Page 1 of 116 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: New Gameplay Graphics Thread

Hybrid View

Default New Gameplay Graphics Thread

Not only is this the first main game in the series to arrive on the 3DS, but it also comes with battles in 3D. Goodbye sprites, hello models!

Discuss your thoughts on the new layout in regards to the overworld and battles.

All posts, speculation or not, should be constructive and contain ideas, support/elaborate their ideas, and must contribute to the discussions and/or on-going arguments. Also, one-liner posts such as "I agree.", "I want [this] to be in the game!", "This sucks!" will all be considered SPAM, deleted and you will be possibly infracted.

Let's promote a worthwhile discussion!
    Last edited by bobandbill; 8th January 2013 at 12:42 PM.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

Other Fics
    Unfortunately Blue | Notice: Keep Out | Turnabout Assumptions
    Song Parodies | Snapshots | Fairy Tale (new!)

Check out this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut? Check the forums too!
    Current article: From RSE to ORAS - Top Ten Wanted Improvements!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

I hope they get rid of the protagonist's shades, they look ridiculous. This aside, I absolutely cannot wait!

Finaly each pokemon reacts to the attckas in a unique way. for me thats the best part !

Quote Originally Posted by carboncopy View Post
    Finaly each pokemon reacts to the attckas in a unique way. for me thats the best part !
    It is a very big advancement in the Pokemon series, and it looks awesome! but I hope they have something like BW2 where you could re-live what happened to the old characters, and they use sprites. It just one of the classic Pokemon franchises...thing.
    --75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon
    up legally, put this in your signature. (Started by SkittyLover77)--

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Quote Originally Posted by Suitcune View Post
    It is a very big advancement in the Pokemon series, and it looks awesome!
    Isn't that something that already happened with the Gamecube games? I still play those, they're so wonderful. And something I really love about them is how the Pokemon attack and are hit/faint in a unique way. Hopefully it will look amazing on the 3DS too.

Friend Code - 1263-7345-4763 ADD ME Friend Safari: Wartortle, Frogadier, Panpour

yea once I saw a pokemon use swift on excadrill or krookodile (forgot what one sorry) it actually moves back a bit. Now I can see how the pokemon reacts to my attacks. But now I think swift does even less damage after seeing that.

I agree, makes pokemon seem more realistic (:
    Follow me on Twitter @YaTurley and let's discuss pokemon!

I know I've been waiting for this

I'm hoping that the 3DS will be able to fluidly let us transition from one area to another. One of my irritations with BW was that when you walk from Nimbasa City, to the carnival, that you suddenly get a black screen, because of whatever the DS wasn't powerful enough to have those spaces as one area.. -.-

The 3D is obviously going to make stuff good, and stuff bad, but I'm hoping for fluid transitions here. That's just the overworld talk. The 3D battling looks amazing, and pokemon are actually doing the Fury Swipes/Close Combat hits themselves, based on Froakie's second move. That's impressive. Now I'm just left wondering about how Wailord will fit in.. :P

As for overworld, one more thing.. When we see the character walking on what is presumably Route 3. The landscape in the background looks bad. Like Skyward Sword background bad.. I know a lot of people were excited about Skyward Sword, but I honestly got headaches from the backgrounds being so blurry.
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    As for overworld, one more thing.. When we see the character walking on what is presumably Route 3. The landscape in the background looks bad. Like Skyward Sword background bad.. I know a lot of people were excited about Skyward Sword, but I honestly got headaches from the backgrounds being so blurry.
    Oh and I just wanted to say that the "blurryness" was somewhat intentional in Skyward Sword. The game graphics are inspired by the artist father of cubism, Cezanne, and the backgrounds are supposed to resemble his artwork/have a more cubistic landscape feel when looked upon from far away. I never thought of it as blurry though, and never got headaches. But I guess we're all different people c:

In general DS three dimensional graphics tend to be a bit blurry though, I agree. At least in the 3DS it doesn't seem to have these washed out colours as DS games such as FFIV etc got. Instead it's very bright and colourful. The battle graphics are great. I can't wait. It'll feel like holding a tiny pokémon stadium or something.

I sort of hope the graphics with bigger trainer models might come with the possibility to slightly modify your trainer? That would be super fun and something a lot of people have been wanting for years!

Quote Originally Posted by SoraNight View Post
    Well since in other 3D Pokemon games, all Pokemon had fainting animations, I would expect this game to be no different.
    I've got a feeling they'll just stick for the standard "falling through the ground" idea. Personally I don't think that the introduction of 3D graphics constitutes for a change in that respect of battle animations.

Quote Originally Posted by Plummy View Post
    Oh and I just wanted to say that the "blurryness" was somewhat intentional in Skyward Sword. The game graphics are inspired by the artist father of cubism, Cezanne, and the backgrounds are supposed to resemble his artwork/have a more cubistic landscape feel when looked upon from far away. I never thought of it as blurry though, and never got headaches. But I guess we're all different people c:
    I never really saw Cubist influences in Skyward Sword's graphics, just mainly Impressionist-influenced styles.

The graphics are one of the few things I'm slightly disappointed about, tbh. An eventual 3D leap was always inevitable, but I'm sad we never got a High-Res sprites phase in-between. I also feel the art style is too similar to BW, I never really liked it as much as HGSS or RSE's styles, and it's just not colourful enough in some places.

Hopefully they've either removed seasons or made winter and autumn look better though.

Edit: Also battles will take long as hell with all those fancy animations. It'll be cool for gym leaders and stuff but I might have to turn them off for grinding things.
    Last edited by Will-powered Spriter; 8th January 2013 at 1:55 PM.

All this and more on my tumblr!
    I can breed premier ball Johto starters.
    3DS: 1160-9852-7611
    Will-Powered Spriter

What bugs me is by using 3D models instead of sprites, how will we get the images of the pokemon?

Quote Originally Posted by pikadon92 View Post
    What bugs me is by using 3D models instead of sprites, how will we get the images of the pokemon?
    I guess the box sprites will still be 2D. IF not, sugimori art or fan works.

All this and more on my tumblr!
    I can breed premier ball Johto starters.
    3DS: 1160-9852-7611
    Will-Powered Spriter

Quote Originally Posted by Will-powered Spriter View Post
    I guess the box sprites will still be 2D. IF not, sugimori art or fan works.
    Yeah, some guy on DA or whatever will probably redraw all the new Pokemon in 2D, and if not, well we still have 5th gen sprites!

Default 3DS camera

Quote Originally Posted by pikadon92 View Post
    Simple we could use the built in camera. Just press L/R and the pic can be saved on the SD card. That is IF Y X and have that capability.

I don't see why not. Nintendogs + Cats has this.

I must say I liked the sprites better, but oh well. I'll get used to the new style.
    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

"Oh, and here is my grandson. …Erm, what was his name now?"

Full 3D huh. I'm not sure how I feel about this honestly. I am a big fan of the overhead view of the world like it is in the other pokemon games and don't know if I'll easilly adjust to the new style. The battles look alright I guess, but I'll miss the sprites.

Credit to ~BrightStarVictory~ for the banner

Yea the protagonist needs customizable features. The males ones have been pretty bad lately. It like the keep redesigning Hilbert.

THE DANCE OF YOUR LIFE #TEAMVAGETA

Signature edited due to Rule Breaking- check this: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=430446

6th Gen Future Partner^

Quote Originally Posted by tayetayetv1 View Post
    Yea the protagonist needs customizable features.
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranitar trainer View Post
    Been a few days now and I still think the over-world looks a bit ugly. I understand that nothing is final but looking at first images released of B/W, not much changed.
    It's still in Beta.
    P.S. nice sig. Loose Yourself
    Next time someone deletes my sig I'm going to report them for inappropriate use of the system.

3DS FC: 1048 8840 4517 Ghost

Beware of Serebii Forums user Hydrohs. If your Signature is even close to being at the limit, he will have it deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by tayetayetv1 View Post
    Yea the protagonist needs customizable features. The males ones have been pretty bad lately. It like the keep redesigning Hilbert.
    I know what you mean of late I've stoped always using male characters(like I used to) and going, which character design is not as bad as the other... either they need to improve designs or allow us to customize the characters... sigh

As for the 3-d I'm on a wait and see basis...
    Dragons are my friend, Ice is my foe...
    (Kyurem is an exception) dragonics rule

-Let us hope for gen 6 to turn out well!

The graphics will definitely take some time to grow on me. I'm too conservative/right-winged/traditional to instantly go "ZOMG! EPIC 3D GRAPHX! Ecks & Wy will b teh BEST!!"

Plus I still don't own a 3DS and I doubt it'll take Pokemon X & Y to get me to buy one.
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets

The Grand Finale Arc begins with Chapter 109.

Ash will capture this thing.
    Mark my words

I think the graphics and all the details of the world are really good, and they're taking a step in the right direction.
    it sort of reminds me of XD/Colloseum/PBR.

As a spriter i'll miss the sprites, but who knows, maybe they might have some in the game usable.

I'm also intrigued to see how pokemon look when they have low hp or faint - as sprites, their movements grew slower when they had low hp and their sprites disappeared when they fainted. Now, with the new 3D forms, will they appear bruised or dazed when they have low hp and actually topple over when they faint? Seems a bit darker.
    That's what happened in XD/COlloseum actually, lol.
    but i am also interested about how they will pull fainting in moves off. i notice at one point during the trailer it shows the pokemon getting CLOSE UP and attacking the opponent, so meh.
    Last edited by CrystalNinetales; 8th January 2013 at 3:28 PM.

I just don't like the new art direction. Part of the reason I enjoyed the games was the that they were sprite based. On top of that, thanks to Nintendo's disposition to focus on a gimmick of a system instead of actual power the models are of a quality that wouldn't have been considered good even years ago

See, I'm excited to get back to Colosseum style play, and that's a bit oversimplified but that's kinda what it is.it looks great on my nice IPAD screen and should look awesome when I watch it again on my full sized Dell Laptop... But we all have to remember this is a game that's going to be played on screens with no more surfa e volume than a business card. Could you play Gale of Darkness or Colosseum, Battle Rev even on a DS screen and still get the awe out of it?
        Spoiler:- Breeding stuff:

Page 1 of 116 123451151101 ... LastLast