Thread: 252 attack / speed Pineco HO NU team.

Default 252 attack / speed Pineco HO NU team.

I'm not creative with thread names. I wanted to make an NU team based around my old RU team, which peaked on both Smogon and PO ladders without ever actually losing.

You think I was joking about the offensive Pineco?

@ Custap Berry
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Lonely Nature
    IVs: 2 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Explosion
    - Earthquake

This is an offensive Pineco. **** Garbodor, this is NU's REAL spiker. With Pineco's Defense IVs set to 0 and a Lonely nature most of the time Pineco gets hit with a OHKO, and survives due to Sturdy. Next turn Custap Berry activates and Pineco Spikes. Sometimes the opponent tries to setup rocks or Shell Smash. This is even better, because Pineco gets more layers down and on the turn Custap activates it can Explode or Earthquake for decent damage. Earthquake also hits the most common NU Taunter Skuntank with a solid 2HKO. 2 HP IVs makes me as frail as possible while guaranteeing Custap activates with only three hits from Stealth Rocks. Words can not express how successful this thing is. The lack of competent spinners in NU really adds to the devastation Pineco is capable of. Even the speed EVs, an otherwise retarded idea on something with 15 base speed serve a purpose. Reaching a laughable 129 speed Pineco can now outrun 0 speed Torkoal (yes it actually needs to invest in speed to do so), Armaldo, Duosion, Musharna, Golem, Bastiodon, Carracosta, Wormadam, Camerupt, Gurdurr, Beheeyem, Lairon, Cradily, and Throh. Though it has Custap Berry it is nice to outrun those things to either guarantee hazards or to Explode before they Rapid Spin. Blowing up on a Rapid Spinner is awesome because its like a one time use 250 base power U-turn. Pineco is my lead literally 100% of the time even though it loses to offensive Rock Blast Golem and Armaldo (provided they run any speed). Gardevoir is my lead in team preview so I often get to face off against Skuntank, and freely Earthquake as they Taunt.

@ Life Orb
    Trait: Trace
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Psychic
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Memento

Life Orb Gardevoir is impossible for anything to switch in on safely with Spikes + SR up. Even Regice and that licking thing are KOed by Psychic + Focus Blast. 125 base Special Attack is nothing to laugh at and 80 base speed is passable in NU. Trace rocks because it lets me check Rain Dance and Chlorophyll sweepers. It also gives Gardevoir the ability to copy Regenerator and Natural Cure, keeping it alive longer. Though Skuntank sort of counters this (except not really at all) Gardevoir is faster and can just Memento. This usually leads to a Linoone sweep and ends the game.

@ Life Orb
    Trait: Solid Rock
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature
    - Shell Smash
    - Aqua Jet
    - Stone Edge
    - Ice Beam

Carracosta is a very underestimated threat in NU. Due to Aqua Jet standard Scarfers like Rotom and Braviary can not switch in unless they are at full HP. With rocks down I only have to lure those scarfers out once before they are in KO range for +2 Aqua Jet. Boosted Stone Edge hits very hard, OHKOing basically everything that doesn't resist it. The accuracy sucks I guess but Rock Slide is too weak. Ice Beam one shots every Grass type in the tier after Stealth Rocks besides Ludicolo (who dies to Stone Edge). Due to Solid Rock and its extreme bulk it can easily set up on Scarf Stone Edges or even a -1 Superpower. Rock typing gives me a useful Flying resist.

@ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Substitute
    - Shell Smash

Gorebyss is somewhat standard so there isn't much to say about it. I use the eel to lure in Scarf Rotom so it can take a hit from Stealth Rocks. At that point the opponent is usually open to a Carracosta sweep. After a Shell Smash very little can survive a boosted hit especially with Stealth Rocks and Spikes down. For example Samurott is OHKOed by +2 Surf while even Ludicolo falls in one hit to a boosted Ice Beam. Regice and the licking demon? Also destroyed. I know White Herb is a usable option but I never found myself using it. It's also nice knowing I can take a big chunk out of something without Shell Smashing.

@ Sitrus Berry
    Trait: Pickup
    EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Def / 44 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Belly Drum
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Seed Bomb
    - Shadow Claw

Linoone is utterly devastating in a tier with few Steels or Ghosts. It has significant bulk with Sitrus Berry + defensive EVs meaning it can Belly Drum against a massive range of threats. Spikes + SRs, as with all Pokemon on this team, lead to more KOs. Things like the sun fish and Miltank struggle to survive boosted hits with entry hazards. Though Seed Bomb handles Regirock it can't finish the job against Bastiodon. This isn't much of a problem because all I have to do is lure it in with Drifblim. After taking some previous damage it can no longer survive +6 Seed Bomb. Smogon suggests running speed to beat Haunter, however this is retarded as Haunter is on just 7% of teams and can't even OHKO Linoone anyway. Bulk > Speed.

@ Flying Gem
    Trait: Unburden
    EVs: 252 Atk / 80 SAtk / 176 Spd
    Lonely Nature
    - Acrobatics
    - Substitute
    - Explosion
    - Shadow Ball

My Spin Blocker even though it basically never beats any of them. This isn't important. NU Spinners are slow and shitty. Drifblim is effective at preventing a Rapid Spin and ripping about 50% off the common spinners which puts them in KO range of literally everything. Acrobatics + Explosion generally gives me two free kills especially against teams that lack a solid physical wall that can also tank Shadow Balls. After Acrobatics Drifblim outruns everything in the tier. 176 Speed outruns Modest Ludicolo before the Unburden boost. Shadow Ball is extremely weak but lets me destroy Musharna and Weezing more easily. Explosion is cool when Rotom switches in on Acrobatics, usually paving the way to a Gorebyss sweep.

Anyhow that's the team. Spikes HO!

HO with no screens,
    Looks like someone is trying to be a badass!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    I'm not creative with thread names. I wanted to make an NU team based around my old RU team, which peaked on both Smogon and PO ladders without ever actually losing.
    Hey, remember that one time I beat you?

Nope, me neither.

You think I was joking about the offensive Pineco?
    Yes?

@ Custap Berry
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Lonely Nature
    IVs: 2 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Explosion
    - Earthquake

Seriously though, for how gimmicky it seems at first, looks pretty interesting and awesome. Good job.

@ Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Substitute
    - Shell Smash
    Okay, this is my only constructive comment on the team. I don't like Sub + Life Orb. I don't like it, too much residual damage + taking attacks as well really wouldn't sit well with me. I don't play the tier much, but there's gotta be something you're not OHKOing. Maybe HP Grass for Alomomola? I really don't know, just something to think about.

As usual, looks good.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

Hate to spoil on your Pineco's parade, but Custap berry is only obtainable from DPPt.

From Smogon:
    "The problem with this is, of course, that it's all theoretical. Items cannot be transferred from DPP to BW, and so Custap Berry has gone the same way as Berserk Gene for the time being. But who knows? We may well see it again at some point. Fingers crossed."

Quote Originally Posted by fire r a g e View Post
    Hate to spoil on your Pineco's parade, but Custap berry is only obtainable from DPPt.

From Smogon:
    "The problem with this is, of course, that it's all theoretical. Items cannot be transferred from DPP to BW, and so Custap Berry has gone the same way as Berserk Gene for the time being. But who knows? We may well see it again at some point. Fingers crossed."
    Cutsap berry was just relesed. Check the Serebii Homepage. If you participated in the tournement, you can get one.

Ah, okay. Thanks for letting me know.

So this team is ridiculous. I love it
    Pineco is crazy and stupid but brilliant.

The only thing I can really say is why Pickup on Linoon. There's no point .__.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoopes View Post
    xD

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

@ Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Substitute
    - Shell Smash

Gorebyss is somewhat standard so there isn't much to say about it. I use the eel to lure in Scarf Rotom so it can take a hit from Stealth Rocks. At that point the opponent is usually open to a Carracosta sweep. After a Shell Smash very little can survive a boosted hit especially with Stealth Rocks and Spikes down. For example Samurott is OHKOed by +2 Surf while even Ludicolo falls in one hit to a boosted Ice Beam. Regice and the licking demon? Also destroyed. I know White Herb is a usable option but I never found myself using it. It's also nice knowing I can take a big chunk out of something without Shell Smashing.
    I don't know how this works out, but Conventionally Life Orb with Substitute is somewhat counterproductive due to all that Residual damage not allowing you to set subs as often as you'd like? Demos?

@ Sitrus Berry
    Trait: Pickup
    EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Def / 44 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Belly Drum
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Seed Bomb
    - Shadow Claw

Linoone is utterly devastating in a tier with few Steels or Ghosts. It has significant bulk with Sitrus Berry + defensive EVs meaning it can Belly Drum against a massive range of threats. Spikes + SRs, as with all Pokemon on this team, lead to more KOs. Things like the sun fish and Miltank struggle to survive boosted hits with entry hazards. Though Seed Bomb handles Regirock it can't finish the job against Bastiodon. This isn't much of a problem because all I have to do is lure it in with Drifblim. After taking some previous damage it can no longer survive +6 Seed Bomb. Smogon suggests running speed to beat Haunter, however this is retarded as Haunter is on just 7% of teams and can't even OHKO Linoone anyway. Bulk > Speed.

WHY Pickup? I get avoiding Gluttony to pick up the HP boost when It's really needed, but why not at least go for quick feet? Seeing that your Linoone is Bulky Many thing will have a chance to rain on your Parade. A Speed Boost never hurts when you're facing Thunder Waves.....
    Feel Free to Engage a certain Soul_Fly on Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown!
    You'll likely end up getting free ladder points due to my constant tendency to test out gimmicky teams.

LAWL. Lucario RULEZZ