Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So Virgil was pretty much pointless?

Default So Virgil was pretty much pointless?

He didn't add any thing to the league!!! What did you think of this guy? He wasn't even able to battle Ash, what was the point in adding him?
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Well someone has to win the league! XD

On reflection, Virgil is basically a CotD who happened to win the league, as opposed to the League-only rival that we have become accustomed to in the most recent sagas (Tyson, Morrison, Tobias). Again, also something different that Ash wasn't beaten by the eventual league winner as was the case in Hoenn and Sinnoh. A notion that Ash's team was inferior to his past ones? Perhaps, we can't be sure. But his Unova team still has about 35-40 episodes to make their mark.

You cannot call him pointless, he was the man to win the league, it just so happened that his main appearance was as a CotD.
    Last edited by pokeaussie37; 10th January 2013 at 1:10 PM.
    {Insert signature here}

we can't say that until were certain Virgil won't appear again.

He may have a big role in the N arc

Quote Originally Posted by pokeaussie37 View Post

On reflection, Virgil is basically a CotD who happened to win the league, as opposed to the League-only rival that we have become accustomed to in the most recent sagas (Tyson, Morrison, Tobias). Again, also something different that Ash wasn't beaten by the eventual league winner as was the case in Hoenn and Sinnoh. A notion that Ash's team was inferior to his past ones? Perhaps, we can't be sure. But his Unova team still has about 35-40 episodes to make their mark.
    They could have done it better than, they didn't have to introduce him as the last second and have him battle some other random rival that we won't ever see again. Why do we need to see him fight some kid with an IQ of a rock?
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Quote Originally Posted by AceDetective View Post

I second that, like I said there's still a while before the Unova saga concludes.

Furthermore, in my opinion his team was, whilst being very good, was inferior to Tyson and Tobias (Tobias for obvious reasons), so I would not hesitate to call him an inferior league winner. I would expect the winner of the Pokemon league to have a stronger team, in all honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    They could have done it better than, they didn't have to introduce him as the last second and have him battle some other random rival that we won't ever see again. Why do we need to see him fight some kid with an IQ of a rock?
    Note: I do not think they did it well either, but that's the way it is.
    {Insert signature here}

He was always only there to promote Eevee and its evolutions. The league victory was just a little bonus for him..
    OR Playthrough - Route 118

This won't change often.. I play through the games slowly..

Sometimes the best answer is also the most obvious.

It doesn't look like they're done promoting Eevee, either, so we might very well see Virgil again.

Apparently then wanted us to meet the league winner, I don't think it was necesarily pointless.

First off!

Not as pointless as Cameron's Watchog! xD

Quote Originally Posted by pokeaussie37 View Post

You cannot call him pointless, he was the man to win the league, it just so happened that his main appearance was as a CotD.
    To me, there was no difference between either Katharine, Dino, Antonio, Ramone and Virgil. Yes, Virgil got his own episode, but so did Katharine, while the others got several episodes.

The only reason why he was focused on a bit more was so they can promote Eeveelutions. It's not even about Virgil.. Hence, Virgil was a pointless marketing tool in order to give Eeveelutions broadcast time.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post
    He was always only there to promote Eevee and its evolutions. The league victory was just a little bonus for him..
    Fully comply.

Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    Sometimes the best answer is also the most obvious.

It doesn't look like they're done promoting Eevee, either, so we might very well see Virgil again.
    Nope, because we also met Katharine, Dino and Antonio.. It's because of the Eevee's, that's all it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    Apparently then wanted us to meet the league winner, I don't think it was necesarily pointless.
    We also 'met' Katharine before, not to mention that Dino and Antonio already had four episodes worth of screentime. Not sure if Ramone stuck around after his loss in the Junior Cup..

The only difference was that they wanted to plug their Eevee's..
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    He didn't add any thing to the league!!! What did you think of this guy? He wasn't even able to battle Ash, what was the point in adding him?
    To have a winner.

It's not like the writers ever stated he'd be super important, they just deiced to give the future winner of the league an episode of his own. He doesn't have to battle Ash, Ash can't battle everyone.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

sooo in the virgil/cameron match, wut was camerons 6th poke (i cant tell cause the pic is too small) and virgils 6th was a '?" soo do u tihnk it was a new eeveelution or maybe jsut trolling by the writers/animators?
    http://serebii.net/anime/pictures/be.../769/DP235.jpg

I expected Virgil as the Champion but I didn't want him to be for three main reasons:

1. He was supposed to be there only to promote eeveelutions, but Jolteon, Glaceon and leafeon were completely shafted in the League, and follow the pattern of the bland character winning the league (special mantion for Takuto, he was bland but at least he had legendaries).

2. He won the Unova League without using native Unova pokemon from the original Unova dex.

3. The most recent reason was that he completely outclassed Kotetsu defeating him 3-0, the one that eliminated Ash from the league. That makes the main character get even a worse impression in this League.

Personally, I'd prefered Kotetsu to defeat Virgil and Dino to win the league but since the major hate the former received during the league that wouldn't have happened without occasioning a massive rage.

3/10 league for me. Even Kanto showed better battles without top-notch animation.
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

[CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by jetlag45 View Post
    sooo in the virgil/cameron match, wut was camerons 6th poke (i cant tell cause the pic is too small) and virgils 6th was a '?" soo do u tihnk it was a new eeveelution or maybe jsut trolling by the writers/animators?
    http://serebii.net/anime/pictures/be.../769/DP235.jpg
    all that means is he only needed 5 pokemon to defeat Kotetsu.

all that means is he only needed 5 pokemon to defeat Kotetsu.
    Ddidnt use eevee an still had two up. he won 6-3, pretty crazy, he probably was smart and countered the two stronger ones and the others Kotetsu probably helped him win by making stupid decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by ludiloco View Post
    I expected Virgil as the Champion but I didn't want him to be for three main reasons:

2. He won the Unova League without using native Unova pokemon from the original Unova dex.
    i never thought about this one....now that i have, i would like to claim the Unova league BULLSTUFF for the pure fact that unova was the first region were it was specifically mentioned that no older pokes were there so the league shoulda been unova only pokes....now i understand the writers tried to explain the older pokes came to unova, but that was a few months (at most, i tihnk they said 3months or sumtihn like that) before the league sooo theres no way all these unova trainers could get used too battling alll these new (well new to them) pokes. thats just my thoughts tho n i would like to think that alot of u agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    Ddidnt use eevee an still had two up. he won 6-3, pretty crazy, he probably was smart and countered the two stronger ones and the others Kotetsu probably helped him win by making stupid decisions.
    soo then wut was cameron/kotetsu 6th poke then, like i said i cant see the silhouettes cause they r too small
    Last edited by jetlag45; 10th January 2013 at 2:54 PM.

What is better John Dickson or Virgil? They both won the league yet Ash never got a chance to battle them. I think Virgil was better cause at least this time we knew the person who won the league. Investing an episode in such a character is better than having a stranger win the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbilical Noose View Post
    What is better John Dickson or Virgil? They both won the league yet Ash never got a chance to battle them. I think Virgil was better cause at least this time we knew the person who won the league. Investing an episode in such a character is better than having a stranger win the league.
    Exactly that was the point of his characters, specially since he doesn't even appear in the anime and the producers only mentioned one new rival in the BW2 Arc, ultimatelly Virgil was rival because they were disputing the same thing but it was clearly diferent then others, besides people that doubted it he alwayus had that vibe that he was going to win it.

Someone had to beat Cameron, they needed someone in the league other than Ash to take down the dimwit.

3DS FC: 1950-8136-0088

He could still re-appear, also lets not forget that all we've got to see of some of the league winners is a brief shot of there picture on the leaderboard. In my books it's good to get to know the guy who's going to win.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post

"Japanese Staff: Hey, Virgil! Thank you so much for helping promote the Eevee line up! As huge thanks for our increased sales in merchandise, we would like to award you the title of Unova Champion! Congrats! Good luck at the Elite 4! "

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

Quote Originally Posted by the1stpkmnfan View Post
    "Japanese Staff: Hey, Virgil! Thank you so much for helping promote the Eevee line up! As huge thanks for our increased sales in merchandise, we would like to award you the title of Unova Champion! Congrats! Good luck at the Elite 4! "
    They did say in one of the posters or announcements that "Eevee and his friends have an important role in Unova League" or something along the lines of that, IIRC.
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciatted starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig . Started by Dax-360
    Quote Originally Posted by Teshub View Post
    I also read from the bulbagarden thread about the movie that Zorua impersonates Dawn and tries to show Dawn's butt to Ash. Fanservice, foreshadowing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    This show is called Pokemon, not Pochaman.. although that sounds almost the same..
    Youtube, DeviantArt, Bulbagarden, Imageshack, Photobucket, Smogon, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, Tumblr. PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

If you ask me, Cameron has a bigger chance of showing up in Episode N than Virgil. But he could sill show up. There has to be more reoccurring characters in Episode N since it looks like some of the rivals won't be showing up anymore like Trip.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    If you ask me, Cameron has a bigger chance of showing up in Episode N than Virgil. But he could sill show up. There has to be more reoccurring characters in Episode N since it looks like some of the rivals won't be showing up anymore like Trip.
    I hope these two derps don't even DARE appear ever again. Owning a league in raw force, no brains and overrated pokemons. Seriously they should go rot in hell. This league sucked, an overrated opinion.
    "My underrated tastes are no fun at all. However that's how I am. Peace."

Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    That only depends if Cameron is from Aspertia City.

They could have just made Virgil a recurring character instead of a league character if he was going to only be for advertisement purposes. I however don't get why Kotetsu was so important anyway.

My ideal battle ever!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast