View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 440 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 340390430436437438439440441442443444450490540 ... LastLast
Results 10,976 to 11,000 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Furret Master View Post
    Honestly, I could see that happening. I don't think GameFreak is bound to keeping the Pokemon stick to one exact species. The Pidove family, for example, is a combination of different kinds of birds. Honestly, if they can make the design work, it would be pretty cool.
    No line should be tied or held down to one species, so I guess Chespin should become some big Ursidae mammal as speculated by Nacreous.
        Spoiler:- Just- lol:

Quote Originally Posted by GenosectArceus View Post
    No line should be tied or held down to one species, so I guess Chespin should become some big Ursidae mammal as speculated by Nacreous.
    That could be interesting. I just hope that Chespin's family turns out great. I have heard that a lot of people have made/make fun of Oshawott and his family, and I can't figure out why that is (he was the reason I bought 5th gen). Basically, I'm hoping GameFreak can really impress with Chespin's family.
    Let's face it: ferret-esque Pokemon are the most epic Pokemon ever (to me)!!!!!! Why can't Nintendo make ones that AREN'T NU Pokemon?!? One of these guys in standard would make me quite happy.

Started by jesusfreak94:
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9186-8386 Pokemon Found: Mienfoo, Throw, Breloom

My question hasn't been answered yet, but I think Fennekin's evo could become an awesome big wolverine Pokémon (and that does not mean it becomes Fire/Fighting!).

So we have Chespin becoming an offensive bear, Froakie becoming a specially offensive salamander/dragon, and Fennekin becoming a possibly specially bulky wolverine.

Any edits?

My question hasn't been answered yet, but I think Fennekin's evo could become an awesome big wolverine Pokémon (and that does not mean it becomes Fire/Fighting!).

So we have Chespin becoming an offensive bear, Froakie becoming a specially offensive salamander/dragon, and Fennekin becoming a possibly specially bulky wolverine.

Any edits?
    Not really, I could definitely see those as options. I would say that I personally would rather not see Chespin become a bear. However, that does not exclude the possibility, and I could see our three starters become those speculated options.
    Let's face it: ferret-esque Pokemon are the most epic Pokemon ever (to me)!!!!!! Why can't Nintendo make ones that AREN'T NU Pokemon?!? One of these guys in standard would make me quite happy.

Started by jesusfreak94:

Do you guys seriously and honestly think GameFreak is going to deviate from the animal theme of the starters...? You people really need to see the starter evolutionary chains of every generation then: Charmander was repitilian and kept that as it evolved from Charmeleon and Charizard, Squirtle references a turtle and kept that theme as it evolved into Wartortle and Blastoise, Bulbasaur has a dinosaur theme and continues it as it evolves to Ivysaur and Venusaur. Same goes for Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova's starters and many other Pokemon.

So really, how does it make sense to say that GameFreak will not tie a Pokemon evolution chain to one animal (theme at the very least) when they've been doing that for all 5 generations...? So it's outrageous to hear that a frog will become a dragon, porcupine/hedgehog into a bear, and a fox into a wolverine when there's nothing connecting the two species in the first place. Makes absolutely no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrint View Post
    There's always the kitsune and the nine-tailed fox. Though they already have Ninetails covering the nine-tailed fox theme.
    Ninetailed foxes (Kyubi) are just a form of kitsune (Which we already have two different groups of anyways, with Zorua/Zoroark). And I'd rather not replay what we've already seen. There IS another Japanese mythological fox, the tube fox (Kuda-gitsune), and they are very much associated with spirits (and are in fact, spirit familiars in their mythology.

Honestly, though, I'd rather Fennekin keep to it's Fennec Fox roots, not go into Japanese mythology. It's a desert-dwelling fox that thrives in the sand - honestly, I think a Fire-Ground fennec fox pokemon would be pretty sweet, though the moves used do point towards psychic. The fennec fox, though, is African, and incorporating it and it's hugenormous ears into Japanese mythos seems silly and out of place. I'm BORED of kitsune (and kumiho and huli jing too, for that matter. Same myth.) They are present in EVERY franchise, from League of Legends to Naruto to Sonic. I think making Fennekin a kitsune is a major mistake and redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningWhiteKyurem View Post
    Do you guys seriously and honestly think GameFreak is going to deviate from the animal theme of the starters...? You people really need to see the starter evolutionary chains of every generation then: Charmander was repitilian and kept that as it evolved from Charmeleon and Charizard, Squirtle references a turtle and kept that theme as it evolved into Wartortle and Blastoise, Bulbasaur has a dinosaur theme and continues it as it evolves to Ivysaur and Venusaur. Same goes for Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova's starters and many other Pokemon.

So really, how does it make sense to say that GameFreak will not tie a Pokemon evolution chain to one animal (theme at the very least) when they've been doing that for all 5 generations...? So it's outrageous to hear that a frog will become a dragon, porcupine/hedgehog into a bear, and a fox into a wolverine when there's nothing connecting the two species in the first place. Makes absolutely no sense at all.
    Whoa, you're right. They would never connect a mammal to a mammal.

While I understand your point and concede that the trend you pointed out is indeed true, that doesn't really mean GameFreak has to stick to it. Will they? Not sure. Can they? Yes, they are the designers. GameFreak has done it in other Pokemon families, so to rule out the idea just because "GameFreak's always done it that way" is not necessarily a valid assumption. Of course, they may very well stick to what they've done, and that's fine. I just think folks would like to see if GameFreak shall break the mold a bit in a tasteful fashion.

Started by jesusfreak94:

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokeBroKing View Post
    Well, BWK has a point. Although a salamander and a frog are both amphibians, they're really no the same species. Typhlosion was an exception however. It started from a mouse and went to some monster, and Typhlosion does not look like the rodent it used to be as Cyndaquil and Quilava.

But BurningWhiteKyurem, you're missing the part where change is becoming a bit more common now. GF made two sequel games to the fifth gen games because that would be a better strategy in the gaming market, where one third game to BW would have still kept the company alive financially. Unconvntionality may become more common in the future, but I think it should start now by having at least one Starter evolve into a species of animal it doesn't start out as. Probably Froakie.

Quote Originally Posted by Furret Master View Post
    While I understand your point and concede that the trend you pointed out is indeed true, that doesn't really mean GameFreak has to stick to it. Will they? Not sure. Can they? Yes, they are the designers. GameFreak has done it in other Pokemon families, so to rule out the idea just because "GameFreak's always done it that way" is not necessarily a valid assumption. Of course, they may very well stick to what they've done, and that's fine. I just think folks would like to see if GameFreak shall break the mold a bit in a tasteful fashion.
    Except when they've done it for the exceptions such as other evolutionary chains, it was mostly due to mythology/backstory (such as Yamask, Shuppet etc.) or to display growth through relating two different yet similar species (such as Ekans, Poliwag-Politoed etc.). The argument isn't necessarily that GameFreak did this so it must be this, it's more so the logic of following the animal theme embedded within each Pokemon in an evolutionary chain (and before everyone goes "LOL LOGIK IN MY POEKMANS, BE QUEIT NOOB"...let me explain myself first): A Frog becoming a Dragon makes no sense because there is no connection or mythology (at least not to my knowledge) showing how Frogs could possibly grow up to become Dragons, at least you can play with other species of Frog/Toad to showcase that there is some relationship within the evolutionary chain. Same goes for Fox>Wolverine, and Porcupine>Bear.

@SlowPokeBroKing: Mammals mean nothing...it's the species that matter and the relation they may have with other species.

Well, BWK has a point. Although a salamander and a frog are both amphibians, they're really no the same species. Typhlosion was an exception however. It started from a mouse and went to some monster, and Typhlosion does not look like the rodent it used to be as Cyndaquil and Quilava.

But BurningWhiteKyurem, you're missing the part where change is becoming a bit more common now. GF made two sequel games to the fifth gen games because that would be a better strategy in the gaming market, where one third game to BW would have still kept the company alive financially. Unconvntionality may become more common in the future, but I think it should start now by having at least one Starter evolve into a species of animal it doesn't start out as. Probably Froakie.
    I agree with this. GameFreak has been trying to experiment with their approach on some things, so to see that in the starters, or ever just one starter, would not be a horrible idea. Again, as long as it is tasteful and done well, GameFreak is more than welcome to deviate from the standards that we expect to see from them.

Started by jesusfreak94:

Which is totally why an echidna/tenrec (Cyndaquil) ended up as a honey badger (Typhlosion), and a shrew/armadillo (sandshrew) ended up as the completely unrelated pangolin. It's been happening since gen one, buddy. Sorry to let you know. At least a fox and wolverine are more closely related than a tenrec and a honey badger.

I'm a biologist with a major interest in taxonomy - pokemon makes unrelated critters "related" all the time. Granted, I would like a spiny-lookin final Chespin - There's a lot of potential in porcupines and the unrelated hedgehogs, echidnas and tenrecs (there's a lot of convergent evolution for "spiny mammal"). Anyone who has seen a cape porcupine can tell you that.

Except when they've done it for the exceptions such as other evolutionary chains, it was mostly due to mythology/backstory (such as Yamask, Shuppet etc.) or to display growth through relating two different yet similar species (such as Ekans, Poliwag-Politoed etc.). The argument isn't necessarily that GameFreak did this so it must be this, it's more so the logic of following the animal theme embedded within each Pokemon in an evolutionary chain (and before everyone goes "LOL LOGIK IN MY POEKMANS, BE QUEIT NOOB"...let me explain myself first): A Frog becoming a Dragon makes no sense because there is no connection or mythology (at least not to my knowledge) showing how Frogs could possibly grow up to become Dragons, at least you can play with other species of Frog/Toad to showcase that there is some relationship within the evolutionary chain. Same goes for Fox>Wolverine, and Porcupine>Bear.

@SlowPokeBroKing: Mammals mean nothing...it's the species that matter and the relation they may have with other species.
    And that is perfectly valid. A toad to a dragon is a bit of a stretch. I just don't want us to get too caught up in how GameFreak has always done things to not let them expand a bit. But your point is quite valid. That's why I've said that they need to do it well, not just throw out a new way of doing things just because they can (which no one has said this, and that's good).

Started by jesusfreak94:

I'd like it if they incorporated Egyptian Mythology or African Forklore into Fennekin's evolutions. We haven't seen much in Pokémon from that part of the world, it would be nice to see that.

It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

pretty sure a a hedgehog doesn't turn into a bear nor does it have any relation to it

Quote Originally Posted by Skiddsy View Post
    Which is totally why an echidna/tenrec (Cyndaquil) ended up as a honey badger (Typhlosion), and a shrew/armadillo (sandshrew) ended up as the completely unrelated pangolin. It's been happening since gen one, buddy. Sorry to let you know. At least a fox and wolverine are more closely related than a tenrec and a honey badger.

I'm a biologist with a major interest in taxonomy - pokemon makes unrelated critters "related" all the time. Granted, I would like a spiny-lookin final Chespin - There's a lot of potential in porcupines and the unrelated hedgehogs, echidnas and tenrecs (there's a lot of convergent evolution for "spiny mammal"). Anyone who has seen a cape porcupine can tell you that.
    cyndaquil was a mouse and typhlosion is a rat and also sandshrew and sandslash are both "Mouse Pokemon"
    Last edited by Yveltal96; 20th April 2013 at 5:58 AM.

Ask me stupid stuff
    Credit for the Banner goes to Sworn Metalhead

Seal--Dugong
    Carp--Dragon
    Crocodile--Alligator
    Fish--Octopus
    Otter--Sea Lion
    Seagull--Pelican
    Piranha--Shark
    Seal--Walrus
    Raccoon--Badger
    Mouse--Rhino
    Caterpillar--Bee
    Caterpillar--Moth
    Echidna--Badger
    Rottweiler--Doberman

In case you forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by Yveltal96 View Post
    pretty sure a a hedgehog doesn't turn into a bear nor does it have any relation to it
    I'd really like a non-polar ursidae Pokémon though. So I guess Froakie could have a better chance at a good transformation as it evolves than Chespin and Fennekin.

Quote Originally Posted by Taodragon View Post
    I'd like it if they incorporated Egyptian Mythology or African Forklore into Fennekin's evolutions. We haven't seen much in Pokémon from that part of the world, it would be nice to see that.
    I've always thought Egyptian concepts could be a possibility for Fennekin evo, it's just that everyone else, wanted it to become a Kyuubi.

cyndaquil was a mouse and typhlosion is a rat and also sandshrew and sandslash are both "Mouse Pokemon"
    Typhlosion is no rat. According to Bulbepedia, he is based off a honey badger and has some possible ties to weasels. Weasels are not rats, so in that case, Typhlosion actually deviates from the original starter. In that case, it wouldn't be completely unreasonable to see it in Gen 6.
    Last edited by Furret Master; 20th April 2013 at 6:06 AM.

Started by jesusfreak94:

Seal--Dugong
    Carp--Dragon
    Crocodile--Alligator
    Fish--Octopus
    Otter--Sea Lion
    Seagull--Pelican
    Piranha--Shark
    Seal--Walrus
    Raccoon--Badger
    Mouse--Rhino
    Caterpillar--Bee
    Caterpillar--Moth
    Echidna--Badger
    Rottweiler--Doberman

In case you forgot.
    yes because a hedgehog turning into a bear is exactly like that
    the only one on this list that makes sense is the octillery reference
    also what pokemon are you referring to for the Echidna--Badger

Ask me stupid stuff

yes because a hedgehog turning into a bear is exactly like that
    the only one on this list that makes sense is the octillery reference
    also what pokemon are you referring to for the Echidna--Badger
    Cyndaquil and Typhlosion.
    I would say a Piranha to a Shark would be the perfect comparison to the Hedgehog-Bear theory.
    A small animal that evolves into a bigger animal whose only connection is that they are fish.

I would say a Piranha to a Shark would be the perfect comparison to the Hedgehog-Bear theory.
    A small animal that evolves into a bigger animal whose only connection is that they are fish.
    yes but they at least have similar activities being vicious sea carnivores
    a harmless little hedgehog turning into a big vicious bear?
    also, what relation does a frog have to a dragon?

Ask me stupid stuff

We have seen GameFreak do it before, so this is true. I do think that GameFreak might want to stick to the same animal when it comes to the starters, but I wouldn't be upset if they something in the Hedgehog-Bear theory (although I would prefer if it wasn't a bear, but that's just me).

Started by jesusfreak94:

the labels really mean next to nothing. Pikachu is labeled a "mouse", but it's pretty obviously a viscacha to me. Sandshrew and sandslash are labeled as "mouse pokemon", and yet the word "shrew" is in sandshrew's name. The pokemon "type" is a simplification for kids. If I told a little kid that lileep was a crinoid, they wouldn't know what I'm talking about. But that's pretty obviously what it's based on, just like anorith is an anomalocaris, and not in any way an "old shrimp".

Raccoon--Badger
    Mouse--Rhino
    I have no idea which Pokémon we're talking about with these ones.

Maybe Chespin (hedgehog) can be some giant raccoon as its final evo. Is their a good enough species relation to that?

Mouse--Rhino
    And what would that be?

Page 440 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 340390430436437438439440441442443444450490540 ... LastLast