Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen V's legacy on the series

Default Gen V's legacy on the series

I think this is okay because it's not speculation on Gen VI

So Nintendo is quite literally pregnant (9 months, eh?) with the new generation of Pokemon and Black/White/Black2/White2 will soon be delegated to the realm of "retro". What memories do you think this gen will bring?

In terms of Pokemon design, it was probably the most controversial gen since Gen 3, but as far as innovation goes there wasn't the huge changes to the battle system like we saw in Gen 3 (Double Battles, completely changed IV setup) or Gen 4 (Physical/Special split). Triple, Rotation, and Shooter battles were pretty much novelties that never really fleshed themselves out as much as I would like. Probably the biggest innovation this gen made, however, would be in terms of story. It was probably the most immersive of any main series Pokemon game I have played so far and really caused the player to ask himself tough questions. I think that's the biggest legacy Gen V will leave. It's also noteworthy that X/Y don't seem to be doing the "New Pokemon only thing" like Black and White 1 first did. That was another huge deal.

I liked these games a lot, and I would like to see them remembered fondly. How about y'all?
    John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life

My mane pokeymanz in x
    facebook.com/geeksforjesus
    2ds friend code - 4613 7899 0504
    Looking for: purified shadow pokemon, pokemon in hg/ss exclusive pokeballs, y exclusive mega stones

TBH, you can't exactly talk about how Gen V affected the future of the series (which is what a legacy is) until said future has arrived, unless you've got a Monado or something.

I think storyline will be the major thing Gen 5 leaves. It was an interesting story that really made sense, with great motive, and great reasoning, and really made people think about Pokemon.

I think he's more asking us to share what new things gen V brought to the Pokemon table, rather than how it affects future games. Like for example, although I didn't like Gen 5 all that much, I do like the slight variations they added to the pokemon formula, just even the tiniest things, like how in Black/White you never really got to finish the pokemon league the first time, or the trio of gym leaders at the first gym or whatever. Honestly, That's really all I can think about that really stood out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    TBH, you can't exactly talk about how Gen V affected the future of the series (which is what a legacy is) until said future has arrived, unless you've got a Monado or something.
    Maybe I could have worded my post better, but I'm really just thinking about in the future, how will people look back on Gen V and what will they say it did right or wrong? For example, I thought Gen V did much right with a deep story, reusable TMs, and an animated battlefield (thanks to some others who reminded me of these) and hopefully they'll all be preserved for generations to come. I certainly don't think Gen V was a complete failure by any means (like some would suggest lol), but I am curious as to see how it will be remembered seeing how unique it was/is.
    John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life

My mane pokeymanz in x
    facebook.com/geeksforjesus
    2ds friend code - 4613 7899 0504
    Looking for: purified shadow pokemon, pokemon in hg/ss exclusive pokeballs, y exclusive mega stones

I think that Gen V got a lot more people into Pokemon again. I know that I was more hyped for Black/White than I have been for a Pokemon game since Gen II.
    (template from Jerkfighter)

I agree, Black and White had a huge legacy with the story, and then the wild idea of the sequel. Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with BW2's story, especially in comparison to the first, so I hope whatever they carry on with 6th Gen will be improved.
    Rotation battles, I also liked those a lot.
    Y Team: Delphox, Venusaur (Mega), Blaziken, Absol, Aegislash, Florges
    PROUD TO DONATE GOOD POKEMON TO THE WONDER TRADE!
    But I swear to Arceus if you give me a Dedenne, I will find you.
    3DS Friend Code: 2036-7115-4768
    (my safari zone really sucks... sorry. IT HAS DEDENNE. STUPID KARMA.)
    <<R.I.P.
    HELLO HERE'S MY FANFICTION

Mod note: Signature should have have font size larger than 3.
    Lux note: You're right, it should.

I also talk about Pokemon stuffs here. (and the link works now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Luxvan View Post
    I agree, Black and White had a huge legacy with the story, and then the wild idea of the sequel. Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with BW2's story, especially in comparison to the first, so I hope whatever they carry on with 6th Gen will be improved.
    Rotation battles, I also liked those a lot.
    I agree with this. The story in Black/White was touching, the music fit the mood of the game, and the fact that it had a sequel were all incredible. Although it could be said that Gold and Silver were sort of a sequel to Red, Blue and Green in that they involved the same enemy, they didn't have the same urgency that Black 2/White 2 had, nor the specific characters in common. The only thing about Black 2 that I wish was different was that it had lasted longer, story wise, and that the rival had actually battled you more than twice.
    [IMG]http://i40.*******.com/o8t7cl.png[/IMG]
    3DS Friendcode: 2895-6496-6721
    Message me with yours!

I definitely want the PWT to return. That was fun.
    The only Nesquik you'll ever see in 3D.

I am a proud Catholic.

Shiny Charmander! Hatched via Masuda Method on 3/7/13
    Shiny Corphish! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Skrelp! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Horsea! Chain fished on 10/31/13 (Guess this is my Halloween treat)
    Shiny Frogadier! Random encounter in Friend Safari on 11/2/13 (Modest nature and 31 IV in speed)
    Shiny Tyrunt! Hatched via Masuda Method on 11/9/13

Want my Friend Code? Here it is:
    3DS: 1891-1325-6982
    White 2: 3397 1588 5337 Peter

Honesttly to me Gen 5 will be rembered as the gen in which fans constanty fought over that gens designs and that GF was "running out of ideas" due to ice cream and trash Pokemon. I for one want to move on.

generation 5 brought a good storyline, haxorus, triple battles, rotational battles, braviary, seasons, the pwt, the tao trio, cobalion, terrakion.
    of the top of my head those where the best features( and this coming from a gen 1 and 2 fan).
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    for those of you who are interested here is my link to my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pokedigijedi

Trade shop: pokedigijedi's bounty board
    3DS FRIEND CODE: 4382-2152-1254 friend safari type: poison pokemon ariados, kakuna, and muk. please don't take too long too add me it drives me crazy and I will delete your friend code

The 5th generation has been my favourite so far though I still have not played BW2. I loved the Pokemon it brought into the series and the new types of battling which I hope continue and become even more common in XY

Quote Originally Posted by Italianbaptist View Post
    and Black/White/Black2/White2 will soon be delegated to the realm of "retro".
    What bizarre definition of "retro" do you have, man? It won't even be five years old. It will barely even be a generation of consoles old.

In terms of Pokemon design, it was probably the most controversial gen since Gen 3,
    I don't see it, but I don't remember Gen III design complaints. Also, people who are complaining about designs in Gen V are wrong. None of its designs were as bad as a chunk of chewed-up bubble gum.

Triple, Rotation, and Shooter battles were pretty much novelties that never really fleshed themselves out as much as I would like.
    Well, I think if they were pushed too much more heavily, people would have whined about the "gimmick battles" or whatever, even though Pokemon has become increasingly gimmick-based since Gen III, which is apparently the second-biggest shibboleth in the Pokemon fandom, anyway.

Probably the biggest innovation this gen made, however, would be in terms of story. It was probably the most immersive of any main series Pokemon game I have played so far and really caused the player to ask himself tough questions. I think that's the biggest legacy Gen V will leave.
    I think it got too big for its britches, frankly.

I liked these games a lot, and I would like to see them remembered fondly. How about y'all?
    I liked them, but I like most Pokemon games. Even DP aren't without their merits, even if I wasn't hugely enthused. I'm not really gonna miss most of the characters, though.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Hmm... Not a bad topic in itself, but as others have said it is a little early to go about what things we'll remember of a generation that still has 10 months to go. That said I will give it a go given it's had a decent start and might get some good discussion from it.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Fashion Focus: Team Magma and Team Aqua! What's the verdict on the new outfits?
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Poor Gen V. It was the best generation, but it will definitely be the forgotten generation in the grand scheme of things. Let's be real here - it was generation 4.5. The first four generations changed the series radically, and Gen V was pretty tame in comparison. But it did some really important things, like completely breaking the patterns Pokemon had followed in previous generations.

I feel like Generation VI will be amazing, and will overshadow Generation V like II did to I. But I also feel like Gen V will have a lot of nostalgia associated with it from children who were introduced to the series with Black and White, sort of like how teenagers today feel nostalgic over Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and demand remakes at any opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    Poor Gen V. It was the best generation, but it will definitely be the forgotten generation in the grand scheme of things.
    That's a rather bold declaration to make with B/W2 still warm in hardware worldwide.

No generation is "the forgotten generation" and there's nothing about Generation V that will mark it as such.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

I think Gen V as a whole is a pretty solid way to end the Pokemon series so far as games on the DS are concerned. It really gives you an idea of how the series has matured...not necessarily art-wise, but rather the story, designs, and the gameplay itself. I don't think anyone can argue that, as a whole, BW and B2W2 simply have a much more immense, darker and interesting story than pretty much any of its predecessors.

The Pokemon designs, no matter what some might say, were pretty original. I think that it's really hard to go to 600+ Pokemon and still differentiate them by the difference in stats, designs, and their movepool, and it's nice to see GameFreak, in a way, is still being pretty darn creative with the Pokemon they're pumping out. The new factors they added in - like the theater/movies, musicals, and of course, the PWT - as well as all the other side quests and post-E4 just give Gen V a really lasting flavor...and, again, with the EV's and IV's and emphasis on Wi-Fi battling/trading, it's nice to see a developer take some interest in the competitive side of their games...

Overall, I think Gen V should be remembered and defined as a pretty good, solid installment that brought a lot of nostalgia back to the players, like HG and SS did.
    Current Black 2 Team

The final team member wanders yet...

BW/BW2 were released on the DS, a platform with five other main Pokemon games. The DS was already at the end of its days when BW were released. Many people outright skip BW for the sequels (or HGSS, even), so they don't get to experience the story at all (in past generations people skipped the original pair for the third version, so they still got to experience the same story). The generation only lasted 3 years in Japan and 2 1/2 in other places. The games were self-contained and there weren't any remakes to capitalize on nostalgia (HGSS was a popular remake from older fans, and it keeps Gen IV relevant). There was no battle simulator released for this generation, which is a first. There were very few spin-offs compared to the third and fourth generations. The Anime was a lot shorter than the other series. There were only three movies this time, and the third movie will probably star a sixth generation Legendary Pokemon anyway. The BW manga is really short compared to the DP manga, and the BW2 arc will undoubtedly be rushed to the extreme (or outright ignored) in order to maximize XY hype.

If you compare it to the other generations, it was definitely a "blink and you'll miss it" generation.

Generations I and II were only three years each as well. Are we going to try and claim them as "forgotten" on the same basis?

Again, there is nothing Generation V didn't do that will render it "blink and you'll miss it". Everything else you listed is ancillary, at best, and none of that addresses the problem of trying to declare something "forgotten" when it's still technically the most recent standard and will stay that way for some months yet.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

I definitely think that generation V was the most immersive in terms of storyline and did actually end up establishing itself as an effective reboot for the series, putting a lot of originality into a series people had been criticizing for not being creative enough and not innovating in ways to really give the games individuality. So really I feel like despite it's controversies it'll end up being remembered as one of the most inclusive and fresh generations in a long time.

You get the new Pokemon and the Hidden abilities as well as the revamped Exp. System, the seasons, and the memorable plot lines. We will always remember how sympathetic N managed to get despite being a villain and how much of a ******* Ghetsis was. Judging by that Golurk statue Gen V Pokemon will continue to play roles in future games like X and Y. But Gen V is not dead yet and we still have ten more months to go.
    3DS Friend Code
    4854-6478-8554
    Friend Safari
    Fire with Magmar, Slugma, and Braixen. Please PM if you want to add me.

Shinies Obtained
    Crobat, Golem, Magnezone, Butterfree, Spheal, Luvdisc, Charizard, Xatu

Shinies obtained from GTS/Trades
    Parasect, Glameow, Chansey, Deoxys, Lugia, Machamp, Linoone, Spiritomb

im hoping that it will inspire better pokemon design in future, seriously whoever though making not one but two pokemon based on a bag of rubbish was a good idea... to many of the gen 5 pokemon looked like cheap nock offs of the gen 1 pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by master54100 View Post
    im hoping that it will inspire better pokemon design in future, seriously whoever though making not one but two pokemon based on a bag of rubbish was a good idea... to many of the gen 5 pokemon looked like cheap nock offs of the gen 1 pokemon.
    I've never understood why people think Gen 5 has such horrible knockoff pokemon that are uninspired. Every gen has its weakly created pokemon, it's a known fact. The only reason Gen I can get away with it is because it is Gen I, there was nothing to compare to at the time. I am sure if Gen I Pokemon had come out say in Gen III instead people would complain about how unoriginal some of the designs were then as well.

For me, the legacy of Gen V will be that it introduced an antagonist who most players could identify with and even sympathize with, understanding why he felt a certain way and it opened their eyes and showed them that Nintendo isn't looking at things just in black and white (pun not intended).
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

Quote Originally Posted by master54100 View Post
    ...You would think that by now people would understand that making most of the Gen V Pokemon resemble Gen I Pokemon in terms of both appearance and regional niche was intentional, but I guess I'm just too optimistic.
    Last edited by Endolise; 9th January 2013 at 3:31 AM.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

After seeing this morning's announcement the first thing that went through my mind was- "Generation V's over already?" . In my opinion, I feel that GameFreak was rushing into things and wanted to keep the franchise popular and alive with hype, which obviously worked. However, Generation V seems like it won't be forgotten, but it seems like it won't get the shine it deserves. If i remember correctly, it gets Black&White, Black2&White2, Conquest, Pokepark2, and the Mystery Dungeon [which isn't in the US yet]. All in a rushed period of 2 or so years is a little too much... I'm excited as the next guy for the 6th generation, but I really wished Generation V would be prolonged. It makes sense now when they said the anime would be fast paced...but if I remember correctly the Unova League ends in the next episode...and I'm not really sure how that works if they are in the midst of a quarterfinal battle...I hoped that Ash would meet up with some of his older Pokemon, do the whole meet and greet. But overall, I genuinely feel like Generation V would be the 'transition generation', something just to keep us satisfied until Generation VI. Which is a waste, Generation IV was so long with only 107 introduced, and with 156 introduced in Generation V it just makes you think that it would at least break even with the previous generation. The Pokemon were definitely memorable and so was the plot but let's face it. When we move on, we rarely go back. I got my Black 2 in November and I still haven't finished it [high school, tons of work], and I usually enjoy that big time period of no new games where I can enjoy the game [post Elite 4] and cherish what it has to offer. That won't be the case it seems because by the end of the year I'll be having a new game [X, if you must know] and Black 2 will be just something of the past... it's difficult to think that of something that still has its novelty to you now. Too soon Pokemon Company, too soon...
    Last edited by Soberheartless; 9th January 2013 at 4:55 AM.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

3DS FC :3 --> 3239 - 3347 - 2169 Friends are nice, not just for safari, but in general! My safari's grass btw :'D

*Grass Master in Training*->The Boy Who Understands the Call of Nature

Why be sober, when you can be heartless?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast