View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 167 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 671171571631641651661671681691701711772172671167 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,175 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

MY HEART STOPPED... When I read the news at the main site, I instantly jumped to the conclusion of them all staying pure Grass/Fire/Water. It's fortunately just the base forms, though.
    Mine is an unchanging love, higher than the heights above, deeper than the depths beneath, free and faithful, strong as death.

William Cowper, "Lovest Thou Me?" Olney Hymns

I choose my words carefully, but they may still hurt someone accidentally...

Marley, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl

And, look you, there is nothing in this thing of learning out of books. Here, here and here (pointing to his ear, his head and his heart) is your school. If everything is right there, then take your pen and down with it; afterward ask the opinion of a man who knows his business.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Images removed for making the signature too tall.

I think all these starters look great so far. I thought, for sure, I would pick Fennekin, but now I am leaning towards Chespin. I think I've only picked a grass starter once before, so it will be different. And Chespin looks like he might be interesting. I am not sure what types the starters will be, but I doubt they would have an armored hedgehog be pure grass type (it practically begs for a second type, maybe steel?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of the Forums View Post
    Whaaaaaaaat?

Stab is 1.5 if only one type, 1.25 if two types.
    I read somewhere that it was 2x, maybe that was only for the 3rd Gen or one of the Gamecube games.

But still, If the starters remained pure, that would make my day.
    And you questioned my sanity. My Anime List

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    if Arceus is the Alpha Pokemon

wouldn't Mega Arceus be

the O-Mega Pokemon

I want all three, this is going to be the hardest generation to pick a starter for me, every other gen there was one clear favourite for me.

I'll probably play through one with whichever starter, then the second with both starters I didn't pick first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Autis-misc View Post
    Why not? We haven't ever had all pures, ever. Not having to deal with 4x weaknesses would be a great thing. Plus, STAB would be at a full 2x for each starter, and a 4x if it were a critical. Not a 1.5x STAB. I really do hope GF makes the starters pure, because that would be a great twist on the games. It would also mean you couldn't just walk through the games with an overpowered Fire/Psychic starter, and actually catch pokemon. I beat the elite 4 on sapphire with a Blaziken, a Kadabra, and a Pelipper. It wasn't fun because Blaziken would OHKO everything. If they were pure, my team would be a lot more expansive, but that's just an example.
    Fire/ psychic has 5 weaknesses, 4 of which are extremely common in movepools. Making them pure wouldn't change anything, blaziken swept through everything in gen 3's line up because almost every single gym and E4 member had something that took atleast neutral fire or fighting damage. That wasn't the starters fault that was the opponent's.

Even in Johto I could run through everything with either Typhlosion or Feraligatr.
    Hoenn was the best region copy and paste this if you agree (started by BATTLEFRONTIERASH)

I read somewhere that it was 2x, maybe that was only for the 3rd Gen or one of the Gamecube games.

I wouldn't mind them being pure...
    I mean it was only done in 2nd gen, and I think the only people who would be dissapointed,
    Are people who are expecting them to be of a mixed typing.

All credit for the picture above goes to Sworn Metalhead.
    Feel free to add me to your Friends List, Just PM me with your FC if you do so
    Also to peak your fancy, my Friend Safari Type is Fairy, and I distribute Floette, Snubbull, and Spritzee.

3DS FC: 4270 - 1187 - 9328

I think I'd want Fennekin because of how adorable it looks! The only think I don't really like about it is it has old man ear hair!! I think Chespin is kinda cute too but it only has one tooth... and Froakie looks like it has old lady hair and like it has a headache or something so probably not Froakie

The only region we get all pure type was back in Johto. But what it does if so ? I was totally happy with my Meganium, even if she wasn't a dual type Pokémon. But still, I prefer dual types.
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

Quote Originally Posted by Papousse View Post
    The only region we get all pure type was back in Johto. But what it does if so ? I was totally happy with my Meganium, even if she wasn't a dual type Pokémon. But still, I prefer dual types.
    This is basically how I feel. I loved my Meganium as well, but dual types would be really good.

As far as I'm aware STAB is, and always has been, 1.5x regardless of if the pokemon is single or dual typed.

I'm hoping that Fennekin stays pure, but I feel that Froakie and Chespin both need to get a second type as they level. The reason I feel this way is because Grass and Water starters have been monotyped as many times as Fire has gotten Fighting. My best guess as to why people aren't as upset about this is that they weren't three in a row.

I never choose my Starters based on what type(s) they're going to have, so I'm not worried about the Starters being pure Grass, Fire and Water types. I'm more concerned with how their evolved forms will look like; right now I have almost no hope for Chespin, but Froakie and Fennekin's evolved forms could potentially slay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Flygon View Post
    Fire/ psychic has 5 weaknesses, 4 of which are extremely common in movepools. Making them pure wouldn't change anything, blaziken swept through everything in gen 3's line up because almost every single gym and E4 member had something that took atleast neutral fire or fighting damage. That wasn't the starters fault that was the opponent's.

Even in Johto I could run through everything with either Typhlosion or Feraligatr.
    But, when you add up the Psychic stats, it can almost withstand most of the 4 weaknesses (maybe 3 at the most, if the opponent is a part Dark type). If Fennekin is porven to be a Sp Att./Sp Def pokemon, it could still wipe out most of the game, depending on the gyms, which still wouldn't be fun.

This could also be dealt the same with froakie and chespin. The commonly speculated Water/Fighting and Grass/Dark or even Grass/Steel would still wipe through the entire game in their final states given either typing. In any pokemon game, Most final forms are able to run through the entirety of the version without ever having to be swapped, I'm just taking note that if the starters were all pure like in Gold/Silver, it would make the game a little bit more challenging. if not, a lot more challenging. If you take away the Psychic secondary typing, there would also be 4 fairly common weaknesses to deal with.

wouldn't Mega Arceus be

the O-Mega Pokemon

If they give us pure types I'd be fine with it. Would be cooler to see some dual-typing though.

Just no Fire/Fighting and we're good!
    [IMG]http://i46.*******.com/205fssg.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Kitsune Yoko Kurama View Post
    This is basically how I feel. I loved my Meganium as well, but dual types would be really good.
    Even if a starter is a one-type Pokémon, you still can put other types attack, no matter what. My Meganium has Outrage and Ancient Power, wich are two non Grass Type moves.
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

Quote Originally Posted by silicon View Post
    As far as I'm aware STAB is, and always has been, 1.5x regardless of if the pokemon is single or dual typed.

I'm hoping that Fennekin stays pure, but I feel that Froakie and Chespin both need to get a second type as they level. The reason I feel this way is because Grass and Water starters have been monotyped as many times as Fire has gotten Fighting. My best guess as to why people aren't as upset about this is that they weren't three in a row.
    I agree monotyped water and grass is just as tired and boring as fire/fighting.
    Fennekin Forever!!!!!

White
    FC : 1120 2645 4574

[IMG] [/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Papousse View Post
    Even if a starter is a one-type Pokémon, you still can put other types attack, no matter what. My Meganium has Outrage and Ancient Power, wich are two non Grass Type moves.
    It doesn't get STAB from those and Meganium's offensive stats are pretty bad. I actually liked the Johto starters being pure type because it was just the 2nd region, this is the 6th, last gen had no new type combinations starter wise, I'd like something new and unique. If I'm going to be using a starter I want to make sure it has value post and pre-game. Why should I use Meganium when Serperior outclasses it in almost if not all terrain? See what I mean?
    Hoenn was the best region copy and paste this if you agree (started by BATTLEFRONTIERASH)

It doesn't get STAB from those and Meganium's offensive stats are pretty bad. I actually liked the Johto starters being pure type because it was just the 2nd region, this is the 6th, last gen had no new type combinations starter wise, I'd like something new and unique. If I'm going to be using a starter I want to make sure it has value post and pre-game. Why should I use Meganium when Serperior outclasses it in almost if not all terrain? See what I mean?
    Yea, but not everybody uses a Pokemon because of their stats. :/

I agree with this statement. Pokemon does not revolve around Stats. if Fennekin was given super high Att/Sp Att but had a hidden ability such as defeatist, it would be worth nothing without Skill Swap. Take Serperior, it had an Amazing Hidden Ability (Contrary) to take advantage of it's low stats & bad movepool.

wouldn't Mega Arceus be

the O-Mega Pokemon

63772_494770900573188_1141715381_n.jpgI found this today not sure if its real or not...

Then what's the point of even discussing why a pokemon should/ shouldn't be this type?

Quote Originally Posted by iiazurenovaii View Post
    63772_494770900573188_1141715381_n.jpgI found this today not sure if its real or not...
    It's not real, otherwise it would be on the main site.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Flygon
    Then what's the point of even discussing why a pokemon should/ shouldn't be this type?
    Hidden Ability, Nature, Movepool? Were going off what we know from the trailer, we don't know their stats. If we did, would that make it at all easier?

wouldn't Mega Arceus be

the O-Mega Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by iiazurenovaii View Post
    Sadly, it's not.
    I agree with this statement. Pokemon does not revolve around Stats. if Fennekin was given super high Att/Sp Att but had a hidden ability such as defeatist, it would be worth nothing without Skill Swap. Take Serperior, it had an Amazing Hidden Ability (Contrary) to take advantage of it's low stats & bad movepool.
    That's one of the reasons why I use certain Pokemon, but yea, that's pretty much what I think as well.

So, generally what's the BEST case scenario for the Starter types??

It seems alot of people would LIKE Fennekin to be Fire/Psychic but would anything else be better but believable?? Like Fire/Ghost??

And is Grass/Dark, Grass/Dark, or Grass/Steel the better type combo the best for Chespin??

What about Froakie?? Fighting, Psychic, Ice, or something else all together??
    MASTER Pkmn Team

...Maybe because you have a type preference, but don't care so much about if its strong this way or that way? I personally don't care as long as it's usable.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoP2008 View Post
    So, generally what's the BEST case scenario for the Starter types??

It seems alot of people would LIKE Fennekin to be Fire/Psychic but would anything else be better but believable?? Like Fire/Ghost??

And is Grass/Dark, Grass/Dark, or Grass/Steel the better type combo the best for Chespin??

What about Froakie?? Fighting, Psychic, Ice, or something else all together??
    I still think Chespin will be Grass/Ground and Froakie will be Water/Electric.
    Last edited by Tickle Me Cooper; 15th January 2013 at 2:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickle Me Cooper View Post
    Lol, I think you're alone on that one. Personlly, if there is another Fire/Fighting I am boycotting starters altogether in my game. I'd rather use a Bidoof seriously as my starter then entertain another Fire/Fighting type. Infact... That's exactly what I will do. If Fennekin is Fire/Fighting... no. If ANY of these next starters are part Fighting and Bidoof is catchable in game I'm starting with Chespin, dumping that moefoe in the PC the first chance I get, catching a Bidoof, and PWNing my rival's abomination with Surf. This, I swear.

...Unless Froakie is water/Electric.
    Hoenn will rise again!!

Put this in your sig if you think Hoenn deserves remakes! [started by Flare64]

I said I still enjoyed my Meganium. I'm not going to be mad if all the Starters are pure.

Page 167 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 671171571631641651661671681691701711772172671167 ... LastLast