Page 15 of 526 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Gameplay Speculation/Discussion Thread

I hope the scrapped the IV system completely. Just keep the EV system and expand upon that instead of the computer assigning permanent and unchangeable stat points to our Pokémon in the background. Potentially making a lot of pokémon near worthless. How is it fair in any stretch of the word to have a pokémon possibly be DOA from the moment it hatches/is caught?

The EV system is great, I just wish they would make it more robust.
    Last edited by Vehks; 10th January 2013 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vehks View Post
    I hope the scrapped the IV system completely. Just keep the EV system and expand upon that instead of the computer assigning permanent and unchangeable stat points to our Pokémon in the background. Potentially making a lot of pokémon near worthless. How is it fair in any stretch of the word to have a pokémon possibly be DOA from the moment it hatches/is caught?

The EV system is great, I just wish they would make it more robust.
    That's not going to be changing at this point. Both have been in from the beginning, they revamped them once, so they obviously changed it to how they wanted it.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    That's not going to be changing at this point. Both have been in from the beginning, they revamped them once, so they obviously changed it to how they wanted it.
    People also said pokémon would never go full 3D. The IV system is bad, just because it's been around since the beginning doesn't mean it should get a stay of execution on that reason alone.

The IV system is bad, just because it's been around since the beginning doesn't mean it should get a stay of execution on that reason alone.
    It gives Pokemon another degree of variation, and makes each individual member of a species unique. Only competitive players too dumb to PRNG manipulate/play on a simulator think it's bad, because no one else cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    It gives Pokemon another degree of variation, and makes each individual member of a species unique. Only competitive players too dumb to PRNG manipulate/play on a simulator think it's bad, because no one else cares.
    Yes, an invisible stat number totally makes each species "unique". You know comp players just generate all their pokemon now because the system is so flawed right?

I also love how to fully enjoy the comp scene you should just play on a simulator rather than the official game. Yes the system is totally not flawed at all.
    Last edited by Vehks; 10th January 2013 at 12:48 AM.

I'm really hoping that the overworld navigation is improved with use of the C-Pad... no more 4-direction restricted bullcrap.
    Y Team: Delphox, Venusaur (Mega), Blaziken, Absol, Aegislash, Florges
    PROUD TO DONATE GOOD POKEMON TO THE WONDER TRADE!
    But I swear to Arceus if you give me a Dedenne, I will find you.
    3DS Friend Code: 2036-7115-4768
    (my safari zone really sucks... sorry. IT HAS DEDENNE. STUPID KARMA.)
    <<R.I.P.
    HELLO HERE'S MY FANFICTION

Mod note: Signature should have have font size larger than 3.
    Lux note: You're right, it should.

I also talk about Pokemon stuffs here. (and the link works now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Luxvan View Post
    I'm really hoping that the overworld navigation is improved with use of the C-Pad... no more 4-direction restricted bullcrap.
    Pretty sure it's still 4. I don't see why people hate this really.

"Do you know the definition of insanity?"
    Y Team:Chesnaught, Talonflame, Blastoise, Aegislash, Tyrantrum, Heliolisk

3DS FC: 3995-6518-0794

Yes, an invisible stat number totally makes each species "unique". You know comp players just generate all their pokemon now because the system is so flawed right?
    Funnily enough, GameFreak couldn't give fewer sh*ts about competitive battling.

People also said pokémon would never go full 3D. The IV system is bad, just because it's been around since the beginning doesn't mean it should get a stay of execution on that reason alone.
    If you actually look back at the interview GameFreak had said they were sticking with sprites until they felt they could create a 3D world that would fit their style. There's nothing wrong with the IV system, it's very easy to work around. It's there to make it seem like each Pokemon is different, even ones of the same species. GameFreak really like their variance.

It's definitely still quad-directional, you can tell from the trailer.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by rocky505 View Post
    Well, in a 2d game it works fine, butin a full 3d environment a lot of players would like have more freedom then to be confined to a grid

It's not a problem itself if with a directional pad, but if I can't move in a circle with a circle pad, that's a little ridiculous.
    <<R.I.P.

If you actually look back at the interview GameFreak had said they were sticking with sprites until they felt they could create a 3D world that would fit their style. There's nothing wrong with the IV system, it's very easy to work around. It's there to make it seem like each Pokemon is different, even ones of the same species. GameFreak really like their variance.

IVs don't make pokemon 'feel' different as it is a background number only, and besides that comp players just generate their pokemon or play on a sim so they end up being the same anyway. Now again, please give me a good logical reason why it should stay other than simply because it has been part of the game for so long?

The grid movement is a little riduculous, but it won't bother me too much. Still a little curious about why gamefreak decided to leave it there. I mean, this just seems a little bit crazy for me...
    Farmer, monster slayer, adventurer...

And womanizer, of course!

And BW2 previews showed Unova covered in ice. Guess what didn't happen?
    <<R.I.P.

Except it sort of did. Most of the ice was just hiding spoilers on the map.

Do you mean the trailer or the map?

The map had ice covering up new/changed areas for the purpose of concealing spoilers. The scene in the trailer was based off of when Team Plasma froze Opelucid City and stole the DNA Splicers.

... There was no gameplay of Unova covered in ice that did not appear in the game.

IVs don't make pokemon 'feel' different as it is a background number only, and besides that comp players just generate their pokemon or play on a sim so they end up being the same anyway. Now again, please give me a good logical reason why it should stay other than simply because it has been part of the game for so long?
    If IVs didn't make Pokemon feel different you wouldn't be complaining. It's exactly what GameFreak wants, they want the Pokemon to feel more alive and unique. Just like real creatures, each one is different.
    Last edited by Hydrohs; 10th January 2013 at 1:01 AM.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when the IV system first was changed, didn't that contribute to the problem of the generation gap? Wouldn't it be fair to say that it would cause a massive amount of unneeded work to change the IV's of pokemon transferred from older games, let alone change the system at all? Remember, Gamefreak doesn't care much for our competitive battling. They never changed the system with competitive battling in mind, I would assume, judging by how difficult it is to train competitively in 3rd gen.
    Nintendo Network Suggestions //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo // RU RMT

Except it sort of did. Most of the ice was just hiding spoilers on the map.
    I never thought of it like that, though there were still new areas uncovered...
    <<R.I.P.

I never thought of it like that, though there were still new areas uncovered...
    Because they were already revealed.

... There was no gameplay of Unova covered in ice that did not appear in the game.

If IVs didn't make Pokemon feel different you wouldn't be complaining. It's exactly what GameFreak wants, they want the Pokemon to feel more alive and unique. Just like real creatures, each one is different.
    Ok, so what you are saying is that a flawed system that can make a Pokémon DOA, regardless of how much effort a player puts into training their pokemon makes pokemon unique in a good way? Really, so we should just allow this terrible system to exist because gamefreak can't come up with better way of differentiating pokemon?

Don't you think EVs, which the player can actually influence by training, is better way of making pokemon unique?

Quote Originally Posted by gustavo 14 View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when the IV system first was changed, didn't that contribute to the problem of the generation gap? Wouldn't it be fair to say that it would cause a massive amount of unneeded work to change the IV's of pokemon transferred from older games, let alone change the system at all? Remember, Gamefreak doesn't care much for our competitive battling. They never changed the system with competitive battling in mind, I would assume, judging by how difficult it is to train competitively in 3rd gen.
    So if they don't care about comp play, why do they insist on keeping this system that the average casual player doesn't even know exists?
    Last edited by Vehks; 10th January 2013 at 1:11 AM.

Because they were already revealed.
    Well then, you're certainly on top of the game.
    <<R.I.P.

Don't you think EVs, which the player can actually influence by training, is better way of making pokemon unique?
    No, because then all Pokemon are the same. EVs, along with Experience, are a measure of a Pokemon's growth through battling. IVs are a Pokemon's base talent. Just like you might be good at swimming and I might be good at running. Both of us could train in the other, but the activity we had a natural talent for we would be better at. Pokemon can all undergo the same training, that doesn't make them unique at all, IVs ensure that it is incredibly unlikely two Pokemon will have the same stats.

So if they don't care about comp play, why do they insist on keeping this system that the average casual player doesn't even know exists?
    To keep the Pokemon unique. That's what this all boils down to, get two Pokemon, even if you've never battled with them before, and they're different. GameFreak wants them all to be different.

Hey Luxvan, where did you find that art of Yveltal? I'm sure it's fan made, but it's beautiful and I want to see the opposing art of Xerneas!

Quote Originally Posted by Plus side down side View Post
    It would PO a ton of people if they showed 5 different Pokemon and none of them were in game.
    They did that with D/P screenshots. Butterfree and Scizor were prominently shown to show off the then-new gender differences feature, but neither of them were obtainable pre-E4 in D/P.
    HOW TO HEAR KYUREM'S CRY IN REAL LIFE:
    1. Blow your nose

Page 15 of 526 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast