Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 6th Generation Announced! Hopes? Fears?

Hybrid View

Default 6th Generation Announced! Hopes? Fears?

So, the 6th Generation of Pokémon, with games Pokémon X and Y have been announced for a global release in October this year, on 3DS, I add with much elation.

So, although we can't really discuss what this will mean for the competitive metagame as yet, we can discuss what we're hoping or fearing for with the new games.

So, with a whole new set of Pokémon and presumably Moves, Items and Abilities, what are you hoping or fearing for in the Generation 6?

Helpful Links
    (Fear not, they're all in English)

Iwata's Announcement on 'Pokémon Direct': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzO6J981nAw

Trailer #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=RSVPuN5sb8k
    Hey Serebii, how you doing? Not sure how many of you guys from way back are out there, but just to let you know that I'm back, though I'm not sure how regularly I'll be on. Thanks for everything, and I hope I can continue to enjoy my time here!

3DS Friend Code: 2105 - 8928 - 6860

Looking for any breedable flawless Pokemon!

Simple personal hopes, I hope they (for keeping online 3ds battles relevant seeing how hacking the 3ds could be quite the challenge) bring back the auto level 100 feature. Not so much a metagame impact as much as it is being able to use nintendo network if people choose to do so. Also, for the love of arceus please make the team preview optional and if not get rid of it entirely. Why it was REQUIRED in the first place is beyond me. Lastly, I'm hoping that there's more metagame variety than this overly standard generation of rain and if not that then weather in general. Speaking of weather, sun and hail could use a little love too. Just a little...nothing that will throw us into full weather abyss again.

What I fear could happen is that we could get an even more crazy metagame or that team preview won't be optional/eliminated or auto level 100 won't return.

RIP Ice Grabbers
    Super Smash Bros. Melee - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Nana you're too smart for a 3DS.
    *credit to PurpleBlitz for drac stuff*

Quote Originally Posted by Bestgamepearl View Post
    Simple personal hopes, I hope they (for keeping online 3ds battles relevant seeing how hacking the 3ds could be quite the challenge) bring back the auto level 100 feature. Not so much a metagame impact as much as it is being able to use nintendo network if people choose to do so. Also, for the love of arceus please make the team preview optional and if not get rid of it entirely. Why it was REQUIRED in the first place is beyond me. Lastly, I'm hoping that there's more metagame variety than this overly standard generation of rain and if not that then weather in general. Speaking of weather, sun and hail could use a little love too. Just a little...nothing that will throw us into full weather abyss again.

What I fear could happen is that we could get an even more crazy metagame or that team preview won't be optional/eliminated or auto level 100 won't return.
    This so much. The weather thing. What we need are more defensive mons so that stall will be viable again.

i love the even number gens becuase we always get evolutions and pre-evo's which is really cool. digging the dear legendary. Grass/Steel is pretty awesome. it's also hinted like hell, that there will be new eeveelutions.

I see two possible outcomes. The first is that the power creep continues or stays were it's currently at, and the metagame stays the way it is, besides the new moves, of course.

The second is that to balance out the 145 special attack Shandy and such, there is a "defensive creep", though seeing as we also got, say, Cofagrigus with 145 base defense in gen 5, they are under the illusion that it is balanced....
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Magnemite used Sonic Boom! Magnemite glitched through the wall! It's super effective! Lyric fainted!

I foresee increasing power creep. That's not necessarily too bad, but it would require better defensive mons too, which *looks at Cofagrigus* aren't guaranteed to be any good.

Hopes? GIVE ME MY SAPPHIRE REMAKE. NOW.

Fears? That those legendaries, in addition to looking weird, will over-impact the Ubers metagame. They'll obviously be stuck out of OU, as were Resh/Zek, but I frankly think they look too stupid to be given any respect in Ubers. A giant deer and a giant flying Y. Lovely.
    Then again, Reshiram looks like a giant chicken with a fox's head and a basket stapled to its rear end. And it's a fairly common sight in Ubers.
    I HAVE QUIT COMPETITIVE POKEMON UNTIL X&Y

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Li
    You can try to frame it with negative words like “taking a game too seriously,” but passion is passion. If you don’t have something you strive to be excellent at, then you aren’t living at all. Everyone should have something that he or she takes “too seriously.”
        Spoiler:- In Memory of the Greatest Clans Ever to Grace Serebii:

Why not post this in the 6th gen discussion?

I'm hoping chespin is useable in ou, and is grass/fighting.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

With every batch of new mons, the metagame produces new strategies and downfalls for some Pokemon. I'm hoping for an Ice variant of Swift Swim. Not to mention even more items and the new Pokemon introduced too.

Quote Originally Posted by your boss View Post
    I'm hoping for an Ice variant of Swift Swim.
    Oh no...not blizzard spam.

Eh, at least if this appeared, the metagame may be more balanced between the weathers, though this could be pretty dangerous offensively.
    Magnemite used Sonic Boom! Magnemite glitched through the wall! It's super effective! Lyric fainted!

...I'm expecting some pretty cutscenes.

I'm fearing a lack of pokemon I want to capture for a team.

I'm fearing that my d/p remake (which would be confirmed in my mind if RSE got a remake) will never come, or at least not till I'm 30. lol
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

I hope for some more great Pokemon like ferro/terra.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Hopes? End the power creep and nerf entry hazards. Gen V, combined with the power of entry hazards (Stealth Rock in particular), pretty much destroyed stall for what it is worth. I don't think that a defense creep would completely solve the problem, but rather a combination of ending the power creep, nerfing entry hazards and giving more viable defensive moves (ie. one that causes an effect that reduces the foe's PP more than usual) would help alleviate the problem with stall.

Edit: And a non-legendary with Air Lock, considering that non-legendaries got Drizzle and Drought. The obnoxous weather wars that appeared in Gen V will continue in this gen if something that is not banned (read: Not Rayquaza) gets Air Lock.

Edit2: Gamefreak really needs to nerf Moody, as in to eliminate its ability to raise Evasion and reduce the stat changes to +1/-1 per turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Orithan View Post
    Hopes? End the power creep and nerf entry hazards. Gen V, combined with the power of entry hazards (Stealth Rock in particular), pretty much destroyed stall for what it is worth. I don't think that a defense creep would completely solve the problem, but rather a combination of ending the power creep, nerfing entry hazards and giving more viable defensive moves (ie. one that causes an effect that reduces the foe's PP more than usual) would help alleviate the problem with stall.
    Are you kidding me? I've played stall, and there is nothing I've found it to love more then having three layers of spikes on the enemy field. And, while spinners are limited, Tentacruel and Donphan do an excellent job at spinning for one.

The power creep destroyed stall, not entry hazards.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Are you kidding me? I've played stall, and there is nothing I've found it to love more then having three layers of spikes on the enemy field. And, while spinners are limited, Tentacruel and Donphan do an excellent job at spinning for one.

The power creep destroyed stall, not entry hazards.
    I take the entry hazard part out of stall being destroyed then. I still hate how entry hazards centralise the metagame though. Defog needs to blow away hazards to fix it flavorwise.

I also think entry hazards should be nerfed, especially Stealth Rock as it hampers on the viability of many Pokemon sets. I suggest either allowing Rock types to absorb Stealth Rock like Poison types do with Toxic Spikes, creating a new relatively unblockable Rapid Spin like move, creating a Scrappy+Rapid Spin mon or even a powerful Dark type spinner that doubles as a Ghost killer. The latter should be the most interesting due to the mind games it would create.
    3DS Friend Code
    4854-6478-8554
    Friend Safari
    Fire with Magmar, Slugma, and Braixen. Please PM if you want to add me.

Shinies Obtained
    Crobat, Golem, Magnezone, Butterfree, Spheal, Luvdisc, Charizard, Xatu

Shinies obtained from GTS/Trades
    Parasect, Glameow, Chansey, Deoxys, Lugia, Machamp, Linoone, Spiritomb

Edit2: Gamefreak really needs to nerf Moody, as in to eliminate its ability to raise Evasion and reduce the stat changes to +1/-1 per turn.
    lol, moody is banned anyway, no point in changing it, itd still be broken, as long as it keeps that evasion boost. its too luck based and uncompetitive.

theres absolutely no guarantee the two legends(deer one looks sweet, y one looks like giratina remake) are going to ubers. stats =/= immediate ban. case in point, kyurem-b. it could end up being like the musketeers(hopefully) or it could be the next kyurem-w. you can predict that. hell, it could be the next phione.

what we need is weather nerf, if anything. weather is a very powerful force, but its basically been reduced to rain and sand, especially with the genesect ban, now sun isnt as viable anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by That Crazy Russian™ View Post
    theres absolutely no guarantee the two legends(deer one looks sweet, y one looks like giratina remake) are going to ubers. stats =/= immediate ban. case in point, kyurem-b. it could end up being like the musketeers(hopefully) or it could be the next kyurem-w. you can predict that. hell, it could be the next phione.
    No, stats can't cause an immediate ban. However, they are a huge influence. Kyurem-B's main drawback is it's ice typing making it much more frail. If it was pure dragon, for example, there is no way it'd be in OU. Ice is really the worst type any pokemon could possibly have.

These guys kind of look like a dragon and grass type or something. Grass isn't great, but with good stats, I'm 99% sure these guys will be easy uber.

Musketeers? Certainly not. The deer's antlers cause it to resemble an X, and as for the dragon...just check out my avi. They will definitely be the next mascots, and with that, they will have stats to prove their worth as legendary mascots.

Edit: And a non-legendary with Air Lock, considering that non-legendaries got Drizzle and Drought. The obnoxous weather wars that appeared in Gen V will continue in this gen if something that is not banned (read: Not Rayquaza) gets Air Lock.
    Cloud Nine, same thing as Air Lock buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua Boss Casper View Post
    Cloud Nine, heard of it? same thing as Air Lock buddy
    Wow, what a douche. Cloud Nine's distribution is terrible, nothing even remotely viable in OU gets it. It's given to like Golduck and Altaria, and they both suck.
    “The God of the old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror."

~Richard Dawkins

I am a Satanist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your signature if you are too!

didn't intend to sound like a douche, just the way it came out. Weather teams are gonna happen regardless.

I just hope that the ratio of Fighting-type Pokémon to non-Fighting-type Pokémon is much, much less than that of the fifth generation. The inclusion of so many Fighting-types made so many otherwise-completely viable Pokémon go down from OU to UU and from UU to NU. :/

Oh yeah, I also would really like it if they didn't do a complete revamp of base stats. It would really make competitive teams much more painful to create.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

I hope for a New Type(Please no one start that debate with me again -_-)

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Oh yeah, I also would really like it if they didn't do a complete revamp of base stats. It would really make competitive teams much more painful to create.
    You mean change the stats of a Pokemon? Can they even do that? I mean yeah they can do it in the sense that is possible but are they allowed to?

FC: 4699-6505-4258
    IGN: Diva

Quote Originally Posted by cascadethewarrior View Post
    You mean change the stats of a Pokemon? Can they even do that? I mean yeah they can do it in the sense that is possible but are they allowed to?
    In the strictest sense, yes, they are. The creators of the game can create, change, or remove anything they please with the games that they make, including change how stats work.
    This was seen, for example, in the change from stat experience to EV's and IV's from generation I to generation II.

As far as the competitive department goes, I hope team preview is optional. That way, the people who don't want it can choose not to use it, and the people who do want it can choose to use it. The competitive metagame would default to team preview disabled.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Hopes: New type(s), 100-165 New Pokémon, New weather, maybe a real acid rain where only poison Pokémon aren't damaged, more towns, 12-16 gym badges, better tougher elite four, return of Red the trainer, a RSE remake hopefully next year if possible, and also skateboard for the male, roller skates for the girls, customizable characters FINALLY, and also Chespin Grass/Fighting, Froakie Water/Ice, Fennekin Fire/Rock, lastly Pokémon Y Dark/Steel, Dark/Ice, or Dark/Fire
    And Pokémon X Grass/Ice, Grass/Psychic, Psychic/Bug

Fears: no RSE remakes ever, non customizable characters, and lastly no 12 gym badges

3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!
    ALL Gen6 6IV Event pokemon are hacked

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyCobraMew View Post
    and also skateboard for the male, roller skates for the girls,
    Wait, why would only the boys get skateboards and why would only the girls get roller skates? Also, in the trailer the male trainer was seen roller skating so I think it's safe to assume they are in the game.

FC: 4699-6505-4258
    IGN: Diva

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast