View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 359 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 259309349355356357358359360361362363369409459 ... LastLast
Results 8,951 to 8,975 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

There are people who hated 5th gen that much? I've been playing since Red and Blue when i was little, so while I do have some Nostalgia for the 1st and 2nd Gens, I loved gen 5! The only gen I really 'hated' in a sense was Gen 3. I really was not fond of too many pokemon from that gen. I mean, I liked Absol and Tropius' designs, that was it. I hated all 3 starters from that gen, but even then I never questioned their creativity. I just thought that maybe I was growing out of it or something. Then Gen 4 came along and I loved the, so I knew it was just a fluke lol.

Apparently Im also in the minority for Gen 3; it seems most people love that gen. I hated all 3 starters and most pokemon from there, but to each their own lol.

I hated the original black and white but loving white 2 at the moment. Only because the variety of pokemon is bigger. To be honest though it is probably me liking older gens more, but thats weird because I am already loving gen 6 and all 3 starters. I am getting both games to make sure I can use atleast two starters, I really want to use Chespin but don't really want to lock him in if there is another cool grass out there. I love Fennekin but what if there is a wicked fire type? Water type is my favourite and there is always ateast 3 or 4 good water pokemon in each game, so should I not go Froakie? So hard.
    Ruby: 0/8
    Sapphire: 0/8
    Emerald: 7/8
    FireRed: 8/8
    LeafGreen: 6/8
    Diamond: 0/8
    Pearl: 0/8
    Platinum: 7/8
    HeartGold: 16/16 (350/493)
    SoulSilver: 9/16
    Black:
    White:
    White 2:
    Black 2:

FC= 1121 0822 2345

I would much rather it be like this:

Chespin - Grass/Fighting 5 weaknesses
    Fennekin - Fire/Psychic 5 weaknesses
    Froakie - Water/Dark 4 weaknesses

Why would you guys want Chespin to end up as a Grass/Dark? it would have 6 weaknesses there is a reason why we haven't had a Grass/Dark pokemon since 3rd Gen for a reason. The reason many people don't even choose the grass starter or rather just a grass type pokemon is because they get screwed over and they don't have any good moves aside from a couple of moves like Energy Ball, Leaf Blade and Leaf Storm. A Grass/Fighting pokemon would be able to take out more pokemon thanks to the fighting moves against Dark, Ice, Normal and Steel types. In addition to Grass moves against Water, Ground and Rock. This would give Chespin in total 7 advantages. If Chespin ends up as a Grass/Dark it would only have 5 measly advantages while it has 6 weaknesses does that seem like a pokemon you would want in comparison?

Fennekin would also have 7 advantages while having 5 weaknesses. Fire against Grass, Bug, Ice and Steel. While Psychic against Poison, Fighting and Ghost.

Froakie would have 5 advantages and 4 weaknesses. Water against Fire, Ground and Rock. While Dark against Psychic and Ghost.
    Last edited by AzureNova; 6th March 2013 at 6:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AzureNova View Post

Why would you guys want Chespin to end up as a Grass/Dark? it would have 6 weaknesses there is a reason why we haven't had a Grass/Dark pokemon since 3rd Gen for a reason. The reason many people don't even choose the grass starter or rather just a grass type pokemon is because they get screwed over and they don't have any good moves aside from a couple of moves like Energy Ball, Leaf Blade and Leaf Storm. A Grass/Fighting pokemon would be able to take out more pokemon thanks to the fighting moves against Dark, Ice, Normal and Steel types. In addition to Grass moves against Water, Ground and Rock. This would give Chespin in total 7 advantages. If Chespin ends up as a Grass/Dark it would only have 5 measly advantages while it has 6 weaknesses does that seem like a pokemon you would want in comparison?
    Why do you see him as fighting?
    Makes no sense to me dark makes much more sense and who cares?
    And why is froakie dark?
    He seems more like a fighting type

CPuld you just think of the move set. Swords dance, Leaf blade, close combat, sub/leech seed /nightslah/ aerial ace! I reckon Chespin is kind of a warrior looking pokemon anyways. I can imagine it jplding a sword the way it's holding it's arm out.
    Ruby: 0/8
    Sapphire: 0/8
    Emerald: 7/8
    FireRed: 8/8
    LeafGreen: 6/8
    Diamond: 0/8
    Pearl: 0/8
    Platinum: 7/8
    HeartGold: 16/16 (350/493)
    SoulSilver: 9/16
    Black:
    White:
    White 2:
    Black 2:

FC= 1121 0822 2345

I love all Generations and their starters. I don't see why there is hate for gen 3 and 5...
    On topic i would like to say chespin should be a grass/fighting ninja...

I have claimed the Pigs!

Anime Style Battling Squad Summary

I absolutely loved the 5th gen starters, especially Serperior's utility, Samurott's mixed capabilities and Emboar's hard hitting attack. I disliked Gen 2 starters because of Cyndaquil being a statistacal ripoff of Charmander and the arguably unusability of Chikorita. I liked Todadile however because of his design, then again I like all Pokemon's designs.

On topic, I would like to see more Water/Dark Pokemon but personally I can't see Froakie fitting in that criteria.

Indeed golduck#1

Yveltal96 Froakie looks more like a scholar those things where its nose would be look like glasses. It gives off to me a frog/toad sage vibe so it would take either the Dark/Psychic route but Dark for the sake of Fennekin having Psychic. Also we already have 3 frogs/toads with fighting such as Poliwrath and Croagunk his evolved form Toxicroak.

Fennekin would also have 7 advantages while having 5 weaknesses. Fire against Grass, Bug, Ice and Steel. While Psychic against Poison, Fighting and Ghost.

Froakie would have 5 advantages and 4 weaknesses. Water against Fire, Ground and Rock. While Dark against Psychic and Ghost.
    you do realize that if its dark/grass it would gain 6 resistances and 1 immunity,and grass/fighting would also gain 6 resistances. I hate people that complain about the typing (which are just speculation at this point) if you cant use a pokemon because of its typing then you are a bad pokemon trainer, i said it. boom. Stats and movepool also have alot to do with how good a pokemon is not just typing.
    Last edited by adl222; 6th March 2013 at 6:35 PM.
    team_magma93

Quote Originally Posted by adl222 View Post
    you do realize that if its dark/grass it would gain 6 resistances and 1 immunity,and grass/fighting would also gain 6 resistances. I hate people that complain about the typing (which are just speculation at this point) if you cant use a pokemon because of its typing then you are a bad pokemon trainer, i said it. boom.
    Well sorry for trying to help out the Grass pokemon considering they are always overshadowed by Fire and Water types. I am well aware of stats and movepools considering pokemon like Meganium having great defenses while having moves like Leech Seed, Toxic, Protect and Energy Ball to help it out. Chespin looks more like a warrior as golduck#1 said.
    Last edited by AzureNova; 6th March 2013 at 6:50 PM.

I think about chespin as sneasel, good attack and great speed but no defences.

FEAR US.

Spoiler:- Credits and other stuff.:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cuddles View Post
    I think about chespin as sneasel, good attack and great speed but no defences.
    So like it would be the 2nd coming of Sceptile then.

I think he might have decent defenses
    But I do see him being fast and strong physically

yeah, I can see Chespin being the physical version of Sceptile.

Quote Originally Posted by your boss View Post
    the arguable unusability of Chikorita.
    I don't think it's even arguable, it's kinda hard to use Chiko when the first two Gyms are killing it (they resist Grass move AND inflict SE damage to Grass), it has almost nothing other than Grass and Normal moves, and most of its moves are support-based, while all the other starters are offense-based. Also, in future Gens, the only time you can give it better coverage moves tends to be post-game.

Yes, I know Snivy's base stats is similar to Chiko, but at least Snivy has its amazing Speed, access to Coil (one of the best stat-up move in the game), and the first two Gyms didn't kill it (well in B2/W2, only the first Gym). And it can get Aerial Ace via TM, as well as Aqua Tail (in B2/W2), before you even reached the seventh Gym. Which means during the storyline it has slightly better coverage compared to Chikorita.

It's kinda sad, because I actually like the very feminine design of the Chikorita line.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    yeah, I can see Chespin being the physical version of Sceptile.

I don't think it's even arguable, it's kinda hard to use Chiko when the first two Gyms are killing it (they resist Grass move AND inflict SE damage to Grass), it has almost nothing other than Grass and Normal moves, and most of its moves are support-based, while all the other starters are offense-based. Also, in future Gens, the only time you can give it better coverage moves tends to be post-game.

Yes, I know Snivy's base stats is similar to Chiko, but at least Snivy has its amazing Speed, access to Coil (one of the best stat-up move in the game), and the first two Gyms didn't murder it (well in B2/W2, only the first Gym). And it can get Aerial Ace via TM, as well as Aqua Tail (in B2/W2), before you even reached the seventh Gym. Which means during the storyline it has slightly better coverage compared to Chikorita.

It's kinda sad, because I actually like the very feminine design of the Chikorita line.
    It should also be noted that it's nigh unusable against Silver as it's weak to five of his Pokemon, Kadabra/Alakazam being the exception, I hope none of the starters ever go down Chikorita's pathetic ever this generation.

Chikorita is actually my fav 2nd gen starter, but only because i don't like the designs of the other 2, But I agree that is it pretty weak compared to the other 2.

FEAR US.

Spoiler:- Credits and other stuff.:

It should also be noted that it's nigh unusable against Silver as it's weak to five of his Pokemon, Kadabra/Alakazam being the exception, I hope none of the starters ever go down Chikorita's pathetic ever this generation.
    Not just him or the first gyms either. Poor Chikorita is resisted by the fourth, sixth and eighth gyms on top of the first two, is only effective against the 7th due to all three Pokemon being weak to grass (and even then they have ice typing) and has to deal with Team Rocket and their legion of poison types. Honestly, GF must have been feeling sadistic when they were designing that game.

It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

Quote Originally Posted by Taodragon View Post
    Not just him or the first gyms either. Poor Chikorita is resisted by the fourth, sixth and eighth gyms, is only effective against the 7th due to all three Pokemon being weak to grass (and even then they have ice typing) and has to deal with Team Rocket and their legion of poison types. Honestly, GF must have been feeling sadistic when they were designing that game.
    like someone already said it has little offensive capabilities. Its movepool is very limited and its made to be nothing more than a wall. Which is ridiculous because it has the same stats as Venusuar except for def and sp.def being switched but lacks poison typing or any dual type to be as effective as venusaur
    team_magma93

I absolutely loved the 5th gen starters, especially Serperior's utility, Samurott's mixed capabilities and Emboar's hard hitting attack. I disliked Gen 2 starters because of Cyndaquil being a statistacal ripoff of Charmander and the arguably unusability of Chikorita. I liked Todadile however because of his design, then again I like all Pokemon's designs.

On topic, I would like to see more Water/Dark Pokemon but personally I can't see Froakie fitting in that criteria.
    Huh, I found the Gen 5 starters to be quite lacking statistically.
    Serperior is only good in BW2 thanks to the move tutors and even then I had to trade it to BW to learn Calm Mind. Otherwise it's movepool really sucks, and doesn't redeem itself elsewhere except with its speed. Samurott has decent stats and movepool but that's it. Decent. It doesn't have enough of anything to do anything. Not enough speed to sweep, not enough bulk to tank and no setup moves besides Swords Dance. Emboar has a bit of a mismatched typing and stats. Fire/Fighting screams fast offensive sweeper, and it has the right movepool to become another Infernape or Blaziken but Flame Charge isn't enough to redeem that speed. When it comes to the fire fighters it's as if the speed is directly proportional to viability.

Anyway, in the end the way I measure how good a starter is is how often I think 'I want to use that instead' as I go through the region. For example I'd pick Darmanitan, Chandelure, Magmortar and Arcanine over Emboar while going through White 2, which is at least 2 too many.

like someone already said it has little offensive capabilities. Its movepool is very limited and its made to be nothing more than a wall. Which is ridiculous because it has the same stats as Venusuar except for def and sp.def being switched but lacks poison typing or any dual type to be as effective as venusaur
    Don't forget Bulbasaur was advantageous against the first 2 gyms. A starter is limited by or benefits from the region it's in. I'm sure Chikorita would be a bit better in Gen 1 than Gen 2 and vice versa for Bulbasaur.
    Last edited by Aurath8; 6th March 2013 at 8:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

I hope none of the starters ever go down Chikorita's pathetic ever this generation.
    Yeah, hopefully Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie won't suffer from the same bad fate, especially since this is the second Gen after the "reboot" on 5th Gen.....

Especially Chespin. One Grass starter and one Fire/Water starter suffering the same bad fate is still okay, compared to TWO Grass starters suffering the same bad fate.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

Well I chose chickorita and yes it was thought at first but I loved it solo much, my favorite starter to date
    I love the design and is good with the right strategy, As for gyms after that you should definitely have more Pokemon by then. I liked the challenge anyway....

For those saying Chespin will be fast.
    I can see it yes and would like it but he is based of a hedgehog and I can see him more becoming a bulky slow defender tank

I could see Chespin been fast is he was fighting
    How about Chespin grass fighting, fennekin fire dark and froakie water psychic....
    Just switching it up abit....

________

As for froakies bubbles, Chespin hat and fennekins ear fluff,
    How do you think the designs will go?
    These are their primary/main features
    I don't want game freak to go overboard with them
    Like covering froakie in foam all over.....

White2 Friend code: 0519-7592-3571
    X Friend code: 0216-1851-5361
    My safari: FIRE, slugma,growlith,ninetales

Choosing Chikorita in HG or SS wasn't a challenge, either a disadvantage. I actually lived that sensation because Chikorita was my starter in this game and I was very happy of my choice.Chikorita was, I agree, not the best Pokémon against Falkner and Bugsy. But that's just the type that we count here.

Falkner, the first Gym Leader, had a Pidgey with... Tackle and Sand-attack. Surprise ! Chikorita can handle it ! Next, he had Pidgeotto, wich is much more challenging than a little Pidgey. This Pokémon had Gust, Roost and Tackle. Now Chikorita is a little bit in danger, but it's still possible. With hard training or potions, it's possible. Don't forget that you can have a Togepi to help you out, or other Pokémon such as Hoothoot, Pidgey, Bellsprout and even an Onix if you trade it for a Bellsprout in Violet City. Same goes for Bugsy.
    Chikorita has the disadvantage type, yes, but it's not her, the problem, it's the team that you decide to use against the gyms. So don't tell me that Chikorita was crap just because miss wasn't the type advantage.
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

Only just realised I can have a full team of starters of one particular type.

Also I've been looking up frogs and come across the poison dart frog, which is bright blue. Any chance froakie may become water/poison.
    Further research/Wikipedia indicates the poison dart frog is one of the few frog species that currys its eggs on its back in a group of white bubbles.
    Last edited by WNDR; 6th March 2013 at 8:58 PM.
    White FC: 0046-3335-5684

Quote Originally Posted by Papousse View Post
    Choosing Chikorita in HG or SS wasn't a challenge, either a disadvantage. I actually lived that sensation because Chikorita was my starter in this game and I was very happy of my choice.Chikorita was, I agree, not the best Pokémon against Falkner and Bugsy. But that's just the type that we count here.

Falkner, the first Gym Leader, had a Pidgey with... Tackle and Sand-attack. Surprise ! Chikorita can handle it ! Next, he had Pidgeotto, wich is much more challenging than a little Pidgey. This Pokémon had Gust, Roost and Tackle. Now Chikorita is a little bit in danger, but it's still possible. With hard training or potions, it's possible. Don't forget that you can have a Togepi to help you out, or other Pokémon such as Hoothoot, Pidgey, Bellsprout and even an Onix if you trade it for a Bellsprout in Violet City. Same goes for Bugsy.
    Chikorita has the disadvantage type, yes, but it's not her, the problem, it's the team that you decide to use against the gyms. So don't tell me that Chikorita was crap just because miss wasn't the type advantage.
    Haha, now that's a way of defending your Starter Pokemon. I loved using my Chikorita as well in the Johto games.

Quote Originally Posted by Taodragon View Post
    Not just him or the first gyms either. Poor Chikorita is resisted by the fourth, sixth and eighth gyms on top of the first two, is only effective against the 7th due to all three Pokemon being weak to grass (and even then they have ice typing) and has to deal with Team Rocket and their legion of poison types. Honestly, GF must have been feeling sadistic when they were designing that game.
    And the only gym chikorita is useful in is Brock and mistys gym in SS

Page 359 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 259309349355356357358359360361362363369409459 ... LastLast