View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 377 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 277327367373374375376377378379380381387427477 ... LastLast
Results 9,401 to 9,425 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Come on Froakie! Get three more votes and you'll reach four-hundred!

But anyway, I think Chespin could learn quite a few Fang moves. Such as Bite, Crunch, ThunderFang, Poison Fang...
    *Insert Some Cool Image Here*

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    I'd like to hear your speculation for it then.
    Let's take Serprior for example which many thought or hoped was going to be Grass/Dragon. With this typing Serperior would be 4x weak to Ice. It will be 2X weak to Flying, Poison, Bug, and Dragon. It will resist Electric, Grass and Water by 1/4. It Resist Ground by 1/2.

1) Serperior is has pretty mediocre offensive stats to begin with so even with the supposed "OP" Dragon-type it really won't be doing much. Serperior has pretty good defensive stats but only resisting 4 types is not OP. That's one remedy in it's stat distribution.

2) Giving the respective starter that's supposed to beat the dragon-type starter(in this case Emboar) moves or a respective secondary type to counter the said Pokemon. For example, Emboar can still learn have a good move pool but still be given the right moves to counter the Pokemon without "pigeonholing" it's move pool. That's another remedy

3)Make it so the Dragon-type does not come along until later in the game(the last evolution). For example, You typically did not get Serprior, Emboar and Samurott until around Skyla's gym. That's relativity mid- late game. Not to mention if Serperior was a Dragon-type the last 3 gyms in B/W would be hard for it. These are another remedy.

I will admit though with Fire/Dragon and Water/Dragon this becomes slightly a bit harder to pull off.

FC: 4699-6505-4258

IGN: Diva

Quote Originally Posted by cascadethewarrior View Post
    Let's take Serprior for example which many thought or hoped was going to be Grass/Dragon. With this typing Serperior would be 4x weak to Ice. It will be 2X weak to Flying, Poison, Bug, and Dragon. It will resist Electric, Grass and Water by 1/4. It Resist Ground by 1/2.

1) Serperior is has pretty mediocre offensive stats to begin with so even with the supposed "OP" Dragon-type it really won't be doing much. Serperior has pretty good defensive stats but only resisting 4 types is not OP. That's one remedy in it's stat distribution.

2) Giving the respective starter that's supposed to beat the dragon-type starter(in this case Emboar) moves or a respective secondary type to counter the said Pokemon. For example, Emboar can still learn have a good move pool but still be given the right moves to counter the Pokemon without "pigeonholing" it's move pool. That's another remedy

3)Make it so the Dragon-type does not come along until later in the game(the last evolution). For example, You typically did not get Serprior, Emboar and Samurott until around Skyla's gym. That's relativity mid- late game. Not to mention if Serperior was a Dragon-type the last 3 gyms in B/W would be hard for it. These are another remedy.

I will admit though with Fire/Dragon and Water/Dragon this becomes slightly a bit harder to pull off.
    By using serperior as an example you allow me to counter with this.

Contrary Draco Meteor.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    By using serperior as an example you allow me to counter with this.

Contrary Draco Meteor.
    Then don't give it the move, duh. Or ban it.

FC: 4699-6505-4258

IGN: Diva

Quote Originally Posted by cascadethewarrior View Post
    Then don't give it the move, duh. Or ban it.
    You're gonna deprive a dragon pokemon to their birthright or to ban a pokemon just because? Since when did smogon have anything to do with ingame?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSword39 View Post
    Come on Froakie! Get three more votes and you'll reach four-hundred!

But anyway, I think Chespin could learn quite a few Fang moves. Such as Bite, Crunch, ThunderFang, Poison Fang...
    Heck yes! Poison fang would be awesome! I'm hoping on grass/poison myself.

Also, pokemonsquared, cascadewarrior, why are we still arguing this? No one's going to relent and the chance of it ever happening is as rare as finding a random shiny tynamo with pokerus.
    Last edited by CrusherTheFeraligatr; 17th March 2013 at 11:02 PM.
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, lot of HA pokes, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"If you love it enough you can have another because the new Pokemon can never take the sentimental value of the original, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

Friend code-1375 7776 2368-Heather

My Pangoro in the 6th gen remake of a 3rd gen game will be my future 63rd hundred. This is a great epiphany.

You people are bored and are starting to talk nonsense...

The Dragon type is mystical and rare...the starters are just your default pkmn...they're not supposed to be OP,but neither should they be weak...just strong enough to get you through the game.The BW games were kinda easy and straightforward so the starters were just right.They were mediocre because the region was mediocre.Sinnoh was much tougher and so the starters were much more equipped with dealing with the tough trainers and stuff.If the XY region is tougher than Unova,then the starters will be stronger too.Get what I'm saying?

"Fear is Freedom!
    Subjugation is Liberation!
    Contradiction is Truth!
    These are the truths of the world! Surrender to these truths, you pigs in human clothing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nacreous View Post
    If the XY region is tougher than Unova,then the starters will be stronger too.Get what I'm saying?
    I sure do!

I'm pretty sure they're talking about Starters being Dragons? My answer to this...

NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Nacreous View Post
    You people are bored and are starting to talk nonsense...

The Dragon type is mystical and rare...the starters are just your default pkmn...they're not supposed to be OP,but neither should they be weak...just strong enough to get you through the game.The BW games were kinda easy and straightforward so the starters were just right.They were mediocre because the region was mediocre.Sinnoh was much tougher and so the starters were much more equipped with dealing with the tough trainers and stuff.If the XY region is tougher than Unova,then the starters will be stronger too.Get what I'm saying?
    Thank you! I'm hoping this'll be put to rest.
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, lot of HA pokes, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"If you love it enough you can have another because the new Pokemon can never take the sentimental value of the original, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

My Pangoro in the 6th gen remake of a 3rd gen game will be my future 63rd hundred. This is a great epiphany.

Quote Originally Posted by CrusherTheFeraligatr View Post
    Heck yes! Poison fang would be awesome! I'm hoping on grass/poison myself.
    I'm saying Poison Fang because it is a Grass-Type. Many Grass Pokemon can learn Poison Moves, even if there not Poison. Fire Fang and Ice Fang wouldn't work because it's a Grass.
    I actually don't want Chespin to Poison, hoping for Grass/Dark.

I'm saying Poison Fang because it is a Grass-Type. Many Grass Pokemon can learn Poison Moves, even if there not Poison. Fire Fang and Ice Fang wouldn't work because it's a Grass.
    I actually don't want Chespin to Poison, hoping for Grass/Dark.
    Pfft, no they wouldn't. Though it'd be funny.

Why dark? I know every other post I've raved about this arguement, but maybe you can give me a good answer. I kinda want to know. Is it because that trailer move could be night slash? the ninja angle? Or just hoping?

-My younger brother

It's aerial ace -___- how many more times do people have to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrusherTheFeraligatr View Post
    Why dark? I know every other post I've raved about this arguement, but maybe you can give me a good answer. I kinda want to know. Is it because that trailer move could be night slash? the ninja angle? Or just hoping?
    It looks... sly. And yes, Night Slash in the Trailer.

To Pokemonsquared

Do you have proof on this one? It looks like Night Slash. It's a red/black/purple background. And it hits twice in its animation.
    Last edited by DarkSword39; 17th March 2013 at 11:18 PM.

yeah also aerial ace doesn't have a purple glow...at all

Quote Originally Posted by Yveltal96 View Post
    yeah also aerial ace doesn't have a purple glow...at all
    Yep. I don't know what Aerial Ace looks like in Gen 5, but I fairly know it's red. Not purple.

Yep. I don't know what Aerial Ace looks like in Gen 5, but I fairly know it's red. Not purple.
    the slash is red with white outline
    if that isn't night slash, then it is shadow claw

The Aerial Ace VS Night Slash debate isn't going to end til the game is released, so don't bother.

To Pokemonsquared

Do you have proof on this one? It looks like Night Slash. It's a red/black/purple background. And it hits twice in its animation.
    Ah, thanks for the sane reply. To me, it looks like it'll grow up to be a big friendly, though still formidable doof. It needs a longer muzzle, and for the spikes to go all the way down. I'm hoping for something like the leviathan or tumblr fanart.

Oh god, I've brought the ns/aa argument back.

-My younger brother

SOmeone posted a pic of aerial ace and compared the two.

It's definitely aerial ace.

Are you guys, SERIOUSLY going back to the Aerial Ace debate...? Holy crap, you guys really need new XY information.

@Yveltal96 and Darksword

Quote Originally Posted by BurningWhiteKyurem View Post

Hard to argue that this isn't Aerial Ace...

It's very subtle (considering it was too fast for normal eyes to be seen in the trailer), but if you break it down, it does slash both ways (upwards and downwards). Indicated by the white spots showing attack spots.

Downwards

Upwards
    Yeah but looking over the trailer...they kept the same rendition for moves such as Wish and Aura Sphere. Therefore, it would make sense that the photos above means that it is Aerial Ace.

The purple thing is meant to be the Pokemon moving upwards and downwards simultaneously (the quotes below show what I'm talking about). It doesn't have the claw marks that Shadow Claw has, and it clearly doesn't slash sideways like Night Slash. Due to graphical limitations (I assume), they weren't able to show it in previous games. This is what I mean:

His favorite technique was both respected and feared throughout feudal Japan. It was called the "Turning Swallow Cut" or "Tsubame Gaeshi" (燕返し lit. "Swallow Reversal / Return"), and was so named because it mimicked the motion of a swallow's tail during flight as observed at Kintaibashi Bridge in Iwakuni. This cut was reputedly so quick and precise that it could strike down a bird in mid-flight. There are no direct descriptions of the technique, but it was compared to two other techniques current at the time: the Ittō-ryū's Kinshi Cho Ohken and the Ganryū Kosetsu To; respectively the two involved fierce and swift cuts downward and then immediately upwards. Hence, the "Turning Swallow Cut" has been reconstructed as a technique involving striking downward from above and then instantly striking again in an upward motion from below. The strike's second phase could be from below toward the rear and then upward at an angle, like an eagle climbing again after swooping down on its prey. Kojiro created this technique around 1605.

In addition, judging by the Japanese context. It'd be hard to argue that it isn't Aerial Ace.

Also...Aerial Ace doesn't guarantee Flying type for Chespin's line...I mean c'mon, Tyranitar learns that move...
    Explain to me why it's Shadow Claw/Night Slash when first of all:
    1) There is no claw mark to argue Shadow Claw
    2) There is no sideway slash motion to argue Night Slash
    3) IT HAS AERIAL ACE'S BACKGROUND FFS!

the slash is red with white outline
    if that isn't night slash, then it is shadow claw
    I thought so.

I'm like 95% sure that's Night Slash.
    Adding to the Argument:
    Why on Earth would you use Aerial Ace on Golurk? Wouldn't you use a Grass-Move if it was?

BurningWhiteKyurem: Then what is the Purple Scratch/Slash then?

Are you guys, SERIOUSLY going back to the Aerial Ace debate...? Holy crap, you guys really need new XY information.

@Yveltal96 and Darksword
    yes cool
    but a change as drastic as a yellow to a purple cut?

@Yveltal96 and Darksword
    CoroCoro needs to give us more info. Otherwise I'm going to scream if the continues for one more post.

-My younger brother

yes cool
    but a change as drastic as a yellow to a purple cut?
    You clearly aren't focusing on the obvious Aerial Ace background.

Also This:
    Explain to me why it's Shadow Claw/Night Slash when first of all:
    1) There is no claw mark to argue Shadow Claw
    2) There is no sideway slash motion to argue Night Slash
    3) IT HAS AERIAL ACE'S BACKGROUND FFS!

His favorite technique was both respected and feared throughout feudal Japan. It was called the "Turning Swallow Cut" or "Tsubame Gaeshi" (燕返し lit. "Swallow Reversal / Return"), and was so named because it mimicked the motion of a swallow's tail during flight as observed at Kintaibashi Bridge in Iwakuni. This cut was reputedly so quick and precise that it could strike down a bird in mid-flight. There are no direct descriptions of the technique, but it was compared to two other techniques current at the time: the Ittō-ryū's Kinshi Cho Ohken and the Ganryū Kosetsu To; respectively the two involved fierce and swift cuts downward and then immediately upwards. Hence, the "Turning Swallow Cut" has been reconstructed as a technique involving striking downward from above and then instantly striking again in an upward motion from below. The strike's second phase could be from below toward the rear and then upward at an angle, like an eagle climbing again after swooping down on its prey. Kojiro created this technique around 1605.
    And yet,its base power is 60>.>

"Fear is Freedom!
    Subjugation is Liberation!
    Contradiction is Truth!
    These are the truths of the world! Surrender to these truths, you pigs in human clothing!"

Page 377 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 277327367373374375376377378379380381387427477 ... LastLast