Page 186 of 472 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190196236286 ... LastLast
Results 4,626 to 4,650 of 11789

Thread: Legendaries Speculation/Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Elnava View Post
    I thought Misdreavus was supposed to be a banshee?
    Yeah the misdreavus line woud be, I hadn't thought
    Maybe a better evolution focusing more on hair than a witch hat?

White2 Friend code: 0519-7592-3571
    X Friend code: 0216-1851-5361
    My safari: FIRE, slugma,growlith,ninetales

Quote Originally Posted by adamfitz View Post
    Yeah the misdreavus line woud be, I hadn't thought
    Maybe a better evolution focusing more on hair than a witch hat?
    That could work. Take off the hat, give it more hair and Patrat style crazy eyes

Biggest weakness, soundproof XD

To be honest, Xerneas/Yveltal might not be based on anything, and instead only be based on in-game mythology, like Palkia/Dialga and Lugia/Ho-oh.

That could work. Take off the hat, give it more hair and Patrat style crazy eyes

Biggest weakness, soundproof XD
    Yeah would be great
    Now we ought to get back on topic of legendaries
    Doors anyone else think that we will get the messenger squrriel from yggdrasil
    Since the yggdrasil theory fits so well with it all

Quote Originally Posted by Sneasel Lover View Post
    To be honest, Xerneas/Yveltal might not be based on anything, and instead only be based on in-game mythology, like Palkia/Dialga and Lugia/Ho-oh.
    I would be perfectly fine with that, I'd like it
    Maybe we just are looking into things too much since we don't have much to speculate about...

Ho-oh=Huma Bird/Phoenix
    Lugia~Ryujiin

Palkia/Dialga might be Izanami/Izanagi but that's debatable

Ho-oh=Huma Bird/Phoenix
    Lugia~Ryujiin

Palkia/Dialga might be Izanami/Izanagi but that's debatable
    I'm not talking about their design, I'm talking about their myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Feralninja View Post
    Yeah, that's the only flaw I can find too. Groudon and Kyogre are the Behemoth and Leviathan from Hebrew scripture, NYC has little to do with Taoist philosophy, etc. But as all those new type advocators are constantly spouting, GF can do whatever it wants, and if making the mythos of a region match up irl, more power to them. I also like to think that the theory can hold its own without the obvious connection to France/Western European paganism.

Anyway, this theory didn't get too much mileage back when I first put it out the week following the official announcement, so here's hoping it gets a little more staying power this time around.
    True, you never know with GF.

Anyway, I hope it does stick around since it's a really good theory.

I'm not talking about their design, I'm talking about their myth.
    They still have traits associated with those specific myths: Ho-oh revived the Legendary Beast just like the Phoenix, Lugia bares some similarities in mythology with the Ryujin and Dialga/Palkia share some similarities (though the precursor's debatable) with Izanami/Izanagi in their myths.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 29th March 2013 at 7:10 PM.

It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

I hope Xerneas isn't just like "Hiz gyz! Iz haf Glowzies in mi Hornnz!"

I want the lights to be at least relevant to type.

I wonder what Powers Xerneas and Yvetal will have in-game.

Ho-oh/Lugia: Resurrection (Ho-oh) and Storm/Death (Lugia) seriously, storms cause death :P

Kyogre/Groudon/Rayqauza: Weather (All Three) Sea (Kyogre) Earth (Groudon) Air (*Presumed (Rayquaza)

Dialga/Palkia/Giratina: Time (Dialga) Space (Palkia) Anti-Matter (Giratina)

Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem: Ideals (Reshiram/Possibly White Kyurem) Truth (Zekrom/Possibly Black Kyurem) Kyurem could be Hopes or Dreams, as: 'This legendary ice Pokémon waits for a hero to fill in the missing parts of its body with truth or ideals.' Could mean it hopes/dreams for it.

Xerneas/Yvetal: Axis? Body? (Yvetal) and Mind? (Xerneas) come hear little Boys? (Yvetal) Girls? (Xerneas)

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightFennekin View Post

Ho-oh/Lugia: Resurrection (Ho-oh) and Storm/Death (Lugia) seriously, storms cause death :P

Kyogre/Groudon/Rayqauza: Weather (All Three) Sea (Kyogre) Earth (Groudon) Air (*Presumed (Rayquaza)

Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem: Ideals (Reshiram/Possibly White Kyurem) Truth (Zekrom/Possibly Black Kyurem) Kyurem could be Hopes or Dreams, as: 'This legendary ice Pokémon waits for a hero to fill in the missing parts of its body with truth or ideals.' Could mean it hopes/dreams for it.

Xerneas/Yvetal: Axis? Body? (Yvetal) and Mind? (Xerneas) come hear little Boys? (Yvetal) Girls? (Xerneas)
    Actually, Reshiram was the representative of truth and Zekrom was the representative of ideals. Kyurem was more-or-less ambition, but first and foremost, it was a void or an empty vessel.

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    Actually, Reshiram was the representative of truth and Zekrom was the representative of ideals. Kyurem was more-or-less ambition, but first and foremost, it was a void or an empty vessel.
    I always get them mixed-up. But I do hope that Xerneas and Yvetal have nice backstories.

Rayquaza DOES represent air/the sky. Hence its type, location, ability, species, description, whatever.

Anyways, I would like to see an in-game mythology. No Norse or Celtic junk. Just whatever cool mythos GF can develop on their own.
    LOOKING FOR A SHINY ONIX/STEELIX and SHINY SCYTHER/SCIZOR and SHINY SLOWPOKE. I HAVE POKEBANK CELEBI FOR TRADE AND SOME OTHER SHINIES. PM IF INTERESTED.

Maybe we can create a widely-recognized Pokemon religion around the time Pokemon X/Y gets out.

Quote Originally Posted by confuser987 View Post
    Maybe we can create a widely-recognized Pokemon religion around the time Pokemon X/Y gets out.
    I'd rather have them keep the "mythology" thing going on with the Legendaries and stay out of "religion".

.: So, what's next? | Edit by me, do not steal. :.
    .: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.

I'd still rather the cover trio to be based off of Yggdrasil over Celtic mythology. There's so much potential in it and it already seems like it's heading there. Xerneas embodies the four stags in its antlers. Yveltal is based on the eagle that doesn't have much going for it, so it can create its own persona. Z is the serpent that gnaws on the roots of the tree.

Xerneas has a lot of potential typings. In the mythos, it's constantly mentioned that it's eating leaves raised above it, so it could be grass. Ice, Psychic and Steel are all possible as well. Light would be nice to pair it with to contrast Yveltal. Yveltal would obviously be Dark/Flying. As for Z, it mentions in the various poems about it that it's "venomous" and a "shadowy dragon flying," so there's like 4 types there, but Dragon/Poison would be prime.

Anyway, I want the trio to be based off of Gargoyle statues really badly. The 'leader' would be a grey statue with glowing white eyes. No specifics on the appearance, but it looks like a sinister demon. The second would be the 'modern' gargoyle, blue and made of steel with glowing blue eyes. The last would be the weathered gargoyle. It's purple and has red glowing eyes, and over time it has fallen apart and it's only being held together with supernatural energy.

Leader
    Type: Dark/Rock
    Ability: Sleeper Hit (Speed doubles when opponent is asleep)
    BST: 85 / 100 / 120 / 50 / 120 / 80

Modern
    Dark/Steel
    Same Ability
    BST: 90 / 110 / 150 / 40 / 70 / 60

Weathered
    Dark/Psychic
    Same Ability
    BST: 80 / 40 / 70 / 110 / 150 / 100

Spoiler:- Alpha Sapphire Progress:

I like to see a legendary Pokemon... wait for it... that's also your rival/double battle partner/random ally.

Think about it, legendary Pokes are shown to take human form all the time, at least in the anime (Latias, off the top of my head), so I think it'd be really cool to have one show up, follow you around, help you take down the local evil team, and then near the end of the game, decide that you're worthy of training him/her/it.

Quote Originally Posted by danburite3 View Post
    I like to see a legendary Pokemon... wait for it... that's also your rival/double battle partner/random ally.

Think about it, legendary Pokes are shown to take human form all the time, at least in the anime (Latias, off the top of my head), so I think it'd be really cool to have one show up, follow you around, help you take down the local evil team, and then near the end of the game, decide that you're worthy of training him/her/it.
    Not sure how that would float with me
    Yes its a nice twist
    But would I want to capture it, yet alone train it?
    I mean its a bit strange in my books

Quote Originally Posted by adamfitz View Post
    Not sure how that would float with me
    Yes its a nice twist
    But would I want to capture it, yet alone train it?
    I mean its a bit strange in my books
    Just a random idea. Mostly just because I think Zoroark's Illusion ability is cool, but Zoroark itself is a little... frail. So why not add it to a legendary of some kind? Would make for an interesting side-story, if not the main questline.

Could be that it just automatically adds itself to your party/PC box. Could be that it's the league champion, and after defeating its friends, it reveals itself, sort of like how you get Reshiram/Zekrom when fighting N in Black/White.

I'd like a legendary trio based off of Scottish Loch monsters.

(Yes, I know Lapras exists, but Golem was a Golem but didn't stop the Regi Golems popping up!)

The names are the creatures names, not the Pokemon names

Morag
    Female-Exclusive/X Exclusive
    Dark/Water-Type
    Ability: Intimidate/Hustle

Muc-sheilche
    Female-Exclusive (Y exclusive)
    Water-Type (Being pure means two things-One, it parallels Tornadus, Two, not much is known about it compared to the others.)

Loch Ness Monster
    Leader of The Loch Trio (Requires the other two to obtain)
    Female-Exclusive
    Dragon/Water-Type
    Ability: Sheer Force/Swift Swim

Kind of a pseadou-counterparts to the sausage fest Male-Exclusive Kami Trio, but without formes.

Morag-Dark/Water Type: It's believed to be dangerous/evil!
    Loch Ness Monster-Dragon/Water Type: It's a dinosaur. It's the leader. Dragon is powerful. I suck at explaining things.
    Last edited by MidnightFennekin; 30th March 2013 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    I'd still rather the cover trio to be based off of Yggdrasil over Celtic mythology. There's so much potential in it and it already seems like it's heading there. Xerneas embodies the four stags in its antlers. Yveltal is based on the eagle that doesn't have much going for it, so it can create its own persona. Z is the serpent that gnaws on the roots of the tree.

Xerneas has a lot of potential typings. In the mythos, it's constantly mentioned that it's eating leaves raised above it, so it could be grass. Ice, Psychic and Steel are all possible as well. Light would be nice to pair it with to contrast Yveltal. Yveltal would obviously be Dark/Flying. As for Z, it mentions in the various poems about it that it's "venomous" and a "shadowy dragon flying," so there's like 4 types there, but Dragon/Poison would be prime.
    Bolded part is the thing I most want to emphasize. This isn't directed expressly at you, per say, but at the people who advocate the Yggdrasil theory in general. I know, we don't have too much info, but there seems to be no evidence that points to Yggdrasil, people only make it seem that way by claiming it's so. I've yet to see a convincing argument made for the Yggdrasil parallel, sans the respective animals appearing in the myth. Now before you say "Well, that's proof enough right there!" remember that stags and birds were extremely prevalent in European mythology. And Native American mythology. And to an extent, Eastern mythology as well. If that's really the best evidence people can come up with, I might be tempted into brewing up a crack theory that Xerneas and Yvetal are based off an Iroquois tradition.

Back to seriousness... Xerneas's name alone is honestly a cornerstone of my theory, the parallel between it and Cernununous is too obvious to ignore. As far as I know, the Norse had no horned god, and the worship of the Green Man was not celebrated as far north and east as the Norse were. I'm not just going to copypaste my post from the last page, but based on what I said there, there's far more evidence linking Xerneas and Yvetal to the Dagda and the Morrigan than there is to the stags and eagle of Yggdrasil.

And finally, Niddhogr. What part of the Eddas are you referencing? To the best of my recollection, Niddhogr is either a wyrm or a large snake, meaning it's landlocked and has no wings. It gnaws on the roots of the tree because it cannot climb it, or surmount it in any way. Flying isn't really an option for it (again, as near as I can recall).

Anyway, I want the trio to be based off of Gargoyle statues really badly. The 'leader' would be a grey statue with glowing white eyes. No specifics on the appearance, but it looks like a sinister demon. The second would be the 'modern' gargoyle, blue and made of steel with glowing blue eyes. The last would be the weathered gargoyle. It's purple and has red glowing eyes, and over time it has fallen apart and it's only being held together with supernatural energy.
    That does sound very cool, and very Parisian. I'd probably have to nickname them after the gargoyles from Hunchback.

Quote Originally Posted by danburite3 View Post

That does sound like a really cool plot element, though I don't think GF will do it... Rivals have traditionally been childhood friends, designed to be more friendly competition than anything else. It's cool and all, but I don't think it's likely.

I'd like a legendary trio based off of Scottish Loch monsters.

(Yes, I know Lapras exists, but Golem was a Golem but didn't stop the Regi Golems popping up!)

The names are the creatures names, not the Pokemon names

Morag
    Female-Exclusive/X Exclusive
    Dark/Water-Type

Muc-sheilche
    Female-Exclusive (Y exclusive)
    Water-Type (Being pure means two things-One, it parallels Tornadus, Two, not much is known about it compared to the others.)

Loch Ness Monster
    Leader of The Loch Trio (Requires the other two to obtain)
    Female-Exclusive
    Dragon/Water-Type
    Ability: Sheer Force/Swift Swim

Kind of a pseadou-counterparts to the sausage fest Male-Exclusive Kami Trio, but without formes.

Morag-Dark/Water Type: It's believed to be dangerous/evil!
    Loch Ness Monster-Dragon/Water Type: It's a dinosaur. It's the leader. Dragon is powerful. I suck at explaining things.
    Like everyone else, I'm getting a little tired of the over-saturation of so-called legendaries in the games, but I wouldn't mind both this and the gargoyles!
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Bolded part is the thing I most want to emphasize. This isn't directed expressly at you, per say, but at the people who advocate the Yggdrasil theory in general. I know, we don't have too much info, but there seems to be no evidence that points to Yggdrasil, people only make it seem that way by claiming it's so. I've yet to see a convincing argument made for the Yggdrasil parallel, sans the respective animals appearing in the myth. Now before you say "Well, that's proof enough right there!" remember that stags and birds were extremely prevalent in European mythology. And Native American mythology. And to an extent, Eastern mythology as well. If that's really the best evidence people can come up with, I might be tempted into brewing up a crack theory that Xerneas and Yvetal are based off an Iroquois tradition.

Back to seriousness... Xerneas's name alone is honestly a cornerstone of my theory, the parallel between it and Cernununous is too obvious to ignore. As far as I know, the Norse had no horned god, and the worship of the Green Man was not celebrated as far north and east as the Norse were. I'm not just going to copypaste my post from the last page, but based on what I said there, there's far more evidence linking Xerneas and Yvetal to the Dagda and the Morrigan than there is to the stags and eagle of Yggdrasil.

And finally, Niddhogr. What part of the Eddas are you referencing? To the best of my recollection, Niddhogr is either a wyrm or a large snake, meaning it's landlocked and has no wings. It gnaws on the roots of the tree because it cannot climb it, or surmount it in any way. Flying isn't really an option for it (again, as near as I can recall).

That does sound very cool, and very Parisian. I'd probably have to nickname them after the gargoyles from Hunchback.

That does sound like a really cool plot element, though I don't think GF will do it... Rivals have traditionally been childhood friends, designed to be more friendly competition than anything else. It's cool and all, but I don't think it's likely.

Like everyone else, I'm getting a little tired of the over-saturation of so-called legendaries in the games, but I wouldn't mind both this and the gargoyles!

Perhaps it's a corruption of both? The region is set in Europe (France at the least), and both these myths are European. I wouldn't mind. Scotland area likely if it's Celtic myths. Let's not forget that both mythologies were worshiped at some point there, due to the vikings attacks on Britain, though Scotland was closer. I think I'm being sub-consciously being biased due to being born and living here. What I'm interested in is the areas where we find Xerneas/Yvetal. Maybe Xerneas in a Scottish Forest area (Due to the Green Man! Aswell as Xerneas being Blue and having 'X's on it :P) and Yvetal in a Scandinavian mountain?

Thanks for liking my idea lol!

EDIT:

Stats for ma Legends!

Morag and Muc-Sheilche:

80/125/115/70/110/80

BST: 580 (Same as Tornadus/Thunderus)

Nessie/Loch Ness Monster

90/70/110/125/115/90

BST: 600 (Same as Landorus)

Basically Nessie would be Tank Palkia!
    Last edited by MidnightFennekin; 30th March 2013 at 11:03 PM.

Perhaps it's a corruption of both? The region is set in Europe (France at the least), and both these myths are European. I wouldn't mind. Scotland area likely if it's Celtic myths. Let's not forget that both mythologies were worshiped at some point there, due to the vikings attacks on Britain, though Scotland was closer. I think I'm being sub-consciously being biased due to being born and living here. What I'm interested in is the areas where we find Xerneas/Yvetal. Maybe Xerneas in a Scottish Forest area (Due to the Green Man! Aswell as Xerneas being Blue and having 'X's on it :P) and Yvetal in a Scandinavian mountain?
    Celtic doesn't necessarily mean British or Irish. The entirety of the people from ancient Germany down through France and into the British Isles were all Celts. The ancient French, before they were Gallic, were Celtic. And I'd like to see your source on that, the Norse gods being adopted by Scotland. The Vikings were hated and feared all throughout, well, wherever they raided. Not much of an effort was put into the sharing of customs. The closest the ancient French and Scotts came to knowing about Yggdrasil and Odin was when they were being killed by raiders. They had a complex belief system of their own, they had no need to adopt the Norse one. By the time most of the Norse raids were coming, most had begun the conversion to Christianity anyway.

The Horned God and the Morrigan are Celtic, yes, but that doesn't mean they are strictly ancient gods from across the Channel. They have their roots in France just as much as they do in Ireland.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Celtic doesn't necessarily mean British or Irish. The entirety of the people from ancient Germany down through France and into the British Isles were all Celts. The ancient French, before they were Gallic, were Celtic. And I'd like to see your source on that, the Norse gods being adopted by Scotland. The Vikings were hated and feared all throughout, well, wherever they raided. Not much of an effort was put into the sharing of customs. The closest the ancient French and Scotts came to knowing about Yggdrasil and Odin was when they were being killed by raiders. They had a complex belief system of their own, they had no need to adopt the Norse one. By the time most of the Norse raids were coming, most had begun the conversion to Christianity anyway.

The Horned God and the Morrigan are Celtic, yes, but that doesn't mean they are strictly ancient gods from across the Channel. They have their roots in France just as much as they do in Ireland.
    Do they now? Sorry, I'm total sh1t at history. I'm too busy sleeping lol!

But Celtic in France.... makes a lot of sense. Are they finally trying to make the legend make sense to the region? Yes please

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestospoison View Post
    Actually, Gen IV had the same amount (13), more if you count Phione. Gen III had 10. It wasn't just Gen V. I don't see any problem with it, though. What's wrong with more legendaries? As long as they don't try to make every single one a god of something or w/e. Personally, I think that more legendary pokemon help flesh out the region and make it feel more real by giving them some mythology.
    well... that's the point. Every time you change region is like that evertthing that happended is forgot (the battles of palkia and dialga for example) The pokemon world ends up losing a lot of interesting history in my opinion...

__________________________________________________ _
    Pokemon X Version Friend Code: 5043 3821 1755

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Shard View Post
    well... that's the point. Every time you change region is like that evertthing that happended is forgot (the battles of palkia and dialga for example) The pokemon world ends up losing a lot of interesting history in my opinion...
    Not really, the legends revolving around them will still be present (in the Pokedex or otherwise) and the respective plotlines are referenced in-game (Cynthia references the Distortion World in BW, Steven references the events of Emerald in HGSS, etc.).

It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

I like the look of Yveltal. I honestly don't know what types I think it could be, so I'm not not even going to guess. XD

Though it does look like a tuning fork, so there's that.

Page 186 of 472 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190196236286 ... LastLast