Thread: Changes in Pokemon for better or for worse?

Default Changes in Pokemon for better or for worse?

Being a fan of the first season of the show mainly (which had the best theme song by the way) I have to say that I was really disappointed when they took away Brock and Misty and haven't really cared for the newer characters as much and so I haven't watched it nearly as much. I've heard rumors that Brock was taken off the show because the creators were afraid that someone would call them racist because of Brock's slanted eyes. That brings me to my next point. Bellossom. It used to be one of my favorite pokemon when I first saw it in an issue of Becket magazine when the beta art was released. Once again, like Jynx the skin color was changed so they didn't appear racist. Now, not to get away from my point about Bellossom but I liked Jynx a lot more black and never thought she was meant to be a black human parody. Bellossom doesn't look half as human as Jynx did and by changing the skin color from BLUE to green it really just disappointed me.
    I guess I'll just finish this up now before I go on rambling too much like a nostalgic old person. :P Darn kids these days... back in my day there were only a hunderd an fiddy pokeymans and we were darn glad to have 'em!

I hate to break it to you, but it is no longer 1999 and you are no longer 10.

The anime hasn't changed much at all. Similar to the games, finer details are added but the anime and indeed the entire Pokemon franchise is still the same at its core. People can prefer whatever gen they want, but when people just heap praise on the first Gen of Pokemon and think the loss of Misty and Brock is hugely detrimental to the anime...well, that's just nostalgia based fandom.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post

The anime hasn't changed much at all. Similar to the games, finer details are added but the anime and indeed the entire Pokemon franchise is still the same at its core. People can prefer whatever gen they want, but when people just heap praise on the first Gen of Pokemon and think the loss of Misty and Brock is hugely detrimental to the anime...well, that's just nostalgia based fandom.
    I agree. Plus, seeing Brock finally leave after...what, 10 seasons or something? I cried man. I CRIED!

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post

Eh, I do like the newer pokemon designs and stuff but I didn't mention it because I was too busy reminiscing.

I mean seriously, there's over a decade worth of Brock episodes. That's more than enough for any supporting cast character.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

I gotta be honest I never once looked at Jynx and though "You know what that looks like? A Lawsuit" the kinda person who causes that kind of controversy is the kind of person who doesn't care about what kid's enjoy as long they get to prove a single useless point to feel validated. On the note of that apparently the reason Brock wasn't present in the Orange Islands is because people might be offended that he was a Japanese Stereotype. I got to be honest though I did like Dawn and May they were good companions to Ash's Journey and Misty was getting kind of annoying anyway. Hopefully she'll come back though.
    - My Sig was too Tall, so a Mod fixed it -

I didn't like the fact that teddiursa went from being orange to being brown. i mean come on. whats worse is that in heart gold teddiursa is orange when he follows you, but then brown when battling -_- wtf gamefreak wtf
    My black FC: 5458 2343 1632

I stopped watching after the orange league. Cause I started growing out of the anime around then. But I cringe whenever I flip past 'Disney XD' and hear Ash's new voice. It kinda sucks because I actually like a lot of the Gen V pokemon, and I wanna watch the anime to see their tv personalities. But the anime's changed so much since I was little... It's so hard to get used to the new characters and voice actors. And drawing style...

Uhh... would you agree that this is supposed to be in the Pokemon Anime discussion area??? Or is that just me?
    I will be less active as time goes on; I have many things to do to get into college and will be focusing on that, so if you don't hear from me for a while, just be patient. I will respond, but it may take some time.

Black FC: 1764-6597-3816

Spoiler:- claims:

Quote Originally Posted by overlordmewtwo View Post
    Uhh... would you agree that this is supposed to be in the Pokemon Anime discussion area??? Or is that just me?
    It could be for character designs (as I mentioned) and game aspects too.

Most changes are for the better. I know I would get annoyed if Brock were tagging along with me for ten years.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinja2 View Post
    I didn't like the fact that teddiursa went from being orange to being brown. i mean come on. whats worse is that in heart gold teddiursa is orange when he follows you, but then brown when battling -_- wtf gamefreak wtf
    I didn't even realize it changed colors. I thought it was still orange. It looked better orange.......
    No sig. Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mankeyonmyback View Post
    I stopped watching after the orange league. Cause I started growing out of the anime around then. But I cringe whenever I flip past 'Disney XD' and hear Ash's new voice. It kinda sucks because I actually like a lot of the Gen V pokemon, and I wanna watch the anime to see their tv personalities. But the anime's changed so much since I was little... It's so hard to get used to the new characters and voice actors. And drawing style...
    I quit watching shortly after the Johto series started (didn't quit watching intentionally, I think they started showing it at a different time or something), and I tried to watch one Pokemon Black/White episode and yeah it was nearly unbearable.

However I did go to Youtube and watch a couple of videos from the Hoenn series, and found those to be OK.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

I think its still orange when it fights. Just look
    Only hg/ss and b/w shows it orange(thank goodness) the rest just shows it brown.

Ummm, let me see.

1) in the anime, it would had been cooler if Ash grew up as the seasons kept on going. I think we wouldhad been the same age by now.

2) When they create newer games, they should at least keep most of the stuff they had in the older vesions. Example, VS seeker. We had it in Fire Red, I believe, and now we don't have it no more, also having trainers and people that you can call or they can call you, and having a pokemon fallowing you. I thought that was epic

I think I finish any thougts?

Not asking just hoping for this to be an avatar,

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky_Ragger View Post
    Ummm, let me see.

1) in the anime, it would had been cooler if Ash grew up as the seasons kept on going. I think we wouldhad been the same age by now.
    yeah I think that would've been a positive change or if they just started following a different person completely with each new region.

... Teddiursa's been brown since Gold and Silver. The only games it was orange in were HGSS and BW.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

Game-wise it was for the better, Gen 1 had so much broken mechanics such as when Psychic was overpowered and not many types including Ghost Pokemon, couldn't stop it unless you own a Pokemon w/ good special and Good Attack.:P Also the back sprites look all garbled even if you were to send out Venusaur.>.> Gen 2 was an improvement in terms of colors and how it introduces Dark and Steel types to be good against Psychic yet the SP. stat has been divided to Sp.Atck and Sp.Df as well as introducing the day/night features and breeding. Then Gen 3 and onwards included multiple mechanics like Natures, abilities, unique typing's and legendaries playing a far more important role.

Anime-wise, it's getting good, it's still Ash w/ Pikachu going to many towns and cities to meet up with people and interact with Pokemon. I didn't mind when Misty left, I thought it was for the best plus appreciate that she had a good run even if she didn't receive much development as the other girls, the Whirl Cup episodes was really fun to rewatch, the writers must've thought that since Misty is going to be replaced then they should give several episodes dedicated to her.:P Brock wasn't as bad as Misty, I'm glad he's gone since he's gotten really stale plus Dento made things really entertaining yet those are my personal bias. Furthermore I really don't like the 1st Pokemon theme song, it's quickly overdone and I much prefer the 1st JP opening theme but that's just me.

As for the Pokemon, I could go w/ Gligar, I actually like that it resembles on how it looks in the anime.:P

Someone already mentioned lack of Vs Seeker, after you beaten Elite Four, you have not many people to beat, right now i'm just levelling up against the people in the stadia in Nimbasa City and breeding, as there isn't much else to do. (I don't consider walking up and down the same bit of grass a journey, imagine the film Stand By Me with them just walking back and forth)

GEtting rid of the day night morning exclusivity of some pokemon in Gen 5

I loved the unlimited TMs, but i wish they hadn't gotten rid of so many good ones, like Giga Drain and Drain Punch for one

Dream World i'm loving, though i think they could maybe add more to it, i don't know what though

I miss that thing from Pokemon Emerald, where your in the Cup, and it's like real life thing with Final, Semi Final, Quarter Final etc, that'd be my main one

I no longer watch the anime, having watched it from Kanto to Johto, and intermittently through Hoenn, it's become cringeworthy. Ash always has Pikachu (yawn), he always gets the starters too (yet they aren't wild in the games, ever) he never grows up, he is still 10 years old, yet how many Christmas specials have they had followed by summer and cherry blossom festival episodes? Team Rocket in fact are the only improvement, they've become a bit more realistic, like not getting blasted off continuously. Inconsistencies between which legendary created which Pokemon and which is ruler of which aspect of the world. I think they should maybe have him go into a coma for a season, or become amnesiac. The fact his Pikachu is always defeated by crappy levelled pokemon at beginning of the anime that are Level 3, and he must be Level 70 at least, if not 100, after traversing through 6 regions, 2 of them twice i believe. come on, i don't see these Patrat with Focus Sash and Endeavour/Quick Attack combo.

@Tomboy, Your Samurott Does look much better than the game sprites i must say

Yea, most but not all changes are for the better, just like Brock.

Credit to Riataro from EGC

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

For the better:

- Games improving in technologic features.
    - More Pokemon.
    - Newer Characters Introduced in the Anime.
    - A More Complex Theme Introduced (also a con).

For the worse:

- The Anime Never Going Anywhere in Plot Development in BW Excluding TRio, who do not have believable personalities anymore. The joker TRio was just more believable to me than the serious one we have now, even if arguably as characters they've gotten better or worse.
    - Older Characters being Ruined by Poor Writing and Never Accomplishing their Goals without being Shafted (in particular, shafting goes to the following-- DP: Brock/Takeshi; BW: TRio-- in their case a lack of screentime).
    - TPCi dropping the 4Kids Voice Actors back in '06, Writers, and Musicians (Loeffler and Corallo excluded).
    - Simplistic charm of Pokemon has been lost with the introduction of so many things into the franchise that for any non-fan it's difficult to keep track of all the creatures and such (also a pro).

Though this is all opinionated, of course.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 14th January 2013 at 8:39 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer