value of the orignal, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

Quote Originally Posted by CrusherTheFeraligatr View Post
    Are...are people REALLY suggesting dragon starters? Especially these ones?
    For the most part no one is suggesting Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie will become Dragon-type. Although someone did say something about a Frog dragon >.>

I agree with earlier statements-that'd make 'em WAY too overpowered.
    Not necessarily, read my posts and it explains why. I don't feel like repeating myself.

it wouldn't make them OP...
    dragon type isn't strong just because it is dragon
    the strength of a pokemon depends on it's stats
    not the type
    that's why druddigon and altaria are in the lower tiers

Ask me stupid stuff

It would make them OP in the context of a starter since it destroys the advantage triangle.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    It would make them OP in the context of a starter since it destroys the advantage triangle.
    No it doesn't. Are people just choosing what posts to read and not to read? I mean you don't have to read every post but if a recent post already has the answer you'd think you'd notice.

Anyway this can easily be remedied by giving the other starter the respective type, stat distribution and/or move pool.
    Last edited by cascadethewarrior; 17th March 2013 at 9:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadethewarrior View Post
    For the most part no one is suggesting Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie will become Dragon-type. Although someone did say something about a Frog dragon >.>

Not necessarily, read my posts and it explains why. I don't feel like repeating myself.
    I understand that just because its a dragon it wouldn't be the god of starters. But the arguements that unless it stay the 528-35 range and the typical starter movepool it'd shoot it quite a bit ahead has merit.

Also, genwunners don't need more to complain about.

-My younger brother

No it doesn't. Are people just choosing what posts to read and not to read? I mean you don't have to read every post but if a recent post already has the answer you'd think you'd notice.

Anyway this can easily be remedied by giving the other starter the respective type, stat distribution and/or move pool.
    So you want to screw everyone up just so we can have a dragon starter? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by CrusherTheFeraligatr View Post
    I understand that just because its a dragon it wouldn't be the god of starters. But the arguements that unless it stay the 528-35 range and the typical starter movepool it'd shoot it quite a bit ahead has merit.
    What are you talking about? I never said anything about BST because typically starters final forms are in the 500's range so unless they plan on changing that I though that was pretty much a given. What I said was stat distribution, move pool and the other starter's respective type. So no, it won't necessarily be "quite a bit ahead" just because it has the Dragon-type.

Also, genwunners don't need more to complain about.
    1. Who cares what they think.
    2. Whether or not they approve of a Dragon-type starter that is their own problem.

So you want to screw everyone up just so we can have a dragon starter? I don't think so.
    What are you talking about? Screw what up!? There won't be anything being screwed!

I agree with this here. You'd almost have to rewrite starters. At this point, it seems silly to argue, this is an extremely unlikely situation, even in the future. GF's given us enough dragons to keep us happy, you'd think, without making them starters.

-My younger brother

What are you talking about? Screw what up!? There won't be anything being screwed!
    To make a starter dragon would pigeonhole the other 2 into a very limited range of types, stats, moves etc.

To make a starter dragon would pigeonhole the other 2 into a very limited range of types, stats, moves etc.
    No it wouldn't...
    Last edited by cascadethewarrior; 17th March 2013 at 9:18 PM.

No it wouldn't...
    I'd like to hear your speculation for it then.

No it wouldn't...
    Only 2 types are strong against dragon. If the fire/water was it, that'd make only one. The grass would be 4x weak, which can be done, swampert was a good pokemon.

Unless the others can learn dragon moves, it screws up the rock/paper/scissors aspect of starters.

-My younger brother

Page 376 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 276326366372373374375376377378379380386426476 ... LastLast