View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 211 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221261311 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,275 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by EkwEE View Post
    I wouldn't mind ground type either. As long as he could get sweepers stats. Or Even become a bulky offensive build with a lot of support moves. But ground has been done, and dark could open up a really interesting movepool.
    Yeah, Ground has been done, but it is a good type combo nonetheless. I have a feeling Chespin will have a bulky build, so I think a more defensive type combo would be better for it, like Grass/Steel. Grass/Dark definitely isn't a good choice here, although I'd probably love the design of Chespin's evo if it was Grass/Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungoliath View Post
    LOL
    Grass/Dark is not bad...Is it? Let me make a quick review:

Weakness: Fire, Ice, Fight, Poison, Flying, Bug (x4).
    Resistances: Water, Electric, Grass, Ground, Ghost, Dark, Psychic (0)
    Precedents: Shiftry / Cacturne
    Tier: NU / NU

Offensive playing has a lot of moves on Fire and Fight, it's luck that Bug is not that popular. It has nice resistances, since Electric, Dark and Psychic are common on offensive playing and Ground is a must in every team. It needs high defenses if it needs to be balanced, though. If it can reach an 80/80 on both defenses it will be good enough. HP needs to be high as well.
    Considering that the hood could evolve into a shell of sorts, I say it will be defense oriented regardless the type it ends up being.
    The resistances to Water and Electric are good, but they existe thanks to the Grass-type, not Dark. Dark gives a Psychic-type immunity, which is good, but no worth if you consider the weaknesses it brings together. Bug Pokémon aren't popular, but Bug-type moves like X-scissors and Megahorn are quite common actually. Even if its stats are oriented to a more defensive build, it wouldn't work if the type have terrible resistances. It is like giving defensive stats to an Ice-type Pokémon, it will still be terrible defensively because it has a lot of common weaknesses. Grass/Dark may sould cool (it does, everything with Dark sounds cool), but it isn't really a good combo. By the way, I am all for a Grass/Steel evo for Chespin. :P
    Last edited by Nyarlathotep; 19th January 2013 at 3:15 AM.

And I am only assuming they're romanized. It didn't say that. They were posted next to their Japanese names. I have them on my phone. I don't know how to show you though. They sound translated already. And they were written as I spelled them next to their translated names:Yarimaron, Ferunoku, and Jyuumatsu. So I dunno.
    I am EkwEE, love me....forever more....

A handy thing to consider> Current OU Bug types: Scizor, Volcarona and Forretress.

A handy thing to consider> Current OU Bug types: Scizor, Volcarona and Forretress.
    Yeah, but a Grass/Dark Pokémon would never be in OU, so it would never face these three Pokémon. On other hand, it would face a lot of other Bug-type Pokémon on lower tiers...

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post

Yeah, but a Grass/Dark Pokémon would never be in OU, so it would never face these three Pokémon. On other hand, it would face a lot of other Bug-type Pokémon on lower tiers...
    Depends on its stats and the hidden ability. Also, every starter is considered potential for OU until it gets screwed up for a better choice. Anyway, you're right. With 530 of total...Which Pokemon can become a threat for this Pokemon? Even with the bad typing.

Yes, it is, because the weaknesses are to very common types (Fire, ICE, Bug 4x, Fighting). There are two Grass/Dark Pokémon that suffer because of their type combination. Froakie would be better with the Dark secondary type, 4 weaknesses, none of them would be 4x, 6 resistances and one immunity. So unless you guys want a lame Grass starter, you should hope for it not become a Grass/Dark Pokémon.
    Then don't use it against those types -_-

EDIT: Nevermind, I see your point. Though you have to admit 6 resistances and 1 immunity is pretty nice.

@EkwEE: Is there a link?
    Last edited by Shraeder; 19th January 2013 at 3:24 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Shraeder~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So I herd u liek Mudkipz...So do I!
    FC: 4742-5645-2960
    Friend Safari: Aipom, Audino, and DITTO!

Yeah. And if it was Grass/Steel I wouldn't mind at all. I would love that. I was hoping Turtwig would end up that way. The only thing is, if Froakie ends up fighting he would tear Chespin apart. And Chespin would suffer 4X fire to Fennekin. Which means grass gets shifted again. Either way, if he gets ground/dark/fighting/steel ill be happy. Assuming he gets status moves in his pool. Getting a powerful STAB Seed Bomb or Leaf Blade and stun spore and leech seed ill be happy.

Yeah. And if it was Grass/Steel I wouldn't mind at all. I would love that. I was hoping Turtwig would end up that way. The only thing is, if Froakie ends up fighting he would tear Chespin apart. And Chespin would suffer 4X fire to Fennekin. Which means grass gets shifted again. Either way, if he gets ground/dark/fighting/steel ill be happy. Assuming he gets status moves in his pool. Getting a powerful STAB Seed Bomb or Leaf Blade and stun spore and leech seed ill be happy.
    Am I the only one that can see Chespin getting Needle Arm/Wood Hammer?

Depends on its stats and the hidden ability. Also, every starter is considered potential for OU until it gets screwed up for a better choice. Anyway, you're right. With 530 of total...Which Pokemon can become a threat for this Pokemon? Even with the bad typing.
    Well, some starters don't end up being screwed up, like Infernape and Empoleon. And depending of a Hidden Ability to be useful is quite lame, since it takes a lot of time for DW Pokémon to be released, but yeah, better than nothing. Well, I honestly can't picture Chespin' evo being OU with a Grass/Dark typing, but who knows?

Just give me my fast sweeper Water/Fighting Froakie and I am fine with everything else they do to the other starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Shraeder View Post

EDIT: Nevermind, I see your point. Though you have to admit 6 resistances and 1 immunity is pretty nice.
    Go the tell to the other Grass/Dark types in NU, maybe they will become useful Pokémon in OU with your awesome tip. LoL

But true, 6 resistances are good, but none of them are VERY relevant (Water and Electric are, but again, they exist thanks to the Grass-type).
    If we really want resistances, they have to make Chespin's evo a Grass/Steel Pokémon.
    Last edited by Nyarlathotep; 19th January 2013 at 3:29 AM.

Am I the only one that can see Chespin getting Needle Arm/Wood Hammer?
    It's possible if the 'needles' or 'spikes' on its 'hat' spread out on its body.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Kitsune Yoko Kurama View Post
    It's possible if the 'needles' or 'spikes' on its 'hat' spread out on its body.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

@EkwEE: Is there a link?
    You'd have to search reddit man, under r/pokemon. It's there. Search Iriley777's posts he's got one...and ruruzu has the original. Search their posts and you'll find it. I'm on my phone.

It would have a hard time only when dealing with the other starters, but in the general gameplay a Grass/Steel combo is very appealing. :')

You'd have to search reddit man, under r/pokemon. It's there. Search Iriley777's posts he's got one...and ruruzu has the original. Search their posts and you'll find it. I'm on my phone.
    Found it. I hope this isn't fake though, it seems cool.

Edit: Link
    Last edited by Shraeder; 19th January 2013 at 3:36 AM.

I can see "Finchett" being our regional bird, that's for sure. I like finches though, so it's all good.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

Hmmm, those are the names I'm always seeing. I like them as well. I wouldn't mind if that became they're official names.

Man i want a decent water fighting from Froakie, the STAB combination is nearly unresisted.
    “Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
    Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,
    Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

"And through me the Ring will gain an even greater power."
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Who's the greater wizard? Gandalf or his creator?

LOL
    Grass/Dark is not bad...Is it? Let me make a quick review:

Weakness: Fire, Ice, Fight, Poison, Flying, Bug (x4).
    Resistances: Water, Electric, Grass, Ground, Ghost, Dark, Psychic (0)
    Precedents: Shiftry / Cacturne
    Tier: NU / NU

Offensive playing has a lot of moves on Fire and Fight, it's luck that Bug is not that popular. Fear Volcarona and Genesect, though. If it has at least 530 it will be better than most bugs except the two I mention. It has nice resistances, since Electric, Dark and Psychic are common on offensive playing and Ground is a must in every team. It needs high defenses if it needs to be balanced, though. If it can reach an 80/80 on both defenses it will be good enough. HP needs to be high as well.
    Considering that the hood could evolve into a shell of sorts, I say it will be defense oriented regardless the type it ends up being.

Grass/Dark is bad then. I'd consider Chespin's final form to be Grass/Rock from its hat possibly reforming into a shell.
    Analysis:
    1/2x damage taken: Electric, Normal
    2x damage taken: Bug, Steel, Ice, Fight
    Precedents: Cradily
    Tier: BL / OU

Like you said, most offensive battling revolves Fire and Fighting moves. The Grass/Rock evo may require high defense (100+) especially if it faces Gyro Ball Forretress or Mach Punch Lucario. Which leads me to CP's evo's attacks; I'd like to see this evo's Attack stat to allow it to be a Physical tank. Most Rock-types can learn Earthquake, and even though it may not be STAB, combine that with STAB Rock Side and you have the EdgeQuake combo, matching it up slightly to Toxicroak while having a better advantage on Gyrados. It would be outmatched by Ferrothorn in bulkiness, so I'd rather put it in BL.

What about Grass/Fighting? Could anyone do an analysis on how a bulkier Grass/Fighting Pokémon could be ranked tier-wise?
        Spoiler:- Just- lol:

Quote Originally Posted by GenosectArceus View Post
    Like you said, most offensive battling revolves Fire and Fighting moves. The Grass/Rock evo may require high defense (100+) especially if it faces Gyro Ball Forretress or Mach Punch Lucario. Which leads me to CP's evo's attacks; I'd like to see this evo's Attack stat to allow it to be a Physical tank. Most Rock-types can learn Earthquake, and even though it may not be STAB, combine that with STAB Rock Side and you have the EdgeQuake combo, matching it up slightly to Toxicroak while having a better advantage on Gyrados. It would be outmatched by Ferrothorn in bulkiness, so I'd rather put it in BL.
    What about Grass/Fighting? Could anyone do an analysis on how a bulkier Grass/Fighting Pokémon could be ranked tier-wise?
    I'm bored, so let's do it:

Grass/Fighting
    Weakness: Fire, Ice, Posion, Flying (x4), Psychic
    Resistances: Water, Electric, Grass, Ground, Rock, Dark
    Precedents: Breloom / Virizion
    Tier: OU / UU

The worst thing is that the STABS have no coverage. And the thing that made OU Breloom was actually Technician, not the typing itself. Not a bad typing, I must say I like it more than Grass/Dark...But then again, I want Forakie have that seat.

Quote Originally Posted by GenosectArceus View Post
    I'd like to know the same.

Grass/Fighting

The worst thing is that the STABS have no coverage. And the thing that made OU Breloom was actually Technician, not the typing itself. Not a bad typing, I must say I like it more than Grass/Dark...But then again, I want Forakie have that seat.
    Lol, I didn't know Virizion was UU.

Anyway, Flying x4 isn't that worrisome since Flying moves aren't that common. Resiting Rock is a good thing... Seems better than Grass/Dark, at least.
    Last edited by Nyarlathotep; 19th January 2013 at 4:48 AM.

It's mostly due his low physical defense which is more important than sp.def due its orientation by its typing.
    Nobody would put a fighting Pokemon as a special sweeper because there is too many good Pokemon that can kick their asses quite quickly. Alakazam alone can devours it in seconds since its speed is not outstanding.
    Instead Breloom has a better ATK stat and Technician + Choice Band makes a great selection to have one of the most devastating attacks you can find.

And yes, it's way better than Grass/Dark.
    Still rooting for Froakie here lol xD

List of Flying OU: Gliscor, Dragonite, Tornadus, Gyrados, Salamence, Thundurus, Landorus, Skarmory.
    Last edited by Ungoliath; 19th January 2013 at 4:56 AM.

hmmm maybe possibly it could work.
    no offense though dont get your hopes up cause there is very good chance it is fake. curtosy of some annoying pain in the (insert curse word here) internet troll.
    i will admit however it would be interesting if its true.
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    for those of you who are interested here is my link to my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pokedigijedi

Trade shop: pokedigijedi's bounty board
    3DS FRIEND CODE: 4382-2152-1254 friend safari type: poison pokemon ariados, kakuna, and muk. please don't take too long too add me it drives me crazy and I will delete your friend code

Grass/Fighting

well poison heal and spore may have also just slightly helped

There is just about no chance of Chespin learning spore. I do think he could become part fighting.

Fennekin who had that psychic move in the trailer would bceome the second fire psychic after Victini, i like the combo too but doubt it'll happen but that it will have a special based movepool is undoubted.

Froakie I think is gonna be pure water, I hope GF break tradition and make a water starter who actually has decent or superior speed.
    ORAS? I'm excited

Indieformer

Quote Originally Posted by pokedigijedi View Post
    hmmm maybe possibly it could work.
    no offense though dont get your hopes up cause there is very good chance it is fake. curtosy of some annoying pain in the (insert curse word here) internet troll.
    i will admit however it would be interesting if its true.
    Yeah, but it seems legit.

Edit: After some research, it seems that finches are pretty common in France.
    Last edited by Shraeder; 19th January 2013 at 5:11 AM.

Hmm so What about Fire/Psychic
    By that i mean its weakness pool etc
    Last edited by strikeZone13; 19th January 2013 at 5:16 AM.
    “Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
    Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,
    Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

"And through me the Ring will gain an even greater power."
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Who's the greater wizard? Gandalf or his creator?

Page 211 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221261311 ... LastLast