View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 14 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824641141014 ... LastLast

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by carboncopy View Post
    Is it just me or do all the first forms of the water starters take some getting used to ( except tododile ). But, their final forms are always badass ( except Swampert )
    Swampert is awesome!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FallBird View Post
    It is hard! Before now I've almost always gone with the water type for my first run, except 4th gen because I thought Torterra looked cool. But now I just. Fennekin is so cute. And I feel really pretty neutral towards Froakie and Chespin.
    But picking fire breaks my traditions!
    Guess I gotta wait for the evos. D:
    I always take the grass or fire types, but I love the water type here O.o But the grass one looks so cool!! And the fire is so cute... Yeah, I gotta wait for the evolutions too, it's gonna take a while

Quote Originally Posted by rocky505 View Post
    I'd find it awesome if Fennekin could learn Power Gem, if you know what I mean
    It's Japanese Name stands for Hedgehog/needle/chestnut
    Ohhh. Damn then.
    I'll stick anyway with the mole stuff because I'm that stupid. But I like the idea.
    And because it reminds me to this :P

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Belmont View Post
    Swampert is awesome!!!!!!
    i dunno its weird. swapert was my best starter and first poke to become lv 100. but, dont like his design that much, maybe coz his back sprit in sapphire sucked. front was good, now that i think of it.

In the trailer they show each starter doing two moves.

Purplish Slash for Chespin = Dark Attack
    Fennekin uses what looks like Psywave = Psychic Attack
    Froakie uses what looks like a physical fighting attack = Fighting Attack

Also, with the double triangle no starter has a better advantage of the others. It just makes sense.

I thought it would be similar to Gen5 where it took a while for me to truly warm up to them but I liked these guys almost immediately. Of course I'll make my final decision once we get the evolutions but right now it's between Froakie and Chespin. Froakie has a certain intellectual almost regal feel to him. I seriously hope he grows that mustache/bowtie thing above his mouth. I'd like to see a fast and nimble attacker rather than a Seismitoad clone. I expect either pure Water or Water poison.
    Chespin because he just looks hamazing, but his type will make or break him. Chespin is a portmanteau of chestnut and pin, so he'll probably end up with various spine/razor based moves like Leaf Blade and hopefully some essential coverage moves like Drain Punch or Earthquake. It's also a non-reptile Grass starter, which is a first.
    Dont' get me wrong I like Fennekie, but it does look like something will just come and squash it to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Is it just me or do all the first forms of the water starters take some getting used to ( except tododile ). But, their final forms are always badass ( except Swampert )
    (T(
    I only had that problem with Oshawott and it turned out to be one of my favorites ever (though I never liked Samurott and I always give it an everstone when it gets to Dewott.. x3)
    Hoping I'll like Froakie just as much, eventually.
    And.. and Swampert is great. :<

Alpha Sapphire Team

Chespin: Grass/Rock or Grass/Ground (type change from Grass to dual type when it evolves evolves to mid stage)

Fennekin: Fire or Fire/Psychic(type change from Fire to dual type when it evolves to mid stage)

Froakie: Water or Water/Poison(type change from Water to dual type when it evolves to mid stage)

What do you guys think their DW abilities would be?

I could see Chespin with any of these: Poison Point, Iron Barbs(If it turns into a steel type though)
    Fennekin: Flame Body
    Froakie: Ice body(If it becomes part ice)

Yes that is a Female Dino Charge Red. It's a FanFic thing
    3DS FC: 3995-6518-0794

Hope:

Chespin: Grass/Dark
    Fennekin: Fire/Psychic
    Froakie: Water/Fighting

Think:

Chespin: Grass/Fight
    Fennekin: Fire,...maybe dark
    Froakie: Water/Psychic
    My 3DS games:

- Mario Kart 7 (2011)
    - Resident Evil: Revelations (2011)
    - Super Mario 3D Land (2011)
    - Bravely Default (2012)
    - Fifa 13 (2012)
    - Fire Emblem: Awakening (2012)
    - Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (2013)
    - Pokémon Y (2013)
    - Steel Diver: Sub Wars (2014)

I think Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic and Water/Fighting are really cool type combinations..but i don't think Froakie will be Water/Fighting..

Im not sure which one i like the most. I'm waiting for typing and evos. Leaning towards grass or fire.
    Copy this into your signature if you want to see these guys soon http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...n_with_Oak.png.

Shiny Pokemon I have found: (Both In Pokemon Fire Red) (Yes I found 2, with-in 30 mins of each other as well)

Quote Originally Posted by knyght View Post
    Purplish Slash for Chespin = Dark Attack
    Fennekin uses what looks like Psywave = Psychic Attack
    Froakie uses what looks like a physical fighting attack = Fighting Attack
    Apparently the first one is Shadow Claw, the third one is Fury Swipes and the second one might be Confusion.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

For me it doesn't happen that way. I fall in love with Water starters as soon as I see them, and Froakie is no exception. Although this time, Fennekin is probably my favorite. It has a great design and a name that is stuck in my head.

Also: Swampert NOT badass? He is one of the most badass looking Pokémon!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Belmont View Post
    I think Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic and Water/Fighting are really cool type combinations..but i don't think Froakie will be Water/Fighting..
    I think it has good chances of becoming a fighting type. It could use its jumping abilities to kick hard xD

I'm hoping Fennekin evolves into something cool. I don't like any so far, but the fox has potential.
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, lot of HA pokes, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"If you love it enough you can have another because the new Pokemon can never take the sentimental value of the original, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

Friend code-1375 7776 2368-Heather

My drilbur in the 6th gen remake of a 3rd gen game will be my future 63rd hundred. This is a great epiphany.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavo_Zx View Post
    For me it doesn't happen that way. I fall in love with Water starters as soon as I see them, and Froakie is no exception. Although this time, Fennekin is probably my favorite. It has a great design and a name that is stuck in my head.

I Agree..and that's why the Gen 3 Starters in my opinion are the best

As of right now, I really don't care which one I will pick, as I will not be using neither of the three. I'll just have to wait and see their final evolution stage.
    Formerly known as Azure_Gallade

Black 2 FC: 0562 4633 3655

Unpopular opinion time!

I .... really dislike Fennekin so far.
    As someone who loves to design characters it looks like they took a fox and stuck fire in it's ears. Something like a fox with a fire tail/floating fire orbs around it or something would be much more interesting, at least I think so. I mean, Squirtle and Klink looked like Gears and a Turtle sure, but they did have a kind of stylized look that made them look different. The colours looking too simular to a Fennec fox in real life might just be tipping me off too though.

As for Froakie I actually find it pretty cute! It is rather derpy looking but come on, that just makes it more adorable right?

And Chespin..... as you may be able to tell is my favourite so far, possibly one of my favourite Pokemon ever! I could be influenced by the fact that Oshawott was my favourite in B/W, but I love It's design, looks like a kind of Chipmunk/Bunny/Otter to me!

As far as types so, my Speculation so far is:

Fennekin:
    Fire/Ground (Because Fennec foxes live in deserts and all)
    Fire/Physic (For as everyone else has said, it uses Physic moves)
    Fire/Fighting (because they don't mind repeating themselves I think)

Chespin:
    Grass/Fighting (Mostly the red on the tail made up my mind for this I think)
    Pure Grass (I just can't think of anything else)

Froakie:
    Water/Ice (Just because of the White really)
    Water/Flying (Anyone else think those white things could develop into wings?)

Of course all this will most likely change, as everyone else said, when I see the final evolutions!

Quote Originally Posted by Tavo_Zx View Post

well i need some time to get used to them. But, i think i got used to froakie quite fast. ill take him. he is bound to evolve into something badass.

Doesn't really look like a fury swipe to me. I can see Shadow Claw and maybe Psywave/Confusion on the others though.

I could see Chespin becoming Grass/Steel. Just think of a big hedgehog with metal spikes on it's back o_0

Yes that is a Female Dino Charge Red. It's a FanFic thing
    3DS FC: 3995-6518-0794

I like all three of them to be honest, though I think I like Fennekin the best. I just really really hope they don't got he fire/fighting route with its evolitions as it has been done more than enough.
    Saying that, Chespin looks like it has the potential to become a fighting type. I'd like that. Fennekin, clearly based on a Fennec Fox, almost looks like it could be a ground type.
    Froakie is an interesting design. Parts of it look like clouds: does that signal that it'll evolve into a part flying type.
    However, after speculating all of that, I realise that is these thoughs prove true, every starter will have a double weakness. Not that that's ever stoppd me using Charizard, Swampert or Torterra though.

Also, even though a part of me does not want to be the one to bring this up, but I find that I just have to ask this; is it strange that in a region that appears to be based on France, one of the starters appears to be a Frog? Or am I just reading too much into it?
    Last edited by Sprinter1988; 8th January 2013 at 7:06 PM.
    Friend code: 5257-9947-2315. PM me so I can add you too. Safari contains Phanpy, Marowak and Palpitoad.

Current Y team (champions)

Current X team (6th gym badge won)

So far, my first playthroughs had 2 water starters (Squirtle and Totodile), 2 grass (Treecko and Snivy) and 1 fire (Chimchar).

If I start with Fennekin this time, they will be matched... but I don't think so. My problem with Fennekin is that I don't see how it will turn out as an original looking guy. If he stays in the fire design, I can't see how it can go any better than the fabled nine-tailed fox already represented by Vulpix/Ninetales. If it turns out to be a dark mystical fox, it will be like a second Zorua/Zoroark (actually, it already looks like a Zorua with a different color scheme).

Chespin. He looks like a Oshawott turned into Grass by some fan and the result looks kinda amateurish. But as Grass are usually my favorite, the evos can save him.

Froakie... damn, another frog? Seriously? We already have the Poli-family, Croagunk, those frogs from 5th gen... maybe even Bulbasaur. But I like the fact he looks like an old guy (Benjamin Franklin?) and is more on the slender side while the other frogs were more bulky.

I didn't like any of the three, but so far Froakie has the better chances. The evos can make me chose Chespin, but I think Fennekin is a lost case for me.
    Last edited by Beloberto; 8th January 2013 at 7:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chespin View Post
    Unpopular opinion time!

I .... really dislike Fennekin so far.
    As someone who loves to design characters it looks like they took a fox and stuck fire in it's ears. Something like a fox with a fire tail/floating fire orbs around it or something would be much more interesting, at least I think so. I mean, Squirtle and Klink looked like Gears and a Turtle sure, but they did have a kind of stylized look that made them look different. The colours looking too simular to a Fennec fox in real life might just be tipping me off too though.

As for Froakie I actually find it pretty cute! It is rather derpy looking but come on, that just makes it more adorable right?

And Chespin..... as you may be able to tell is my favourite so far, possibly one of my favourite Pokemon ever! I could be influenced by the fact that Oshawott was my favourite in B/W, but I love It's design, looks like a kind of Chipmunk/Bunny/Otter to me!

As far as types so, my Speculation so far is:

Fennekin:
    Fire/Ground (Because Fennec foxes live in deserts and all)
    Fire/Physic (For as everyone else has said, it uses Physic moves)
    Fire/Fighting (because they don't mind repeating themselves I think)

Chespin:
    Grass/Fighting (Mostly the red on the tail made up my mind for this I think)
    Pure Grass (I just can't think of anything else)

Froakie:
    Water/Ice (Just because of the White really)
    Water/Flying (Anyone else think those white things could develop into wings?)

Of course all this will most likely change, as everyone else said, when I see the final evolutions!
    I laughed a bit when I pictured Froakie with wings in front of its eyes xD

Actually, Water/Ice seems possible, due to the white "thing" on its back. But many people say it resembles a cloud, so it might as well end up being a Water/Flying frog flying around on a cloud, or maybe a frog with clouds on its feet. Only God Gamefreak knows.

Page 14 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824641141014 ... LastLast