Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Whi-Two get a "Starter"?

Default Should Whi-Two get a "Starter"?

Title pretty much says it all. Do you guys think Whi-Two is fine with Foongus, or should she get a "starter Pokemon".

I personally think she should get a different Pokemon, mainly because Foongus looks so out of place when you compare her main Pokemon with the other Pokedex holder's "starter Pokemon". As for what it should be, maybe Gigi because of it's weakness to Lack-Two's Dewott.

I think she should get a starter Pokemon because most of them always turn into something neat! As a main character, I think they always could use something strong to help progress their journey and reach their goals.

I'm fine with Foongus. Besides all of the Unova starters are taken. So I'm not sure how she could get a "starter" pokemon

Yea, I think Whi-two will be get Gigi.

Then Y just can be reasonable to own Froakie.

If yo count the spin-off games, Whi-two already has a Starter. Tamagetake (Foongus) is a Starting Pokémon in Pokédex 3D.
    Anime... PAAWAA!!!

That means absolutely nothing.

If you mean Tepig, Oshawott, or Snivy, then yes. Whi-Two is based off Rosa and is a playable character. We already have two sets of Unova Starters and I don't believe Gigi/Bubu-Chan has a clear owner right now. You could easily have Whi-Two obtain Gigi and they both try to look for their former Team Plasma King, N. That could be their story in BW2. I don't care if Gigi doesn't evolve. That's really not important to me, but I do feel Whi-Two should have a starter. PokeSpecial seems to think that by having a Pokedex and a Starter you are a official main character. Whi-Two should not get less then Lack-Two. And let's be honest, Lack-Two is more then likely going to get more then Whi-Two storyline wise anyway. I won't complain if she doesn't get a starter. I'll just shake my head and she'll become a half Wally. She'll probably get a Pokedex, but the Starter is questionable. And I can't see her being part of some big Dexholder reunion final attack with a Foongus, should we ever get another Dexholder reunion. And don't anyone bring up Yellow and Pikachu.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    That means absolutely nothing.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    And I can't see her being part of some big Dexholder reunion final attack with a Foongus, should we ever get another Dexholder reunion. And don't anyone bring up Yellow and Pikachu.
    Kusaka could easily invent a new move for this. He already made three of those, even if he later retconned one of them into one of the game moves.
    Anime... PAAWAA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by G-SANtos View Post
    Why?

Kusaka could easily invent a new move for this. He already made three of those, even if he later retconned one of them into one of the game moves.
    Foongus is not a starter and not iconic at all to warrant such a role in a Dexholder reunion like Pikachu and the starters are. Pikachu actually is a starter now. Foongus will never be considered a starter and is not on the level of the Unova starters in terms of importance by image. That sounds harsh but it's the truth.

Foongus is not a starter and not iconic at all to warrant such a role in a Dexholder reunion like Pikachu and the starters are. Pikachu actually is a starter now. Foongus will never be considered a starter and is not on the level of the Unova starters in terms of importance by image. That sounds harsh but it's the truth.
    It is a Starter in Pokédex 3D, and last year's winner of... a tournament, can't remember which one, won using an Amoongus. Is that enough?

Plus, even if it's not as popular as the Starters, it's her official pokémon now, and appears in the arc's official art, that seems enough for it to fill a Starter role in the manga.
    Anime... PAAWAA!!!

It is a Starter in Pokédex 3D, and last year's winner of... a tournament, can't remember which one, won using an Amoongus. Is that enough?

Plus, even if it's not as popular as the Starters, it's her official pokémon now, and appears in the arc's official art, that seems enough for it to fill a Starter role in the manga.
    Winning a tournament doesn't make a Pokemon a Starter. It's not something that can be won. As far as Pokedex 3D, what does that have to do with PokeSpecial?

Almost every Dexholder have a Pokemon that they had before having a Starter and Pokedex. That doesn't make Foongus a Starter. That puts it in Poliwhirl, Rattata, Jigglypuff, Munchlax status of be a Pokemon a main character had prior to becoming a Dexholder. Still doesn't put Foongus in the same category as Tepig and the others. Not trying to be mean, just being real here.

I dunno, I guess her having a starter would be nice. Though I can somewhat understand with the triangle being White/Black/Lack-two in-similar vein to Gold/Silver/Crys or Platinum/Pearl/Diamond. But since she has a PokeDex, a starter would make sense. White has Amanda and Gigi, I could easily see one of them going to her. Gigi most likely as they likely wouldn't have Black and White overlap like that, so I could see her with Gigi who chooses to stay unevolved. Foongus is more of the pre-starter Pokemon nearly every PokeSpe character has, like Rattata, Poliwhirl, Scyther, Aron, Skitty/Poocheyena/Ralts, you get the idea. Starter Pokemon aren't simply given to every trainer nor is a PokeDex in PokeSpe. You are simply an anomaly in-game and the characters are in PokeSpe, they are very lucky to have the starter Pokemon and a PokeDex. Both are treated as something amazing and starters are often portrayed to be somewhat more regal and stronger Pokemon than regular ones. Starters usually end up overrunning their senior teammates in strength and importance throughout the course of PokeSpe as well.

Winning a tournament doesn't make a Pokemon a Starter. It's not something that can be won.
    I was responding to the importance part. It is a tournament-winning Pokémon, if I'm remembering correctly, and Kusaka could be catering to Tournament watchers, or maybe he simply likes the Pokémon.

As far as Pokedex 3D, what does that have to do with PokeSpecial?
    What do Pokémon Snap, Pokémon Box, and My Pokémon Ranch have to do with PokéSpe?

Almost every Dexholder have a Pokemon that they had before having a Starter and Pokedex. That doesn't make Foongus a Starter. That puts it in Poliwhirl, Rattata, Jigglypuff, Munchlax status of be a Pokemon a main character had prior to becoming a Dexholder.
    And how many of those appeared in an arc's official promo image? Heck, not even XY's poster does this, even though the Starters still don't belong to anyone, and Fokko is not even around. BW2 so far treats Tamagetake as her main Pokémon, and the magazine chapters didn't bother giving her a Starter Pokémon, not even a Pikachu or Eevee, or Emolga which is Isshu's Pikachu equivalent, even though Lack-Two's only Pokémon is a Starter.

Considering everything above, until we see Whi-Two owning an official Starter, we must assume PokéSpe is treating Tamagetake as one.
    Last edited by G-SANtos; 30th April 2014 at 5:25 PM.
    Anime... PAAWAA!!!

I was responding to the importance part. It is a tournament-winning Pokémon, if I'm remembering correctly, and Kusaka could be catering to Tournament watchers, or maybe he simply likes the Pokémon.

What do Pokémon Snap, Pokémon Box, and My Pokémon Ranch have to do with PokéSpe?

And how many of those appeared in an arc's official promo image? Heck, not even XY's poster does this, even though the Starters still don't belong to anyone, and Fokko is not even around. BW2 so far treats Tamagetake as her main Pokémon, and the magazine chapters didn't bother giving her a Starter Pokémon, not even a Pikachu or Eevee, or Emolga which is Isshu's Pikachu equivalent, even though Lack-Two's only Pokémon is a Starter.

Considering everything above, until we see Whi-Two owning an official Starter, we must assume PokéSpe is treating Tamagetake as one.
    Hey, if Kusaka is catering to a tournament then good for him. That's wonderful. There's nothing wrong with Foongus as a Pokemon. It's just not a Starter. I have no problem with Whi-Two getting a Foongus. But it's not a Starter. Foongus can be put in a million art official promo images but it won't make it a Starter. They probably put Foongus in that artwork so Whi-Two isn't Pokemon-less in the artwork. But that doesn't make Foongus a official Pokemon Starter. It makes it a pre-Starter like Doryuzu said. I don't hate Foongus or anything, but it's not a Starter. We're not going to see Foongus in the category of Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Emboar, Serperior, and all those other official Starters. It's category is probably going to be with the pre-Starters and there is nothing wrong with that.

And my entire argument in this whole thing is Whi-Two will be cheated if she's the only playable character representing a main game that doesn't obtain one of the Starters, especially when we have two sets of Unova Starters and Foongus is not one of them. No disrespect to Foongus. If Lack-Two can get a Unova Starter then why can't Whi-Two?

I agree, Foongus isn't a starter and can not be included with the starters. I don't think Black, White and Lack-two make up the Unova trio cuz in that case, going by the tradition, X would get Froakie. The only person to get an unofficial starter is Yellow and she is quite different from the dex holders. She didn't officially get a pokedex from Professor Oak, she uses Red's old one and Pikachu is the mascot and was the starter in Yellow so that could make some sense. Foongus wasn't a starter in White2 and definitely isn't a mascot for Unova or anything to make it a character's "starter"
    As for the artworks, they probably didn't want to spoil anything and so used Foongus as a filler Pokemon in the artwork
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!
    Get yours from

Just think how weird it would be if Cheren, Bianca, N and Cedric all used Unova starters and in the end Whi-Two still didn't get any even though she's a main character and those people aren't. Yeah, she will get one. First Pokémon are very important to their trainers, but they can't beat the status of a starter Pokémon.

You could also think if there's any other reason for Foongus in particular to be Whi-Two's Pokémon. It has the shape of a Poké Ball on it, the one thing that Team Plasma hates. Kinda ironic, isn't it?

Or it's just coincidence and they just slapped it on her randomly.

You're free to assume so, but no one else is obliged to follow your thinking.

Foongus can be put in a million art official promo images but it won't make it a Starter.
    Only Starters and legendaries appear in these. The only exception so far was Platinum's promo, but it still had a Starter on it, and only one main character.
    BW2's promo image has both main characters, and only two Pokémon, Futachimaru and Tamagetake. If Tamagetake is not being considered a Starter here, then you don't have "at least one Starter per main character" thing that all promo images had.

They totally could have given her a Starter in the magazine chapters. But they chose not to. There must be a meaning to that. It just seems... that Kusaka simply doesn't want to give Whi-Two a traditional Starter.

Plus, Tamagetake is a Starter in Pokédex 3D, so it is a Starter somewhere. That's unorthodox, but it must count for something, right?

And my entire argument in this whole thing is Whi-Two will be cheated if she's the only playable character representing a main game that doesn't obtain one of the Starters, especially when we have two sets of Unova Starters and Foongus is not one of them. No disrespect to Foongus. If Lack-Two can get a Unova Starter then why can't Whi-Two?
    Mitsuru also got cheated being the first rival to not be a main character. Heck, we even have hystorical evidence that he was meant to be the third Holder. Yet, Kusaka went "lol nope" at the last minute and stripped him of his Dex and Starter and gave it to a random boy just to fix the "hey, I'm giving a Pokédex to an unseen kid in the last chapter of GSC, and this kid never appears again" phot hole, which was not even a plot hole as they could have just said "just this time, I decided to make more than three of them" (which we are having now in BW2 anyway), and perhaps bring up the "mysterious Holder" during a reunion arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    Foongus is more of the pre-starter Pokemon nearly every PokeSpe character has, like Rattata, Poliwhirl, Scyther, Aron, Skitty/Poocheyena/Ralts, you get the idea.

[...]

[S]tarters are often portrayed to be somewhat more regal and stronger Pokemon than regular ones. Starters usually end up overrunning their senior teammates in strength and importance throughout the course of PokeSpe as well.
    Whi-Two's Tamagetake is explicitly unusually strong, and so far we have only seen him fighting enemies he had type-disadvantages against, and winning. He even debuts defeating an opponent that had double advantage over him. Does this count as Starter-tier?

Quote Originally Posted by ReiZerou View Post
    Just think how weird it would be if Cheren, Bianca, N and Cedric all used Unova starters and in the end Whi-Two still didn't get any even though she's a main character and those people aren't. Yeah, she will get one.
    She already has one. Tamagetake is a Starter in Pokédex 3D. It's just not a traditional Starter.

Quote Originally Posted by ReiZerou View Post
    You could also think if there's any other reason for Foongus in particular to be Whi-Two's Pokémon. It has the shape of a Poké Ball on it, the one thing that Team Plasma hates. Kinda ironic, isn't it?
    Yeah, it's a Pokémon with a Monster Ball shape on it.
    Wait. You're right. It does have a Monster Ball on it.
    That's it! They ran out of Starters, so they picked a Pokémon that had the franchise's symbol on it! In a way, this is BW2's Pikachu. This is Whi-Two's Pika!

ReiZerou, you're a genius!
    Last edited by G-SANtos; 1st May 2014 at 12:46 AM.
    Anime... PAAWAA!!!

Only Starters and legendaries appear in these. The only exception so far was Platinum's promo, but it still had a Starter on it, and only one main character.
    BW2's promo image has both main characters, and only two Pokémon, Futachimaru and Tamagetake. If Tamagetake is not being considered a Starter here, then you don't have "at least one Starter per main character" thing that all promo images had.

They totally could have given her a Starter in the magazine chapters. But they chose not to. There must be a meaning to that. It just seems... that Kusaka simply doesn't want to give Whi-Two a traditional Starter.

Plus, Tamagetake is a Starter in Pokédex 3D, so it is a Starter somewhere. That's unorthodox, but it must count for something, right?

Mitsuru also got cheated being the first rival to not be a main character. Heck, we even have hystorical evidence that he was meant to be the third Holder. Yet, Kusaka went "lol nope" at the last minute and stripped him of his Dex and Starter and gave it to a random boy just to fix the "hey, I'm giving a Pokédex to an unseen kid in the last chapter of GSC, and this kid never appears again" phot hole, which was not even a plot hole as they could have just said "just this time, I decided to make more than three of them" (which we are having now in BW2 anyway), and perhaps bring up the "mysterious Holder" during a reunion arc.

Whi-Two's Tamagetake is explicitly unusually strong, and so far we have only seen him fighting enemies he had type-disadvantages against, and winning. He even debuts defeating an opponent that had double advantage over him. Does this count as Starter-tier?

She already has one. Tamagetake is a Starter in Pokédex 3D. It's just not a traditional Starter.

Yeah, it's a Pokémon with a Monster Ball shape on it.
    Wait. You're right. It does have a Monster Ball on it.
    That's it! They ran out of Starters, so they picked a Pokémon that had the franchise's symbol on it! In a way, this is BW2's Pikachu. This is Whi-Two's Pika!

ReiZerou, you're a genius!
    Brenden and May were the real rivals in Ruby and Sapphire. Wally doesn't get a Starter in the games either. That's hardly groundbreaking. It's only a big deal because Kusaka tried to make Wally a Dexholder and then backed off and demoted him for Emerald. This is not the same situation with Whi-Two who deserves a real Starter if only because she's the female face of BW2. If she doesn't get a Starter, then fine. The Starter tradition will officially be broken if she doesn't. Not that I care about that. But no matter what, Foongus is not a Starter. I don't even know why we're debating something like this. Foongus will not be treated as if it were Emboar, Samurott, or Serperior. I don't know anyone who would ever consider Foongus in the same category as the Unova Starters.

Seriously, stop with this. Next you'll be arguing that Hydreigon is a Starter Pokemon.

Brenden and May were the real rivals in Ruby and Sapphire.
    Well, not exactly. Wally shares some more similarities with the other rivals in the series than Brendan/May do (like how Wally can be rematched in the post-game). But it doesn't matter at all since their both rivals.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

I might be a little biased because I like poison types, but I dont think she needs a starter.

Just like what G-santos said, Foongus has the franchise's symbol. Even if its not a normal starter in the main games, it still is a starter in a spin-off. Besides, Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott are already owned by Black, White, and Lack-Two.
    Maybe they'll make an exception with Whi-Two.

Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Silicone View Post
    I might be a little biased because I like poison types, but I dont think she needs a starter.

Just like what G-santos said, Foongus has the franchise's symbol. Even if its not a normal starter in the main games, it still is a starter in a spin-off. Besides, Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott are already owned by Black, White, and Lack-Two.
    Maybe they'll make an exception with Whi-Two.

Just my 2 cents
    Read my post. Next you'll be arguing that Hydreigon counts as a Starter.

Pokedex 3d isn't a real game since it's just a list of pokemon information with some animations. Even the pokemon ranger, mystery dungeon games, and the rattata in rumble would have a better argument for being real starters then the pokedex 3d stuff do.

Well then read mine too. We're talking about Foongus, a pokemon that looks like a Pokeball, which represents the whole franchise. Not Hydreigon. You posted that two times in this thread already. And back to my point about there being 3 trainers who have each of the Unova starters already.

Well I think we should have a dex holder owning a volt orb then, cuz it is a pokeball. I'll say it again, Lack-two is not part of a trio with Black and White and Whi-two isn't Yellow. They're the next generation of dex holders (if that makes sense) just like the Johto dex holders were to the Kanto ones, and X getting Chespin kinda proves it. Plus there is Gigi, who can easily go to Whi-two as she doesn't really have a trainer right now. N supposedly returned her to White but she signed her as N's pokemon.
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!
    Get yours from

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast