View Poll Results: Which starter would you use?

Voters
3150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chespin

845 26.83%
  • Fennekin

1,329 42.19%
  • Froakie

849 26.95%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

127 4.03%
Page 402 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 302352392398399400401402403404405406412452502 ... LastLast
Results 10,026 to 10,050 of 29437

Thread: Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

I think Fennekin is going to end up being pretty and elegant for the most part. I just can't see it evolving into something big and scary. I think it's going to sort of look like the the wolf from Okami, or at least have that style associated with it.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus side down side View Post
    I think Fennekin is going to end up being pretty and elegant for the most part. I just can't see it evolving into something big and scary. I think it's going to sort of look like the the wolf from Okami, or at least have that style associated with it.
    I would love this so much

If it looked wolfish, it'd be cool.
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, lot of HA pokes, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"If you love it enough you can have another because the new Pokemon can never take the sentimental value of the original, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

Friend code-1375 7776 2368-Heather

A traditional Japanese styling on Fennekin's evolutions? I'd pass judgement until I've seen it but I don't think it's a particularly great idea... not only would it not really fit in with the French and therefore, western style of the region from what we've seen so far, Fennekin and Ameterasu are just very different... physically. One is a fox and one is a wolf, for one thing. Or it might look awesome. Who knows. But I personally think Okami should be left as it is.

The culture thing didn't stop Charizard, Articuno, Zapdos, and many others from being in the J regions

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    A traditional Japanese styling on Fennekin's evolutions? I'd pass judgement until I've seen it but I don't think it's a particularly great idea... not only would it not really fit in with the French and therefore, western style of the region from what we've seen so far, Fennekin and Ameterasu are just very different... physically. One is a fox and one is a wolf, for one thing. Or it might look awesome. Who knows. But I personally think Okami should be left as it is.
    And New York is full of samurais and Chinese demon-pigs.

Oshawott evolved into a Samurai, even though Unova was based off of New York, and Emboar is based off of a Chinese folktale.

We're putting too much weigh in the regional influence to be honest. Yeah, the region is going to be geographically modeled after france, but that is hardly going to affect the Pokemon of the region, because it never has.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

About the bold part: That doesn't mean much. Unova was based on New York, yet we had starters based on European royalty, a Chinese fictional fighter and a Japanese samurai. I don't think that Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie have to be necessarily based on French/European concepts. Edit: Oh great, I was ninja'd. Seems like a need to put more EVs in my speed.

These are my favorite ideas for Fennekin's final, if it actually looks close to any of these I'll be madly excited

http://leviathyn.com/wp-content/uplo...-evolution.jpg

http://hyrulecentral.net/wp-content/...ny-d5r0wjt.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sneasel Lover View Post
    Both of you are talking crazy.
    Not really.

I tend to say that I can call anything cute regardless of looks like Hydreigon. It may be a brutal three headed dragon who wrecks everything but in my eyes i find the cuteness within their heads especially the middle one looking like a flower full of cute and monstrosity. I just hope Fennekin is still a graceful fox upon evolution, those eyes already captured me.

Quote Originally Posted by Elnava View Post
    These are my favorite ideas for Fennekin's final, if it actually looks close to any of these I'll be madly excited

First one I gave an opinion in the past, I'm not fond of it and the second one, well based on the names I rather not see a mythical fox again.
    Last edited by Dragalge; 25th March 2013 at 9:00 PM.

Chespin all the way

I personally don't like the first one. I've seen it and it's well done but the idea of my cute little Fennekin having ear-hair tangling under it's chin like a beard just creeps me out a bit. The second one is really nice though! I haven't seen any Fakemon like that before and it's pretty nice
    FC: 3397 1451 6348 ...Shuckle-uckle!!

The second one looks horrendous. It looks to... uh, tough? And I really hope Fennekin doesn't have multiple tails in its final form. Anyway, I don't have a favorite fake final evolution of Fennekin, but this middle stage looks gorgeous:

Quote Originally Posted by Sneasel Lover View Post
    And New York is full of samurais and Chinese demon-pigs.
    Oshawott evolved into a Samurai, even though Unova was based off of New York, and Emboar is based off of a Chinese folktale.

We're putting too much weigh in the regional influence to be honest. Yeah, the region is going to be geographically modeled after france, but that is hardly going to affect the Pokemon of the region, because it never has.
    Samurott and Emboar were slightly different in the fact that the background behind their designs was a little bit more subtle and not immediately obvious to the casual observer. Yes, they did not necessarily fit in with the American theme of Unova, but at least they only looked vaguely out of place.

On the other hand, traditional Japanese art such as works by Hokusai and Hiroshige are incredibly distinctive, as is the style of Okami. It is very difficult to simply inject a passing reference to that art style in a Pokemon design, as ukiyo-e and sumi-e have very distinctive and characteristic aspects which give them their instantly recognisable and distinct look. A Pokemon modelled after that art style therefore would stick out much more than the starters of Gen V because of the difficulty of simply being able to lift a fsmall number of aspects of Japanese art. I hope I'm being clear in saying that having a Pokemon line modelled after such a style in itself would be very, very unusual anyway.
    Last edited by Poetry; 25th March 2013 at 9:00 PM.

Well, I got bored and did a little research on fennec foxes.
    As such, I've managed unearth a few interesting gems:

1) To those saying that "we have too many fox Pokemon!", here's something of comfort; the fennec fox's genus is subject of debate among biologists, with one side putting forth the Vulpes zerda genus theory, and the other posing the Fennecus zerda genus theory.
    So...why am I saying this? Well you see, as it stands now, Fennekin is technically not a fox Pokemon!

2) The word "fennec" is derived from the Arabic word fanak, which means...you guessed it, fox. Now, this little factoid led to a fascinating observation on Fennekin's design; Fennekin's tail is not dissimilar aesthetically to a typical Arabian "onion" roof (See pic for comparison). So, bottom line: I have a strong hunch that the Fennekin line will have an Arabian theme incorporated into their design. This hunch is also supported by the fact that a fennec fox pack is called a harem, an Arabian word meaning forbidden place, sacrosanct, sanctum.

3) There is French novella (The Little Prince), which features a fennec fox. Need I say more?

~The Head Honchkrow~

A journey most XtraordinarY is about to begin...

I love that second one. I like the chespin leviathan one.
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, lot of HA pokes, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"If you love it enough you can have another because the new Pokemon can never take the sentimental value of the original, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

Samurott and Emboar were slightly different in the fact that the background behind their designs was a little bit more subtle and not immediately obvious to the casual observer. Yes, they did not necessarily fit in with the American theme of Unova, but at least they only looked vaguely out of place.

On the other hand, traditional Japanese art such as works by Hokusai and Hiroshige are incredibly distinctive, as is the style of Okami. It is very difficult to simply inject a passing reference to that art style in a Pokemon design, as ukiyo-e and sumi-e have very distinctive and characteristic aspects which give them their instantly recognisable and distinct look. A Pokemon modelled after that art style therefore would stick out much more than the starters of Gen V because of the difficulty of simply being able to lift a few aspects of Japanese art.
    Samorott was pretty obviously Japanese IMO. It wore a traditional Samurai suit and carried a Katana, and the whole anime style is very, very Japanese. Basing what any Pokemon is going to look at based off of the region is simply not a safe bet. The franchise as a whole is very, very Japanese. There is going to be a little European influence, but this is going to be an overall asian based game. If Fennekin is indeed a fire/psychic type, then it's going to have even more asian influence because it's going to be based off of a mythical fox. The fact that it could look like a big, mythical guardian in a Japanese art style is far from a stretch, in fact, a lot of the fanart points in the same general direction.

On the other hand, traditional Japanese art such as works by Hokusai and Hiroshige are incredibly distinctive, as is the style of Okami. It is very difficult to simply inject a passing reference to that art style in a Pokemon design, as ukiyo-e and sumi-e have very distinctive and characteristic aspects which give them their instantly recognisable and distinct look. A Pokemon modelled after that art style therefore would stick out much more than the starters of Gen V because of the difficulty of simply being able to lift a few aspects of Japanese art. I hope I'm being clear in saying that having a Pokemon line modelled after such a style in itself would be very, very unusual.
    Bare in mind the starters are always described as Pokemon found in other and often far-off regions. So perhaps they were quite oriental in style as a way of showing such a difference. Especially with most of the Unova Pokemon having a strong Westernized design. I really hope Fennekin becomes a sort of feminine mage like creature (still a quadruped though), Froakie turning into a king-like creature (I don't like the idea of it having a beard but I've got to wake up and smell the coffee - it's gonna happen). Also Chespin becoming a typical MMO style melee attacker like a knight would be so very awesome :P
    FC: 3397 1451 6348 ...Shuckle-uckle!!

and the whole anime style is very, very Japanese.
    Sorry, but anything which happens in the anime has very, very little influence on what happens in the games. The two are very different entities. If anything, the anime is what it is because it's in itself derivative of the games.

Basing what any Pokemon is going to look at based off of the region is simply not a safe bet.
    You're right, it isn't at all. What I'm saying is pure opinion and speculation, as is what you are saying and the majority of this thread.

The franchise as a whole is very, very Japanese.
    Sorry, can't agree with you at all on this. I fail to see much Japanese influences, if any on most aspects of the series, least of all in aesthetic design. Pokemon as a rule has always been an international franchise, despite its Japanese roots. Just look at what actual Japanese influences are present in the games. I can think of one off the top of my head- Ecruteak City and precious few other locations in Johto. That's not an awful lot.

There is going to be a little European influence, but this is going to be an overall asian based game.
    French region, Norse legendaries... seems like a lot of Europe and not a lot of Asia so far.

If Fennekin is indeed a fire/psychic type, then it's going to have even more asian influence because it's going to be based off of a mythical fox.
    But will its design reflect this? Can we bet on Fennekin's evolutions looking like something ripped straight out of a Japanese watercolour or will it have a more western appearance?

The fact that it could look like a big, mythical guardian in a Japanese art style is far from a stretch, in fact, a lot of the fanart points in the same general direction.
    There's no way to say for certain concerning this but I can say for certain that whatever fanarts predict future Pokemon to look like, they have zero influence on what the actual end result will be. The final two stages of the starter Pokemon for this game were most likely drafted way before the announcement of X and Y.

K, I'm done now.
    Last edited by Poetry; 25th March 2013 at 9:29 PM.

Yeah, the whole knight, wizard, etc thing is not what I'm hoping for. I can perhaps see froakie as a wizard, but the fan art for knight chespin (No offense to the artists) is not appealing. It seems to easy.

-My younger brother

How do you not see the J influence in the pokemon designs? Or at least the big asian influence

Quote Originally Posted by CrusherTheFeraligatr View Post
    Yeah, the whole knight, wizard, etc thing is not what I'm hoping for. I can perhaps see froakie as a wizard, but the fan art for knight chespin (No offense to the artists) is not appealing. It seems to easy.
    I wouldn't mind it being a knight, but I agree with you. The fan art doesn't quite capture it right. Chespin is one of the Pokemon that is probably going to look fierce, and so far all the knight fanart I've seen makes it look like it's still in the middle stage.

Froakie in the medevil theme, hmmm wizard would be cool
    But I could also see him becoming a king/queen royal looking with a cloak of foams..just thinking out loud as usual

White2 Friend code: 0519-7592-3571
    X Friend code: 0216-1851-5361
    My safari: FIRE, slugma,growlith,ninetales

Quote Originally Posted by adamfitz View Post
    Froakie in the medevil theme, hmmm wizard would be cool
    But I could also see him becoming a king/queen royal looking with a cloak of foams..just thinking out loud as usual
    Ya mean like this?

Maybe with a little more of a bubble cape?

I wouldn't mind it being a knight, but I agree with you. The fan art doesn't quite capture it right. Chespin is one of the Pokemon that is probably going to look fierce, and so far all the knight fanart I've seen makes it look like it's still in the middle stage.
    Yeah, that and art usually portrays it as the spikes stay in its head, or spikes turing into a knights helmet. I want something like the leviathan art or that art from deviantart were chespin looks like a huge hedgehog, has spikes/leaves coming out of his knuckles.

-My younger brother

Page 402 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 302352392398399400401402403404405406412452502 ... LastLast