Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Pokedex Entries Getting Too Sick?

Default Are Pokedex Entries Getting Too Sick?

I know I'm going to come across as some bad spoil sport or thinking about the entries to much, however I'm I the only one who feels that the Pokedex entries are getting to disturbing for there own good?

I honestly don't know why they make the entries the way they do because they just seem to be very mean spirited like Phantump who are dead children (seriously wtf) or just depressing like Yamask. Is this really what should be in a game mainly marketed at children? Is it for those on 4Chan who get a kick out of it (who really shouldn't be rewarded considering what they've been doing recently on Gawker Media and to Zelda Williams)?

My problem other then it being mean spirited and not exactly the best things we should be including in a game made mostly for children is that it can eventually be used as fuel for one of the many groups who attack the franchise and really there is no way Game-freak can defend themselves if that happens.

Secondly, eventually there going to make an entry, either intentionally or unintentionally that is going to go to far like have a Pokemon about rape or necrophilia (which given Cubone isn't much of a stretch) which again is going to give the franchise a lot of negative press which they would not have an excuse for.

Lastly, they just seem off to what I feel Pokemon should be about. I've always seen Pokemon as a charming adventure of fun and excitement and these theme of child murder seem so wrong and out of place.

Again I know I'm thinking to much into this but I do feel the entries are going to far.

Mind may I just ask one question: Which personnel in Game Freak wrote those dex entries?

If there is any fault causes by those dex entries, it will be the fault of that one single person (or multiple persons if written by more than one people). That guy should be blamed and fired.

BTW, within the game system itself, dex entries are actually a complete purposeless piece of texts that can be completely remove from the game without making any problem to the gameplay.

So what is the purpose for GF writing those dex entries, other than just to provide a piece of defies-the-real-world-law-of-physics useless information about the Pokemon, and most of them are contradicting what we can see from our gameplay experience?
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこに始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち

Why would you fire the employee who wrote the dex entry on question? Wasn't he just doing his job? It's not as if he hid a photo of his rearend in the game, he wrote a dex entry which he was undoubtedly tasked with writing and which was very likely approved by a supervisor. It's also likely that they give each individual writing the entries a theme or motif to go on "make sure you include that this Pokémon does x or behaves like y" it's certainly no fault to the individual employee.

As to the title of this thread, Pokédex entries as a whole are not getting "sicker". What is happening, however, is that there are still dex entries that some find to be too graphic for a game that is proported to be largely marketed to children(though it's obvious that GF and Nintendo know how large the more mature fanbase is in addition to its ever-growing ranks of youngsters), entries like Hypno, Cubone, Nidoking, Kabutops, and Gengar have always existed in the series and they're simply continuing on to the present. Could this become an issue? Possibly. But until it does, personally, I'll continue to laugh or cringe at ridiculous dex entries at my own liesure.
    Last edited by SILVER XD; 16th August 2014 at 4:06 PM.
    Beware, I live.

Something to remember is that most of these dex entries in question, for example Phantump, are based off of folktales or stories from around the world. I may be wrong in this specific example, but I believe that Phantumps description is based off of a scary story from Japan that essentially says that children who wander into the woods become ghosts. Not all dex entries are like this but they have meanings behind them.

//

Pokegym Credit: Azulart (gym badge),FairyWitch (Userbar)
    Trinity Credit: AstralShadow (personal banner and trade shop button) & Kida-Ookami (badge) & Sworn Metalhead (symbol)

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Mind may I just ask one question: Which personnel in Game Freak wrote those dex entries?

If there is any fault causes by those dex entries, it will be the fault of that one single person (or multiple persons if written by more than one people). That guy should be blamed and fired.

BTW, within the game system itself, dex entries are actually a complete purposeless piece of texts that can be completely remove from the game without making any problem to the gameplay.

So what is the purpose for GF writing those dex entries, other than just to provide a piece of defies-the-real-world-law-of-physics useless information about the Pokemon, and most of them are contradicting what we can see from our gameplay experience?
    Pokémon has never been a 100% happy-go-lucky series.

Hell, in Red & Blue it is implied that you killed Blue's Raticate. You think that's charming?

I would honestly rather if Pokémon became a more mature game, especially considering its potential to be gravely dark. As for thr Pokédex entries, they're Ghost-types, dude. They're all evil and depressing.
    LILYCOVE CITY GYM
    Please leave feedback on my gym via PM, if you'd like. I want to make sure people are truly enjoying it.

Pokemon has always been disturbing as ****, from hypno, to duskull, to drifloon, to phantump.

Gamefreak is also distubuted by nintendo, which would never allow any entries with rape/necrophilia.

None of the pokemon-entries have ever been confirmed.

So would you guys prefer if dex entries were all similar to the style of Kyurem's White dex entry? As that'd be rather boring. The dex entries are made to reflect the personalities of the Pokémon being described.
    Current Hunts

2,470 SRs/4,940 birds seen - PAUSED

ΩR BQ Hunt #5 - Desert

7,400 REs

"Disturbing" dex entries have always existed and is nothing new. Sure some of them are a bit depressing, like Cubone's, Phantump's and Yamask's, and some show ill intentions like how Hypno hypnotizing children and kidnapping them. While you might not like the dex entries, be aware that this is not something new, however I personally don't have any problems with any of them and I don't think any children will suffer from reading them either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post

Larger companies like GF usually checks stuff up. The dex entries is most likely verified by a lot of people before they are put in the game. While the entry is probably produced by a single person it is not that person alone that decides if it should make it to the game. If someone absolutely had to be fired it should be a higher up for allowing the entry into the game, not the guy that just does his job.

While it is true that dex entries contribute nothing to the gameplay I am heavily against removing them. Like height, weight and even artwork it helps fleshing out each pokémon and make them more interesting. Something that many fans appreciate.
    Last edited by Endless; 16th August 2014 at 6:01 PM.

I guess they are pretty evil my friend stopped playing for a month because of it, but I dont think its that bad

They're not bad at all; in fact I'd rather that than flowers and rainbows and everything pretty and fine in the world of Pokemon.

North American Nintendo are very strict when translating and modifying games, so if something like this doesn't concern them then it's of no concern.

biatch im fabulous

If you think the entries are getting more creepy, let me just tell you that the entries have been pretty messed up since the start.

Kabutops's PokéDex entry flat out says that it sucks blood. That's not exactly how it's worded, but that's exactly what the entries mean.
    I'm a huge Pokémon fan and also love movies.

I'm also a video maker on YouTube. If you wanna see my YouTube channel click here.

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Smeargle View Post
    I guess they are pretty evil my friend stopped playing for a month because of it, but I dont think its that bad
    How old was he at the time? 'Cause that's actually a little excessive. I don't think I've actually been scared by any dex entries, just "well that's creepy" and there's the end of it.
    I really should get a real sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze The Movie Fan View Post
    If you think the entries are getting more creepy, let me just tell you that the entries have been pretty messed up since the start.

Kabutops's PokéDex entry flat out says that it sucks blood. That's not exactly how it's worded, but that's exactly what the entries mean.
    I always though of Kabutops as being worse. I thought it liquified the internals of its prey and sucked it out, leaving the skin and bones behind... Now I want a juice box.

I agree with phanpycross, topics like those shouldn't be touched on in Pokémon(the first not at all and the second at least not directly). That's a bit much.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfFacade View Post
    I would honestly rather if Pokémon became a more mature game, especially considering its potential to be gravely dark. As for thr Pokédex entries, they're Ghost-types, dude. They're all evil and depressing.
    Whoa now, Ghost =\= Evil(neither is Dark for that matter). Trevenant, Pumpkaboo, Cofagrigius, Mismagius, Drifblim, Froslass, Dusknoir, and Golurk are at least neutral. Others like Chandelure are doing what they need to do, as in feed. Heck, the Ghost legendary is dedicated to the balance between two worlds. I can only count 5 Ghost types that could be considered to be outright Evil(subjective as that may be), and 2 of those are sketchy.
    Last edited by SILVER XD; 16th August 2014 at 9:12 PM.
    Beware, I live.

Quote Originally Posted by SILVER XD View Post
    I always though of Kabutops as being worse. I thought it liquified the internals of its prey and sucked it out, leaving the skin and bones behind... Now I want a juice box.

I agree with phanpycross, topics like those shouldn't be touched on in Pokémon(the first not at all and the second at least not directly). That's a bit much.

Whoa now, Ghost =\= Evil(neither is Dark for that matter). Trevenant, Pumpkaboo, Cofagrigius, Mismagius, Drifblim, Froslass, Dusknoir, and Golurk are at least neutral. Others like Chandelure are doing what they need to do, as in feed. Heck, the Ghost legendary is dedicated to the balance between two worlds. I can only count 5 Ghost types that could be considered to be outright Evil(subjective as that may be), and 2 of those are sketchy.
    Please allow me to correct myself; saying 'all' was a bit much.

However, Ghost type pokemon aren't exactly peachy, which is one of the reasons I love them. They possess a hint of realism that poses Pokémon to be something more than just a blissful RPG. They represent a fabric beyond what we see in the games: death and the afterlife.

I strongly feel this is something Game Freak should invest in. For example, the Underworld should be an existing place in the games.
    LILYCOVE CITY GYM
    Please leave feedback on my gym via PM, if you'd like. I want to make sure people are truly enjoying it.

However, Ghost type pokemon aren't exactly peachy, which is one of the reasons I love them. They possess a hint of realism that poses Pokémon to be something more than just a blissful RPG. They represent a fabric beyond what we see in the games: death and the afterlife.

I strongly feel this is something Game Freak should invest in. For example, the Underworld should be an existing place in the games.
    While it is true that a lot of Ghost pokémon dex entries refer to death, ghosts and a Spirit World I really doubt we would ever visit such an "after-life" world in the games. Not because I don't think kids can handle ghosts but because a description of the afterlife would cause the game to take a slightly religious approach. Something that they seems to be quite careful about.
    Last edited by Endless; 16th August 2014 at 10:25 PM.

^If it ever comes to that, I will most likely be put off of the franchise entirely. The last thing I need is another thing that intends to throw the fear of evils and underworlds at me...

As for the entries...granted, there are some that make you think a good bit. But i'd like to think that they are strictly for ascetic(?) purposes. When you look at one, you can't help but say "Whoa..."
    Last edited by Trot Away; 16th August 2014 at 10:27 PM.
    Darkness is just a friend you can't see!
    3DS FC: 4227 - 0729 - 3560

My ASB Profile

I agree, all Ghost types deal with themes that aren't warm and cuddly, even those that seem benevolent.

I do think that some of the pre-existing more "mature" themes in the series should be explored a bit more(but they won't be capitalized I as a theme for the series, GF and Nintendo know where the money is, and that's by keeping the series largely child-friendly).
    Beware, I live.

Honestly, I like the dex entires, even for the Ghost Types. But I mean, do the younger kids that play even pay attention to the Pokedex entries? I know I didn't until I was older and it never really made much difference to me. That was just me though.

I love Ghost Types they are my favorite, but the main reason why I like them is because I've seen them in the anime. Like that Ghastly, Haunter, and Gengar from a loong time ago. I loved them, they were kind of goofy. Then even when Ash battled the Ghost gym leader from Sinnoh, they were portrayed as kinda strong. Going back to the younger kids who like Pokemon, they see what is shown in the anime just as much as the games.
    H E L L O

I breed starter Pokemon constantly, so I always have a ton of them for trade! I have all released HA starter Pokemon as well, and IVs can be added. PM me if you need one!

FC: 4098-3996-8590
    IGN: G
    FS: Poison-Ariados, Gloom, Muk

HAs : and more.
    I'll breed any on request and can get some IVs on them as well.

No, they aren't sick. And I doubt the entries would scar children in any way, rather thinking of how "awesome" they truly are.

Life is like unto a long journey with a heavy burden.
    (Tokugawa Ieyasu)

MBTI personality type: ISFP

You have distinct preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)
    You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)
    You have distinct preference of Feeling over Thinking (62%)
    You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (22%)

What is and isn't "appropriate for children" is a very subjective matter.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvijo View Post
    No, they aren't sick. And I doubt the entries would scar children in any way, rather thinking of how "awesome" they truly are.
    Silyijo, that is so true. I mean, so what? Ooh, dead children! Kids should know that they will die someday.

The forces have met.
    Now only they decide the fate that awaits us.

~I have claimed thee Suicune~
    Visit my site at http://jirachi9.weebly.com/
    Also, I'm looking for a shiny Jirachi, so please PM me to make a deal!

Well they aren't sick they are based on myths or beliefs such as yamask who is based on some belief i think in Egypt.

Spoiler:- Credit/Symbol/Badge:

Quote Originally Posted by Gretnablue View Post
    My problem other then it being mean spirited and not exactly the best things we should be including in a game made mostly for children is that it can eventually be used as fuel for one of the many groups who attack the franchise and really there is no way Game-freak can defend themselves if that happens.
    I don't think it would take one bad pokédex entry to topple the franchise. Controversies have happened regarding Pokémon before, and it hasn't destroyed it. There were some objections to jynx's blackface-y look, which had little effect beyond jynx being made look a bit different and keeping what couldn't be edited from being broadcast where people would have a problem with it. Uri Geller also objected to Pokémon's basing kadabra off of him and that didn't affect the franchise at all. If a dex entry truly crosses the line, it'll probably just be replaced and life will go on for Pokémon. Very unlikely to truly leave a mark.

And I'm not really getting what's so awful about some of these. Kabutops's entry just describes how it hunts. I'm pretty sure most 10-year-olds are at least somewhat aware that animals have predatory habits. I can kind of understand the bleak ones a bit more like some of the ghosts, but honestly I've always thought it makes sense for the ghosts' mythology to be a little spooky. Kids tell each other ghost stories without always inflicting trauma on each other.

Really, when I spend time with kids, I recall them talking about violence and death without any sort of prompt. I think references to death in print form aren't too damaging (graphic visual violence might have worse effects, but it's doubtful that a child will get traumatized from their own imagination). In a way, I think a lot of the things that people find too much for children actually bothers adults more than it does children.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

Honestly, the dex is crap. Ponyta jumping over Prisim Tower? Never take anything the dex says seriously enough to mess up the game for you. Yeah, Litwick, Phantump, Hypno and the likes are pretty creepy, but it's supposed to be like that. It adds depth to the Pokémon. As crappy as it is, Pokémon would be so much worse without that little tidbit, however morbid or ludicrous. And Litwick and Phantump are too damn cute to be taken seriously.
    Dark Friend Safari with
    - -
    Friend Code: 0576 - 5970 - 2604

PM before you add me!

What I think is sick is the amount of people thinking they know what the series is about and if the creators approve of something that isn't to their liking they start claiming it as "disturbing".

GameFreak is the first place the 'dex entries must be approved followed by Nintendo. That means there is a whole team making sure the 'dex entries are acceptable for the series that they have created/funded.
    Friend Code: 4597-0393-3118
    Pokémon in My Safari:
    PM me first before adding!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast