Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X items, Do you use them?

Default X items, Do you use them?

Throughout the Pokemon series, there are specific Items that allow you to gain boost in certain stats during battle, but their effects are removed after the battle ends or the pokemon is switched out. the Petalburg city gym took advantage of these items, but most of us wiped the floor with them. Are they really helpful? My question for you, Do you use the items with X in their names (or dire hits?), or should they be removed from the game entirely?

when i find one, I quickly try to sell it because most stat changing moves are just as helpful and they waste 1 turn like X items.
    And you questioned my sanity. My Anime List

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    if Arceus is the Alpha Pokemon

wouldn't Mega Arceus be

the O-Mega Pokemon

I occasionally use them for the first gym, but normally don't bother using them after that.

They aren't entirely usless. I believe they boost happiness if you use them on a pokemon. Other than that though your right that stat boosting attacks are better. Unless your pokemon doesn't know any.

FC: 2406-6166-3485 IGN: Emerald

I consistently forget about the existence of those, to be honest. But I suppose they're a nice alternative if your Pokemon doesn't have a stat-boosting move. Maybe.

I always keep 3 of each X item, believe it or not, i use them alot, especially if one of my pokemon are getting slammed by a certain attack or if they need a little more punch when i lack means to boost their stats.

they helped when i was facing the gym leaders too
    Darkness is just a friend you can't see!
    3DS FC: 4227 - 0729 - 3560

My ASB Profile

I haven't actually used any of them but I hear they're very useful items in those tougher fights of the games.
    Pokemon Alpha Sahppire Team

Trainer Name: Erin
    3DS FC: 0748-3470-9720

I don't use them at all. They just feel like a waste of a turn.
    (template from Jerkfighter)

I tend to forget they are ther ,and when I remember, I tend to simply sell them. Stat boosting moves are better to use in my opinion. although I read about some guy who beat red with nothing but a weedle, who used them a lot.
    Take a moment to consider just how nothing nothing really is....If you understand this, then you just solved the universe.

The truth that each person...each soul...is a book. And when we lay our feelings out in the open...and we give them no name...and we give them no author....and we give them no description.....who will actually read them..........?"

Credit to Eevee for the amazing banner.
    Current fanfiction project: Pokemon: Absolution

I never use them. I always thought they were useless.
    Shiny Count: 50

Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmeraldKnight View Post
    They aren't entirely usless. I believe they boost happiness if you use them on a pokemon.
    No, you're thinking of the vitamins.

The X items are useless to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmeraldKnight View Post
    Unless your pokemon doesn't know any.
    I am pretty sure this is why they are good. Because it's like having a set pf extra stat boosting moves beyond the four attacks you normally get. They probably combine pretty well with a pokemon with the simple ability since then it's the equivalent of a swords dance/agility/amnesia/whatever.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

They can come in handy at times if you use them to boost the stats of a Pokemon who lacks moves that do the same.

X-speed is arguably the most useful, as a single speed increase can make a lot of Pokemon faster then things that would otherwise be threatening to them.

I never use them, I either sell them or toss them.

I use them on rare occasions. Most of the time I use them when I REALLY have to... but it's just for convenience.

I don't think I've ever acturally used one, though I can see how they'd be useful, I just tend not to use items in battle.
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken

(Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

Today's Fact: Angry shellfish harvesters used to cut up starfish they found eating their shellfish. A starfish can regenerate from any piece that contains a reasonable portion of the starfish's core (some species only need part of an arm). I'll let you figure out the result.

The X items come more useful if they're used in long battles (like Elite Four, for example).

I rarely buy X Items to use, unless I get stuck in a battle of the game. I usually use only the X items found throughout the game.
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 13th January 2013 at 12:49 PM.

For the more experience trainers they somewhat feel useless during the progressiong in a game. Though when you're not that experience but do know how to use them (seems somewhat rare) they can be useful for the earlier part of the game. I myself however have yet to come and use these since I know what most Gyms and Trainers use and base my own pokémon on that.

They're more useful than most people give them credit for, but having said that, I almost never utilise such items. Most of the time it's because I forget I have them, and can deal with the situation without them anyway.

They're probably the most reliable way to cheese boss fights, since you can just stack like ten of them on something, heal when needed, and just rip whoever you're fighting to shreds.

I've never seen a use in them. I'm still sort of stuck in Gen I, I have taken a long time to get used to using items in battle. In specific reference to these, I look at it as why use a X attack one turn and then attack a second, when I can spend two turns straight attacking.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Elliot View Post
    In specific reference to these, I look at it as why use a X attack one turn and then attack a second, when I can spend two turns straight attacking.
    Because fights take more than two turns, and some Pokemon are more dangerous than others. If I know a Kyogre is coming and I can set up on a Hoppip, I'll take the time to buff my stats against the Hoppip rather than one-shot it and have to struggle against the Kyogre.

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    Because fights take more than two turns, and some Pokemon are more dangerous than others. If I know a Kyogre is coming and I can set up on a Hoppip, I'll take the time to buff my stats against the Hoppip rather than one-shot it and have to struggle against the Kyogre.
    Woah, for a moment I misread your post as saying you want to buff up Hoppip with X items to take on Kyogre and I was like "Impressive Hoppip you've got right there..."

I tend not to use items in battle, so I just keep them around in my inventory. But even in terms of usefulness, moves that buff one stat by one stage are rarely useful to me whether in-game or in competitive plays, so that applies to these X items. On the other hand moves that buff one stat by two stages, or two different stats by one stage each are great, but probably too overpowered to have an item counterpart.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

I think I may have used an X item maybe.... three times in all the years I've played Pokemon. They may have their uses, but for me, they're nothing more than a way to get a few extra pokedollars in my pocket. I don't believe I've ever bought one, and I can vaguely remember maybe one fight where I thought "Hey, using that X-whatever actually was helpful!".

Generally speaking, if I'm going to use items I pin my faith on Full Restores and Revives more than the x-items. They seem to be more helpful than the x-items.

My Youtube battle videos
    My 3DS FC: 3609-1041-6416.

I have claimed Goodra. Happy slime dragons ftw!

Most of the time in Pre Gen 4, I just sold or "banked" them in my PC when I played, but then I hardly ever used any Stat boosting moves in game anyway. Most of the time I'd be done in three turns. 1 turn for Swap and a 2 for a 2 hit KO.

Oh yeah, Moved to polls.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Power View Post
    Woah, for a moment I misread your post as saying you want to buff up Hoppip with X items to take on Kyogre and I was like "Impressive Hoppip you've got right there..."
    0SpAtk +6 Infiltrator Hoppip (Neutral) Grass Knot vs 0HP/0SpDef Kyogre (Neutral): 102% - 120% (348 - 410 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

That would also work, yes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast