View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 433 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 333383423429430431432433434435436437443483533 ... LastLast
Results 10,801 to 10,825 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

I really cant tell anything from the way they look right now. I mean, look at every other starter pokemon in existence. It's so hard to tell from that base form what they'll be come later on. I mean, in retrospect, we can look back and go (ooh, now we can see it going to this) but it's too hard with no information. I can't tell diddly with Froakie, Chespin, or Fennekin. Just about nobody saw Oshawott go from a bipedal seal to a quadrapedal Sea Lion.

With that in mind, all I can do is say what I hope each ends up becoming. Once the 2nd form comes out, then I can probably make a good guess as to the direction a form will go. But for now, here's my hope as to how it'll end up:

Chespin- Grass/Dark (Bipedal hero look to him with a leafy cape and spike/club tail; dark markings around the eyes like a raccoon)
    Fennekin- Fire/Electric (Sleek, thin & elongated Fox with electric yellow highlights or a fiber-optic cable look to its sides and and fire/sparks from the fluff of its ears)
    Froakie- Water/Steel (Armored Frog Knight; I'm essentially picturing Frog from Chrono Trigger lol)

I know the typings aren't likely (since Grass loses its advantage over Water and Fire gets the advantage while Grass gets screwed) but I'd like to see it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Golemite View Post
    I don't see what's so "psychic" in Fennekin's appearance. It's just your feminine firefox. If you associate it with Espeon's looks, you could as well go with Vulpix/Ninetales. I really can't see anything other but the obviour fire type. How could she even be a fighter? She doesn't have any features for a fighting-type (like standing on two legs nor even looknig that she could do it)! More like psychic with her big head size, but looking at the whole design, nothing really supporting this either.

Chespin looks so happy-go-lucky I can't see him turning into a dark type. You guys are just throwing in some ideas and not basing them anywhere. Again looks pure grass to me.

Froakie... well, water? Hard to say how it could evolve. Ice would be pretty obvious -- but an ice frog? What if they truly stay as fire-fire, grass-grass and water-water this time? ;o I know I wouldn't mind! Then again, they can change anywhere with their evo lines, but I can't find any credible hints from the starting forms.

The personalities are things that shine through the most. Fennekin's your girly prettygirl. Chespin is a brisk rascal. Froakie looks like your more quiet nerdy-boy. I think some of the more common child stereotypes are well represented in these starters, which already goes well together with the names X and Y. That's only my read on the subject, though, and I'm sure many others have thought like that.

Who knows if they will evolve into a primadonna teen girl, angry teen boy and a nice guy/loser type.

On a sidenote, I'd love some starters end up getting typings like Fire/Water, Grass/Fire and Water/Grass. Now that would be interesting!
    Tepig dosen't stand on his two legs, yet his part fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by D!3g0 View Post
    Tepig dosen't stand on his two legs, yet his part fighting.
    Tepig isn't part fighting, pignite and emboar are, And stand on two legs.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

Quote Originally Posted by yuoke View Post
    Tepig isn't part fighting, pignite and emboar are, And stand on two legs.
    I think he means that Tepig does not stand on two legs, and yet his evolutions are part Fighting-type.

Quote Originally Posted by fitzy909 View Post
    by the way nintendo owns both legend of zelda and pokemon, so a lawsuit is not likely. i think froakie will be water/ice. i doubt it will be water/ground (like the tympole line), so water/ice seems quite logical. it could stay as just water, but i want to see it be duel typed. as for chespin, it's bland design kind of makes me think grass/normal, but just grass will probably be what happens.
    Nintendo is still only the publisher though if they were to do that there still would be trouble with the actual creators of Zelda not Nintendo

Yeah, but my point is that there's nothing in Fennekin's appearance that would support it evolving into a Fighting type. I guess it was hard to guess with Tepig as well, but I can see him getting to stand on two STRONG legs, whereas this fragile fox lady will probably never be a fighter.

There are other features that make Pokémon look like a fighter. Angry looks, bulky body type, maybe darker or otherwise more scary coloring... I just picked standing on all fours and not seemingly getting up at any stage of her development. Also she looks very feminine and doesn't look like she has bodily strength. Just doesn't look like a fighter all in all. That what was my point. Surely you can agree that even Tepig, in his bulky and angry appearance, looks more a fighter in the making than Fennekin does.

My current and FINAL Red team.
    I just can't start a new one since there are no Link Cables around these days. Requiscat in Pace! :´(
    (^ Okay, gotta admit it looks better in COLOR! )

Yeah, but my point is that there's nothing in Fennekin's appearance that would support it evolving into a Fighting type. I guess it was hard to guess with Tepig as well, but I can see him getting to stand on two STRONG legs, whereas this fragile fox lady will probably never be a fighter.

There are other features that make Pokémon look like a fighter. Angry looks, bulky body type, maybe darker or otherwise more scary coloring... I just picked standing on all fours and not seemingly getting up at any stage of her development. Also she looks very feminine and doesn't look like she has bodily strength. Just doesn't look like a fighter all in all. That what was my point. Surely you can agree that even Tepig, in his bulky and angry appearance, looks more a fighter in the making than Fennekin does.
    Since Fennekin looks rather... feminine, one can assume that it will evolve to a part Psychic type, right? Anyone can tell common traits for Psychic types, feminine, gentle, smart, etc. Except for maybe Metagross.

Spoiler:- Credits::

- please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth1011 View Post
    Since Fennekin looks rather... feminine, one can assume that it will evolve to a part Psychic type, right? Anyone can tell common traits for Psychic types, feminine, gentle, smart, etc. Except for maybe Metagross.
    Yup, that's what first comes to my mind, although I think even that's too early to say. But Fire or Fire/Psychic feel like the best for me at this point.

Would add the big head, like I did before, to your list. A sign of cleverness and/or possible adaptation to psychic powers.

(Off-topic but someone, somewhere, said that it's not very feminine to have a corpse-eating female. How come? Man-eating? Biting? Aren't those very feminine things to do? Dunno, was probably some older thread's first page but I just leave this here. ._.)

I just can't start a new one since there are no Link Cables around these days. Requiscat in Pace! :´(

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth1011 View Post
    I would eggsecutor in that category way more than metagross, Who basically is stated in his dex as being one of the smartest pokemon ever and like a computer.

Named Admiral Sentret

I don't know.. I mean I doubt many people thought snivy would effectively lose its limbs and turn into a big snake? Even from its second evolution you couldn't really see that coming.

I'm not too sure about that psychic being feminine thing... I mean alakazam, exeggutor, grumpig, hypno, MR mime... just to name a few not feminine psychic types.

<-- Click to go to an amazing guild, Edge of Neo Destruction are always recruiting!

Friend Code.. 1220-6368-0567!

Quote Originally Posted by Regality View Post
    I don't know.. I mean I doubt many people thought snivy would effectively lose its limbs and turn into a big snake? Even from its second evolution you couldn't really see that coming.
    I guess it losing its legs was a little weird, but nothing shocking about it. Samurott was the only third evolution that caught me by surprise at all. Probably the only since Blaziken actually.

Named Admiral Sentret

I'm not too sure about that psychic being feminine thing... I mean alakazam, exeggutor, grumpig, hypno, MR mime... just to name a few not feminine psychic types.
    I guess it was more like an analogy to real life, where women are often thought as being mentally stronger and "more psychic" than men.

I don't see what's so "psychic" in Fennekin's appearance. It's just your feminine firefox. If you associate it with Espeon's looks, you could as well go with Vulpix/Ninetales. I really can't see anything other but the obviour fire type. How could she even be a fighter? She doesn't have any features for a fighting-type (like standing on two legs nor even looknig that she could do it)! More like psychic with her big head size, but looking at the whole design, nothing really supporting this either.

Chespin looks so happy-go-lucky I can't see him turning into a dark type. You guys are just throwing in some ideas and not basing them anywhere. Again looks pure grass to me.

Froakie... well, water? Hard to say how it could evolve. Ice would be pretty obvious -- but an ice frog? What if they truly stay as fire-fire, grass-grass and water-water this time? ;o I know I wouldn't mind! Then again, they can change anywhere with their evo lines, but I can't find any credible hints from the starting forms.

The personalities are things that shine through the most. Fennekin's your girly prettygirl. Chespin is a brisk rascal. Froakie looks like your more quiet nerdy-boy. I think some of the more common child stereotypes are well represented in these starters, which already goes well together with the names X and Y. That's only my read on the subject, though, and I'm sure many others have thought like that.

Who knows if they will evolve into a primadonna teen girl, angry teen boy and a nice guy/loser type.

On a sidenote, I'd love some starters end up getting typings like Fire/Water, Grass/Fire and Water/Grass. Now that would be interesting!
    I think the general census on why we think Fennekin will be fire-psychic is based on the trailer showing it using what appears to be a psychic type attack. Of course it could be a dark type attack, but I believe that is where most see it as a psychic type.
    Looking for:
    My Friend Code: 2509.3114.2631 (Y)

Quote Originally Posted by willythehippie View Post
    I think the general census on why we think Fennekin will be fire-psychic is based on the trailer showing it using what appears to be a psychic type attack. Of course it could be a dark type attack, but I believe that is where most see it as a psychic type.
    I'm all up for being proven wrong and would be quite happy in fact, but it still looks like growl or some type of stat reducing move to me rather than a psychic move. The only thing I see worth going on is it's the colour of psychic attacks

It's argued that the animation looks like it's taking damage but that can be the default "getting attacked" animation and could be used for all attacks, damage inducing or not.

The other argument is that it would be underwhelming that chespin used solarbeam, froakie used some type of quick attack and then fennekin used growl but the trailer is only supposed to showcase the pokemon and it gave the desired effect. Whether it was damage inducing or not is irrelevant if it makes the pokemon look cool (which it did)

Quote Originally Posted by Dren View Post
    I'm all up for being proven wrong and would be quite happy in fact, but it still looks like growl or some type of stat reducing move to me rather than a psychic move. The only thing I see worth going on is it's the colour of psychic attacks

It's argued that the animation looks like it's taking damage but that can be the default "getting attacked" animation and could be used for all attacks, damage inducing or not.

The other argument is that it would be underwhelming that chespin used solarbeam, froakie used some type of quick attack and then fennekin used growl but the trailer is only supposed to showcase the pokemon and it gave the desired effect. Whether it was damage inducing or not is irrelevant if it makes the pokemon look cool (which it did)
    I was thinking along the lines of psywave. I don't recall seeing that move in B/W or B/W2 but then again I'm not much of a psychic-type user.
    Looking for:

Just seems weird to make a desert fox a psychic type.. the only aspect of deserts you can relate to being psychic type are mirages.

<-- Click to go to an amazing guild, Edge of Neo Destruction are always recruiting!

Friend Code.. 1220-6368-0567!

Just seems weird to make a desert fox a psychic type.. the only aspect of deserts you can relate to being psychic type are mirages.
    Yes,ok...Fennekin is based on a fennec fox but its evos will be based on the fennec fox and something else...kinda like with Oshawott and Samurott.

"Fear is Freedom!
    Subjugation is Liberation!
    Contradiction is Truth!
    These are the truths of the world! Surrender to these truths, you pigs in human clothing!"

I agree with you. It doesn't fit the animal the Fennekin is based off of. That's why I mentioned that the idea came from what we saw on the trailer. I think it would be cool to have a fire-ground starter personally as I'm not all for psychic types.
    Looking for:

Quote Originally Posted by RoySceptile View Post
    Maybe this'll be the first single-gender starters, though I doubt it. I'd like to see Fennekin go either Fire/Ghost or Fire/Ground.
    A Fire/Ghost fox with blue flames would look awesome.
    For some reason that reminds me of the shiny ninetails
    Latest Shiny!

Found: Route 12
    Method: Chain Fishing
    Date of Catch: 2/14/14
    Currently Hunting: Eevee, Ekans, Skourpi
    Total Shinies: 10

3DS FC: 5429-6844-5288
    Ice FS: Bergmite, Spheal and Lapras

I just want Fennekin to remain quadrupedal. I want it to be a beast!
    Looking for:

Yup, that's what first comes to my mind, although I think even that's too early to say. But Fire or Fire/Psychic feel like the best for me at this point.

Would add the big head, like I did before, to your list. A sign of cleverness and/or possible adaptation to psychic powers.

(Off-topic but someone, somewhere, said that it's not very feminine to have a corpse-eating female. How come? Man-eating? Biting? Aren't those very feminine things to do? Dunno, was probably some older thread's first page but I just leave this here. ._.)
    Pretty sure 'a big head' has zero relation to whether or not it's psychic. It has a big head because that's how it was designed, and if it didn't have a big head, its ears would look ridiculous. I think we can assume Fennekin are clever, not because they have a big head, but because they're based on foxes. Foxes are characterized as sly, clever, etc. It has nothing to do with how big the head is.

Also, in your other post, talking about Fennekin not being able to become fighting type. While I definitely don't want it to be one, who's saying it can't be? Fennekin is on four legs, yes. Know who else is on four legs? Keldeo and the musketeers. So clearly if they want a fighting type on four legs, they can have it. Its legs wouldn't be thick enough for a fighting type when it evolved, you said? Kirlia and Torchic say hi.

Alpha Sapphire Team

Quote Originally Posted by FallBird View Post
    Pretty sure 'a big head' has zero relation to whether or not it's psychic. It has a big head because that's how it was designed, and if it didn't have a big head, its ears would look ridiculous. I think we can assume Fennekin are clever, not because they have a big head, but because they're based on foxes. Foxes are characterized as sly, clever, etc. It has nothing to do with how big the head is.

Also, in your other post, talking about Fennekin not being able to become fighting type. While I definitely don't want it to be one, who's saying it can't be? Fennekin is on four legs, yes. Know who else is on four legs? Keldeo and the musketeers. So clearly if they want a fighting type on four legs, they can have it. Its legs wouldn't be thick enough for a fighting type when it evolved, you said? Kirlia and Torchic say hi.
    I think Frnnekin is going to be Fire/Psychic Fire/Dark or maybe they will eliminate fire all together (not likely) and it will be Psychic/Dark
    Latest Shiny!

Found: Route 12
    Method: Chain Fishing
    Date of Catch: 2/14/14
    Currently Hunting: Eevee, Ekans, Skourpi
    Total Shinies: 10

3DS FC: 5429-6844-5288
    Ice FS: Bergmite, Spheal and Lapras

I think I''l choose Chespin I always choose the grass starters, it's my tradition. Plus he looks happy and he's pretty cool. Froakie is decent imo and I like Fennekin. Overall, the set is nice, I like it. They're all good choices

Forget Froakie. I'm choosing Fennekin!... I'll nickname it Starfox...

Honestly, who wants Fennekin to stay 4-legged? I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Räven View Post
    Forget Froakie. I'm choosing Fennekin!... I'll nickname it Starfox...

Honestly, who wants Fennekin to stay 4-legged? I do.
    Same here! We haven't had a four legged final evo of a fire starter since... ever! Though technically Typhlosion does run on all fours sometimes, if memory of the anime serves me right.

Alpha Sapphire Team

Page 433 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 333383423429430431432433434435436437443483533 ... LastLast