View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 565 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 465515555561562563564565566567568569575615665 ... LastLast
Results 14,101 to 14,125 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto24 View Post
    Yeah I thought that to, Howl does seem like an odd move if he was to go along the SpA route. But it may be more based on the fact he's a fox (are foxes known for howling) Then again Manetric learns Howl but he's more SpA so we'll see. I think it might just be to help it out at the beginning of the game...

I pray Froakie's really fast. The other waters have been slow, not even medium, so it's going to be nice for a change of pace
    well, many pkmn learn moves that raises stats they dont need... but not a starter... i checked them all and no one does... the only other choice i see is having the same amount of (sp) attack ... just how chimchar learn nasty plot and his offensive stats are the same... also, dont forget that starter Pokémon are the Pokémon from each game that the most work goes into, and usually take significantly more time than other Pokémon in each generation.
    Last edited by sunny phoenix; 29th June 2013 at 12:06 AM.
    3883-6008-7187

Quote Originally Posted by sunny phoenix View Post
    well, many pkmn learn moves that raises stats they dont need... but not a starter... i checked them all and no one does... the only other choice i see is having the same amount of (sp) attack ... just how chimchar learn nasty plot and his offensive stats are the same... also, dont forget that starter Pokémon are the Pokémon from each game that the most work goes into, and usually take significantly more time than other Pokémon in each generation.
    I guess Physical Fennekin would be cool. It does have a big head so I can imagine Zen headbutt hurting like hell.

Although, I know it isn't by much but Samurott has higher SpA than Atk, but it learns Swords Dance, exactly the same as Empoleon (granted you need to use a Heart Scale).
    Last edited by Ditto24; 29th June 2013 at 12:10 AM.
    CASUAL REMINDER: I'm Back. Not that anyone cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto24 View Post
    I guess Physical Fennekin would be cool. It does have a big head so I can imagine Zen headbutt hurting like hell.
    i started to like the idea of it turning physical... that will make him differ from ninetales... otherwise if he turns psychic as the rumours has it, then he will feel like another vulpix.... i could say an upgrade version since he will have stab but vulpix has drought so his position is safe, since i doubt fennekin will have access on this
    Last edited by sunny phoenix; 29th June 2013 at 12:13 AM.
    3883-6008-7187

Quote Originally Posted by Xobuttsubso View Post
    Out of the first-stage starters, Froakie looks the best to me by far. Its name is kind of awkward, though.

When I first saw them I thought Chespin looked the worst by far, but somehow I've ended up liking it more than Fennekin lately... I guess Fennekin is just so "generic fox!" that it doesn't stand out at all, and the way its face is drawn looks a little off for some reason. Its evolved forms will probably fix those problems, though.

As far as stats/evolutions... I would guess that Chespin might end up defense+speed focused (chestnut based = hard shell and spikes, so probably high defense at the very least. "Spin" seems like a speedy thing to me, too... though there are slower Pokémon with spinning moves like Rapid Spin and Gyro Ball too.) Chespin also seems more inclined toward physical attacks than the other two (chestnuts = spiky, spikes = physical... also spinning = physical.) I could see Chespin staying pure-Grass the whole time, or maybe becoming Grass/Fighting. Maybe Grass/Ground if they want to reuse Torterra's type (wouldn't be too surprising considering that we've had three Fire/Fightings in a row.)

Froakie and Fennekin seem more like special attackers. Maybe Fennekin could end up being good at both physical and special attacks (would especially make sense if it learns dark attacks like Bite and such), while Froakie would be more special-focused (especially if it turns out to be Water/Psychic.) Or the other way around (especially if Froakie becomes Water/Fighting and Fennekin becomes Fire/Psychic.) Right now based on the "bubble glasses" thing, I'd lean toward Froakie being the special attacker (and evolve into a Water/Psychic type) while Fennekin is the more balanced one.

That's my guess anyway.

Samurott isn't "slow," really. More like average/medium speed. It's actually the second-fastest among the Water-type starters so far (Blastoise and Feraligatr are tied for first), and even those two aren't that much faster. Water-type starters tend to have average speed, as opposed to the Grass and Fire ones who have a wider range of speeds and can be fast (Sceptile, Serperior, Charizard, Typhlosion, Infernape), slow (Emboar, Torterra), or average-ish (Venusaur, Meganium, Blaziken.)
    I wasn't comparing him starter-wise, I meant he was overall pretty slow. I mean, look at Hydriegon!, he has a 98 base stat speed and he's still labeled slow.
    Last edited by TehGalladez79; 29th June 2013 at 12:21 AM.
    The one That Started it All-

Competitive Battling-

Just imagine how awesome it would be to see a Gallade riding a Braviary!
    UNOVAAAA! F--K YEAH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TehGalladez79 View Post
    I wasn't comparing him starter-wise, I meant he was overall pretty slow. I mean, look at Hydriegon!, he has a 100 base stat speed and he's still labeled slow.
    His Speed stat is 98.

Samurott isn't "slow," really. More like average/medium speed. It's actually the second-fastest among the Water-type starters so far (Blastoise and Feraligatr are tied for first), and even those two aren't that much faster. Water-type starters tend to have average speed, as opposed to the Grass and Fire ones who have a wider range of speeds and can be fast (Sceptile, Serperior, Charizard, Typhlosion, Infernape), slow (Emboar, Torterra), or average-ish (Venusaur, Meganium, Blaziken.)
    Blastoise seems like it would be so slow, being a heavy turtle and all.

Froakie seems more physical based, because I can see him being more related to a Croagunk-esque evolution than some special humanoid one.
    Chespin is so unique I really can't guess his future typings, but he looks very defense related. He has a spiked helmet at least.
    Fennekin is almost definitely special-based in my eyes. I'm predicting pure Fire type.

I hope Masuda's announcement this evening has something to do with starter evolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
    I hope Masuda's announcement this evening has something to do with starter evolutions.
    I'm dying to see some concept art or shadows, kinda like what they did last year... but with final evolutions. Or at the very least some typings...
    The one That Started it All-

Competitive Battling-

Just imagine how awesome it would be to see a Gallade riding a Braviary!
    UNOVAAAA! F--K YEAH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TehGalladez79 View Post
    I wasn't comparing him starter-wise, I meant he was overall pretty slow. I mean, look at Hydriegon!, he has a 98 base stat speed and he's still labeled slow.
    Hydreigon is still quite fast, but quite a lot of pokemon (40ish iirc) have base 100 speed and so he loses out against a lot of pokemon as a result. He's just slightly slower than a speed tier that really matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny phoenix View Post
    I don't get it; why are the starters the ones that get the most work done and take more time to do than other Pokemon?

I keep looking back at the starters from every generation until now and to me it seems that they have actually been neglected and also I don't see any connection with the overall theme of their region.

It's more like the legendaries are the one's that get the most work .

Quote Originally Posted by Lucian947 View Post
    I don't get it; why are the starters the ones that get the most work done and take more time to do than other Pokemon?

I keep looking back at the starters from every generation until now and to me it seems that they have actually been neglected and also I don't see any connection with the overall theme of their region.

''In interviews with Junichi Masuda during 2009, he stated that starter Pokémon are the Pokémon from each game that the most work goes into, and usually take significantly more time than other Pokémon in each generation.''
    CASUAL REMINDER: I'm Back. Not that anyone cares.

Link to Masuda Announcement please? What time will it happen?

Because they are your first pokemon and the ones most remembered from each generation if you ask me to name a gen 4 pokemon on the spot i won't answer garchomp, the T rex pokemon or spirttomb i'll answer starly turtwig piplup or chimchar
    Fire red team
    Emerald team
    Platinum team
    HG team
    Black 2 team
    Pokemon X Team

3DS FC: 3153-4454-8518

pokedex: complete -

Quote Originally Posted by _Sylveon_ View Post
    Link to Masuda Announcement please? What time will it happen?
    I don't think they have announced the date or time of the announcement.

I think of it this way - you have three pokemon. You have to make sure that your entire target audience is attracted to and wants to play with at least one of them. I think that's a bit of a tough thing to do. Legendaries are always optional for someone to use, but everybody uses a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiddsy View Post
    I think of it this way - you have three pokemon. You have to make sure that your entire target audience is attracted to and wants to play with at least one of them. I think that's a bit of a tough thing to do. Legendaries are always optional for someone to use, but everybody uses a starter.
    I agree. Regardless of what team you end up building, you have to start your journey with one of three options. Not to mention that the starters generally exceed the mascots in terms of visibility. Take the the anime, for instance: you see the legendaries in maybe one or two movies, but the starters or their evolutions you'll be seeing every episode for several seasons.
    I'm sorry, were you expecting some kind of epic signature here?

Current works:
    A Modern Atlantis- Bioshock/Doctor Who crossover (FINALLY WRITING CHAPTER 3! Will post soon!)
    -When a perfectly mundane trip to the ocean floor causes the Doctor and his companions to discover an underwater city, they find a utopia that is anything but. (Rated PG-14 for language and violence)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiTheGengar View Post
    I agree. Regardless of what team you end up building, you have to start your journey with one of three options. Not to mention that the starters generally exceed the mascots in terms of visibility. Take the the anime, for instance: you see the legendaries in maybe one or two movies, but the starters or their evolutions you'll be seeing every episode for several seasons.
    Correct, with starters being your first Pokémon, a player normally builds their respective teams around their starters. Starter Pokémon are team staples, and it would only make sense for them to get a lot of work put into them.

How would you feel if Chespin evolves into a chestnut tree?

Quote Originally Posted by confuser987 View Post
    How would you feel if Chespin evolves into a chestnut tree?
    Like his shell and tail beginning to sprout?
    The red tip on his tail really interests me...
    I like the idea, would definitely make him unique
    And if done right would look very well

White2 Friend code: 0519-7592-3571
    X Friend code: 0216-1851-5361
    My safari: FIRE, slugma,growlith,ninetales

Quote Originally Posted by adamfitz View Post
    Not entirely sure.......But if they screw it up, that will be one disaster of a Pokemon.
    On the other hand........

Ask me stupid stuff
    Credit for the Banner goes to Sworn Metalhead

Quote Originally Posted by Yveltal96 View Post
    Not entirely sure.......But if they screw it up, that will be one disaster of a Pokemon.
    On the other hand........
    Very true
    I had the feeling that Chespin will look similar to sanslash in its second evolution

White2 Friend code: 0519-7592-3571
    X Friend code: 0216-1851-5361
    My safari: FIRE, slugma,growlith,ninetales

Quote Originally Posted by adamfitz View Post
    The red tip interests me too. I've seen it more as a thorn, not anything that will sprout.
    But I wonder what that brown spot on the back of Chespin's head is? A weak spot in the protective shell showing its head? Will something sprout from that spot in its evolutions? Maybe Chespin loses the hood later on.

My favorites team:

Personally i really hope Fennekin doesn't evolve into something similar to Ninetails

I want a fox version of this

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../Amaterasu.jpg

so chespin learns wood hammer besides the recoil i don't know much about the move but don't you need to be heavy to use it? (abamasnow, torterra etc.)
    Fire red team
    Emerald team
    Platinum team
    HG team
    Black 2 team
    Pokemon X Team

3DS FC: 3153-4454-8518

pokedex: complete -

Quote Originally Posted by mew 2000 View Post
    so chespin learns wood hammer besides the recoil i don't know much about the move but don't you need to be heavy to use it? (abamasnow, torterra etc.)
    Nahh, I just think it is a powerful grass type recoil move.

<-- Click to go to an amazing guild, Edge of Neo Destruction are always recruiting!

Friend Code.. 1220-6368-0567!

Page 565 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 465515555561562563564565566567568569575615665 ... LastLast