View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 485 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 385435475481482483484485486487488489495535585 ... LastLast
Results 12,101 to 12,125 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

One has to also look at the species...monkeys are fast and sleek, penguins cannot run, plus...aren't baby penguins tiny compared to baby monkeys? As for Serperior...snakes do not usually give off the impression of being fat or bulky at all, hence Serperior's weight.

I just find it strange that Fennekin is a little heavier than Chespin though, since one would probably expect the latter to be heavier. Hey, maybe it's Fennekin's head for all we know, and can point to possibly high Sp.Def and Sp.Atk. XD As for bipedal or quadrupedal...I'd prefer Chespin to stay bipedal for a change of pace. Gives more possibilities for a wide movepool too. XD

~ Signature under Construction ~

| Lucian and Grimsley are mine. Touch and I will cut you. | That also applies to Houndoom. | Clock: Equal-To-Heaven |

Quote Originally Posted by *Jean Grey* View Post
    One has to also look at the species...monkeys are fast and sleek, penguins cannot run, plus...aren't baby penguins tiny compared to baby monkeys? As for Serperior...snakes do not usually give off the impression of being fat or bulky at all, hence Serperior's weight.

I just find it strange that Fennekin is a little heavier than Chespin though, since one would probably expect the latter to be heavier. Hey, maybe it's Fennekin's head for all we know, and can point to possibly high Sp.Def and Sp.Atk. XD As for bipedal or quadrupedal...I'd prefer Chespin to stay bipedal for a change of pace. Gives more possibilities for a wide movepool too. XD
    Bro, if we have to look at the species fennec fox are slim and fast, hedgehog are terribly slow and fat for their size. And a final evolution starter just increase the size of the base form when the base form starter specie is small (Blastoise and tortera giant turtles. serperior gian snake, Blaziken giant chicken, charizard giant lizard etc.) Try to imagine a giant hedgehog and a giant fox.. I mean I don't have a lot of doubts about weight and agility..

This is a hedgehog without spines...this isn't exactly what I'd call "terribly fat". XD Built very similarly to Chespin, actually. XD

http://img.izismile.com/img/img2/200...edgehog_05.jpg
    http://www.ozzienews.com/wp-content/...s-hedgehog.jpg

I guess it's a given that it's slow to average in terms of speed. I just think that it doesn't have to be fully defensive and should have at least one good offensive stat above 100, since Grass often gets the shaft and all.
    Last edited by *Jean Grey*; 15th May 2013 at 7:28 PM.

| Lucian and Grimsley are mine. Touch and I will cut you. | That also applies to Houndoom. | Clock: Equal-To-Heaven |

Do you guys think Chespin will keep its round face, or do you guys think Chespin will have a more conish face?

This is a hedgehog without spines...this isn't exactly what I'd call "terribly fat". XD Built very similarly as Chespin, actually.

http://img.izismile.com/img/img2/200...edgehog_05.jpg
    http://www.ozzienews.com/wp-content/...s-hedgehog.jpg

I guess it's a given that it's slow to average in terms of speed. I just think that it doesn't have to be fully defensive and should have at least one good offensive stat above 100, since Grass often gets the shaft and all.
    It is instead.. You just see it small so this fool you.. But imagine a hedgehog and a fox of the same size, the fox will remain the same while the hedgehog will gain other weight. And don't forget that you cannot simply cut its spines XD Chespin has them and belive me, they will grow.. Chespin has also its shell (that will grow) while fennekin has nothing on it. Other weight to count.
    And btw 100 base stat is not "a good offensive", much over the average..
    Last edited by john90; 15th May 2013 at 7:41 PM.

Covered in spines, not necessarily very fat. That points more towards Defense than HP though, with armor, spines and shell. Unless you're telling me that it will go the Capybara route and get that fat... What's wrong with good Atk and Def at the same time? Torterra pulled it off, with 95 HP. It's most probably going to be slow or barely average at most, so it has to have some offense to compensate.

100 Atk minimum is fair enough if he's to have some defenses, around 95 base HP and would be slow to boot, since the average Atk of a fully-evolved Pokemon is 90, as could be seen here:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stats#Attack

I'd preferably like it around 110. Remember Meganium? 82 Atk and 83 Sp.Atk. Serperior? 75 both. Chespin has a lot of potential in a good offensive movepool with its claws, as well as perhaps its spines. Also, the very possible Earthquake. I don't like seeing it go to waste and it having a tiny one like Meganium's and Serperior's. 1
    Last edited by *Jean Grey*; 15th May 2013 at 7:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by confuser987 View Post
    Do you guys think Chespin will keep its round face, or do you guys think Chespin will have a more conish face?
    I'm hoping for a more pointed face. Some cross between excadrill and raticate. Typhlosion's face is ideal for me. I think he'd look ugly fully evolved with a flat face.
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, lot of HA pokes, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"If you love it enough you can have another because the new Pokemon can never take the sentimental value of the original, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

Friend code-1375 7776 2368-Heather

My Pangoro in the 6th gen remake of a 3rd gen game will be my future 63rd hundred. This is a great epiphany.

Speaking of other starters, apparently you can get a kanto starter from a separate professor named Sycamore(they had to include at least one tree professor). This is according to a post by WPM on pokebeach just minutes ago. I personally am very happy about this, and I'd be even happier if it was in the regional dex.
    Last edited by Terra Force; 15th May 2013 at 8:02 PM.

Pokemon Soulsilver Badge Quest

Complete!

3DS Friend Code: 5370-0649-6456

Quote Originally Posted by Charizardmaster#1 View Post
    Speaking of other starters, apparently you can get a kanto starter from a separate professor named Sycamore(they had to include at least one tree professor). This is according to a post by WPM on pokebeach just minutes ago. I personally am very happy about this, and I'd be even happier if it was in the regional dex.
    eh, like I said one the dex thread, if they do have them, it'll be post game. It'd take away from the magic of new starters. People would use them instead.
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, lot of HA pokes, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"If you love it enough you can have another because the new Pokemon can never take the sentimental value of the original, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

My Pangoro in the 6th gen remake of a 3rd gen game will be my future 63rd hundred. This is a great epiphany.

Covered in spines, not necessarily very fat. That points more towards Defense than HP though, with armor, spines and shell. Unless you're telling me that it will go the Capybara route and get that fat... What's wrong with good Atk and Def at the same time? Torterra pulled it off, with 95 HP. It's most probably going to be slow or barely average at most, so it has to have some offense to compensate.

100 Atk minimum is fair enough if he's to have some defenses, around 95 base HP and would be slow to boot, since the average Atk of a fully-evolved Pokemon is 90, as could be seen here:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stats#Attack

I'd preferably like it around 110. Remember Meganium? 82 Atk and 83 Sp.Atk. Serperior? 75 both. Chespin has a lot of potential in a good offensive movepool with its claws, as well as perhaps its spines. Also, the very possible Earthquake. I don't like seeing it go to waste and it having a tiny one like Meganium's and Serperior's. 1
    We are talking about weight in fact, when a starter has something on it, this will grow and make it heavier (Bulbasaur and chikorita bulbs became a giant flower, squirtle and torterra shells became thick and solid, Osahwott seashell became a real armor etc.) Wel,l actually when 2nd stage starters evolve also their particular things they are not exactly light as you can see and chespin shell will become something for sure.
    About the HP and the attack I said nothing.. Just want to point out however that looking at chespin its final form will have around 95-100 base HP and this will make him slow (let's say 70 to be generous cause no other starter with over 90 HP has more then 70 base Speed). If you want to give him 110 base attack, this would mean 250 base stats left for defenses and sp. att. (about 83 for stat). The problem is that Chespin is slow and has 7 weaknesses (with fairy), 80 base defenses will make him easy to kick out.

Quote Originally Posted by john90 View Post
    We are talking about weight in fact, when a starter has something on it, this will grow and make it heavier (Bulbasaur and chikorita bulbs became a giant flower, squirtle and torterra shells became thick and solid, Osahwott seashell became a real armor etc.) Wel,l actually when 2nd stage starters evolve also their particular things they are not exactly light as you can see and chespin shell will become something for sure.
    About the HP and the attack I said nothing.. Just want to point out however that looking at chespin its final form will have around 95-100 base HP and this will make him slow (let's say 70 to be generous cause no other starter with over 90 HP has more then 70 base Speed). If you want to give him 110 base attack, this would mean 250 base stats left for defenses and sp. att. (about 83 for stat). The problem is that Chespin is slow and has 7 weaknesses (with fairy), 80 base defenses will make him easy to kick out.
    I could deal with him having 85-90 atk. Also, if fairy is eal, are the other starters affected by it?

-My younger brother

Quote Originally Posted by CrusherTheFeraligatr View Post
    I could deal with him having 85-90 atk. Also, if fairy is eal, are the other starters affected by it?
    Froakie will but it will have 5 weaknesses in total, 7 resistences and no x4.. Fennekin will still have 5 weaknesses and 7 resistences (with fairy).. Grass types are always disadvantaged about typing but GF is fool to give Chespin Dark(or fighting/psychic) second type which simply increases its weaknesses (7 weaknesses of which one x4 and 6 resistences).

Froakie will but it will have 5 weaknesses in total, 7 resistences and no x4.. Fennekin will still have 5 weaknesses and and 7 resistences (with fairy).. Grass type are always disadvantaged about typing but GF is fool to give Chespin Dark(or fighting/psychic) second type which simply increases its weaknesses
    Yes, I mean c'mon, we don't have a non legendary hedgehog/porcupine yet, let it shine! Give it rock/steel! We have plenty of foxes/frogs already.

-My younger brother

Yes, I mean c'mon, we don't have a non legendary hedgehog/porcupine yet, let it shine! Give it rock/steel! We have plenty of foxes/frogs already.
    It could also shine, let's hope it will not burn in battles.. Dark type has some credit however .. I would have loved rock type..

It could also shine, let's hope it will not burn in battles..
    Yeah, for once give a grass decent stats, type and movepool. I think water or fire could suffer for once.

-My younger brother

I was in agreement that Chespin is probably going to be slow and maybe armored, just not built as crazily as Emboar, since Emboar is...something else.

Chespin does not look like a Special-oriented kind of Starter...it could easily have 60-70 Sp.Atk, 85-95 Sp.Def and 90-100 Def. Push its Speed down to 60-65, then it looks better. Look at this:

HP: 95
    Atk: 115
    Def: 105
    Sp.Atk: 60
    Sp. Def: 90
    Speed: 65

Looks pretty good to me if BST should hover at around 530. There's good defenses and a great offense to use. 85 Atk as the best attacking stat does not even scrape 300 (295), and 90 only barely over 300.
    Last edited by *Jean Grey*; 15th May 2013 at 8:32 PM.

I was in agreement that Chespin is probably going to be slow, just not built like Emboar.

Chespin does not look like a Special-oriented kind of Starter...it could easily have 60-70 Sp.Atk, 85-95 Sp.Def and 90-100 Def. Push its Speed down to 60-65, then it looks better. Look at this:

Looks pretty good to me. There's good defenses and a great offense to use. XD
    Just give it a decent movepool and type and I'm sold. And hopefully a good design.

-My younger brother

I was in agreement that Chespin is probably going to be slow and maybe armored, just not built as crazily as Emboar, since Emboar is...something else.

Looks pretty good to me if BST should hover at around 530. There's good defenses and a great offense to use. 85 Atk as the best attacking stat does not even scrape 300 (295), and 90 only barely over 300.
    60 sp att?Chespin Leaf storm will be like Razor leaf.. Bulbasaur has 65 base sp. att. at its base form -.-

60 sp att?Chespin Leaf storm will be like Razor leaf (Bulbasaur has 65 base sp. att.) -.-
    I can't see chespin being special.

-My younger brother

Me neither, he looks Physical and Fennekin is probably Special, so there should be a contrast. Froakie could be like Infernape. Plus, Leaf Storm has its drawbacks unless Chespin somehow has Contrary. The theoretical Leaf Blade is better, IMO....no drawbacks....unless he gets an exclusive move based on spines with good BP. XD

I can't see chespin being special.
    Me either but man there's never been a starter with less then 75 base sp. att. You really want Chespin to be rememberd for being the one with 60 base sp. att?
    All the starters are special types and need a decent sp. att. I know special types have also physical moves but most of the strongest grass/fire/water moves are special..
    Last edited by john90; 15th May 2013 at 9:08 PM.

Me neither, he looks Physical and Fennekin is probably Special, so there should be a contrast. Froakie could be like Infernape. Plus, Leaf Storm has its drawbacks unless Chespin somehow has Contrary. The theoretical Leaf Blade is better, IMO....no drawbacks....unless he gets an exclusive move based on spines with good BP. XD
    Sounds right. I kinda can't see leaf blade unless the spines get rather long. Needle arm/new needle move seems more likely.

-My younger brother

Me either but man there's never been a starter with less then 75 base sp. att. You really want Chespin to be rememberd for being the one with 60 base sp. att?
    He won't be if he is. Everyone will gaze at his better stats.

Yes that is a Female Dino Charge Red. It's a FanFic thing
    3DS FC: 3995-6518-0794

Quote Originally Posted by rocky505 View Post
    Yeah like everyone forgot about Emboar 65 defense, sp, defense and speed.. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by rocky505 View Post
    Yeah, as long as his movepool isn't mostly special with those stats, he'll be fine.

-My younger brother

Page 485 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 385435475481482483484485486487488489495535585 ... LastLast