View Poll Results: Best Generation of Starters?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gen 1 (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle)

31 28.97%
  • Gen 2 (Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile)

13 12.15%
  • Gen 3 (Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip)

31 28.97%
  • Gen 4 (Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup)

13 12.15%
  • Gen 5 (Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott)

3 2.80%
  • Gen 6 (Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie)

16 14.95%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Generation of Starters?

Sinnoh > Kanto > Gen VI (that may change depending of the evos) > Unova > Johto > Hoenn.

Sinnoh had the best starters. All of them have nice designs, origins, type combinations and are useful in some way.
    Hoenn had the worst. Blaziken is meh and Sceptile is just... ugly. The only salvation is Swampert, who looks pretty decent and has a good type combination.

Yay it's nice to see that my 2 fav gen are top with 27 each ( gen 1 and 3 ). Always had a hard time choosing starters in r/s and fr/lg ( also in r/b which I played after fr/lg )
    Last edited by carboncopy; 17th January 2013 at 9:28 AM.

Well, for me it has only gone downwards, so its simply I>II>III>IV>V.

Generation 1: It's easy to blame it on nostalgia, but all of these starters do have something I like. Blastoise is probably my least favorite, but it is still cool. Venusaur is not only my favorite gen 1 starter, but my favorite Pokémon by a landslide. They're all just simply designed and look like they can pack quite a punch.

Generation 2: Only one I'm not too fond of; Meganium, the other two are really cool. Feraligatr is my favorite here, which is unusual since I usually prefer Grass types, but a pumped alligator that looks like its on a bloodlust is irresistable for me. I also love Typhlosion, its fire on the back has always come out as an iconic design choice for me.

Generation 3: Blaziken and Swampert are good, not great, not bad, just good. Sceptile is the one that counts for me here, a FAST grass starter? Wow, that's pretty rad, now isn't it? Again, some original designs, but Blaziken has to come out as my least favorite here, just a tad too humanoid.

Generation 4: And then... something happened... I don't know what, but I don't really like any of these starters. Torterra has to be my favorite, but that's probably just because it is a knockoff of Venusaur. Empoleon looks like a robot, aka not a living being, it looks like it can't bend anywhere. Infernape is just odd for me, I don't really like monkey Pokémon unless they're twisted up like Mankey, so I guess a flaming monkey didn't help.

Generation 5: Somehow it got worse. A bearded seal, a Snake with an all too pointy nose, and Ganon. I chose Emboar just to name him Ganon, and in future playthrough I just put him in the box. I don't like any of these to be honest, and I don't want to go overboard and say anything bad since I don't want to piss off people who actually like these, so there you have it.

This is just how it ended up for me, its all because I prefer a certain type of Pokémon, and for the last two generations the starters have come off as some of the least exciting Pokémon in their generations. Its not that I don't like Gen 4 or 5, I just don't like the starters.

BTW, I'm solely talking design, no in-game affection. Won't judge VI as we haven't seen their evolutions.
    Last edited by Masterofknees; 17th January 2013 at 11:34 AM.

Just looking at their base forms, it goes like this

I>III>II>IV>V

I feel bad putting V last because I love Tepig, but although I like Oshawott and Snivy, I don't like them as much as I like Turtwig and Piplup. Even though I like Tepig far more than I like Chimchar. I love all the starters from the first 3 generations. I went with gen I as my favorite because I really like that Bulbasaur starts out as a dual type Pokémon, they're all adorable and Red and Blue were my first Pokémon games. I can't really say where to put Gen VI. If I absolutely had to place them, I'd put them between gen II and IV. This is purely based on design though.

Looking at final evolutions, I place them somewhat differently:

I>III>V>II>IV

Simply because, for me when they evolve, Snivy and Oshawott go way up on my awesome list. I really, really, really like Samurott, and I think Serperior is the best snake-like Pokémon in the series. Plus I love Emboar. I feel bad putting IV last because I love that they all have a secondary type. It's just that the only one of those final evolutions that I love is Torterra. I like Infernape and Empoleon, but not nearly as much as I like the final evolutions of all the other gen Pokémon.
    Last edited by ECM; 19th January 2013 at 1:48 AM. Reason: Typo
    Yellow Team

Current Pokémon Y Team Members
    Greninja, Venusaur, Blaziken, Raichu, Tyrantrum, Mr. Mime

Pokémon X Planned Team Members
    Chesnaught, Charizard, Vespiquen, Jynx, Jolteon, Lucario

To be honest, loved Gen IV, I loved Piplup so much and Turtwig. i overall loved that whole gen!

Gen. 3. It's the only generation where I actually like all the starters and their evolutions. And they struck the perfect balance. They weren't too simplistic, but they weren't so complex that you didn't know what they were, either.

And I know I'm in the minority, but I'm not really fond of the Gen.6 starters. They're probably my second least favorite set of starters behind the Johto starters.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123