View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 547 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 447497537543544545546547548549550551557597647 ... LastLast
Results 13,651 to 13,675 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Flygon View Post
    We've never had a water starter who was faster than it's other two counterparts in a region. They are pretty slow though, none have more than 90 base speed.
    So? I really don't understand this emphasis on speed. Heck, isn't on of them faster than luxray? And empoleon's slower than torterra?
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, lot of HA pokes, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"If you love it enough you can have another because the new Pokemon can never take the sentimental value of the original, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

Friend code-1375 7776 2368-Heather

My Pangoro in the 6th gen remake of a 3rd gen game will be my future 63rd hundred. This is a great epiphany.

Quote Originally Posted by CrusherTheFeraligatr View Post
    So? I really don't understand this emphasis on speed. Heck, isn't on of them faster than luxray? And empoleon's slower than torterra?
    Luxray isn't a starter, just an early electric type no more starter than bidoof. We simply want a water starter that is faster than both it's water and fire counterpart, not one or the other. It's not like we want all water starters to be like that, we'd just like to see at least one.
    Hoenn was the best region copy and paste this if you agree (started by BATTLEFRONTIERASH)

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Flygon View Post
    Luxray isn't a starter, just an early electric type no more starter than bidoof. We simply want a water starter that is faster than both it's water and fire counterpart, not one or the other. It's not like we want all water starters to be like that, we'd just like to see at least one.
    One wouldn't be bad. Granted, I'm not going to use him anyways.
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, lot of HA pokes, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"If you love it enough you can have another because the new Pokemon can never take the sentimental value of the original, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

My Pangoro in the 6th gen remake of a 3rd gen game will be my future 63rd hundred. This is a great epiphany.

Mystic Flygon is right I wasn't saying anything bad about the other water starters. Heck I have always picked the water started on my first play through each generation since the games came out. So wanting a water started that has better speed then the other too isn't really asking for much imo.
        Spoiler:- Current Pokemon X Team:

50% of Serebii users are relapsing pokemon fans...if you are among those that never got off the band wagon...copy and paste this in your sig (started by CyberBlastoise)...

Quote Originally Posted by Zecaomes View Post
    I'll definetely use Chespin. It looks like Oshawott, but it's even cooler. I also loved Fennekin, but not as much as I love Chespin. Froakie is OK.
    Yes. I loved oshawott, problem is my cousin who I fight pretty much monthy has a samurott. so I kept mine a dewott to keep things real. this time he is choosing fenneken (whom I also liked) so now I get a cute chespin all to myself. hope the evos come out good. I think it is just me, but I want a grass/electric. that would be cool. I am also looking forward to the game overall, as I need one more pokemon in my team to have 6, enough to train to Lv.100 and get into the world championships. also the battle requirements when my cousin, my brother, some friends and I have our annual pokemon tournament, you need 6. I have been using a Dewott. I need another member.
    RPC I: http://betterbracketmaker.com/#!/65849c7c43f15

*Credit For The Signature goes to Sworn Metalhead

Check out my battle video at
    http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-38894081

That is messed up.
    Tortoise quicker than a penguin.

<-- Click to go to an amazing guild, Edge of Neo Destruction are always recruiting!

Friend Code.. 1220-6368-0567!

Quote Originally Posted by Regality View Post
    That is messed up.
    Lol I agree, but think of it like this, Torterra only has a huge tree on it's back, while Empoleon has steel armor all over it's body.
        Spoiler:- Current Pokemon X Team:

50% of Serebii users are relapsing pokemon fans...if you are among those that never got off the band wagon...copy and paste this in your sig (started by CyberBlastoise)...

Man, I was going to go Fennekin not only because I liked the design, but because Fire types are usually thin on the ground. But it looks like we're getting some really good ones this gen. I might still pick Fennekin if the final evo really appeals to me, but what with the other fire types they're putting out on the table now, I might have to reconsider...
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

I was going to pick Fennekin as my starter, but then I started predicting potential in Chespin and I was thinking about choosing a starter that is not the most popular one. And then came the Fire/Flying Talonflame, so Chespin it is.
    3DS Friend Code: 1349-5440-8603
    Friend Safari Details: Fighting Safari with these Pokemon: Machoke, Throh, and Breloom.

Just a random thought...if Chespin does become Grass/Dark, it might find it a bit odd. I like the idea and I sure want it to happen. But wouldn't that also imply that the professor supports darkness and evil by distributing pokemon that would end up to be a dark type, one that's known for its cunning and burglary characteristics?

On the other hand, I'm finally a member of the forums! I've been a close follower of Serebii.net for ages now and have always found myself amused with the community in the forums. I'm glad I'm part of this community now!

Ah gee...

1st gen, I enthusiastically preferred Bulbasaur, and both Fire and Water starters were enjoyable too.
    2nd gen, I had just a slight preference for Totodile, and both Fire and Grass were tolerable, if not exciting.
    3rd gen, I again enthusiastically preferred the Grass type, Treecko, but this time both Fire and Water were not just acceptable but extremely desirable.
    4th gen, I enjoyed Turtwig and Chimchar equally, and the Water starter, Piplup, was only slightly less so.
    5th gen, I preferred Oshawott (mostly for Dewott) just slightly more than Snivy, who I also enjoyed, but didn't like the Fire starter, Tepig, at all.

Seems this time around my preferences continue to trend toward the Grass and Water type starters, although Fennekin is looking to be pretty enjoyable too. At the moment, I like Chespin somewhat more than Froakie, but I also prefer my starter Pokémon to be fast, which seems more like Froakie's gift than Chespin's (on the bright side, finally a speedy Water starter!). In fact, just given the three starters' appearances so far, it looks like Chespin is going to be the slowest. I really, really hope the Chespin line manages to finish with a base speed of at least 80. In any case, the 6th gen so far appears to reprise the situations of the 3rd and 4th, where I'd feel fulfilled no matter which starter I chose. But that of course presents a dilemma: who to actually choose? I don't yet know whether Froakie's speed and final form's appearance will end up pushing it ahead of Chespin as my favorite.

Also, I sure hope Chespin's line gets a good secondary typing.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Well, in the trailer Froakie had 101 hp at lv50. But of course things like IV's and EV's are unknown (probably not many Ev's and Iv's looking at other starters). I'm gonna take a look at the dex for a second. Lv 50 on all these Pokémon.

Bulbasaur: 105-152 hp (base 45)
    Charmander: 99-146 hp (base 39)
    Squirtle: 104- 151 hp (base 44)

Chikorita: see Bulbasaur
    Cyndaquil: see Charmander
    Totodile: 110-157 hp (base 50)

Treecko: 100-147 hp (base 40)
    Torchic: see Bulbasaur
    Mudkip: see Totodile

Turtwig: 115-162 hp (base 55)
    Chimchar: see Squirtle
    Piplup: 113-160 hp (base 53)

Snivy: see Bulbasaur
    Tepig: 125-172 hp (base 65)
    Oshawott: see Turtwig

Now for the evolutions base hp stats:

Venusaur has 80 base hp, Meganium 80, Blaziken 80 and Serperior is the exception here with 75. (almost the same here with Serperior as an exception with 5 less)

Charizard has 78 base hp and Typhlosion also has 78. (completely the same as first stages)

Blastoise has 79 base hp and Infernape has 76. (minor difference of 3)

Feraligatr has 85 base hp and Swampert has 100. (Quite the difference here with 15 points)

Sceptile has 70 base hp.

Torterra has 95 base hp and Samurott also has 95. (completely the same)

Empoleon has 84 base hp. (Piplup has 3 more base hp than Totodile, but Feraligatr has 1 more base hp than Empoleon. Minor differences in my opinion.)

Emboar has base 110 hp.

So as we can see. Froakie will probably have a very low base hp compared to previous starter. If I had to make a guess, it's final hp will be similar to Sceptile's which is 70. Of course this is just a guess and with evolutions you never know as Swampert has shown.

Fennekin and Chespin were also shown at level 50 in the e3 trailer but their hp wasn't shown. Hah, I'm not a competitive player, but stats kinda intrigue me on starters . I hope this post is helpful for some people here. And I think that Chespin might be the bulky one and maybe Fennekin more balanced, but we haven't seen anything to show that of course. I'd also guess that the Froakie in the trailer had no Iv's or Ev's. If he had then Froakie will have the lowest hp of all first stage starters ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Regality View Post
    That is messed up.
    I looked it up-empoleon has 4 points on torterra. still, that makes no sense.

NoNotJames-welcome to the forums.

-My younger brother

Well, I've seen something floating around here that calculated Chespin's base HP to be around 57 if the 25 HP it had at Lv7 had no IVs or EVs added to it.

Froakie's could be...about 37 or 38? A little lower than Charmander's and Cyndaquil's? XD I think I'd like that a lot! Even cooler if the base HP of its final evolution is closer to 65. That should give it more stats to distribute on offenses and at least 115 speed. XD

~ Signature under Construction ~

| Lucian and Grimsley are mine. Touch and I will cut you. | That also applies to Houndoom. | Clock: Equal-To-Heaven |

Quote Originally Posted by *Jean Grey* View Post
    Well, I've seen something floating around here that calculated Chespin's base HP to be around 57 if the 25 HP it had at Lv7 had no IVs or EVs added to it.

Froakie's could be...about 37 or 38? A little lower than Charmander's and Cyndaquil's? XD I think I'd like that a lot! Even cooler if the base HP of its final evolution is closer to 65. That should give it more stats to distribute on offenses and at least 115 speed. XD
    57 is pretty decent for a first form isn't it?

-My younger brother

57 is pretty decent for a first form isn't it?
    Well, it'd come in second place regarding hp with the first stage starters so yeah pretty decent. I'd still like to see his hp at lv 50 thoug, then we'd be more certain like with Froakie. And even then, looking at Swampert (actually the only exception) the hp can rise quite a lot with evolution.

I believe Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, Water/Fighting evolutions are waiting for us, as I have read it from somewhere.

And actually, this makes a lot of sense. If you choose Fennekin, your rival will choose Froakie which would be a disadvantage to you at first sight. However, Fire/Psychic balances the Water/Fighting. Same for Chespin Fennekin duo, as Dark is super-effective against Psychic to avoid the weakness of grass against fire and finall for the same with Froakie Chespin duo as Fighting is super-effective against Dark.

Hope, the evolutions would come out as I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteBlair View Post
    I believe Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, Water/Fighting evolutions are waiting for us, as I have read it from somewhere.

And actually, this makes a lot of sense. If you choose Fennekin, your rival will choose Froakie which would be a disadvantage to you at first sight. However, Fire/Psychic balances the Water/Fighting. Same for Chespin Fennekin duo, as Dark is super-effective against Psychic to avoid the weakness of grass against fire and finall for the same with Froakie Chespin duo as Fighting is super-effective against Dark.

I really like the starters being balanced but please make they good in Competetive Play..Gen 5 Starters were not that good when concerning competetive play

Hey guys..i am just walking around.

I actually prefer this idea than the whole reverse triangle idea. This means that certain starters can obliterate the other due to having 2 super effective STABs. I love it!
    CASUAL REMINDER: I'm Back. Not that anyone cares.

Yeah, though of course, it was calculated assuming 0 EVs and IVs. I've seen Youtube videos with Lv7 Piplups that have 26 HP too. Chespin's base HP should then be at least 53, like Piplup's. XD As for HP growth...I think it would mirror Torterra's or Samurott's...maybe Swampert's, but probably not Emboar-level or something. XD

Here's some proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP-GWk1889Q

It seems to me that the norm now is around 50 for base HP, as compared to the crazy 39s and 40s in the earlier gens. XD Hopefully, Froakie has 37 or 38 base. XD Maybe it could go 38 > 52> 66 as it evolves? XD Fennekin may have a base HP somewhere in the middle...if Froakie's is ~38 and Chespin's is ~55, then Fennekin's could be ~45-47. XD A plausible HP stat progression for all 3 lines:

Chespin line (assuming 55 base): 55 > 70 > 95

Fennekin line (assuming 46 base): 46 > 61 > 76

Froakie line (assuming 38 base): 38 > 52 > 66
    Last edited by *Jean Grey*; 13th June 2013 at 8:47 PM.

~ Signature under Construction ~

| Lucian and Grimsley are mine. Touch and I will cut you. | That also applies to Houndoom. | Clock: Equal-To-Heaven |

I'm definatly going to choose Froakie. Come on! It's in france and you can have a french looking frog with a moustache. I hope it would be a Water/Fighting type once it's fully evolved.
    Where's my lunch?!?

Fennekin for me! That elegant, cunning look serving up some Snivy smugness.

Chespin come close though but I'm much more inclined to use Fennekin..

I hope for a grandeur evolution for Fennekin afterall this gen's theme is beauty.. Amaterasu fox like okami.
    Mega Masquerain[Bug/Water]with Prankster

[70/20/92/120/122/90]

That's it I'm demanding Freeze Dry Masquerain

And that way the rival battles wouldn't be so hard if it was Chespin VS Fennekin, for example. I really hope this idea will prove to be true.
    Varanus on the General Chat Thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    You're not a kid anymore once you join this thread. 2 minutes here and all innocence you once had is lost.
    3DS FC:
    4940 - 6535 - 5488

Friend Safari: Fighting:
    Pancham, Machoke, Tyrogue.
    PM me if you add me.

Since Fairy type is real I think it would be cool if Fennekin became part Fairy when it evolves. In a way to me it looks like it could go that route.

You can count me in the small but alarmingly vocal group disappointed at the lack of a proper reptile starter.

(Sigh) Froakie it is then.
    Hum-dee-dum... No one of significance, no sir...

also...

Page 547 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 447497537543544545546547548549550551557597647 ... LastLast