View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 360 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 260310350356357358359360361362363364370410460 ... LastLast
Results 8,976 to 9,000 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AzureNova View Post
    I would much rather it be like this:

Chespin - Grass/Fighting 5 weaknesses
    Fennekin - Fire/Psychic 5 weaknesses
    Froakie - Water/Dark 4 weaknesses

Why would you guys want Chespin to end up as a Grass/Dark? it would have 6 weaknesses there is a reason why we haven't had a Grass/Dark pokemon since 3rd Gen for a reason. The reason many people don't even choose the grass starter or rather just a grass type pokemon is because they get screwed over and they don't have any good moves aside from a couple of moves like Energy Ball, Leaf Blade and Leaf Storm. A Grass/Fighting pokemon would be able to take out more pokemon thanks to the fighting moves against Dark, Ice, Normal and Steel types. In addition to Grass moves against Water, Ground and Rock. This would give Chespin in total 7 advantages. If Chespin ends up as a Grass/Dark it would only have 5 measly advantages while it has 6 weaknesses does that seem like a pokemon you would want in comparison?

Fennekin would also have 7 advantages while having 5 weaknesses. Fire against Grass, Bug, Ice and Steel. While Psychic against Poison, Fighting and Ghost.

Froakie would have 5 advantages and 4 weaknesses. Water against Fire, Ground and Rock. While Dark against Psychic and Ghost.

Hold on. If we have the types being like what are at the top of the quote, then Cespin will be doubly weak to fennekin, Fennekin doubly weak to froakie and Froakie doubly weak to chespin. That unbalances the starter triangle. which i why it makes most sense if the pokemon types become this:

Chespin: Grass/Dark
    Fennekin: Fire/Psychic
    Froakie: Water/Fighting

So that way, each will be strong but also weak to the other Pokemon.

How would doubling the weakness each of the starters has unbalance the starter triangle? Everything stays the same only that you can choose which STAB move to hit the weaker one with.

About that Chikorita discussion...

She may not be the best pokémon against Falkner and Bugsy, but it's not like pokémon is a hard game. Bayleef can handle Falkner easily, and even if you see him as a challenge, you can catch a Mareep or another pokémon of your choice. n_n

I love her design and I think she's a great starter. I don't pick a starter thinking about the gym leaders, I pick the one that I like the most. :3
    White 2:

Example:

Chespin: Grass fighting. Fire beats grass/Psychic beats Fighting
    Fennekin: Fire/Psychic. water beats Fire. Dark beats psychic.
    Froakie: Water/dark. Grass beast water. Fighting beats dark.

If they were like this:

Chespin: grass/dark/ Grass beats water, but fighting beats dark.
    Fennekin: Fire/Psychic. fire beats grass but dark beats Pschyc
    Froakie: Water/Fighting. Water beats ire, but Psychic beats fighting

If this is confusing, sorry. But it's ho I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninfia-Fan View Post
    Example:

If they were like this:

it still forms the same triangles as grass > water >fire > grass.
    the second set you posted gives the opposing type a chance to defeat the other.
    team_magma93

Quote Originally Posted by Ninfia-Fan View Post
    Example:

If they were like this:

If this is confusing, sorry. But it's ho I understand it.
    So it could go anyway.. We just don't know
    Sure whoever said it'll be psychic fighting and dark
    Only one may even get a dual type
    Anything could happen
    Starters arnt allways 100% equal in their last stages
    Since your meant to have a good diverse team at that point

White2 Friend code: 0519-7592-3571
    X Friend code: 0216-1851-5361
    My safari: FIRE, slugma,growlith,ninetales

I would also prefer the Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Dark triangle over the reverse triangle everyone has been suggesting. I personally take great satisfaction in beating my rival's starter with my starter, despite the obvious disadvantage. A double disadvantage would just make it all the more sweeter, especially if Chespin gets Night Slash or Shadow Claw, Froakie gets a flying type move like Aerial Ace or Acrobatics, and Fennekin gets a bug or fighting move like Signal Beam or Focus Blast. That way we'd still be able to counter our rival's starter even with a dual weakness.

I'm also hoping Chespin will become the first real abuser of the Big Root item with moves like Drain Punch, Horn Leach, and Leach Seed. A physical subseeder with only draining attacks would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Icon Zeph View Post
    I would also prefer the Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Dark triangle over the reverse triangle everyone has been suggesting. I personally take great satisfaction in beating my rival's starter with my starter, despite the obvious disadvantage. A double disadvantage would just make it all the more sweeter, especially if Chespin gets Night Slash or Shadow Claw, Froakie gets a flying type move like Aerial Ace or Acrobatics, and Fennekin gets a bug or fighting move like Signal Beam or Focus Blast. That way we'd still be able to counter our rival's starter even with a dual weakness.

I'm also hoping Chespin will become the first real abuser of the Big Root item with moves like Drain Punch, Horn Leach, and Leach Seed. A physical subseeder with only draining attacks would be awesome.
    Only Draining Moves? That'd suck. It should have a mixture of boosts, purely powerful attacks and then draining.

Anyway, I'm hoping fo any bloody triangle, as long as Fenn's a Psychic type.

Quote Originally Posted by Pochie ~ View Post
    About that Chikorita discussion...

She may not be the best pokémon against Falkner and Bugsy, but it's not like pokémon is a hard game. Bayleef can handle Falkner easily, and even if you see him as a challenge, you can catch a Mareep or another pokémon of your choice. n_n

I love her design and I think she's a great starter. I don't pick a starter thinking about the gym leaders, I pick the one that I like the most. :3
    I don't think you can catch any Mareep before Falkner.

There will always be a starter that will be at a disadvantage against the first few gyms.
    Charmander vs Brock and Misty sucks
    Chikorita vs Falkner, Bugsy
    Torchic vs Roxane
    Chimchar vs Roark
    you are safe 5th gen.
    team_magma93

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cuddles View Post
    I think about chespin as sneasel, good attack and great speed but no defences.
    Considering that Chespin is partly based on a Chestnut, I would imagine it has decent defense, if not fantastic defense.
    Reserved

Quote Originally Posted by stevencloser View Post
    I don't think you can catch any Mareep before Falkner.
    You can access a small amount of grass before the bulk of route 32 which is blocked till gym is beat in violet city, it is possible.

I wonder if after chespin evolves if it'll change like a chesnut would do starting out green and spike but then ending up hard smooth and brown
    White FC: 0046-3335-5684

Just catch a Geodude in the dark cave and rock throw the whole gym lol
    team_magma93

Quote Originally Posted by adl222 View Post
    Just catch a Geodude in the dark cave and rock throw the whole gym lol
    That's what I did! But I used Cyndiquil...
    *Insert Some Cool Image Here*

I don't think that Chespin would have "Bad defenses" if he'll be Grass/Fighting. As stated by NotChip, his design wouldn't allow it too, i guess.

Froakie as Water/Dark would be awesome, too, but i don't like him, just like Fennekin. But if they have good type combinations, oh yes, i would love'em! But now? No!

i don't see him being grass/fighting
    i see him being grass/dark
    and with stats similar to zoroarks except distributing that special attack into his defenses and HP a little more

Ask me stupid stuff
    Credit for the Banner goes to Sworn Metalhead

Chikorita is actually my fav 2nd gen starter, but only because i don't like the designs of the other 2, But I agree that is it pretty weak compared to the other 2.
    This! Chikorita is a boss. If you don't like it because of the first two gyms then you aren't really a good trainer. Why would people use it against those two anyways?

I like the idea of Froakie being poison and it makes sense with what some said before about a frog being light blue but carrying eggs on it's back in a white cloud looking thing but is also poison. I love it.
    Ruby: 0/8
    Sapphire: 0/8
    Emerald: 7/8
    FireRed: 8/8
    LeafGreen: 6/8
    Diamond: 0/8
    Pearl: 0/8
    Platinum: 7/8
    HeartGold: 16/16 (350/493)
    SoulSilver: 9/16
    Black:
    White:
    White 2:
    Black 2:

FC= 1121 0822 2345

Quote Originally Posted by golduck#1 View Post
    This! Chikorita is a boss. If you don't like it because of the first two gyms then you aren't really a good trainer. Why would people use it against those two anyways?

I like the idea of Froakie being poison and it makes sense with what some said before about a frog being light blue but carrying eggs on it's back in a white cloud looking thing but is also poison. I love it.
    poison would be cool
    but the way i look at it is you know how seismitoad has poison touch and no poison type?
    yeah i feel like maybe froakie won't have the poison type but the DW ability poison touch
    or even dry skin like toxicroak

Ask me stupid stuff

It's more then those two but lets get to the point: No one is saying they don't like it, they're just saying that it has the hardest time in its base game then any other starter which is the truth since most important trainers (the gym leaders, TR and the rival) have an advantage over it and its stats aren't too helpful in its situation. If you like it, that's good since no one's preventing you from using it, but that doesn't make anyone a "bad trainer" to point out that it does have major flaws in GSC.

Personally I think poison wouldn't suit it very much, something about it doesn't fit the typing for me.

It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

Quote Originally Posted by Icon Zeph View Post
    I would actually love this. ESPECIALLY if a rock-type equivalent to Horn Leech was made!!
    MASTER Pkmn Team

Chikorita is actually my fav 2nd gen starter, but only because i don't like the designs of the other 2, But I agree that is it pretty weak compared to the other 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taodragon View Post
    It's more then those two but lets get to the point: No one is saying they don't like it, they're just saying that it has the hardest time in its base game then any other starter which is the truth since most important trainers (the gym leaders, TR and the rival) have an advantage over it and its stats aren't too helpful in its situation. If you like it, that's good since no one's preventing you from using it, but that doesn't make anyone a "bad trainer" to point out that it does have major flaws in GSC.

Personally I think poison wouldn't suit it very much, something about it doesn't fit the typing for me.
    But that's the thing, there is no worst starter or worst Pokemon (although you do have to be fair on what you are comparing). It may have a hard time against few of the gym leaders but Charmander has pretty much the same disadvantage in red/blue but just has a bigger varitey of offensive moves. I am also not saying anyone is a bad trainer for saying it will have a hard time but people are bashing Chikorita and called in unusable, which is so far from the truth.
    Black:
    White:
    White 2:
    Black 2:

FC= 1121 0822 2345

overall imo all the starters are decent its just that the region greatly affects them. I would personally be fine with either a gen 2 or gen 4 situation where either the starters could stay pure or they could get a 'reverse triangle'. I think so bcoz this is maybe an expansion gen like 2 and 4.
    2,4,6?
    Quote Originally Posted by DX 2401PT View Post
    Groudon: "Hey, hey, hey, hey, HEY! Stop tearing apart the land that I JUST created! What's wrong with you?!"
    Regigigas: "I'LL DO WHAT I WANT!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yveltal96 View Post
    poison would be cool
    but the way i look at it is you know how seismitoad has poison touch and no poison type?
    yeah i feel like maybe froakie won't have the poison type but the DW ability poison touch
    or even dry skin like toxicroak
    Yeah I would be cool if it got poison touch as an ability, making him a fighting type though then.
    Black:
    White:
    White 2:
    Black 2:

FC= 1121 0822 2345

Yeah I would be cool if it got poison touch as an ability, making him a fighting type though then.
    well like i said i would like him to be fighting type
    it would make this gens mystery dungeon pretty cool
    seismitoad, toxicroak, and froakies evo all in a rescue team

Ask me stupid stuff

Personally i think Chespin should be more like Spectile ( A Phsyical Attacker) then any other grass starter

Page 360 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 260310350356357358359360361362363364370410460 ... LastLast