View Poll Results: Are Nostalgia critics & trolls have a valid opinion?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Without a doubt, The Pokémon series became worse & worse after Generation 3

14 23.73%
  • No: These plonkers shouldn't be considered as true Pokémon fans at all!

45 76.27%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Annoying Nostalgia Critics & Trolls

As a fan of Generations 1 and 2, I'm honestly tired of seeing threads like this that slam people like us. We don't slam others (at least I don't) for liking other generations, stop hating on us.

There seriously needs to be a rule against threads like this, it's basically a "let's slam all the nostalgia fans/so-called Genwunners" party, and a breeding ground for flame wars. This is getting really old and annoying.

I like Gens I and II better, you like the newer gens, great. Life goes on. Let's quit with this generation bashing.
    Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Unova Champion

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Michael View Post
    As a fan of Generations 1 and 2, I'm honestly tired of seeing threads like this that slam people like us. We don't slam others (at least I don't) for liking other generations, stop hating on us.

There seriously needs to be a rule against threads like this, it's basically a "let's slam all the nostalgia fans/so-called Genwunners" party, and a breeding ground for flame wars. This is getting really old and annoying.

I like Gens I and II better, you like the newer gens, great. Life goes on. Let's quit with this generation bashing.

yeah, just close this and make a rule about opening them.

yeah i love gen one the most but gen 6 looks like its going to fun.

its a feaking video game people.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post

I know, right? People are acting like this is politics or something.

Everyone, remember.......it's just a game. No need to act like this is the end of the world if someone doesn't like your favorite Generation.
    Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Unova Champion

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Well, I personally loved Gen II, it's always been my favorite, as it introduced more then half of my favorite Pokemon (Gen IV comes in second). Playing HG/SS was probably the best thing ever. It was also the last Pokemon RPG I played. I didn't like Gen V at all besides a very short list of Pokemon. So I left the series, I still paid a lot of attention to it, but I just didn't get into it as I have for previous Gen's. Now that Gen VI is coming in, I'm getting all sorts of excited, and I'm someone who's followed the games since they were localized.

I don't bash Gen V on every post, but this a public forum, and if I see a thread asking about my opinion on Generations, I'm going to say it. There is a mature way to talk about your dislike for something or why you don't like a certain thing.

I'll always think the Pokemon from Gen V are the worst the series has offered, like I thought about Gen III before that, its an opinion that isn't going to change, I respect that they are there to use, I just won't use any of them.

I don't understand why people don't get that either.
    #BuyUltraviolance

Quote Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
    But when someone replies and says, I think the ___ of te older gens ws better, they ruined this in the newer ones, they are called a genwunner.
    "Ruined" is a silly, over-dramatic term. Changing "Tin Tower" to "Bell Tower" didn't ruin the game. Designing Vanillite didn't ruin the game. Getting rid of Contests didn't ruin the game. None of the games have been rendered totally unplayable as a result of the series' natural progression.

As others have said, if somebody prefers Gen I over Gen V, then that's fine; I couldn't care less. Personally, I think the Gen I games are boring, slow, mundane, and lack any semblance of both plot and replay value, and that the Kanto region is a barren wasteland devoid of anything worthwhile. Should everybody think that? No. Am I going to force that opinion down other peoples' throats? No.

What I can't stand is blatant, nostalgia-tainted hypocrisy. For example, if somebody says that Trubbish has a bad design and honestly feels that way simply because the design doesn't appeal to them, then I think that's okay. I'm not a big fan of the Slakoth line myself; we all have preferences. However, when somebody says that Trubbish is a sign that either "Game Freak went too far" OR the classic "Game Freak is running out of ideas," I take issue. First off, there is no standard for what should and shouldn't be an acceptable Pokemon design. Arbok is a cobra, Jynx is a ganguro girl, Meganium is a dinosaur, Kricketune is a cricket, and Klinklang is a gear system. None of those are any more valid of a design basis than the others. Second, saying that they are "running out of ideas" is so illogical that I fail to see why it is such a popular argument against newer Pokemon. Not only are Trubbish and Vanillite legitimate products of creativity, the entire statement is just a gaping hole in logic since the mere fact that Game Freak continues to innovate and produce new things is hard proof that they are not, in fact, "running out of ideas." If they were, then we wouldn't have new Pokemon or new games, period. Unless, of course, every new game was just another remake, but then the series would begin to wither away and die as a result of the unending repetition and lack of growth.

And seriously. If somebody looks at a picture of Froakie and says "Oh my god, they are ruining Pokemon!!!", it makes them look incredibly stupid. Stupid for claiming that something as insignificant as a new and comparatively down-to-earth Pokemon can tear down the reputation of the entire franchise, and for acting as though they are the prime authority in matters concerning "what Pokemon should be, even though they aren't the ones making it."
    Last edited by Endolise; 10th January 2013 at 6:34 PM.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

The problem with arguing about video games is that its compleatly pointless. Everyone has their own feels and what they like and what they don't. Arguing with someone about video game gets you nowhere and ruins friendships. Its basically yelling at a brick wall.

also lol I voted for the top one as well. I don't really think the series is going downhill I just couldn't vote for the bottom option cause it bashed me and other gen 1 fans. Jerk poll answer are jerks. bias people be bias, complainers be complainers, ******* be crazy.

NNID: Antagonistgreen | 3DS FC: 4727-5570-4170

Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch | Deviant Art | Miiverse
    Palletshipping | Cafemochashipping | Namelessshipping

in fact i can see most people,if not everyone here, are not genwunners. real genwunners wont even be in this forum anyway since they probably have not played any games beyond gen 2 and do not have any interest in pokemon today. genwunners argue with people who are still interested in pokemon today elsewhere(in real life or somewhere else on the internet), which makes the second group of people the anti-genwunners. this explains the high amount of anti-genwunners in this forum as compared to actual genwunners
    Last edited by MAGAX; 10th January 2013 at 6:42 PM.
    Platinum friend code: 0474 6676 4516
    Black 2 friend code: 3225 3453 6809
        Spoiler:- dream world females i can breed: :

in-game events
    wifi events
    trades
    RE
    hatched(with SC no MM):
    current shiny hunt:egg count:56

Wow, this poll is terrible.

I really hate the term "true fan" and I do not agree with the the yes option at all.

Anyway, everyone has their own opinion. Some people like to be super aggressive with it, but you can just tune them out if they bother you that much.

I feel that they really don't understand how to take off their nostalgia shades. They also don't understand the concepts of being true fans.

Thank you based Turpoo

Hasn't there already been a thread for this?

eh, that aside. They are entitled to thier opinion, and we are entitled to ours. As long as everyone is willing ot agree to disagree, and not bash others for their opinions, I really could care less.
    Take a moment to consider just how nothing nothing really is....If you understand this, then you just solved the universe.

The truth that each person...each soul...is a book. And when we lay our feelings out in the open...and we give them no name...and we give them no author....and we give them no description.....who will actually read them..........?"

Credit to Eevee for the amazing banner.
    Current fanfiction project: Pokemon: Absolution

I don't think there is such thing as a "true-fan" I don't think disliking anything makes you less of a fan then others.
    #BuyUltraviolance

Quote Originally Posted by Zecaomes View Post
    I don't mind people who prefer Gen 1, but I ust don't like how they dislike newer Generations just because they're new. It's not like they gave it a chance and were not satisfaed, they just straight hate the new Generations without any reason
    These are exactly the kind of people that I'm talking about. Not giving a detailed reason as to why they dislike the newer generation!

Apologies if I give of that kind of vibe, If you have a respectable reason as to why then I respect that. Bashing the newer generation without any depth just makes you look ignorant...
    Pokemon X: 1435 - 4013 - 1487 (,,)

I am searching for the following Pokemon
    (Modest), (Modest), (Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Jolly/Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Modest), (Jolly/Adamant)

I can provide you with the following Pokemon…
    (Timid), (Jolly), (Timid), (Rash), (Bold), (Careful), (Relaxed with Seismic Toss).

I’m also offering a legit Shiny Foongus. Looking for a good natured shiny in return!

I know right, you can't even say any nice thing about the older gens without people swarming on you and sitcking and etiquette on your forehead that says genwunner.
    Indeed... When I say I like the first two generations of Pokemon, the older anime seasons, that I'm Misty's biggest fan and that I'm a die-hard PokeShipper (Ash x Misty), people think I'm a close-minded, nostalgic basher. Well, I like these things for other reasons than nostalgia, I'm not close-minded, and when I see people liking Gen III, IV or V-related things, that opinion is always generally accepted. People who like anything Gen I and II-related constantly have to defend themselves against a big majority who looks down upon Gen I and II fans...

I totally agree. I like all generations, but I like the first two generations most. A comparable problem I once encountered on the anime forum: because I don't like the DP and BW sagas, I've been called "fake fan". I've given DP and BW a fair chance, OS is my favourite saga and that has nothing to do with nostalgia, and because of that opinion, I am seen as some close-minded nostalgia addict who doesn't give newer series a chance and who isn't a true fan... I think I can consider myself a true fan: I like the OS and AG sagas of the anime, I like games from all generations and I like several Pokemon from all generations. And I gave all generations a fair chance, instead of judging without watching. And I'm going to give Gen 6 a fair chance too before judging.

Quote Originally Posted by Manna View Post
    Wow, this poll is terrible.

I really hate the term "true fan" and I do not agree with the the yes option at all.

Anyway, everyone has their own opinion. Some people like to be super aggressive with it, but you can just tune them out if they bother you that much.
    I agree. People can be true fans without liking every generation. And people should just learn to accept opinions of others.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu725 View Post
    I feel that they really don't understand how to take off their nostalgia shades. They also don't understand the concepts of being true fans.
    Um... Maybe they gave newer series a fair chance and still prefer Gen 1? Maybe they like Gen 1 for other reasons than nostalgia?

Quote Originally Posted by AquaMilotic View Post
    Indeed... When I say I like the first two generations of Pokemon, the older anime seasons, that I'm Misty's biggest fan and that I'm a die-hard PokeShipper (Ash x Misty), people think I'm a close-minded, nostalgic basher. Well, I like these things for other reasons than nostalgia, I'm not close-minded, and when I see people liking Gen III, IV or V-related things, that opinion is always generally accepted. People who like anything Gen I and II-related constantly have to defend themselves against a big majority who looks down upon Gen I and II fans...

I totally agree. I like all generations, but I like the first two generations most. A comparable problem I once encountered on the anime forum: because I don't like the DP and BW sagas, I've been called "fake fan". I've given DP and BW a fair chance, OS is my favourite saga and that has nothing to do with nostalgia, and because of that opinion, I am seen as some close-minded nostalgia addict who doesn't give newer series a chance and who isn't a true fan... I think I can consider myself a true fan: I like the OS and AG sagas of the anime, I like games from all generations and I like several Pokemon from all generations. And I gave all generations a fair chance, instead of judging without watching. And I'm going to give Gen 6 a fair chance too before judging.

I agree. People can be true fans without liking every generation. And people should just learn to accept opinions of others.

Um... Maybe they gave newer series a fair chance and still prefer Gen 1? Maybe they like Gen 1 for other reasons than nostalgia?

You speak so much truth. Just because someone likes the first two generations of Pokemon, the older anime seasons, is Misty's biggest fan and a die-hard PokeShipper... doesn't mean they are a genwunner and hate all the new gens. Heck, I almost shed tears of joy when I saw the sixth gen games. I just prefer the original gens for how they handled it, the chemistry the team had, it was the best. I know some people will think that I am only saying this out of nostalgia, but those new kids didn't see every gen like we did, there is a reason why we think this way, and it is not nostalgia. There is a saying in my country ''Where there isn't any fire, there isn't any smoke''.
    Last edited by Hilda; 10th January 2013 at 8:06 PM.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

I like the 1st Generation and I still have a strong nostalgia for them. I like the Game Boy quality graphics, the MIDI tunes, and even the glitches which are fun to mess with. The old Pokemon anime is still one of the best seasons. Some of the best music comes from the original two generations. Nostalgia is a powerful thing, it takes you back to relive the glories of the past and the innocence of your childhood.

However, I do not hate the new Pokemon. I love the new functions DS games introduced and I like the new Pokemon. Many of my favorites such as Zekrom are new Pokemon. The new games also have awesome soundtracks like Route 225 or Unova's route themes (especially 3 and 10). I even like the Vanillish and Trubbish families, I think the ice cream cones and trash bags are a cool and innovative concept.
    Last edited by The Thunderbird; 10th January 2013 at 8:28 PM.
    3DS Friend Code
    4854-6478-8554
    Friend Safari
    Fire with Magmar, Slugma, and Braixen. Please PM if you want to add me.

Shinies Obtained
    Crobat, Golem, Magnezone, Butterfree, Spheal, Luvdisc, Charizard, Xatu

Shinies obtained from GTS/Trades
    Parasect, Glameow, Chansey, Deoxys, Lugia, Machamp, Linoone, Spiritomb

Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post

I knew there was a reason you were called wise my friend.

I see threads like this and immediately the question I ask myself is Why?
    Maybe it is because I'm not a teenager anymore and I look at things differently.
    But I ask myself, Why does a thread like this exist?

You don't like them? Who cares. I'm sure they don't like being called annoying.
    It's just such a hypocritical stance to take.

Every one has their Generation. Every one has their favorites. Every one has their dislikes.
    But you want to judge people for their opinion, it's just ridiculous.

You don't like Genwunners or whatever?
    I don't like people who make stupid threads like this.
    Last edited by Thomas Elliot; 10th January 2013 at 9:03 PM.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

If you think they're annoying little idiots, then keep it to yourself. Don't rant about it by making threads and trying to get other people to join the bandwagon.

I don't care if you think they're all stupid nostalgiaf*gs who should'nt consider themselves to be a true fan. That'ts fine by me. But just don't make yourself look like an idiot too.

You speak so much truth. Just because someone likes the first two generations of Pokemon, the older anime seasons, is Misty's biggest fan and a die-hard PokeShipper... doesn't mean they are a genwunner and hate all the new gens. Heck, I almost shed tears of joy when I saw the sixth gen games. I just prefer the original gens for how they handled it, the chemistry the team had, it was the best. I know some people will think that I am only saying this out of nostalgia, but those new kids didn't see every gen like we did, there is a reason why we think this way, and it is not nostalgia. There is a saying in my country ''Where there isn't any fire, there isn't any smoke''.
    Amen to that. It really seems to be a matter of misunderstanding and lack of consideration. What started as a simple feud between fans slowly devolved into an anti-nostalgic attack as more and more generations passed. Its sad how people get over-defensive toward vocal minorities. What some people may not realize is that retaining some nostalgic aspects keeps new generations in check from being too different or overly ambitious to the point where the franchise might be legitimately damaged; a risk that always exists in a market where a company has gained large influence and free reign. In any case, it hurts to be disregarded as a common stereotype in any aspect of life. I have no business telling anyone why their preferences are "wrong", because I can't change what they like or dislike. In my experience, the hurt on the fandom from attacks on new Pokemon dwarfs in comparison to the tenfold hurt of the retaliation on old Pokemon and their fans.
    Last edited by Bluelatios*; 10th January 2013 at 9:23 PM.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu725 View Post
    Its these posts that make me slap my forehead.

1: I like my nostalgia shades. The amount of a rush I get playing the first game is far greater than I go when playing gen 5. Why SHOULD we take out nostalgia shades off. If you prefer something play that instead, and have you honestly seen many people around here that have boycotted Pokemon games or think only gen 1 is superior with out having their personal opinion to back it up. I wear my nostalgia shades all the time -see signature- but that doesn't stop me from also enjoying the newer generations for what they give us, I may have been bored with the new game, but I can see the fun people have in them and it is by no way a bad game. I'm not going to outright call gen 5 terrible when its not, but this is a public form and everyone is allowed to have their feelings. If someone asks me what I like better i'm going to openly say what I feel. I respect your opinion and you respect mine, and if you don't like it then turn away. Don't be dissing people just because they like the oldies. And like I said before. Its not like we haven't tried the new games. Most of us, myself included have. Hell black 2 is sitting on the desk next to me. We just find that gen 1 and 2 are better because we like them, its personal prefrence. Just like how I find the original anime to be better than best wishes. -slaps shades back on and dances-

2: So are you saying just because I prefer generation 1 i'm not a "true fan". There is no such thing as true fans. Why split fans up into categories. That's total bias. I'm just as big of a Pokemon fan as you are, I just prefer an older generation. Why does that make me not as big of a fan as you. Frankly it gets me pissed off when people say i'm not a "true fan" when I've been with the series longer than a lot of the people that tell that to me. Were all fans of the same franchise, we all like Pokemon. Why can't we all just understand that, generation bias aside. [I feel like a pokemon hippie now XD]

Hardcore nostalgia critics are few and far between. But when someone is one everyone goes on a rampage over one persons own personal opinion. In the end you like what you like and don't care what other people think. Its video games. We shouldn't have to take our nostalgia shades off if we are putting ourselves in the past [mainly pointing at myself here]

I should probably moon walk out of here before I get infracted for starting a flame war and believe me that's not what I want this topic to turn into, though it's set up for it. Its just that people need to understand where some of us are coming from. Were just as big of fans as everyone else. Sorry if I came off to be a total dink but that's how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios* View Post
    Amen to that. It really seems to be a matter of misunderstanding and lack of consideration. What started as a simple feud between fans slowly devolved into an anti-nostalgic attack as more and more generations passed. Its sad how people get over-defensive toward vocal minorities. What some people may not realize is that retaining some nostalgic aspects keeps new generations in check from being too different or overly ambitious to the point where the franchise might be legitimately damaged; a risk that always exists in a market where a company has gained large influence and free reign. In any case, it hurts to be disregarded as a common stereotype in any aspect of life. I have no business telling anyone why their preferences are "wrong", because I can't change what they like or dislike. In my experience, the hurt on the fandom from attacks on new Pokemon dwarfs in comparison to the tenfold hurt of the retaliation on old Pokemon and their fans.
    Now if only Sonic Team could get that balance between to much and to little nostalgia...

And ohh gosh that's why I like black 2 to an extent. When I got to the champion cup and got to face Green/Blue and the first few cords of his song kicked in I screamed in pure nostalgic goodness and bounced up and down in my seat. I was like "Hes still a champion!!! YAY!!!"

But amen to your post to!
    Last edited by Dragoniss; 10th January 2013 at 9:38 PM.

NNID: Antagonistgreen | 3DS FC: 4727-5570-4170

Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch | Deviant Art | Miiverse
    Palletshipping | Cafemochashipping | Namelessshipping

Hi, I'm the nostalgia critic, I remember it, so you don't have to.

I've met reasonable people who like the first gen only, but they are otherwise cool people.

The "ran out of ideas" bandwagon is old and tired, and it itself has ran out of ideas.

Opinions are what opinions are.

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post
    Hi, I'm the nostalgia critic, I remember it, so you don't have to.

I've met reasonable people who like the first gen only, but they are otherwise cool people.

The "ran out of ideas" bandwagon is old and tired, and it itself has ran out of ideas.

Opinions are what opinions are.
    yeah, and i think people are also partial to the gen that you are introduced in.
    like me, i really love gen 3 cuz it was my first game but i had been watching the anime since the beggining, so i think thats why those 2 gens are my faves.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by The Thunderbird View Post
    I even like the Vanillish and Trubbish families, I think the ice cream cones and trash bags are a cool and innovative concept.
    I like them too. I'm not crazy for Garbodor, but I actually find Trubbish kind of cute.

I will always have nostalgia for Gen I games (Pokemon Yellow remains the only game that I played without any kind of help). Because I started playing so late in the series, I ended up skipping 2nd and 3rd gen, and started playing Pearl. That's when my addiction really started. I ended up going backwards for a bit (got Silver and Sapphire, then Emerald)

Every generation brings something new and better to the franchise, and I will keep enjoying them.

Pokemon fans that have been following the franchise from the beginning will usually give new games a chance, people who started with gen IV or V tend to have complaints about the original games. In the end, it truly is a matter of personal opinion.
    3DS Friend Code: 3351-4057-4675 (Vicki)
    2DS Friend Code: 0361-7983-6340 (Breanna)
    Nintendo Network ID Wii U: IrisMist

Friend Safari X (3DS): Vicki ~ Rock with Onix, Boldore & Shuckle
    Friend Safari Y (2DS): Breanna ~ Ice with Delibird, Bergmite & Lapras

Currently playing: Mario Kart 8

I do find it kind of admirable that a franchise that is criticized to hell and back for being "the same everytime" has such a divided fanbase (but divided, I think, in a good way.). I could not tell someone with a straight face which was the consensus as to the best generation because of how many fans there are of each generation. And not even just "fans" either. There just seem to be so many passionate fans of each generation that it's kind of mindblowing.

Genwunners seem to be more influenced by the anime changes than the games, in spite of, some of they don't like the game either. Their opinion must be respected, but it won't be accepted by most of the players of Pokemon games. A loyal fan likes Pokemon in general, and not just one or two generations. A fan that cannot get along with new generations probably can't get along with anything else. It seems some like of trouble to break the routine or adapting to the new stuff. Genwunners are a bunch of closed mind, that's why most of their opinion are not valid, but we ought to respect it anyway.

As long as you have a reason for not liking later generations, I don't see a problem. The only time it really bugs me is when they claim that "the new Pokemon ruined my childhood," just simply because I highly doubt that. It's also a little annoying if they haven't even tried the games but then again, it isn't my place to force anyone to buy a game that they might not like since it's not my money.
    As long as you can back up your opinion, you can like whatever you want. There are a bunch of different opinions and I myself have been known to have many, many unpopular opinions about this franchise. It isn't right to hate you because I think differently.
    This entire thread contains a contradiction in a sense because gen 5, the games that you are speaking so highly of discouraged this kind of behavior. Pokemon preaches tolerance of ideas and differences, which is the exact opposite of what you're doing.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast