Thread: Dex Speculation/Discussion Thread [READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES]

I see we're currently arguing over the placement of typing and a certain inconsistency that seems to have not fallen in my range of [desired] attention.

Primary Type/Secondary Type

Noivern's primary type is Flying. Its secondary type is Dragon. I see no problem with that.
    Consistency is not a problem here. You guys seem to be debating the problem of the placement of types and how it is unconventional. In the end, the placement of types does not seem to affect STABs. It's just a way of giving a Pokémon a type logically.

Quote Originally Posted by GenosectArceus View Post
    I see we're currently arguing over the placement of typing and a certain inconsistency that seems to have not fallen in my range of [desired] attention.

Noivern's primary type is Flying. Its secondary type is Dragon. I see no problem with that.
    Consistency is not a problem here. You guys seem to be debating the problem of the placement of types and how it is unconventional. In the end, the placement of types does not seem to affect STABs. It's just a way of giving a Pokémon a type logically.
    Indeed. That is why giving a pokemon a defining characteristic such as control of electricity and giving it the Electric typing THEN deciding to give it the type that signifies a default typing, seems illogical to me.

It is secondary Normal that bothers me, Flying/Dragon is cool!
    HEAVEN-WIND-MOUNTAIN-EARTH
    [IMG]http://i42.*******.com/2m6x5l0.png[/IMG]
    MARSH-THUNDER-FIRE-WATER

Credit to http://ekurepu.deviantart.com/ for the awesome X and Y sprites

What do you believe that the Pikaclone of this generation will be like?

Quote Originally Posted by YourPermanentRecord631 View Post
    I felt like the regional rodents were getting much better after Furret (Raticate was decent) in game wise. Zigzagoon was a great Pick-up user, Bidoof is a beloved HM Slave and Patrat gets access to Hypnosis, Confuse Ray and Super Fang, I'm curious to see what this regional rodent will bring to the table.
    What if this region rodent is a 3 stage instead of 2 stage pokemon, would make them diferent enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulsOfSilver View Post
    What do you believe that the Pikaclone of this generation will be like?
    Hmm, maybe part Fairy? :P perhaps haha! I do seriously see this happening though

I don't really like the pikaclones :S but we'll see what comes up hey

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    What if this region rodent is a 3 stage instead of 2 stage pokemon, would make them diferent enough.

I'd like that something like Lillipup in terms of stat progression- Lillipup was quite anamolous to me, because it appeared in the first route- thus making it a more useful alternative to Patrat which is kind of redundant other than Hypnosis and it's other quirks... Super Fang?
    Last edited by storm12; 20th June 2013 at 12:51 AM.
    MARSH-THUNDER-FIRE-WATER

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    I would like a sugar glider, jerboa or hare to be used as this region's rodent or Pikaclone.

Were Plusle and Minun rabbits?

I would like a sugar glider, jerboa or hare to be used as this region's rodent or Pikaclone.

Were Plusle and Minun rabbits?
    Hmm Jerboa, cool. Maybe a Kangaroo rat?

I think they sort of are, more like rabbits than mice, but then they could be based on actual 'pikas' as well- which are more related to rabbits than mice I believe

and not to throw fuel on a fire- but what happened to the Primary/Secondary type debate- I still wonder about d'at Lizard and d'at Lion :P
    MARSH-THUNDER-FIRE-WATER

Still waiting for a squid Pokemon to be honest, as I'm not fully convinced that Skrelp is based on one even partially; it looks more like Kingdra a weedy seadragon to me. Still, I'm satisfied with the other Water-types in this generation: Clauncher's design alone slays my life and Froakie is pretty cool-looking, even if it is another frog. :P

Quote Originally Posted by storm12 View Post
    Indeed. That is why giving a pokemon a defining characteristic such as control of electricity and giving it the Electric typing THEN deciding to give it the type that signifies a default typing, seems illogical to me.

It is secondary Normal that bothers me, Flying/Dragon is cool!
    There is absolutely wrong with a Normal type as the secondary typing. It's just a placement, for Arceus's sake.

I think the rodent this gen will be a Vole or Marmot.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_Marmot
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Vole
    Omega Sapphire team

There is absolutely wrong with a Normal type as the secondary typing. It's just a placement, for Arceus's sake.
    ...so can you please explain to me how a pokemon has a strong association to Electric type then suddenly also warrants to have it's SECOND type indicate a default nature- contradictory? It isn't the same as Normal/Electric- that is what I am saying- they aren't interchangeable/.
    MARSH-THUNDER-FIRE-WATER

Plusle and Minun were a bit more rabbity than Pikachu itself (Which I always describe as a viscacha - Either that or the Pika it is named after - viscachas are relatives of chinchillas, pikas are lagomorphs and not rodents at all).

Emolga is just as much a sugar glider as it is a flying squirrel, so I doubt sugar glider is in the cards.

I do like the idea of jerboa, springhaa, or kangaroo rat. Not a rodent, but a hyrax might work, too. Other non-rodents like shrews may also work. Or an armadillo.

Guinea pig, mara, or capybara may also work. Of those I think I like Mara best.

Hmm Jerboa, cool. Maybe a Kangaroo rat?

I think they sort of are, more like rabbits than mice, but then they could be based on actual 'pikas' as well- which are more related to rabbits than mice I believe

and not to throw fuel on a fire- but what happened to the Primary/Secondary type debate- I still wonder about d'at Lizard and d'at Lion :P
    What with Fairy being the new poster type for the pink blobs, I think that Normal is slowly becoming more of an 'animal' or 'beast' type than a default non-elemental. It shows brute force.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiddsy View Post
    Plusle and Minun were a bit more rabbity than Pikachu itself (Which I always describe as a viscacha - Either that or the Pika it is named after - viscachas are relatives of chinchillas, pikas are lagomorphs and not rodents at all).

Emolga is just as much a sugar glider as it is a flying squirrel, so I doubt sugar glider is in the cards.

I do like the idea of jerboa, springhaa, or kangaroo rat. Not a rodent, but a hyrax might work, too. Other non-rodents like shrews may also work. Or an armadillo.

Ah, I've never head of that animal, so I learned something new today

I can almost picture a capybara- a big one at that! Perhaps Normal/Ground? A Kangaroo rat could also be like that- any kind of burrowing rodent actually, Normal/Ground would be nice, and seems like a fairly 'natural' typing in that it would be Normal and evolve into Normal/Ground. Like Bidoof--->Bibarel

A Hyrax evolving into a elephant pokemon would be cool seeing as that is it's closest living relative I believe?
    MARSH-THUNDER-FIRE-WATER

Quote Originally Posted by Skiddsy View Post

Wow! That viscacha really does kind of resemble Pikachu. Now... imagine if they had a Hyrax Pokemon that evolved into an elephant? They're related.

What with Fairy being the new poster type for the pink blobs, I think that Normal is slowly becoming more of an 'animal' or 'beast' type than a default non-elemental. It shows brute force.
    Hmm interesting. I saw Normal as also carrying some traits of beasts- specifically Mammals- looking at Bibarel, Girafarig, Sawsbuck and Litleo: but Helioptile you little minx :P

I don't think all of the pink blobs are going to be Fairy typed- I could imagine the Chansey line remaining Normal :S might be just me though.

Wow! That viscacha really does kind of resemble Pikachu. Now... imagine if they had a Hyrax Pokemon that evolved into an elephant? They're related.

See my above post I had the same thought
    MARSH-THUNDER-FIRE-WATER

Quote Originally Posted by YourPermanentRecord631 View Post
    What about Regigigas? Surely you have a great idea for the master yes.
    He Morphs into the Death Star and rains death onto his opponents.

No really, at this time I would take anything to make Regigias usable.

I think litleo and helioptile will evolve by trading while holding electrizer and magmarizer like electabuzz and magmar, OR they'll evolve like shelmet and karrablast do, and their secondary normal-typing will become the type of the other so helioptile will become electric/fire while litleo becomes fire/electric.

I could be way off but I think it would be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive
    We all stand in single file line, and we have all been born into it.

Quote Originally Posted by weavile606 View Post
    I think litleo and helioptile will evolve by trading while holding electrizer and magmarizer like electabuzz and magmar, OR they'll evolve like shelmet and karrablast do, and their secondary normal-typing will become the type of the other so helioptile will become electric/fire while litleo becomes fire/electric.

I could be way off but I think it would be cool.
    Woah, a very interesting theory I like it

but still, couldn't they have been pure typed instead of part Normal? Sorry, it bare bugs me :P I mean it is unique and'all but it is so ODD :P
    MARSH-THUNDER-FIRE-WATER

Woah, a very interesting theory I like it

but still, couldn't they have been pure typed instead of part Normal? Sorry, it bare bugs me :P I mean it is unique and'all but it is so ODD :P
    Maybe they don't get good elemental STAB until a higher level?

Maybe they don't get good elemental STAB until a higher level?
    Could be, but they could still have been pure typed or Normal/???

I'm not against ???/Normal- but I would just like to know why :P
    MARSH-THUNDER-FIRE-WATER

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    He Morphs into the Death Star and rains death onto his opponents.

No really, at this time I would take anything to make Regigias usable.
    Give Regigigas Explosion while bringing back the defense lowering effect, that'll get him out of the dump.

It's all just a stance and a matter of perception, really. Either Litleo and Helioptile are pokemon placed in the beginning of the game, which explains why they have Normal as an additional typing (to uphold the commonplace Normal-type position in the beginning of the games) or GF is trying to invest in more "unconventional" typings.

Really, I'm starting to see it as a balancer, especially with Fairy being introduced as it "balances" the type chart further. It's probably because of the Fairy-type being introduced, GF is trying to prevent any other types to become OP. That should also explain why they revealed the fact that Fairy is strong against Dragon, but why Dragon? Because it's arguably the best offensive type in the game, and GF should obviously know this by default.

Meh, maybe a little too in-depth, but from that and those two particular 'mons, I think we'll be seeing more pokemon with typing combinations we haven't seen before.
    Ardent user of anything Rock, Steel, Ground, or Fire
    3DS FC: 4296-3229-5439
    Credit to Mochi10 for the userbar/Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner

What if they change the mechanics? Primary Type gets higher STAB, while secondary gets a lower STAB.
    Same with defense. Primary type weakness gets more damage than Secondary-type weakness.

Anyway, this isn't the right thread to discuss this...

.: So, what's next? | Edit by me, do not steal. :.
    .: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulava View Post
    What if they change the mechanics? Primary Type gets higher STAB, while secondary gets a lower STAB.
    Same with defense. Primary type weakness gets more damage than Secondary-type weakness.

Anyway, this isn't the right thread to discuss this...
    Alright, even though this isn't the right place to discuss I just want to finish what you were saying off with NO WAY THAT SUCKS PLEASE NO D:
    Currently not playing any Pokemon Games, you can check my Backloggery for games that I AM playing, if you're interested:

If I'm playing a Pokemon game, I'll have my signature display the game I'm playing, current team, and badge number.

Page 1475 of 3636 FirstFirst ... 4751375142514651471147214731474147514761477147814791485152515752475 ... LastLast