Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen V's legacy on the series

Hybrid View

Default Gen V's legacy on the series

I think this is okay because it's not speculation on Gen VI

So Nintendo is quite literally pregnant (9 months, eh?) with the new generation of Pokemon and Black/White/Black2/White2 will soon be delegated to the realm of "retro". What memories do you think this gen will bring?

In terms of Pokemon design, it was probably the most controversial gen since Gen 3, but as far as innovation goes there wasn't the huge changes to the battle system like we saw in Gen 3 (Double Battles, completely changed IV setup) or Gen 4 (Physical/Special split). Triple, Rotation, and Shooter battles were pretty much novelties that never really fleshed themselves out as much as I would like. Probably the biggest innovation this gen made, however, would be in terms of story. It was probably the most immersive of any main series Pokemon game I have played so far and really caused the player to ask himself tough questions. I think that's the biggest legacy Gen V will leave. It's also noteworthy that X/Y don't seem to be doing the "New Pokemon only thing" like Black and White 1 first did. That was another huge deal.

I liked these games a lot, and I would like to see them remembered fondly. How about y'all?
    John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life

My mane pokeymanz in x
    facebook.com/geeksforjesus
    2ds friend code - 4613 7899 0504
    Looking for: purified shadow pokemon, pokemon in hg/ss exclusive pokeballs, y exclusive mega stones

TBH, you can't exactly talk about how Gen V affected the future of the series (which is what a legacy is) until said future has arrived, unless you've got a Monado or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    TBH, you can't exactly talk about how Gen V affected the future of the series (which is what a legacy is) until said future has arrived, unless you've got a Monado or something.
    Maybe I could have worded my post better, but I'm really just thinking about in the future, how will people look back on Gen V and what will they say it did right or wrong? For example, I thought Gen V did much right with a deep story, reusable TMs, and an animated battlefield (thanks to some others who reminded me of these) and hopefully they'll all be preserved for generations to come. I certainly don't think Gen V was a complete failure by any means (like some would suggest lol), but I am curious as to see how it will be remembered seeing how unique it was/is.
    John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life

My mane pokeymanz in x
    facebook.com/geeksforjesus
    2ds friend code - 4613 7899 0504
    Looking for: purified shadow pokemon, pokemon in hg/ss exclusive pokeballs, y exclusive mega stones

I think storyline will be the major thing Gen 5 leaves. It was an interesting story that really made sense, with great motive, and great reasoning, and really made people think about Pokemon.

Well I'll remember gen 5 for the following:

-Interesting pokemon designs
    -The first pokemon game since gen 1 which only featured the new Pokemon -that is until after the E4
    -Likeable bad guy who wasn't boring
    -The Dream World
    -BW2 improved breeding methods

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post
    I think storyline will be the major thing Gen 5 leaves. It was an interesting story that really made sense, with great motive, and great reasoning, and really made people think about Pokemon.
    Urgh I really hate it when people say that. It's a video game. Video games should be about having fun, not making people think. Besides while I enjoyed the game itself, the storyline didn't really set itself apart from the other storylines in the previous games. It was basically the same for me. A bad guy attempts to take over the pokemon world. The only difference here is that he tried to use people's empathy towards pokemon against them but the intended outcome was the same -to get people to release their pokemon or trade them in whatever so that they would be defenseless against the big bad. You guys must have completely skipped the whole ending where Ghetsis ran out on his son and basically said this is one of his big speeches. I admit that N was a unique anti-hero but at the same time he was brainwashed by Ghetsis...

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno.Fan View Post
    I think that Gen V got a lot more people into Pokemon again. I know that I was more hyped for Black/White than I have been for a Pokemon game since Gen II.
    That was the aim anyway. The reason why only the new pokemon could be obtained, leaving the others until post elite 4. I thought it worked well, though I'm more excited about gen 6 than I was for gen 5. I don't give a damn about the storyline as you might have guessed -I'm more interested in seeing the transition from DS to 3DS and what the new generation brings into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    Poor Gen V. It was the best generation, but it will definitely be the forgotten generation in the grand scheme of things. Let's be real here - it was generation 4.5. The first four generations changed the series radically, and Gen V was pretty tame in comparison. But it did some really important things, like completely breaking the patterns Pokemon had followed in previous generations.

I feel like Generation VI will be amazing, and will overshadow Generation V like II did to I. But I also feel like Gen V will have a lot of nostalgia associated with it from children who were introduced to the series with Black and White, sort of like how teenagers today feel nostalgic over Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and demand remakes at any opportunity.
    I think it's too early to say yet. I've been playing since the good ol' days of RBY and I don't think they were overshadowed by GSC. I still remember people (myself included) playing Yellow despite it's green-yellow hue even when Crystal came out. Because back then the Gameboy color was in circulation and if I remember correctly it was able to play both the black and white games and the color games. Yellow was a favorite because it reminded people of the anime which was big at the time. That was when the movies ect were still showing in the cinemas instead of going straight onto DVD and people hid their gameboys and pokemon cards at school. Gen V will have it's share nastalgia-crazed people in time but I doubt it'll pass that of the gen one people.

Quote Originally Posted by master54100 View Post
    im hoping that it will inspire better pokemon design in future, seriously whoever though making not one but two pokemon based on a bag of rubbish was a good idea... to many of the gen 5 pokemon looked like cheap nock offs of the gen 1 pokemon.
    Meanwhile gen 1 had bland pokemon designs like a magnet pokemon and a pokemon based off goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Soberheartless View Post
    After seeing this morning's announcement the first thing that went through my mind was- "Generation V's over already?" . In my opinion, I feel that GameFreak was rushing into things and wanted to keep the franchise popular and alive with hype, which obviously worked. However, Generation V seems like it won't be forgotten, but it seems like it won't get the shine it deserves. If i remember correctly, it gets Black&White, Black2&White2, Conquest, Pokepark2, and the Mystery Dungeon [which isn't in the US yet]. All in a rushed period of 2 or so years is a little too much... I'm excited as the next guy for the 6th generation, but I really wished Generation V would be prolonged. It makes sense now when they said the anime would be fast paced...but if I remember correctly the Unova League ends in the next episode...and I'm not really sure how that works if they are in the midst of a quarterfinal battle...I hoped that Ash would meet up with some of his older Pokemon, do the whole meet and greet. But overall, I genuinely feel like Generation V would be the 'transition generation', something just to keep us satisfied until Generation VI. Which is a waste, Generation IV was so long with only 107 introduced, and with 156 introduced in Generation V it just makes you think that it would at least break even with the previous generation. The Pokemon were definitely memorable and so was the plot but let's face it. When we move on, we rarely go back. I got my Black 2 in November and I still haven't finished it [high school, tons of work], and I usually enjoy that big time period of no new games where I can enjoy the game [post Elite 4] and cherish what it has to offer. That won't be the case it seems because by the end of the year I'll be having a new game [X, if you must know] and Black 2 will be just something of the past... it's difficult to think that of something that still has its novelty to you now. Too soon Pokemon Company, too soon...
    It still feels a bit early for me as well but most gens only last 2-3 years. However I think I'll be ready by the time October arrives.
    Last edited by Ausgirl; 10th January 2013 at 1:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless123 View Post
    Urgh I really hate it when people say that. It's a video game. Video games should be about having fun, not making people think. Besides while I enjoyed the game itself, the storyline didn't really set itself apart from the other storylines in the previous games. It was basically the same for me. A bad guy attempts to take over the pokemon world. The only difference here is that he tried to use people's empathy towards pokemon against them but the intended outcome was the same -to get people to release their pokemon or trade them in whatever so that they would be defenseless against the big bad. You guys must have completely skipped the whole ending where Ghetsis ran out on his son and basically said this is one of his big speeches. I admit that N was a unique anti-hero but at the same time he was brainwashed by Ghetsis...
    Why not think? Everything should make you think about it, even if you don't realize it. It is fun, yes, but deep at the same ime.

Though Gen V wasn't like that, Gen IV was far more complicated than it, considering the motives were actually justified by the entire team, instead of just N and some Grunts in Plasma.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    Why not think? Everything should make you think about it, even if you don't realize it. It is fun, yes, but deep at the same ime.

Though Gen V wasn't like that, Gen IV was far more complicated than it, considering the motives were actually justified by the entire team, instead of just N and some Grunts in Plasma.
    Gen 5 wasn't "deep" and gen 4 was probably the least "complicated" game in the series. Games should be about having fun. I'm not interested in the possible psychological damage lol, of tiny bits of data.

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter of Charizard View Post
    LOL

Anyway; This genereation was amazing. I mean, it was far better than Diamond, Pearl, Platinum. Sinnoh was (personally) worse than Unova. Most Pokemon were evos of previous. We also can't forgot mechanics introduced in BW, BW2 such as: MMing@1300, IR Communications, GTS Negotiations, and the fact that existed. Don't forget about Anville town, getting your 8th gym basge from Drayden/Marlon, or reaching the E4, just to find that they're moderately tough and balance each other extremely well. Gen5 was great, and I excpect great things from Gen6 to be even better. (GO FENNEKIN!)
    Agreed with the exception of the evo thing. There was maybe five evos of previous gens, no more than any other game really. And gen 4 introduced some amazing pokemon of it's own like Garchomp.
    Last edited by Ausgirl; 10th January 2013 at 1:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless123 View Post
    Gen 5 wasn't "deep" and gen 4 was probably the least "complicated" game in the series. Games should be about having fun. I'm not interested in the possible psychological damage lol, of tiny bits of data.
    I didn't say Gen V was deep, as it wasn't.

Gen IV is complicated because of how Dimensional Space-Time is intertwined in the plot.

And actually, the thinking is what partly makes it fun, just because it isn't fun for you, doesn't mean thinking is something fun for oher people.

I think he's more asking us to share what new things gen V brought to the Pokemon table, rather than how it affects future games. Like for example, although I didn't like Gen 5 all that much, I do like the slight variations they added to the pokemon formula, just even the tiniest things, like how in Black/White you never really got to finish the pokemon league the first time, or the trio of gym leaders at the first gym or whatever. Honestly, That's really all I can think about that really stood out to me.

I think that Gen V got a lot more people into Pokemon again. I know that I was more hyped for Black/White than I have been for a Pokemon game since Gen II.
    (template from Jerkfighter)

This is me.

I'm going to miss Gen V a lot. So many things I loved in it.

And I hope they use the reception of the storyline to make an even better one in Gen VI. Also, make even better music!

Actually, you're right. When my sister and I first found out about Black and White, we tried playing through our original games (Ruby for me, Firered for her) before getting Black and White. That really got me back into Pokemon from around two years of depriving myself of Pokemon...
    Currently not playing any Pokemon Games, you can check my Backloggery for games that I AM playing, if you're interested:

If I'm playing a Pokemon game, I'll have my signature display the game I'm playing, current team, and badge number.

I agree, Black and White had a huge legacy with the story, and then the wild idea of the sequel. Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with BW2's story, especially in comparison to the first, so I hope whatever they carry on with 6th Gen will be improved.
    Rotation battles, I also liked those a lot.
    Y Team: Delphox, Venusaur (Mega), Blaziken, Absol, Aegislash, Florges
    PROUD TO DONATE GOOD POKEMON TO THE WONDER TRADE!
    But I swear to Arceus if you give me a Dedenne, I will find you.
    3DS Friend Code: 2036-7115-4768
    (my safari zone really sucks... sorry. IT HAS DEDENNE. STUPID KARMA.)
    <<R.I.P.
    HELLO HERE'S MY FANFICTION

Mod note: Signature should have have font size larger than 3.
    Lux note: You're right, it should.

I also talk about Pokemon stuffs here. (and the link works now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Luxvan View Post
    I agree, Black and White had a huge legacy with the story, and then the wild idea of the sequel. Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with BW2's story, especially in comparison to the first, so I hope whatever they carry on with 6th Gen will be improved.
    Rotation battles, I also liked those a lot.
    I agree with this. The story in Black/White was touching, the music fit the mood of the game, and the fact that it had a sequel were all incredible. Although it could be said that Gold and Silver were sort of a sequel to Red, Blue and Green in that they involved the same enemy, they didn't have the same urgency that Black 2/White 2 had, nor the specific characters in common. The only thing about Black 2 that I wish was different was that it had lasted longer, story wise, and that the rival had actually battled you more than twice.
    [IMG]http://i40.*******.com/o8t7cl.png[/IMG]
    3DS Friendcode: 2895-6496-6721
    Message me with yours!

I definitely want the PWT to return. That was fun.
    The only Nesquik you'll ever see in 3D.

I am a proud Catholic.

Shiny Charmander! Hatched via Masuda Method on 3/7/13
    Shiny Corphish! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Skrelp! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Horsea! Chain fished on 10/31/13 (Guess this is my Halloween treat)
    Shiny Frogadier! Random encounter in Friend Safari on 11/2/13 (Modest nature and 31 IV in speed)
    Shiny Tyrunt! Hatched via Masuda Method on 11/9/13

Want my Friend Code? Here it is:
    3DS: 1891-1325-6982
    White 2: 3397 1588 5337 Peter

Honesttly to me Gen 5 will be rembered as the gen in which fans constanty fought over that gens designs and that GF was "running out of ideas" due to ice cream and trash Pokemon. I for one want to move on.

generation 5 brought a good storyline, haxorus, triple battles, rotational battles, braviary, seasons, the pwt, the tao trio, cobalion, terrakion.
    of the top of my head those where the best features( and this coming from a gen 1 and 2 fan).
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    for those of you who are interested here is my link to my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pokedigijedi

Trade shop: pokedigijedi's bounty board
    3DS FRIEND CODE: 4382-2152-1254 friend safari type: poison pokemon ariados, kakuna, and muk. please don't take too long too add me it drives me crazy and I will delete your friend code

The 5th generation has been my favourite so far though I still have not played BW2. I loved the Pokemon it brought into the series and the new types of battling which I hope continue and become even more common in XY

Quote Originally Posted by Italianbaptist View Post
    and Black/White/Black2/White2 will soon be delegated to the realm of "retro".
    What bizarre definition of "retro" do you have, man? It won't even be five years old. It will barely even be a generation of consoles old.

In terms of Pokemon design, it was probably the most controversial gen since Gen 3,
    I don't see it, but I don't remember Gen III design complaints. Also, people who are complaining about designs in Gen V are wrong. None of its designs were as bad as a chunk of chewed-up bubble gum.

Triple, Rotation, and Shooter battles were pretty much novelties that never really fleshed themselves out as much as I would like.
    Well, I think if they were pushed too much more heavily, people would have whined about the "gimmick battles" or whatever, even though Pokemon has become increasingly gimmick-based since Gen III, which is apparently the second-biggest shibboleth in the Pokemon fandom, anyway.

Probably the biggest innovation this gen made, however, would be in terms of story. It was probably the most immersive of any main series Pokemon game I have played so far and really caused the player to ask himself tough questions. I think that's the biggest legacy Gen V will leave.
    I think it got too big for its britches, frankly.

I liked these games a lot, and I would like to see them remembered fondly. How about y'all?
    I liked them, but I like most Pokemon games. Even DP aren't without their merits, even if I wasn't hugely enthused. I'm not really gonna miss most of the characters, though.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    GRRRRRRR
    You need to calm down.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

Quote Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
    You need to calm down.
    Some of the posts in this thread and that's the one that needs to calm down?

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Some of the posts in this thread and that's the one that needs to calm down?

Dude, why do you always take things too seriously? He didn't actually say Grrrr, I added it to make it humorous, and it was a joke.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post
    Honestly, it might've just been me, but I thought it dwindled too much.. The gymquest was hurt by the storyline.. No gap between Nimbasa and Driftveil or whatever really annoyed me.. I had two badges in two hours of playing the game. I liked the Dragonspiral Tower bit of the game, I had flashbacks to days of old..

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    What bizarre definition of "retro" do you have, man? It won't even be five years old. It will barely even be a generation of consoles old.

I liked them, but I like most Pokemon games. Even DP aren't without their merits, even if I wasn't hugely enthused. I'm not really gonna miss most of the characters, though.
    This... People talk about the great storyline, but honestly.. I've already forgotten about N, I've thought of Ghetsis a hurdle I just had to beat in order to get the story over with in White2.. Colress was just another mčh, troubled scientist, and I honestly thought that Cheren had the best go in that game.. Alder seemed stripped, everybody just seemed less then they were. And hence I couldn't care less about leaving these games empty when I transfer all my pokemon over to Gen6 when possible.

And lol.. Retro.. Had the same thoughts about that.. xD When a game becomes available to play on a smartphone, then it's retro..
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Hmm... Not a bad topic in itself, but as others have said it is a little early to go about what things we'll remember of a generation that still has 10 months to go. That said I will give it a go given it's had a decent start and might get some good discussion from it.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: The Coffee Guy's Rants: Remakes! He doesn't like them.
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Poor Gen V. It was the best generation, but it will definitely be the forgotten generation in the grand scheme of things. Let's be real here - it was generation 4.5. The first four generations changed the series radically, and Gen V was pretty tame in comparison. But it did some really important things, like completely breaking the patterns Pokemon had followed in previous generations.

I feel like Generation VI will be amazing, and will overshadow Generation V like II did to I. But I also feel like Gen V will have a lot of nostalgia associated with it from children who were introduced to the series with Black and White, sort of like how teenagers today feel nostalgic over Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and demand remakes at any opportunity.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast