Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Gen V's legacy on the series

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Tynamo, Ferroseed and Drillbur were also new cave-dwelling Pokémon with no real counterparts found in the past.
    Tynamo and Ferroseed aren't recurring cave dwellers, they only appear in one or two spots in the game. Furthermore, nothing really says that those two are pure cave dwellers, it would not be unreasonable to find Ferroseed in a forest or Tynamo by surfing/fishing/diving.

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    No, but they also shouldn't disqualify something just because they did something vaguely related before.

Tell me what logical justification should there be to never ever ever create any further Pokemon based on bats, even though there are hundreds if unique species of bats?
    Of course they shouldn't never make a bat species again. But it'd be better to use other more unique species first and then come back to bats when they run out of ideas.
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 17th January 2013 at 2:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    True, but the fact of the matter is that they don't need to follow real life perfectly. There's plenty of other more unique cave dwelling animals they could choose from which are completely different from the usual bats and rocks that we usually get. What about an earthworm? A spider (okay, we did get that, but it only appeared in one cave in the game)? A bear? There's any number of things they could've done which would've been more unique than a slightly different looking bat.
    If we got an earthworm, it'd probably look like Diglett. For spider, it also isn't completely unreasonable to find them anywhere else, it isn't an exclusive cave-dweller. We had Cubchoo and later Beartic for bears too.

I mean honestly, what other animals can you find in caves? Not much really.
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

Furthermore, nothing really says that those two are pure cave dwellers, it would not be unreasonable to find Ferroseed in a forest or Tynamo by surfing/fishing/diving.
    And yet they're found in caves. One might say they dwell there. By definition, they are cavedwellers, even if they aren't exclusively so. Geodude wouldn't necessarily exclusively be a cavedweller, would it? Couldn't you just as easily find it in a rocky area outside?

But it'd be better to use other more unique species first and then come back to bats when they run out of ideas.
    That's the flaw in your argument. Bats in particular are an animal with so many different subspecies, and were adapted as such, that to claim they aren't unique based solely on what is basically the vaguest shared biological origin is questionable, at best.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

I think sandshrew is drillbur s counterpart. But unovas voltorb counterpart is a mushrom, chanceys ciunterpart is a rabbt. I think they just wanted to mimic real world, where some niches are filled by related animals. Ex- tigers are counterparts of lions in asia. Jguars are counterparts of lions in south america. Wekk, i thinkgen v is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Heaper View Post
    I mean honestly, what other animals can you find in caves? Not much really.
    Snakes, various bugs, predatory beasts (wildcats, wolves, dragons). And who says they have to be animals as well? They could base Pokemon on various types of plants and fungi as well, like mushrooms and moss and stuff.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Snakes, various bugs, predatory beasts (wildcats, wolves, dragons). And who says they have to be animals as well? They could base Pokemon on various types of plants and fungi as well, like mushrooms and moss and stuff.
    Using your logic that there shouldn't be any more than one bat Pokemon and applying that to everything else, we've already a snake Pokemon, bug Pokemon, wolves, dragons, wild cats, plants, mushrooms...by your own criteria, none of that works.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Snakes, we had Onix. Bugs include Paras and Durant. For predatory beasts, we also have Bagon, Deino and Gible. As for plants and fungi, I'd like to bring up Paras again. All those things you've mentioned, we had Pokemon based off of them.

Using your logic that there shouldn't be any more than one bat Pokemon and applying that to everything else, we've already a snake Pokemon, bug Pokemon, wolves, dragons, wild cats, plants, mushrooms...by your own criteria, none of that works.
    I never said there shouldn't be more than one bat, I said they shouldn't make bat Pokemon all of the time. Switch it up every gen. But categories like "bugs" and "predatory beasts" are vague enough that they can use dozens of different species of them and still be unique. The same can't be said for more specific types of animals like bats and snakes and stuff, though, not to the same degree.

I never said there shouldn't be more than one bat, I said they shouldn't make bat Pokemon all of the time. Switch it up every gen. But categories like "bugs" and "predatory beasts" are vague enough that they can use dozens of different species of them and still be unique. The same can't be said for more specific types of animals like bats and snakes and stuff, though, not to the same degree.
    We have a rattlesnake, a cobra, a viper, and a grass snake, 4 types of snakes. At the same time we have the generic bat, and the heart-nosed bat, 2 types of bats. There have been snakes for 3 of the 5 generations, while bats for only 2 of them. By your logic, we should have less snakes in the future. And don't even start on frogs/tadpoles.

I never said there shouldn't be more than one bat, I said they shouldn't make bat Pokemon all of the time. Switch it up every gen.
    But that's exactly what they did. Zubat and Woobat have three whole Gens between them.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Heaper View Post
    We have a rattlesnake, a cobra, a viper, and a grass snake, 4 types of snakes. At the same time we have the generic bat, and the heart-nosed bat, 2 types of bats. There have been snakes for 3 of the 5 generations, while bats for only 2 of them. By your logic, we should have less snakes in the future. And don't even start on frogs/tadpoles.
    Well then they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    But that's exactly what they did. Zubat and Woobat have three whole Gens between them.
    Three whole gens in which Zubat was seen all of the time.

But why is that a problem, though?

-----
    Words to|live by

I am completey against your argument mr. too many bats.
    I do see where you are coming from though. Bats generally look similar. Least where I'm from.
    I'll admit yeah, I saw all the repeats as a bit of a drag at first. THIS is the fresh Gen, the rebirth. GF can only get so far with generic things, then they got to specific things. THen they need a clean slate, cause they can't find unique things. I hve a 3-inch binder filled with fake pokemon I made for fun. I got some neat unique ones here and there, but most of them are either extremely generic, extremely specific bases, and stuff that was made in 05 and looks like a legless bisharp. I used to make them 1 a every week or so... now being so specific, I need months to find a unique creature. So until you can make 649 unique looking creatures that don't resemble each other, stop complaining. Sorry about being rude, I just came to this thread hoping about FAVORITE things about this generation itself, not someone ranting on about how awful the woobat line is. I respect your different opinion. I don't mean to challenge you or anything, just think you need to look at the other side of this debate, b4 criticizing them about 30 repeats by your account.

I think this gen had some of the best legendaries, I have been wanting a dragon ice since early D/P.
    It was too short IMO.
    LIke a James pAtterson chapter. Like one maximum ride book 3 epilougue!
    Last edited by Rotomknight; 17th January 2013 at 4:20 AM.
    They say if you press cntrl and W you get to see the programming of a website after making a signature with 3 ws and 8qs
    Fanfics I like that are still in production: Author's Run, Pokémon emerald the better version

This the aquabats song awesome forces:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4sL0w3SHM
    and here is their song shark fighter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wchrctxFo

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...2#post14945242

We had three snake Pokemon in Gen I alone!

OMG! GTFO GAMEFREAK! Too many snakes!
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Three whole gens in which Zubat was seen all of the time.
    Because they were busy creating other Pokémon.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467

Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

3? The only snake pokemon were Ekans and Arbok. Not unless you count Onix as a snake. Also, the reason they make various pokemon based on the same species is because there are different kinds of said species. Like there are many types of snakes.

FC: 4699-6505-4258

IGN: Diva

Quote Originally Posted by cascadethewarrior View Post
    3? The only snake pokemon were Ekans and Arbok. Not unless you count Onix as a snake.
    Onix, the Rock Snake Pokemon.

Well, Gen. V obviously has brought in more Pokémon than any other generation yet, so the Pokémon will definetely be remembered (trash bags and ice creams aren't the worst ideas). As a whole, I personally love Gen V. I remeber several years back being so excited for its coming, and it still has another 10 months left (though I feel that the Anime will introduce some sort of Gen VI Pokémon, like Togepi in the Kanto series). But, it was a very quick generation, compared to most others.

Magikarp used splash! It's a one-hit KO!

Onix, the Rock Snake Pokemon.
    Just because something has snake in it's name does not mean it is based on a snake. It's possible the Onix was based on a Wyrm not a snake. I could be wrong though.

FC: 4699-6505-4258

IGN: Diva

Quote Originally Posted by cascadethewarrior View Post
    Just because something has snake in it's name does not mean it is based on a snake. It's possible the Onix was based on a Wyrm not a snake. I could be wrong though.
    You do have a point, as Pikachu is really a pika despite being labelled as a Mouse Pokémon, but personally, I think that Onix is just a snake.
    Last edited by Endolise; 17th January 2013 at 11:01 PM.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467

In Gen 1 alone, we had many Pokemon based off of humans. Mr. Mime, Alakazam, Machamp. There is only one species of human that I've heard about. They were so uncreative about it, they were put into the breeding group called "Humanshape" in Gen II. Very creative Gamefreak, I wanted to fight with animals, not peoples.

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

I think Gen V was a good generation. The new idea of TM's not breaking is one milestone that everyone is happy arrived. I personally began prasining God when I found out that would be the case.

The Pokemon were faily controversial. Vanilluxe's line and Trubbish's line will forever be mocked by the non-Pokemon fans or people-who-used-to-be-fans-ands-refuse-to-play-the-new-ones, but you're going to have those every gen.

The story was definitely a great milestone. It set a new standard for the future (well I hope it does).
    Want to watch some funny videos?
    Check out MandJTV, a channel where Raccoon Man, a hero nobler than any other, serves justice and does a few other ridiculous (and funny) things.
    [IMG]http://i48.*******.com/1o7ho6.jpg[/IMG]

Of course they shouldn't never make a bat species again. But it'd be better to use other more unique species first and then come back to bats when they run out of ideas.
    When I first heard of Woobat, the first thing I said (after making fun of its name) was along the lines of 'A Psychic Zubat? That's AWESOME!' It's great they came up with a great PKMN, but it's sad I called it another Pokemon.

If Anything, and this might be nostalgia talking, but they shouldn't update the Sugimori art, so younger fans don't forget there was a GenI.

I'll talk more Bout my earlier post, but my phone's Almost dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

Out of all the achievements of generation V, the option to use another repel as soon as the previous one ran out was the hallmark of this iteration. Thank you Gamefreak! I hope you will continue this trend of making things more streamlined and efficient for us lazy bums.

Alpha Sapphire --> Arceus is the Alpha pokemon --> Arceus is a generation 4 pokemon --> Sinnoh confirmed!!

(Yeah, get used to it now, because this is what you're going to have to put up with for the next 5-7 years)

Quote Originally Posted by Jdrawer View Post
    If Anything, and this might be nostalgia talking, but they shouldn't update the Sugimori art, so younger fans don't forget there was a GenI.
    That's definitely the nostalgia talking. Saying that critters shouldn't get new fully-realized art after nearly two decades just so the younger fans don't forget the existence of games they couldn't possibly care less about is not a reasonable idea.

-----
    Words to|live by

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast