Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen V's legacy on the series

Lol guys people having their own opinions so try not to shove it down their throats.

I personally think that Gen Five well... was a bit... not gonna say boring, but more tame. There was nothing ground-breaking like what the other gens introduced. Gen I introduced... well, Pokemon. Gen II gave the Special Split, Gen III brought abilities and EVs/IVs (I think) to the table, Gen IV introduced the Physical/Special Split, which made some moves more viable than others. Gen V... well, one can argue that it brought Dream World Abilities, but that was an add-on to the already implemented feature in Abilities. While three abilities is a fistful to choose from, it still isn't really that "groundbreaking".

As for the games itself, it really broke tradition. The usual rock type gym was banished into the deepest container, and brought new ideas in terms of a trio-leader, and a properly-recognised Sequel. Gen V also brought cool-jelly stuff to the table, such as 3D, enhancement in breeding mechanics, new type combinations and an "isolation" where no older pokemon could be caught as well as the last trainer to be fought before the main story is completed not a champion, seasons and more. Black 2 and White 2 brought even more features in the form of PWT - able to battle all gym leaders -, further enhancements in breeding and aspects of shiny hunting, expanded area from the previous BW as well as the ability to catch multiple old legendaries: Regi trio, Lake trio, Lati@s... Hidden Grotto also is another breakthrough, giving a free-legit way to farm DW Pokemon in-game.

Overall, IMO, 5th Gen is definitely a fast-paced gen. Despite it not introducing HUGE mechanic changes to the table, it'll still be considered as a good gen (say all you want genwunners) and BW2 is considered some of the best games by many.~

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by zozo View Post
    I think Gen V will be remembered, among other things, for the new lease on life it gave to many of the older Pokemon through Hidden Abilities.

The Dream World had an absolutely huge impact on the metagame. Pokemon that were never used whatsoever all of a sudden became viable. And I'm not just looking at the obvious Politoed and Ninetales here, Pokemon like Butterfree, which was an absolute joke prior to Gen V, was given Tinted Lens and Quiver dance and, hey presto, suddenly it has potential to be a sweeper?. Sableye came back from the dead to be a havoc-wreaking little imp thanks to Prankster being added to its already nice collection of status moves. Blaziken got sent to ubers, all kinds of crazy things happened because of the Dream World! Whether you're for these changes or you absolutely hated them, you have to admit that a lot of stuff changed thanks to that collection of internet side-games!
    Agreed, along with the eviolite. Who woulda thought Chansey and blissey would actually be fighting for dominance in the metagame?
    John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life

My mane pokeymanz in x
    facebook.com/geeksforjesus
    2ds friend code - 4613 7899 0504
    Looking for: purified shadow pokemon, pokemon in hg/ss exclusive pokeballs, y exclusive mega stones

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Demon View Post
    some of the pokemon, Vannilice & Garbardor are terrible!
    And why are they "terrible"? And no, saying "lol ice cream/trash Pokemon" is not a valid answer.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Garbardor is fine, but Vanniluxe...... why did they take a consumable thing and out eyes on it? I mean, a trash bag does make sense to an extent (mutation out of the filth and such), but Vani has a very strange shape for something that is supposed to be alive and the connotation behind it is very strange for a Pokémon. IT is like putting gogly eyes on a sock, or a pencil.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

Quote Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
    Garbardor is fine, but Vanniluxe...... why did they take a consumable thing and out eyes on it? I mean, a trash bag does make sense to an extent (mutation out of the filth and such), but Vani has a very strange shape for something that is supposed to be alive and the connotation behind it is very strange for a Pokémon. IT is like putting gogly eyes on a sock, or a pencil.
    Vanillite is a mutant too, at least according to the Pokedex. It cloaks itself in snow and, by coincidence, resembles what we call ice cream. Presumably, the people in the Pokemon world (that place really needs a name) were inspired to create ice cream in the shape of Vanillite because it's an Ice-type and they figured that such an appearance would be fitting for a chilled treat. Kinda like how we have ice cream designed to look like cartoon characters, only under a more clever logic.

Regardless, you could say the same thing about Exeggcute or Cherubi. Using food as the basis for a Pokemon design does have a precedence.
    Last edited by Endolise; 10th January 2013 at 4:33 PM.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Garbardor is fine, but Vanniluxe...... why did they take a consumable thing and out eyes on it?
    Exeggcute.

*inb4"Exxeguteisn'teggs"isposted*
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

drifloon/drifblim are balloons, magnemite and family are magnets. anything can be a pokemon, there is no definition of how a pokemon should or should not look like. its whether people accept the designs or not.
    Platinum friend code: 0474 6676 4516
    Black 2 friend code: 3225 3453 6809
        Spoiler:- dream world females i can breed: :

in-game events
    wifi events
    trades
    RE
    hatched(with SC no MM):
    current shiny hunt:egg count:56

Gen 5 is a great generation..but it's not the best generation

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Belmont View Post
    Gen 5 is a great generation..but it's not the best generation
    i think that gen 5 was the worst, but not by that far.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    i think that gen 5 was the worst, but not by that far.
    I like Gen 5 more than Gen 4 and 2. Here's my personal opinion:
    Hoenn>Kanto>Unova>Sinnoh>Johto

What I like in Gen5 is as you travel longer along your journey there will be NPCs like doctors and nurses ready to heal you and it's very convenient.
    Though I liked Sinnoh the best, especially Platinum.

Reusable TMs. THANK YOU.

Also, sequels! Sure, they were stop-gappy, but sequels nonetheless!
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

I think we got a more fleshed out story with Gen V (I'm not saying the previous stories were not developed). The villainous team seemed to be more complex. We got an internet haven for people wanted to expand the game experience. We went geographical out of Japan (only counting main series) in Gen V with America, and we will presumably do it with France this Generation.

Cipher sent us to hell - but we're going even deeper - take back every Pokemon that we've lost!
    Wakin, I'm already a demon...
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno.Fan View Post
    I think that Gen V got a lot more people into Pokemon again. I know that I was more hyped for Black/White than I have been for a Pokemon game since Gen II.
    This is me.

I'm going to miss Gen V a lot. So many things I loved in it.

And I hope they use the reception of the storyline to make an even better one in Gen VI. Also, make even better music!

I liked the change of camera angles the games rarely brought but other than that, I'm a little bit less impressed (let's say it felt quite underwhelming) with the new featured pokémon which Generation 5 / Unova brought.

I think it will be remembered because in Japan, they split the anime series of this gen into three parts. Not to mention the story of Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem.

there is one more thing in gen 5 that was revolutionary but most people missed out on. black/white 2 gave us the ability to move multiple pokemon which previous gens could not. this made organizing boxes easier and more convenient
    Platinum friend code: 0474 6676 4516
    Black 2 friend code: 3225 3453 6809
        Spoiler:- dream world females i can breed: :

in-game events
    wifi events
    trades
    RE
    hatched(with SC no MM):
    current shiny hunt:egg count:56

Quote Originally Posted by MAGAX View Post
    there is one more thing in gen 5 that was revolutionary but most people missed out on. black/white 2 gave us the ability to move multiple pokemon which previous gens could not. this made organizing boxes easier and more convenient
    They also gave us the ability to register multiple items AND whole menus.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno.Fan View Post
    I think that Gen V got a lot more people into Pokemon again. I know that I was more hyped for Black/White than I have been for a Pokemon game since Gen II.
    Actually, you're right. When my sister and I first found out about Black and White, we tried playing through our original games (Ruby for me, Firered for her) before getting Black and White. That really got me back into Pokemon from around two years of depriving myself of Pokemon...
    Currently not playing any Pokemon Games, you can check my Backloggery for games that I AM playing, if you're interested:

If I'm playing a Pokemon game, I'll have my signature display the game I'm playing, current team, and badge number.

Am i the only one who thinks that Generation V had the best soundtrack of any generation?
    That could be one of it's legacies.

I believe Gen V's Legacy on the series will be the introduction of Triple Battling! It may not be used much now, but in the future, it could just become just as fun and popular as Doubles! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

Quote Originally Posted by MAGAX View Post
    You can do that in Emerald. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    Exeggcute.

*inb4"Exxeguteisn'teggs"isposted*
    Our topic is the 5th gen. Why do people feel the need to attack the first gen after something has been said about vanniluxe? To be fair, eggs are natural occurences, ice-cream is purposely shaped and made by humans to be a food.

Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

Our topic is the 5th gen. Why do people feel the need to attack the first gen after something has been said about vanniluxe? To be fair, eggs are natural occurences, ice-cream is purposely shaped and made by humans to be a food.
    Yes, but Vanillite isn't actually made of ice cream. It's made of ice and snow, which are natural occurrences.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    Yes, but Vanillite isn't actually made of ice cream. It's made of ice and snow, which are natural occurrences.
    My main argument was about the shape, not the material it was made from. My table is made from wood, a natural material, but can you go to the wild and find a nature grown or made table? If Vaniluxe was created by humans, I'd have no problems with it.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast