Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen V's legacy on the series

Quote Originally Posted by Soberheartless View Post
    After seeing this morning's announcement the first thing that went through my mind was- "Generation V's over already?" .
    By the time X and Y come out, Gen V will have lasted three years, which is just about average compared to the other Gens.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Too soon Pokemon Company, too soon...
    It really isn't, though. Same length as the first two generations.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Imho, I think gen 5 stared the trend of more story focused games.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    Imho, I think gen 5 stared the trend of more story focused games.
    Actually, I think that trend was started by RSE, wherein the villainous teams actually aimed to control the boxart Legendaries in order to do villain stuff.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    Poor Gen V. It was the best generation, but it will definitely be the forgotten generation in the grand scheme of things. Let's be real here - it was generation 4.5. The first four generations changed the series radically, and Gen V was pretty tame in comparison. But it did some really important things, like completely breaking the patterns Pokemon had followed in previous generations.

I feel like Generation VI will be amazing, and will overshadow Generation V like II did to I. But I also feel like Gen V will have a lot of nostalgia associated with it from children who were introduced to the series with Black and White, sort of like how
    teenagers today feel nostalgic over RubySapphire/Emerald and demand remakes at any opportunity.
    I thought that Gen 5 was great bringing in battle scen e. animatins, new battling styles, and some pretty cool (and some pretty dumb) Pokemon. My favorite thing though, and what I thought stood out the most, was the storyline and how it seemed to engage the player and make he/she think. The story in B/W was very different than any other game and I thing GF will continue making more intriguing storylines as more games are made. I am still playing W2, and I can't wait to finish it. I absolutely agree with you about R/S/E remakes, because personally, they are my favorites.

What stood out to me was how they delved more into the gym leaders lives. In Gen V, most of the gym leaders have an occupation outside of being a gym leader. It made them stand out more, and I loved that about gen V. Part of me really wants them to retroactively include occupations for some of the older gym leaders, just like how they made Sabrina an actress in Black 2 and White 2. And I hope they continue that with gen VI
    Yellow Team

Current Pokémon Y Team Members
    Greninja, Venusaur, Blaziken, Raichu, Tyrantrum, Mr. Mime

Pokémon X Planned Team Members
    Chesnaught, Charizard, Vespiquen, Jynx, Jolteon, Lucario

It seems to me that Gen V was used to get things going again, to get the blood pumping. Gen IV started out with*Diamond and Pearl, which I personally didn't like. Then Platinum came to try and make the Sinnoh series better. I don't think it was really working, so they went for nostalgic (and awesome) remakes of Gold and Silver. They were good games, but to me at least, they had a notalgic atmosphere with the way everything was animated and how it was a remake game, which made it good, but I think GF needed a different game. They wanted the more action kind of style I think was portrayed in D/P/P and the unforgettable, noltalgic feel of HG/SS, which created the intriguing storyline of Black and White, making it a hit. Great generation, GameFreak. It will not be forgotten.

Well, I just hope than Gen V will not pass shiny check legendary legacy to Gen VI. <.<
    Each Gen is memorable to me, the more its getting older.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037
    The Trinity League Poison Apprentice Master League Shadow Stars League Poison Leader
    PokeGyms Fairy Leader

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

After seeing this morning's announcement the first thing that went through my mind was- "Generation V's over already?" . In my opinion, I feel that GameFreak was rushing into things and wanted to keep the franchise popular and alive with hype, which obviously worked. However, Generation V seems like it won't be forgotten, but it seems like it won't get the shine it deserves. If i remember correctly, it gets Black&White, Black2&White2, Conquest, Pokepark2, and the Mystery Dungeon [which isn't in the US yet]. All in a rushed period of 2 or so years is a little too much... I'm excited as the next guy for the 6th generation, but I really wished Generation V would be prolonged. It makes sense now when they said the anime would be fast paced...but if I remember correctly the Unova League ends in the next episode...and I'm not really sure how that works if they are in the midst of a quarterfinal battle...I hoped that Ash would meet up with some of his older Pokemon, do the whole meet and greet. But overall, I genuinely feel like Generation V would be the 'transition generation', something just to keep us satisfied until Generation VI. Which is a waste, Generation IV was so long with only 107 introduced, and with 156 introduced in Generation V it just makes you think that it would at least break even with the previous generation. The Pokemon were definitely memorable and so was the plot but let's face it. When we move on, we rarely go back. I got my Black 2 in November and I still haven't finished it [high school, tons of work], and I usually enjoy that big time period of no new games where I can enjoy the game [post Elite 4] and cherish what it has to offer. That won't be the case it seems because by the end of the year I'll be having a new game [X, if you must know] and Black 2 will be just something of the past... it's difficult to think that of something that still has its novelty to you now. Too soon Pokemon Company, too soon...
    I second this

Quote Originally Posted by ECM View Post
    What stood out to me was how they delved more into the gym leaders lives. In Gen V, most of the gym leaders have an occupation outside of being a gym leader. It made them stand out more, and I loved that about gen V. Part of me really wants them to retroactively include occupations for some of the older gym leaders, just like how they made Sabrina an actress in Black 2 and White 2. And I hope they continue that with gen VI
    And This

Loved how the Gym leaders were also community leaders, just one of the many great things of a generation I think has ended too soon, I know this was how long GEN 1 lived too but where is pokemon going? at this rate there will be 1000 pokemon by 2020.
    ORAS? I'm excited

Indieformer

Gen V broke soo many grounds-
    1) No third version
    2) No remakes ( i dont mind, i want to hoenn in 3d more )
    3) Fully moving sprites
    4) A REAL story with real good characters
    5) The view Angles changing
    6) First region NOT based on japan
    7) NO KANTO this gen ( finally ! )
    8) First time you DONT battle the champion pre league
    Edit - 9) Prompts for using items again ( including REPELS !)

Gen V was quite revolutionary hope it doesn't get forgotten, I know I wouldn't forget it !
    Last edited by carboncopy; 9th January 2013 at 9:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carboncopy View Post
    Gen V broke soo many grounds-
    1) No third version
    2) No remakes ( i dont mind, i want to hoenn in 3d more )
    3) Fully moving sprites
    4) A REAL story with real good characters
    5) The view Angles changing
    6) First region NOT based on japan
    7) NO KANTO this gen ( finally ! )
    8) First time you DONT battle the champion pre league

Gen V was quite revolutionary hope it doesn't get forgotten, I know I wouldn't forget it !
    You're forgetting one thing, and it's probably the most important advancement made in all of Pokemon history.

The Repel prompt.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    You're forgetting one thing, and it's probably the most important advancement made in all of Pokemon history.

The Repel prompt.
    oh **** how can i forget.

edited !

Quote Originally Posted by Stymie View Post
    at this rate there will be 1000 pokemon by 2020.
    Could be. Is that really a problem?

-----
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    ...You would think that by now people would understand that making most of the Gen V Pokemon resemble Gen I Pokemon in terms of both appearance and regional niche was intentional, but I guess I'm just too optimistic.
    It might have been intentional but that doesn't mean it was a good idea. il take grimer over garbador any day.

The animated battle scenes and increased battle / text speed definitely stand out. When you go back to previous games, you can easily feel how much more sluggish and static the previous games were compared to Gen V.

Gen V also focused more on the story development during the main game - which was perhaps why they decided to break tradition and release sequels instead of third versions, to wrap up the story nicely. Leaving the story as "N discovering his true self in a faraway land" isn't as satisfying a conclusion as that presented in BW2, where you can really see his development over the two games. Really hope that they continue this trend of making awesome stories that don't just take place within a mere 10 to 20 hours.
    3DS Friend Code: 2337-4080-6077 | Friend Safari (Poison): Cascoon, Venomoth, Muk
    Kalos Pokedex completed on 1 January 2014
    National Pokedex completed on 7 July 2014

Shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by master54100 View Post
    It might have been intentional but that doesn't mean it was a good idea. il take grimer over garbador any day.
    You do know Unova is based on a huge city and city's have trash problems, right? Hence, a trash Pokemon.

What's so bad about Garbador? And no, saying "it is a Pokemon based off of trash" is not a valid answer.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Gen V did a lot of things no question about that. But in my mind I really think Gen VI is going be the legacy changer, when we look back on this 5-10 years down the road. My reasoning is because the entire visual layout has been transformed. The top down gameplay which has been there from the beginning has vanished. Encounters and battles seem to be much more fluid.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

The storyline and the N and Team Plasma plots would be remembered the most imo. Gen 5 was also the 1st generation to have the Pokemon League interrupted by the villains (and I hope this isn't the last time it happens).
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Elliot View Post
    Gen V did a lot of things no question about that. But in my mind I really think Gen VI is going be the legacy changer, when we look back on this 5-10 years down the road. My reasoning is because the entire visual layout has been transformed. The top down gameplay which has been there from the beginning has vanished. Encounters and battles seem to be much more fluid.
    We really don't know how much the gameplay has actually changed. This early on in the process, they're still putting the game together and they could cut and dice a lot of this. Remember that early PBR promos showed that the colosseums and stadiums would sustain damage from the attacks and stay damaged, but that was removed from the final game.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    It really isn't, though. Same length as the first two generations.
    Well, the expansion of pokemon is great and having more pokemon is fantastic but what about all the ones who'll sink further in the shadows and be forgotten like poor old Grumpig?
    ORAS? I'm excited

Indieformer

Well, the expansion of pokemon is great and having more pokemon is fantastic but what about all the ones who'll sink further in the shadows and be forgotten like poor old Grumpig?
    Who says Grumpig is "forgotten" and what do they use to support that notion? It was available as a wild capture in B2, a first for it.

what about all the ones who'll sink further in the shadows and be forgotten like poor old Grumpig?
    As said, what is it specifically that makes Grumpig or any other single critter "forgotten"?

Is it that it isn't as prominent as certain others by way of not playing a vital role in games, not appearing in other mediums and/or not appearing on merchandise? That's absolutely true, for Grumpig and any number of others. But it was also absolutely true when there were 151/251/386/493/649 critters total. And if Grumpig is still notable enough to you for you to bring it up in this discussion, then it's not forgotten, is it?

-----
    Words to|live by

I think it was a great way for Gamefreak to show that they weren't getting complacent with the games. They seemed to do a lot more bucking of previous trends in gen V than the previous Gen's which I see as a great thing. The first 3 games were able to introduce a lot of exciting new game mechanics, but by the end of gen 3 it looked like they got the overall mechanical completexity where it needed to be. So gen 4 seemed to be mostly just a few refinements in comparision.*Gen V partially combated this by mixing things up in the single player game, which made it feel a little more exciting.

The breaking of what formerly appeared to be sacred cow in the games makes me a little more excited for new games, since who knows what things they might do different in gen 6 and later.

It also introduced Triple/Rotation Battles and the item launcher which a great idea. (if only the new battle styles were utilized a little more in single player)

*Physical/Special Split was an excellent addition, but it was more of a balance improvement rather than a completely new game element.
    Last edited by Zazie; 10th January 2013 at 5:41 AM.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    You do know Unova is based on a huge city and city's have trash problems, right? Hence, a trash Pokemon.

What's so bad about Garbador? And no, saying "it is a Pokemon based off of trash" is not a valid answer.
    It's a pokemon that stink's of some designer running out of idea's and turning the first thing he saw in the office into a pokemon. if it looked decent id be fine with it, but its literally just a garbage bag with eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by master54100 View Post
    It's a pokemon that stink's of some designer running out of idea's and turning the first thing he saw in the office into a pokemon. if it looked decent id be fine with it, but its literally just a garbage bag with eyes.
    ...Or there's the logical assumption which posits that somebody simply thought that a bag of garbage would be a nice parallel to Gen I's resident pile of sludge, since they were going for parallels.

Here's a good rule of thumb:
    -Unique Pokemon designs like ice cream and trash bags = Creative.
    -Using the worn-out and wholly incorrect "they ran out of ideas" argument = Not creative.

On the other hand, Pidgey is literally just a bird, which you can see plenty of just by looking out of an office window, so I guess they've been out of ideas since Gen I.
    Last edited by Endolise; 10th January 2013 at 6:03 AM.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast