Thread: Pikachu's attacks

Default Pikachu's attacks

it seem that as the anime goes on, Pikachu learns more and more moves and kombinations of moves for inhanced offence and defence.
    but in the latest ep. Pikacu seem as if he forgot alot! he uses only 4 attacks.
    can it be that the anime is like the game; a pokemon can know only 4 attacks?
    and to learn a new one it must forget one?
    so my question is: why doent pikachu uses all the attacks he learnt and the tactics of all the past seasons?

Could be wrong, but the anime seems to wear stuff out. They used Charizard a lot, and now they have he's just non-existent. They seem to do it with moves too. Thunder was used for a short amount of time constantly in the first few seasons. Not used as much now.

i try to think of a reason for that, and the only thing that comes up to my mind is that: they want to keep pikachu and ash's teem week, so he will lose from time to time, but they forget that there are some fans who know what pikachu can realy do!

I'm not sure when it began, maybe late Kanto or during the Johto episodes, but pokemon became limited to four attacks at a time like in the games. When Ash's Pikachu learned Electro Ball, he forgot Volt Tackle.

It's been outright stated in the series that Pikachu's currently known moves are Thunderbolt, Quick Attack, Iron Tail and Electro Ball, and it's been at the very least heavily alluded to that Pokemon can only know 4 moves at a time.

The heck, I thought Pokémon in the anime had unlimited moves, they just have preferred moves to others >_>;. Then again, I guess they changed the rules after Hoenn or something... Anyway, I figured that it's because they don't practice a certain move enough that the Pokémon "forgets" it until they practice it again. So I was pretty sure that's what happened to Pikachu and Ash's other Pokémon.

But the Pokémon anime is full of retcons, so I'm not too surprised by this.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Just like many mechanics, the anime takes a more "realistic" approach to moves. Typically, when a Pokemon learns a move that is a blatantly more powerful version of another move, it won't be using the weaker move often if ever. IE if a Fire type learns Flamethrower, you probably won't see it use Ember.

But Pokemon generally seem to be limited to 4 moves per battle. Paul's Electivire used Giga Impact in his battle against Barry, but then had Brick Break in its place during the battle with Ash.

But usually Ash's Pokemon don't do stuff like that. Volt Tackle was having problems in Unova, so that move is probably gonna be gone for a while unless the plot calls for it to be used again.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Yeah, at some point they did establish the four move limit to be canon in the Anime.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

I think most Pokémon only use 4 moves or less, but some Pokémon (like Ash's Kingler, who used 8 moves in 1 battle) use more at a time.
    Click on these Pokémon to make them happy and healthy!:

Spoiler:- Credits:

Pokémon Red Water-monotype challenge team:

Pokémon Emerald Water-monotype challenge team:
    Pokémon Fire Red Nuzlocke challenge team:

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBene View Post
    i try to think of a reason for that, and the only thing that comes up to my mind is that: they want to keep pikachu and ash's teem week, so he will lose from time to time, but they forget that there are some fans who know what pikachu can realy do!
    Yep, exactly. Biggest case being how pikachu lost to Trip's snivy in that first battle....come one, even with not being able to use it's electric type moves, it still should have CERTAINLY been able to destroy that snivy, with it's other moves and it's awesome speed. It was completely a plot device. And it had nothing to do with only four moves either, the anime NEVER follows that. But now there are a ton of instances you can point out where pikachu lost an easy battle it should NOT have lost, so it's old news....
    I'm sorta back
    While I'd always love to talk about anything pokemon, I will only be using the 6th gen Wifi section for a while out of efficiency in my life, unfortunately

PLEASE NOTE: My one and only 3DS friend code is now 0576 3520 6954, it used to be 0688 5572 5678 but I no longer have that DS, delete that old code if you already have it!
    thought X/Y were amazing, but the widely revolutionary ORAS makes X/Y look like, well, I guess the original Ruby/Sapphire (which were still awesome) ha ha. in early middle of story line, w/ no choice but to progress fairly slowly. if anyone wants to battle or register me (be sure to tell me iso I can get yours) feel free to!

AS: Grovyle, Metang, Swellow, Skitty, Corphish, and "Pikabest"

I think Brock confirmed the 4 rule once Infernape learned Flare Blitz.