Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Have Brock's chances of a cameo in BW dwindled?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Well I counted and there's only 36 weeks till October...not counting any skipped weeks like in the summer.
    Probably not all of them will center around Plasma and N so if they wanted, they could squeeze a Brock episode in there.

Where's Gary's cameo dangit! Ashes true rival!!! Childhood friend!!! I don't care if hes a professor now!!!

I'd like to see brock make a cameo. I liked brock. He was a cool dude and was probably the most down to earth of all of them. He was a really good mold breaker from Ash and gave me something to look at when I didn't want someone that's hyper. He complimented ash quite well as in the way that he kinda kept Ash on the ground and with a level head. This especially shows in the Silver Conference when he helps Ash study for his and Gary's battle and tries to keep him focused.
    Last edited by Dragoniss; 11th January 2013 at 6:46 AM.

NNID: Antagonistgreen | 3DS FC: 4727-5570-4170

Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch | Deviant Art | Miiverse
    Palletshipping | Cafemochashipping | Namelessshipping

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Staff View Post
    Any character has and would warn Ash against danger, Misty would do so often and so have other characters on the show. As for Brock's 'growth', he hasn't really exhibited any signs of such, actually. I mean, he was always 'compassionate' and 'understanding' since his first appearance due to him having taken care of his family and then taking care of Ash and Misty throughout Kanto after that. He didn't really undergo any sort of character arc since he tended to remain in the same limbo he always was in. But yes, keeping in the role of older caretaker, as you wrote, did end up degrading him further since they never chose to do more with him than that.
    Maybe so, but Brock was always much more mature and wise than any other companion with ability to think rationally and intelligence being one of his defining characteristics. When people think of older brother figure who loook after Ash and co trying to prevent them from acting recklessly and go in danger they usually think of Brock.

Also regarding growth there exists various types of development. Growth isn't only something which happens through story arcs causing direct change, but all those subtle changes which happen gradually over time making characters learn new things, evolve and solve issues over time.

We can see Brock enriched his knowledge learning how to be better breeder by exchanging tips with others, learning how to prepare new type of food or medicine. He learned how to take care of sick pokemon in crisis situations improving as pokemon caretaker. Resolved dissidence and issues with his family becoming more understanding to their drop outs, along with bonding more with them like Forest. He went through soul searching not being sure what he wants to do in life with interest for doctor carer already showing to exist in Hoenn eventually facing dilemma whether to continue be a breeder or pursue doctor career etc.

I will agree how change through which Brock went wasn't big like its case with some other characters, but he still experienced some subtle changes.

Showing there was more to character than just usual caretaker role and chasing after girls people use to remember him for.

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Staff View Post
    It's funny how you keep replying to this and basically talking down to me for pointing out that Brock just is not popular or important enough to the anime series as whole to warrant a cameo or a full return. Just because he has a (in the minority at this point) fanbase, does not mean he's suddenly a character that deserves recognition just because he was in the show for years and apparently some kids were 'influenced/inspired/impacted' by a fictional character.
    If Brock wasn't valuable to writers or popular he wouldn't be returned after Orange Islands hiatus nor he would stay for so long. He was important to pokemon series in sense of helping Ash a lot in his growth when starting out, was like a father figure taking care of group and navigating their way to new gyms or places, brought stability to group as well humor and good dynamic having several memorable moments.

Every person is going to perceive character in different way with things like appeal, relevance or entertainment value often being highly subjective with every individual having different standards of what can be considered interesting or bland.

Whether he makes cameo or not cannot be used as indication for nothing, because even one of most popular characters in this show after departure and one obligatory cameo never got to return again(Misty and May are basically forgotten, same faith expects Dawn). In fact lack of Brock appearance can also be annotated as writers way of finding how his long stay lasting much longer than any other companions compensates for it already.

Not to mention we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves yet because there is plenty of time in future for Brock to come back. For example Jessibelle was anything but popular yet writers brought her back after 11 years of absence for cameo in DP, and if such minor character could get appearance its safe to say how Brock might as well.

I can agree how Brock isn't popular like Ash, TR, Misty, May etc are but he still has respectably big following with many people growing to like him over the years.

There is no way to reliably measure how much Brock character is popular, nor handful of people you see on forums are indication through which such things can be based. Since fans on pokemon sites are small minority being only small drop in sea of fandom which is measured in millions.

Not to mention out of all members who joined serebii for example only handful of them is active in anime section.

That said im sure you will disagree as always, so way i see it further discussion about this would be pretty pointless only wasting each other time.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 11th January 2013 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Maybe so, but Brock was always much more mature and wise than any other companion with ability to think rationally and intelligence being one of his defining characteristics. When people think of older brother figure who loook after Ash and co trying to prevent them from acting recklessly and go in danger they usually think of Brock.

Also regarding growth there exists various types of development. Growth isn't only something which happens through story arcs causing direct change, but all those subtle changes which happen gradually over time making characters learn new things, evolve and solve issues over time.

We can see Brock enriched his knowledge learning how to be better breeder by exchanging tips with others, learning how to prepare new type of food or medicine. He learned how to take care of sick pokemon in crisis situations improving as pokemon caretaker. Resolved dissidence and issues with his family becoming more understanding to their drop outs, along with bonding more with them like Forest. He went through soul searching not being sure what he wants to do in life with interest for doctor carer already showing to exist in Hoenn eventually facing dilemma whether to continue be a breeder or pursue doctor career etc.

I will agree how change through which Brock went wasn't big like its case with some other characters, but he still experienced some subtle changes.

Showing there was more to character than just usual caretaker role and chasing after girls people use to remember him for.

If Brock wasn't valuable to writers or popular he wouldn't be returned after Orange Islands hiatus nor he would stay for so long. He was important to pokemon series in sense of helping Ash a lot in his growth when starting out, was like a father figure taking care of group and navigating their way to new gyms or places, brought stability to group as well humor and good dynamic having several memorable moments.

Every person is going to perceive character in different way with things like appeal, relevance or entertainment value often being highly subjective with every individual having different standards of what can be considered interesting or bland.

Whether he makes cameo or not cannot be used as indication for nothing, because even one of most popular characters in this show after departure and one obligatory cameo never got to return again. In fact lack of Brock appearance can also be annotated as writers way of finding how his long stay lasting much longer than any other companions compensates for it already.

Not to mention we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves yet because there is plenty of time in future for Brock to come back. For example Jessibelle was anything but popular yet writers brought her back after 11 years of absence for cameo in DP, and if such minor character could get appearance its safe to say how Brock might as well.

I can agree how Brock maybe isn't popular like Ash, TR, Misty, May etc are but he still has respectably big following with many people growing to like him over the years.

There is no way to reliably measure how much Brock character is popular, nor handful of people you see on forums are indication through which such things can be based. Since fans on pokemon sites are small minority being only small drop in sea of fandom which is measured in millions.

Not to mention out of all members who joined serebii for example only handful of them is active in anime section.

That said im sure you will disagree as always, so way i see it further discussion about this would be pretty pointless only wasting each other time.
    You really don't get it. There's no way to 'conclusively' see how popular he is, only by observation and using what's around like poll results that I've seen on forums such as this. The fact of the matter is that no, Brock isn't popular nor is important to the show. Oh, and yeah, bring up Orange Islands which happened over a decade ago when Brock was actually relevant. Dude, I am tired of repeating myself to you. Just stop bringing this back up. If this dumb debate is so meaningful to you, then PM me about it at this point. God.
    Last edited by Super-Staff; 11th January 2013 at 11:51 AM.

I can see Brock having a cameo similar to how Misty had her second cameo when Ash came home to Kanto from Hoenn. I do dread that happening though, as Ash will be setting off on another adventure imminently, and that could be a handy way for the writers to shoehorn him back in to the main cast.

He probably won't come back again. He's at most getting a cameo in Episode N, or even none (if Dawn's flashback count). Honestly speaking, I don't see why Brock should be in Unova at all. I mean, the writers can throw a random loop and say "oh brock came to unova because of this this this, and he bumped into ash zomg!" But that'd be as meaningless as giving a random character a cameo. As much of a Donphan I am, Dawn probably won't appear until a Pallet Town final hurrah (if there's one), and that would probably apply to Misty and May. Sad truth... Soon Iris shall fall into the jar of thrown away female co-stars XD

EDIT:

Realised Max also got only one non-speaking cameo in Strategy with a smile and Tracey was never very important in cameos... So yeah, Brock's chance of a speaking role might not be very high, still possible though. I'm neutral about Brock for a cameo :3
    Last edited by OceanicLanturn; 11th January 2013 at 2:29 PM.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Brock really doesn't need a cameo if you look at it. He already had quite a few and he had been on for years. He doesn't need anymore than one or two episodes.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Soda Pop View Post
    I can see Brock having a cameo similar to how Misty had her second cameo when Ash came home to Kanto from Hoenn. I do dread that happening though, as Ash will be setting off on another adventure imminently, and that could be a handy way for the writers to shoehorn him back in to the main cast.
    What actually gives you this impression?

It would be nice if when Ash gets home from Unova he had a welcome party back at home and we got to see everyone who ever travelled with him and all of his Pokemon in one episode before he travels to gen 6. I know this won't happen but I would like it if it did.

Quote Originally Posted by AhTreyYou View Post
    It would be nice if when Ash gets home from Unova he had a welcome party back at home and we got to see everyone who ever travelled with him and all of his Pokemon in one episode before he travels to gen 6. I know this won't happen but I would like it if it did.
    Agreed. I'd just like if we had SOME sort of reunion episode, which DP didn't have. My personal feeling is that there could have been one more episode in between DP and BW (they had a one-week break then too), and they could have moved the 'travel to Unova' part to the very end of the episode, as I felt there was about half an episode's worth that they could have put in. I think having reserves in the Sinnoh League made up for the fact we weren't going to have one.

My preference is for just something, so we can see his old Pokemon and dare I say it some older characters, Tracey, perhaps Misty along with him mwaha, Dawn's in Johto so a possibility, and who knows what May is doing, surely her Johto campaign's long-finished, but I would like to see her the most.
    {Insert signature here}

I think the Pallet town reunion eps are done. Even the one at the end of AG didn't really feel like one, it was just Ash battling Gary and Oak/Delia seeing him off.

I think the Pallet town reunion eps are done. Even the one at the end of AG didn't really feel like one, it was just Ash battling Gary and Oak/Delia seeing him off.
    In fairness Cyber, they had already had one at the end of the actual Hoenn saga, more than one in a series would be overdoing it for me. 'Home is Where the Start Is' was more about May and Max leaving the cast for me. I don't think they're done in the true sense of the word, and whilst I would love to see a full-on one at the end of every series I'd be happy with more abbreviated ones, without Team Rocket doing they're usual thing.

Edit: To answer the topic: A reunion episode is in my opinion Brock's only chance at a cameo, given he's not only in Kanto, but studying and definitely not travelling. So he may wish to visit him with the chance, but I do not think he will appear in Episode N.
    Last edited by pokeaussie37; 12th January 2013 at 4:17 AM.
    {Insert signature here}

Quote Originally Posted by pokeaussie37 View Post
    In fairness Cyber, they had already had one at the end of the actual Hoenn saga, more than one in a series would be overdoing it for me. 'Home is Where the Start Is' was more about May and Max leaving the cast for me. I don't think they're done in the true sense of the word, and whilst I would love to see a full-on one at the end of every series I'd be happy with more abbreviated ones, without Team Rocket doing they're usual thing.
    They're not going to go through the trouble of contacting the old voices in Japan for a single episode. There's no reason to expect it.

They're not going to go through the trouble of contacting the old voices in Japan for a single episode. There's no reason to expect it.
    I wouldn't put it past them, for a one-off thing like that it wouldn't be difficult, and money talks.
    {Insert signature here}

Quote Originally Posted by pokeaussie37 View Post
    I wouldn't put it past them, for a one-off thing like that it wouldn't be difficult, and money talks.
    Some of those characters haven't had roles in the anime for years. And I severely doubt Iris or Cilan will visit Pallet.

Some of those characters haven't had roles in the anime for years. And I severely doubt Iris or Cilan will visit Pallet.
    Sure, on the face of it it's for sentimental value, and honestly I don't see them doing one. Not even to see old Pokemon! It wouldn't be sentimental value for said voice actors to come back for a brief stint though.

I indeed doubt that as well. If anything, it will be older characters, Oak and Tracey for obvious reasons, his mother, and maybe Dawn. As much as I would love May or Misty those two are by far more unlikely.
    {Insert signature here}

Dawn's cameo just ended. I don't see her randomly showing up at Pallet, especially with her contest journey still going.

The only reason we keep seeing Tracey is because he works for Oak. He's not even considered an "older main character' anymore, he's just there.

This is news to me, since when did Brock have a chance to be showcased? I though we left that back in diamond and pearl with that episode they gave him.

The World God Only knows

Quote Originally Posted by zeno48 View Post
    This is news to me, since when did Brock have a chance to be showcased? I though we left that back in diamond and pearl with that episode they gave him.
    We did. It's just that the same people keep bringing him up just like all of those 'old characters need to return threads". It needs to be given a rest.

My ideal battle ever!

When Ash does go back to Kanto, I wonder if he'd appear at Ash's house for a brief cameo? Or would it end like DP, with Ash just running towards his house?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Aker View Post
    When Ash does go back to Kanto, I wonder if he'd appear at Ash's house for a brief cameo? Or would it end like DP, with Ash just running towards his house?
    Hopefully we'll get a brief cameo of him in Pallet Town along with where Ash brings his Unova Pokemon back to Oak's lab so that they could meet his others.
    Owner of the Dawn/Hikari Fanclub v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios* View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but female anime characters are generally talked about more than males except for main starring males.
    Not really. In Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon, the males are talked about more than the females usually.

Brock got a cameo...

...At least his green jacket did in that "Mistralton" Tower episode.

We've had two cameos and a reference to Brock already. Two flashbacks and his clothing. Whether we see him in person is whether we see him have a reunion back at Pallet.

I don't think we're going to see him now. Episode N's opening did not have a character montage of Ash's older friends, so that tells me nobody else will be appearing.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast