Page 52 of 526 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 13134

Thread: Gameplay Speculation/Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Helcate View Post
    I believe that a dodge system would be a nice addition to the games. I have always hated it when you are facing a very powerful pokemon and you have to sit there while they defeat your pokemon. And to make it harder, you would have to dodge at the right moment and if you dodged too much, your pokemon would become exhausted and wouldn't dodge.
    Ugh. I don't like this. This would ruin the series for me in my opinion =/
    Nintendo Gamer since 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Joejoe2012 View Post
    You can probably transfer from 5th gen
    Well yes, that's almost guaranteed seeing as it's been done from gen 1-2, 3-4, 4-5 across several systems.

White FC: 4727 7654 4502

Quote Originally Posted by Wadeledge View Post
    "Defend" the way you describe it is essentially Iron Defense or Amnesia or going further Protect/Detect. It's already in the game.

Masuda said in his blog that there would be, "A new battle mechanism that allows your Pokémon to become even more powerful when the bonds you share grow stronger." I'm curious as to how that would be implemented.
    Maybe Masuda wasn't talking about bonds with your Pokemon? Maybe bonds with irl people. Like if you are in streetpass while in a battle, anyone you pass could give you a boost.

And Detect is actually a dodge. They read the opponent's movement and dodge accordingly, while Protect just summons a barrier to take the hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Helcate View Post
    I believe that a dodge system would be a nice addition to the games. I have always hated it when you are facing a very powerful pokemon and you have to sit there while they defeat your pokemon. And to make it harder, you would have to dodge at the right moment and if you dodged too much, your pokemon would become exhausted and wouldn't dodge.
    A dodge system would break the game and it's actually already in the game. If you want to dodge up your evasion or lower your rivals accuracy in-battle you can also use moves like harden to take nothing from hits. That would never be in a base Pokemon game but it could be in a spin-off where the battle system would be completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by ben1011bh View Post
    I noticed the character in front of a mirror which could possibly mean you can put the character in clothes also is it me or does the character look like the bw and bw2 characters seriously gamefreak is obsessed with that look
    Yeah I saw that too...deeply disappointed. He looks almost exactly like the hero in b/w2. Same colors and all. The only difference is that he cut his hair and got a proper hat from the guy in b/w.

White FC: 4727 7654 4502

The battling mechanics are already balanced and fair. making further complications could make the game 'different' from the others. it is always fun to play when you experience game play like all the others in the past. What i'd really like to be changed is the HM moves overworld view. I dont want to see black fishes and birds when i use fly and surf.
    My Pokemon Team (soulsilver)

Quote Originally Posted by Zix Serro View Post
    But 'dodge' (which I think would just be 'Defend') wouldn't necessarily always make an attack miss; it would raise the chance of the pokemon avoiding the attack, but it'd cause them to just take less damage 80% of the time (maybe more than that; the other ~20% would be dodging/avoiding attacks). So you could poison the enemy and then keep on defending, but the enemy could keep attacking and whittle you down slowly, getting you ready for the next pokemon to finish you off. It isn't perfect, but I'm not Game Freak; if they implemented it, I'm sure they'd do a better job than how I explain it.

Well the fix for that is either not letting the in-game trainers level their pokemons' moves, or level them based on your pokemons' move levels somehow. And every move would have level caps; otherwise you could theoretically make any move a OHKO. I imagine that weaker moves like Ember would be able to go up a max of five levels, while mid-level attacks like Flamethrower could go up to three... or maybe every attack goes up to five, but mid-level and high-level attacks like Fire Blast would only increase in their accuracy after a few levels or something like that. Like I said above, I'm not Game Freak, and if they implement something like this, they'd do a better job of it than how I'm explaining it.

I just think it'd make sense; take the idea of 'practice makes perfect' and put it into pokemon, so the more a pokemon uses a technique, the more proficient it becomes at using it. And they only use techniques that their trainers tell them to use, which brings up the idea of the bond between trainer and pokemon having to do with the new mechanic. The only other thing I can think of is something to do with the Happiness stat, but who knows what that could be? Stat/EV boosts if a pokemon is happy? I have no idea, but that seems foolish, like something they could've implemented back in Gen 4 or 3. I figure that if they're mentioning it now, it'll be something groundbreaking, not something related to an invisible stat.

Or it could be a total curveball, and they're gonna make attacks dual-typed, or triple-typed pokemon, which would be the stupidest thing ever. No one can really say at this point...
    I seems to me that you have missed a vital point in Pokémon. Yes, practice makes perfect! By EV training, gaining a level, learning new skills. As previously stated, ember already has an "evolution", there's no rational reason for GF to add something as attack evolution. Also, the dodging system has been implemented since day 1 of Pokémon. Its what the Accuracy and Evasion stats are for! Basically, what happens when an attack "miss" is that the opponent dodged it. The game even tell you that "… avoided the attack". I can see that you have put lots of thought into your idea, but it really isn't right for Pokémon.

Masuda's blog entry;

We are aiming to deliver genuine entertainment that can be enjoyed simultaneously by people from all over the world.

Never-before-seen Pokémon that will be discovered for the first time by people from across the globe.

Pokémon that are brought to life and look as if they are right in front you.

Stunningly dynamic Pokémon battles.

Breathtakingly beautiful visuals that take full advantage of the 3DS hardware’s power.

An innovate communication system that will make you feel connected with players from around the world as you play the game.

A new battle mechanism that allows your Pokémon to become even more powerful when the bonds you share grow stronger.
    this seems interesting actually.
    A story and music that can be enjoyed by all.

Whether this is the player’s first game, or if he or she is a veteran of the Pokémon series, our goal is to deliver genuine entertainment that will make all players smile, regardless of their age, gender, country, language, or culture.

The Pokémon series has always been more than just a game.

It’s a series that brings people together, and encourages them to get excited and have fun as if they were at a festival.

That is why I wanted to achieve my long-time dream of a worldwide simultaneous release with these new entries to the series.

Pokémon X and Pokémon Y–the evolved sixth generation of Pokémon.

Genuine entertainment that people have been waiting for is here.

October 2013.

I look forward to being able to play with everyone from around the world.

Ciao!

———————————————

Ends here.

I’m directing the game, and leading the talented team here at Game Freak.

We’re currently hard at work creating a game we think will be really something special.

Please wait until October to experience it yourself!

Ciao!

I posted here since most of his mumbo jumbos is about gameplay.

P.S: i forgot to give the blogs address lol. also try to see 1 more clue there. Hint: 1 thing every1 kind of agreed upon.

http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir_english/

I'm hoping that if they bring back Double Grass and Shaking Spots (and they probably will), that they handle the distribution better. 5th gen actually handled them pretty poorly. Double Grass was almost entirely pointless, usually it just gave you the same exact distribution at higher levels. If that's all they wanted they could've merely stuck higher level Pokemon in normal grass and call it a day. But it has much more potential than that. What it should be used for is variances based on environment and storyline progress. For instance, they could stick stronger species of Pokemon in Double Grass that is only accessible when you come back to an area later in the storyline. They have done this, actually, with Venipede on Rt. 20, but that's pretty much the only instance I can think of when they've done it, they can stand to expand on that much more. Another thing they could do is vary the Double Grass distribution based on the kinds of environments Double Grass can be found in. For instance, on Unova Rt. 13, Double Grass can only be found by surfing to a small island, so why not put tropical Pokemon there like Tropius, Shuckle and Crustle? There's a lot of missed potential with Double Grass mechanics that they're not taking advantage of, which is a shame. As for Shaking Spots, well TBH I'm not sure what to do with those. Pretty much their only use right now is for Audino training and for catching "rare" Pokemon (usually just evolutions of Pokemon already in the area). Thing is though, both of these are somewhat pointless as well. Audino wouldn't need to be in every goddamn route in the game if they didn't **** up the EXP system 5th gen so grinding on lower level Pokemon takes forever. Also, "rare" Pokemon is kind of a vague category, and Pokemon's rarities can vary based on the area. Sure, there's quite a few designated Shaking Spot Pokemon (Audino, Emolga, Dunsparce, Drillbur, Onix, Alomomola, Feebas), and there are quite a few universally rare Pokemon that could fit there (Riolu, Zorua, Eevee, Castform, Porygon, Beldum), but considering that you've got pretty much every area in the game to consider, that's not a whole lot of variety. It's quite annoying to see the same 5 Pokemon throughout the entire region, and merely including rarer evolutions is kind of uncreative. But IDK, that's about the best we can do for now, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Amanchu View Post
    A new battle mechanism that allows your Pokémon to become even more powerful when the bonds you share grow stronger.
    This honestly sounds like return is going to become more than a move based just off that, and to be honest, I really like that. I taught both my shiny Luxray and Stoutland return and I honestly like it when it just wipes out a pokemon because I feel as if it loves me (the only other way to really tell besides talking to them when they walk behind you).

Thinking about Alpha Sapphire:

Trainers from Bulbapedia (Kris from Spriters Resource),
    Gen I-IV Pokemon from The Spriters Resource, Gen 5 Pokemon from
    cSandoval on DeviantArt, Serena from tebited15 on Deviant Art,
    Gen III Pokemon from Bulbapedia

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    I seems to me that you have missed a vital point in Pokémon. Yes, practice makes perfect! By EV training, gaining a level, learning new skills. As previously stated, ember already has an "evolution", there's no rational reason for GF to add something as attack evolution. Also, the dodging system has been implemented since day 1 of Pokémon. Its what the Accuracy and Evasion stats are for! Basically, what happens when an attack "miss" is that the opponent dodged it. The game even tell you that "… avoided the attack". I can see that you have put lots of thought into your idea, but it really isn't right for Pokémon.
    How isn't it right? Yes, pokemon get stronger and learn new attacks by leveling up, but why can't the attacks they already have become more powerful as well? Think of it this way: you have a Charmander that knows Ember before you make it to a single Gym. In the beginning, it's still new to the move, so it's got a chance to miss and isn't too strong. Let's say you have it keep Ember forever for some reason, and you go up against the Elite Four with your Ember-knowin' Charizard. Yes, the attack will be powerful because the pokemon's level is higher and its stats are better from evolving, but the move's accuracy and base attack power are still the same as they were when the pokemon first learned the attack. That doesn't seem right; the more a pokemon uses an attack on different foes, the better its performance should become. It would learn to use the move more effectively; instead of merely spitting out a mass of fiery embers at the foe and hoping some of them hit, they'd be adept at streamlining the attack to do the maximum amount of damage. That way, a pokemon can keep attacks that grow with them rather than replacing them with 'evolved' versions of the attack; you could keep Bite and its ability to make enemies flinch instead of replacing it with Crunch, the attack's 'evolution', which lowers the opponent's Defense instead.

It wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world to level up attacks, though; you'd probably have to use a single attack 100 times to get it to level 2, then maybe another 200 to level 3, another 300 to level 4, and another 500 to level 5, or something along those lines. This would make you -really- need to train with your pokemon, and thus develop more of a bond with it, which is what I believe Mr. Masuda was talking about. They could even have something like the Dojo in B2/W2 where you can pay a ridiculous amount of money to level up a single attack of a single pokemon, but it would take a full day (or more) of having the pokemon taken from you by the Dojo Trainer to build the attack.

They also used double grass for Rt. 1 when travelling towards Route 18. I think they did with Pinwheel Forest when returning to head towards the place where Virzion hides. 2-3 decent uses of double grass isn't enough imo. They need to start treating double grass as something a bit more elusive. I envisage searching the entire route for one little patch of dark green where you find some rare pokemon. Or maybe they could do a Feebas and introduce a large patch of grass or one massive route with one space of double grass. So maybe 4 special patches of grass give a Zorua or something.

Or how about a 1/16,384 chance of finding a completely random pokemon including legendaries and starters.
    Cos wynaut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by BunniBear4 View Post
    This honestly sounds like return is going to become more than a move based just off that, and to be honest, I really like that. I taught both my shiny Luxray and Stoutland return and I honestly like it when it just wipes out a pokemon because I feel as if it loves me (the only other way to really tell besides talking to them when they walk behind you).
    Haha, funnily enough that 'as your bond gets stronger' (paraphrase) line from the trailer stuck out to me, but I never would've imagined it was actually hinting at a new mechanic. Kudos, Masuda! As someone who nicknames my party pokes and loves the hell out of them, I can't wait to hear more. And yes, there's nothing like a massively powerful Return to give you a good feeling

Zix - that's an interesting suggestion but - no offense to you whatsoever - I hope they don't implement that (or at least the evasion part of it) in a million years. I cannot stand the obnoxious anime tactic of 'dodge it Pikachu!'. Every time they do it I growl at the TV in disgust. There's a reason accuracy-lowering (or evasion-increasing) moves (and items like bright powder) are frowned upon and outright banned in some battling circles - it's because they're irritating as hell, and basically a cop-out. It's essentially a player saying 'my pokemon is too weak and I'm not intelligent enough to think of a way to defend or counter your attack, so I'm going to troll you until you ragequit.'

I'm one of the people who cheered when they increased Tackle's accuracy because generally only weak pokemon know that move, and it's hard enough training a frail little newbie on your team without its only decent move missing half the time. And don't get me started on how I probably would've packed pokemon in long ago if they hadn't removed the absurd 'oops! your ultra ball missed!' possibility when you threw it at a legendary.

As far as I'm concerned, accuracy is one facet of pokemon that can go die in a hole /rant
    - Hiatus Notice -

I'm sorry to do this, but I won't be posting in the Serebii Discussion Forums anymore. My account here will remain open for trading/chatting with friends, but please be patient for a reply as my visits here will be fewer.

I've left for the greener pastures of Bulbagarden Forums, where free speech is still allowed and the rules are followed by all, including those who enforce them.

It's been a fun 3 years ~

I'm really, really excited by the idea of friendship actually effecting the battles. It just gives me another reason to be attached to my Pokemon and want to be kind/ spoil them.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

Quote Originally Posted by BunniBear4 View Post
    I agree! There really Is no other move that makes me happier than a maxed out Return!
    I would like to see how this "new" mechanic is influenced by happiness. ? ? ?

All credit for the picture above goes to Sworn Metalhead.
    Feel free to add me to your Friends List, Just PM me with your FC if you do so
    Also to peak your fancy, my Friend Safari Type is Fairy, and I distribute Floette, Snubbull, and Spritzee.

3DS FC: 4270 - 1187 - 9328

Quote Originally Posted by Zix Serro View Post
    How isn't it right? Yes, pokemon get stronger and learn new attacks by leveling up, but why can't the attacks they already have become more powerful as well? Think of it this way: you have a Charmander that knows Ember before you make it to a single Gym. In the beginning, it's still new to the move, so it's got a chance to miss and isn't too strong. Let's say you have it keep Ember forever for some reason, and you go up against the Elite Four with your Ember-knowin' Charizard. Yes, the attack will be powerful because the pokemon's level is higher and its stats are better from evolving, but the move's accuracy and base attack power are still the same as they were when the pokemon first learned the attack. That doesn't seem right; the more a pokemon uses an attack on different foes, the better its performance should become. It would learn to use the move more effectively; instead of merely spitting out a mass of fiery embers at the foe and hoping some of them hit, they'd be adept at streamlining the attack to do the maximum amount of damage. That way, a pokemon can keep attacks that grow with them rather than replacing them with 'evolved' versions of the attack; you could keep Bite and its ability to make enemies flinch instead of replacing it with Crunch, the attack's 'evolution', which lowers the opponent's Defense instead.

It wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world to level up attacks, though; you'd probably have to use a single attack 100 times to get it to level 2, then maybe another 200 to level 3, another 300 to level 4, and another 500 to level 5, or something along those lines. This would make you -really- need to train with your pokemon, and thus develop more of a bond with it, which is what I believe Mr. Masuda was talking about. They could even have something like the Dojo in B2/W2 where you can pay a ridiculous amount of money to level up a single attack of a single pokemon, but it would take a full day (or more) of having the pokemon taken from you by the Dojo Trainer to build the attack.
    I highly doubt gamefreak would do this. I think you should just give this a rest, because this doesn't really sound right for pokemon.

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by BBtheASH View Post
    I agree! There really Is no other move that makes me happier than a maxed out Return!
    I would like to see how this "new" mechanic is influenced by happiness. ? ? ?
    It's a bit of a long shot, but it could be a new part to add to competitive battling. Maybe happy Pokemon give slightly better stats, so that along with EV training and IV breeding, there could be an entirely new mechanic to take into consideration.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

Quote Originally Posted by SasakiThePikachu View Post
    Zix - that's an interesting suggestion but - no offense to you whatsoever - I hope they don't implement that (or at least the evasion part of it) in a million years. I cannot stand the obnoxious anime tactic of 'dodge it Pikachu!'. Every time they do it I growl at the TV in disgust. There's a reason accuracy-lowering (or evasion-increasing) moves (and items like bright powder) are frowned upon and outright banned in some battling circles - it's because they're irritating as hell, and basically a cop-out. It's essentially a player saying 'my pokemon is too weak and I'm not intelligent enough to think of a way to defend or counter your attack, so I'm going to troll you until you ragequit.'

I'm one of the people who cheered when they increased Tackle's accuracy because generally only weak pokemon know that move, and it's hard enough training a frail little newbie on your team without its only decent move missing half the time. And don't get me started on how I probably would've packed pokemon in long ago if they hadn't removed the absurd 'oops! your ultra ball missed!' possibility when you threw it at a legendary.

As far as I'm concerned, accuracy is one facet of pokemon that can go die in a hole /rant
    Not offended in the slightest. I'm thinking about how people are always saying "I wish the battles were just like the ones in the anime!" (without realizing, of course, that every battle in the anime is scripted and one-sided, and that the anime is total bullsh** anyway), and how making individual moves more powerful the more a pokemon uses them and adding some kind of way to defend to take less damage or potentially avoid attacks would be a way to do that without making it the anime system. And if, after one generation, it turns out to be a terrible mechanic that makes the game too difficult for anyone, they can just take it out and replace it with something more fair.

Speaking of that, I would kind of love for them to make a single game with the anime's battle system, just so that all the people that want it could see how terrible it is to have your enemy dodge your attack, then hit your pokemon with three attacks in a row while it's weakened. But that'd be a Colosseum/XD side-game, I'd imagine. That's just my sadistic nature, I suppose; give people what they want to teach them that they actually don't want it. But that's not going to be this, I don't think.

It may have something to do with happiness, like I said before. I just can't imagine what that could be.

Quote Originally Posted by zomegax7249 View Post
    I highly doubt gamefreak would do this. I think you should just give this a rest, because this doesn't really sound right for pokemon.
    It's all just speculation. I'm allowed to go into detail about a potential mechanic that I think might be interesting for the new games to have; that's the point of this whole thread, isn't it?

You know what I'd love to see? A low-powered, Normal-type Special attack which would be essentially the Special equivalent of Tackle or Pound. That way, Pokémon with greater Special Atk wouldn't have to start out using a Physical move.

Dratini is my bishie.
    Faria: God said, "Vengeance is mine".
    Dantes: I don't believe in God.
    Faria: It doesn't matter. He believes in you.
    deviantart/sprites/twitter/tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Aurath8 View Post
    They also used double grass for Rt. 1 when travelling towards Route 18. I think they did with Pinwheel Forest when returning to head towards the place where Virzion hides.
    I forgot about Rt. 1. Pinwheel Forest wasn't, though, it had the same families as the normal grass except with evolved Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurath8 View Post
    2-3 decent uses of double grass isn't enough imo. They need to start treating double grass as something a bit more elusive. I envisage searching the entire route for one little patch of dark green where you find some rare pokemon. Or maybe they could do a Feebas and introduce a large patch of grass or one massive route with one space of double grass. So maybe 4 special patches of grass give a Zorua or something.
    That's what Shaking Spots are for. I don't think Double Grass should be treated the same way, the whole point of it is to allow stronger types of Pokemon in the same area, and they can't accomplish that if Double Grass is significantly rarer.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

I dont know, wether someone already said this, but it would be cool, if IVs (not EVs) would be "removed".
    A PKMN would reach its full potential (31 in every stat), by a very strong friendship or a high level or something else.
    There are so many cheaters/RNG abusers out there and this would even the odds, cause it would be all about strategy then.
    There are so many games and other things you could do in your free time than IV breeding or soft resetting, maybe Nintendo will actually see that.
    Then again, I always watch TV or do stuff while I IV breed or soft reset
    On the everlasting quest to get a good, unhacked, uncloned and not RNG abused Event-Entei.

X FC: 4527-7554-6594

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Belmont View Post
    There are so many cheaters/RNG abusers out there and this would even the odds, cause it would be all about strategy then.
    It's already all about strategy... what you propose doesn't change that. Not only that, people can still cheat to raise the value to max.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    It's already all about strategy... what you propose doesn't change that. Not only that, people can still cheat to raise the value to max.
    PKMN with bad IVs are not helpful and can hinder your strategy.
    On the everlasting quest to get a good, unhacked, uncloned and not RNG abused Event-Entei.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerneas View Post
    PKMN with bad IVs are not helpful and can hinder your strategy.
    Yes, and how does that change if you make it by level or Happiness? That completely removes all strategy, all you need to do is level up the Pokemon. No strategy in that.

The strategy is how you use your Pokemon, what Natures they've got, what moves you've taught them and what your team is.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

How about being enabled to upload battle videos on the Pokemon Global Link or the Nintendo Network?

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Yes, and how does that change if you make it by level or Happiness? That completely removes all strategy, all you need to do is level up the Pokemon. No strategy in that.

The strategy is how you use your Pokemon, what Natures they've got, what moves you've taught them and what your team is.
    A PKMN has set IVs once its captured or bred, meaning its IVs will stay bad, they are not changeable.
    Where is the strategy in soft resetting or IV breeding, all you do is giving a PKMN a power item and an everstone and then press left and right for hours -.-
    Also, by saying it would be all about strategy then, I meant battling not bredding and stuff.
    A PKMN can still have different natures and different moves, as well as teammates, if IVs are "removed".

Page 52 of 526 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast