View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 13 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723631131013 ... LastLast

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

I think these guys gave a better first impression to me than Gen 5 but I warmed up to Gen 5 quickly enough. My personal first playthrough starters were as follows Squirtle, Totodile, Torchic, Chimchar, Snivy.
    *ALL-STAR MODE*

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu725 View Post
    I think it would be cool if either Froakie, or Fennekin would be a secondary Electric Type.

For Froakie maybe the white cotton things are clouds, and for the final evo turn black and have lightning coming out of them, and as for Fennkin, maybe it's coat becomes all sparky and stuff. I dunno XD
    As long as the fire type isn't part fighting, I'm fine with any second types

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    Really? Hmm. I think it could turn out to be a porcupine. I guess we'll just have to see.
    It's Japanese name means Hedgehog/needle/chestnut.

Yes that is a Female Dino Charge Red. It's a FanFic thing
    3DS FC: 3995-6518-0794

Right now I'm liking Fennekin, but I swear if it's another Fire Fighting type I'm choosing Froakie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    This thread proves sppf is full of geniuses :x
    My Instagram, please follow!

Hoenn Starters :3

I'm gone from SPPF to pursue academics, and I most likely won't be back. Bye!

I was a bit hesitant when I first saw the starters. The only one that I like was Froakie and I plan on it being my first starter. I like the idea of Fennekin too now though, I had just seen my first Fennec Fox at the zoo this weekend. Chespin has me confused, I know its supposed to be a hedgehog but I can't imagine its evolutions which does have me intrigued to see what they came up with.

From the secondary attacks I agree with most people that:

Chespin Line: Grass/Dark
    Fennekin Line: Fire/Psychic
    Froakie Line: Water/Fighting

I could also see this though.

Chespin: Grass/Steel - Could develop metal quills as it evolves
    Fennekin: Fire/Rock - they're a desert fox so the rock could make sense, ground could work too
    Froakie: Still Water/Fighting - I just can't see another typing for it. Looks like an old karate master or something.

I know this doesn't give them equal secondary typing but it could work. 3rd gen had Swampert 4X effective to Sceptile with its duel typing. Chespin would be 4X weak against Fennekin but have some neutral hitting STABs. I feeling like it could work.

3DS FC: 1950-8136-0088

DAWWWWWW, Fennekin and Chespin are ADORABLE!!! But I'm so gonna pick Fennekin! She's sooo cute! But ugh, Froakie is so ugly-looking.
    Pokemon Black Name: Teito
    Pokemon Black FC: 3869 6814 1896

E-Mail Address: firechick25@gmail.com (in case these forums keep getting messed up)
    Pokemon White 2 Name: Serena
    Pokemon White 2 FC: 5072 2733 1563

Pokemon Black 2 Name: Lyra
    Pokemon Black 2 FC: 4771 6442 6877

Pokemon X Name: Rochelle
    FC: 3754-7778-5065
    Friend Safari: Ice
    Friend Safari Pokemon: Bergmite, Snover, Cloyster

I have a UT Male Shiny Foongus for trade if anyone wants it! It's in my White 2 game!

Maybe it's just because of the official artwork of Froakie and Chespin, but I'm not liking them because of it. I'm almost definitely sure that'll change when the games come out, though.

Fennekin, on the other hand... I love. I just hope it's not another Fire/Fighting. From the looks of it, Chespin looks like it'll evolve into a Grass/Fighting. Froakie, maybe Water/Poison or something. As for Fennekin, I have no idea. o:

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

I want to use all three..but i need to see the whole evolution line before making my final judgement in which one to pick..

At the moment I still haven't decided which starter I'd choose. Probably the grass type (favorite type), but I just love the water type's design!! And the fire is so cute gahh this is so hard

Just my ideas so far... Although, looking through this thread, I don't think I'll be adding too much new!

Fennekin
    When I first saw it, I loved it, Fennec Foxes being one of my favourite animals. From there, I instantly jumped to it ending up as a Fire/Ground. However, there more I've looked at it, the more I'm convinced (like many) that it will become part Psychic. I can see it becoming bulky, yet elegant, perhaps something like a special-orientated tank. At the same time, I could also see it going down the Dark route, with the reputation foxes have for sneakiness and whatnot. And I don't think part Ghost can be shot down just yet (although I'm slightly uneasy with the idea of a starter becoming part Ghost, in all honesty); I can easily imagine a sort of Phantom-y Fox thing... Perhaps part fox, part Will O' the Wisp?

Chespin
    Like many, I'm glad to see a non-reptilian starter for the Grass type. And although I can see similarities between it and Oshawott (although really, to me, only in body shape?) I won't be getting hung up on that. The three routes I can see it going down most easily are Grass/Fighting, Grass/Dark and Grass/Steel. I am not a massive fan of Ferrothorn, and so would like to see a 'proper' Grass/Steel, giving this little fella metallic spikes, a blade, and perhaps a suit of armour. Grass/Dark is mostly influenced by the trailer, where he is shown to use what might be a Dark move. Perhaps his flower/conker/hat would grow downwards into some sort of Ninja-like attire, or perhaps it would remain a 'crown of thorns'? I say Grass/Fighting because I really envisage this guy being a bit of a brawler. Regardless of which (if any) of these three he goes down, I can see his moveset containing Leaf Blade (PLEASE) as well as other sword/blade based attacks.

Froakie
    I see this guy getting a bit of hate. Poor thing. He has a bit of a wise look about him, but also a slightly regal one at that. And a French (or European, at least) region containing a Frog as a starter? I wonder if he's a starter in more ways than one... I really hope with this guy that as he evolves, he doesn't become massively bulky. Seismitoad and Poliwrath (and Politoed, I guess) are quite bulky-looking, and I would like to see a slightly more svelte physique or this guy. I can see quite a few possibilities for him: Water/Ice, Water/Flying, Water/Poison, Water/Psychic and Water/Fighting... (Phew!) Water/Ice and Water/Poison more for the reason that they seem to fit together, especially for this guy, Dart Frogs come to mind, and Water and Ice are paired together frequently. Water/Flying is really only thought about due to the things around his back and neck. If it's just Frog froth, then I guess it's nothing, although if it's meant to be clouds, then I can see Flying being implemented. However, to be fair, I see it as hair, like an old man... Which leads me to Water/Psychic, the contemplative look, spectacles and potentially 'old-man' hair leads me to see a possibility of a Frog Wizard. And yet, I think a Water/Fighting is the most likely (now see it not happen). Again, this is thanks to the trailer, and although I doubt he is using close combat or whatever, the physical nature of his attack just leads me to think that he's going to be a mixed sweeper, melee attacks and beams. I'd also like the idea of a regal-prince-frog-fighter. That'd be awesome.

So...
    Yeah. I think that's more-or-less the entirity of my thoughts. I personally think Froakie has the greatest potential to be awesome, and so he probably edges it for me slightly. I probably like Fennekin the least, but only because I have a slight dislike for Fire types. I like all three, though, and plan or trading and restarting again to get all three. And of course, they could all end up being monotypes (which I have glanced over) but I like dual-types. So I'm hoping for dual-types, especially if it uses the 'reverse triangle' that so many of us have wanted for so long. Have GF listened to us?
    My thoughts with regards to a Sound type. Comments, feedback, etc, would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by confuser987 View Post
    Do french people ride goats freely in their country?

Based on the trailer I want to say Fennekin will be Fire/Psychic. Based off the moved it used in the trailer, plus its name. "Kin" like Kinesis. I could be totally wrong too. I cant wait to see how it's different from Vulpix and such.
    Regional Favorites
    .:Kanto:.
    .:Johto:.
    .:Hoenn:.
    .:Sinnoh:.
    .:Unova:.

I'm 99% certain the starter types are.

Chespin - Grass/Dark
    Fennekin - Fire/Psychic
    Froakie - Water/Fighting

I think these starters have the potential to be as good as the amazing Gen 3 Starters..

Oh i thought i was in for a major disappointment, but i was so wrong!
    I actually love these pokemon. But my favourite out of the three has to be Chespin, i can see it evolving into a really cool Grass/Fighting type, it is cooler than snivy and chickorita (it is not as cool as bulbasaur, treecko and turtwig=D). The only way they can go wrong now is by evolution.
    Fennekin is also very cool. I don't know what direction they will take this, and i'll be happy as long as its not fire/fighting. I can see the final evo with a mane, and hoping for either fire/dark or fire/physic.
    Ohh, Froakie, I do love you too. Hes cool and probably the most unpredictable of the lot. I hope he has a varied movepool. Evolution, i just hope its nothing like sesmitoad =D. As for typing, water/ice or water/physic would be sweet.
    As for my choice, i'll have to see the evolutions, overall they are better than gen 5's starters =D
    My Shiny Pokemon:

5th Gen:
    ;Emolga; ;Solosis;

6th Gen:
    Greninja ;Volcarona; (X2) Aegislash ;Lampent; Diggersby

Luvin' the t'wigs <3
    3DS fc: Paddy 2621-3316-5077 (Pm if you add me)

Grass dark would be awesome! I hope all the (if there are) second types are original and new, no Fire-Fighting, or Water-Steel

Quote Originally Posted by rocky505 View Post
    All we know is their primary types G/F/W
    gottcha.
    im gonna call it like this:

grass/rock(eventually)

fire/dark(eventually)

water/poison(eventually)
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

I cant see it being Grass/ dark. Could you explain your logic behind that?Or are you jumping to a conclusion because that wou ld close the fighting, psychic, dark triangle?
    Regional Favorites
    .:Kanto:.
    .:Johto:.
    .:Hoenn:.
    .:Sinnoh:.
    .:Unova:.

Quote Originally Posted by Vecherom View Post
    I cant see it being Grass/ dark. Could you explain your logic behind that?Or are you jumping to a conclusion because that wou ld close the fighting, psychic, dark triangle?
    In the trailer it seemed to use a dark type move against a Golurk, but of course we're just speculating xD

Fennekin is the best-looking Fire starter since Torchic, IMO. Cute and sleek at the same time. Definitely choosing it on my first playthrough. From the trailer, it looks like the evo line might end up being Fire/Psychic, which would be neat (I always thought Ninetales should have been part Psychic, so maybe Game Freak can redeem themselves somewhat). But I swear, if it ends up being Fire/Fighting... it's not going to be a pretty day.

Froakie looked a little odd to me at first, but it's already growing on me. The bubble-like shapes on its back remind me of those kind of frogs (don't remember the exact species) that lay their eggs in a foam-like substance on their backs, which is a nice concept if it turns out that's what the designers are going for. Not sure about a secondary type, but maybe Water/Poison or Water/Fighting?

Finally, I'm not sure what Chespin is supposed to be exactly (chipmunk/beaver/hedgehog?), but it's kinda cute. I like the leafy structure on its head. I could see the evo line going Grass/Dark or even Grass/Steel (it has a warrior-like look to it, I think). Also, I realized after watching the trailer that it's the first Grass starter not based on a reptile.

Overall, I get good vibes from this batch of starters, and I can't wait to use them when the games come out!

Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Shiny hunting stuff:

wow didn't expect this so soon but I will need to see thir final forms before i make my judgement of these new starters. The 1st forms look interesting but I need to know what they will evolve into before I make a decision.
    Personally I hope the surprise us on the types by doing secondary types that haven't been done as starters before or maybe ever(Fire fighting is clearly unwanted though). From the designs it is likely I can eliminate my hopes for a grass/ghost or fire/electric....
    If we are lucky maybe the fox could be part ghost in its final evolution....(hopes but unlikely)
    Lastly another interesting idea what if they had branch evolution starters!!!!! oh the possibilities but most likely Nintendo will be predictable here...
    Dragons are my friend, Ice is my foe...
    (Kyurem is an exception) dragonics rule

-Let us hope for gen 6 to turn out well!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSirPeras View Post
    At the moment I still haven't decided which starter I'd choose. Probably the grass type (favorite type), but I just love the water type's design!! And the fire is so cute gahh this is so hard
    It is hard! Before now I've almost always gone with the water type for my first run, except 4th gen because I thought Torterra looked cool. But now I just. Fennekin is so cute. And I feel really pretty neutral towards Froakie and Chespin.
    But picking fire breaks my traditions!
    Guess I gotta wait for the evos. D:

Alpha Sapphire Team

Froakie, or Fennikin actually look kinda cool, though my initial reaction was the equivalence to gen 5 haters. But for old times sake let's go Froakie! Whatever you are!
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122

Baking Soda, I got Baking Soda!

Quote Originally Posted by rocky505 View Post
    It's a hedgehog.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSweeper View Post
    Seriously?
    Oh, and Chespin is a Chipmunk/hedgehog.
    It's nothing clear. It reminded me of the moles on Avatar the Last Airbender, with those paws and those feet that scream that they're meant for digging.

GreenSweeper: Seriously what? Froakin is awesome. The typing I was referring to Chespin

Hum...
    Water/Psychic
    Gras/Fight
    Fire/Dark.

I think I love more that combo now that I read more posts.

I'd find it awesome if Fennekin could learn Power Gem, if you know what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by Ungoliath View Post
    It's nothing clear. It reminded me of the moles on Avatar the Last Airbender, with those paws and those feet that scream that they're meant for digging.

GreenSweeper: Seriously what? Froakin is awesome. The typing I was referring to Chespin

Hum...
    Water/Psychic
    Gras/Fight
    Fire/Dark.

I think I love more that combo now that I read more posts.
    It's Japanese Name stands for Hedgehog/needle/chestnut

Yes that is a Female Dino Charge Red. It's a FanFic thing
    3DS FC: 3995-6518-0794

Is it just me or do all the first forms of the water starters take some getting used to ( except tododile ). But, their final forms are always badass ( except Swampert )

Page 13 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723631131013 ... LastLast