Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Would you like to see Contest again?

The only problem with Dawn's Contest journey was her Mary Sue rival of a character that was Zoey. She LOOKED cool, but she was so flawless it was ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    The only problem with Dawn's Contest journey was her Mary Sue rival of a character that was Zoey. She LOOKED cool, but she was so flawless it was ridiculous...
    This.

These kinds of people are best suited for the your good but I'm better person who makes sure no MC can ever fulfill their dream.

If contests were more like AG yes.

I don't care if they have contests or not next time, just give the girl something to do. Make a boy do them instead if they must.

My ideal battle ever!

I'd still really like Cilan to develop into a co-ordinator. His personality would suit it perfectly and he really did seem quite interested in Dawn..

So yeah, if he does return in the next region, then that's what I'd like him to do..

**** no.. found them boring
    i like the don tournments they are much more interesting and fun (and if done right of course)

Even if I'm not a big fan of Contests, I liked how they didn't involve much battling and showed how moves could be used in a non-offensive way. I'd like to see Cilan (if he doesn't leave) partaking Contests in the future.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

I actually liked Dawn's coordination journey more than May's. I am a fan of DP contests. But yeah, it would be really stale if they try it again. Unless they have a very different and interesting plot for the MC. Then it'd be good.

<--My tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu
    DRACO NO STOP. DRACO DOWN. DRACO NO FLIRTING WITH ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlerama

FF.Net profile: Here!!
    \

Speaking of contests personally in case we are getting another new girl (to my disappointment), hopefully she will be given some new career to pursue and role in which we didn't had chance to see female put in as major character. Something along the lines of being trainer which doesn't want to be mono master or do gyms, young apprentice trying to become E4 or gym leader, ranger, researcher which is trying to learn more about mysteries and new legendary pokemon etc.

I don't really think contests are necessary to achieve character gaining believable development and adequate amount of focus .I would rather want to see writers giving good and believable development for a change to main girls which are pursuing different careers than coordinators do bringing with itself prospect of new exciting adventure, events character would enter and tasks he would need to fulfill to become what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post

But I'd really like the next female to have a defined goal, unlike Misty or Iris. To be a -something- master is really, really vague. I mean, I like the idea of Iris taking part in tournaments, but I don't like how the female, supposedly a co-star, takes the back seat to have her goal expanded countable times during the entire BW arc.

Having a defined goal (Contest master for one) is the best for me, I wouldn't mind a non-contest girl with another goal, but if she's going to be another -insert type- master, I'm going to flip lol.
    Its not like it wasn't explained what their aims mean,. With Misty it involved becoming strongest water trainer in world on pair with E4 like Lorelei, Lance, Bertha etc being best mono trainers out there. While with Iris it was said to be very specific title which is given to those from dragon village who have proven themselves to be worthy of it establishing close bond with dragons.

However compared to defined goals like contests, it wasn't really explained what path someone needs to follow to fulfill such task.

Personally in a way i find anime exclusive goals to have more interesting premise behind them unlike game quests which has already set up in advance path someone needs to follow being known entire background and structure around which they revolve. One of advantages such quests have imo is certain doze of unpredictability not being possible to predict outcome allowing that such goals get taken in several directions depending on writer imagination.

But i agree how there should exist happy medium with character goals having both dash of mystery to themselves but also better defined benchmarks and obstacles someone needs to overcome and accomplish measuring more adequately his growth. Like it was case with May and Dawn with contests doing pretty good job at it.

I guess Misty goal had such predisposition with Whirl Cup which was introduced as one of links connected with her dream but it happened too late to be expanded to more notable degree.

p.s. I also agree how getting another girl striving to become "master" would be just pushing it from writers part becoming repetitive and overused concept by now. And in general i wouldn't welcome such idea, unless by some miracle previous companion like Misty is reintroduced again. Since in that case we would be getting sequel for change following experienced trainer going on bigger things instead of following someone from scratch for change. That and thanks to water being highly diverse and most rich type out there allows to create benchmarks defining direction through which further steps could be made.

But that's rather doubtful to ever happen.

I would love to have contests back but I would even more love Cilan to pursue them. He is so the coordinator type. Pansage and him would nail it and the PC girl could be his rival! *_*

If the new girl would participate in Contests I would be happy as well.

We need something.BW was worse than previous gen's cause they had to give Ash a lot of pokemon to promote the region( cause Iris has tendency towards Dragons) and the over to fast pacing gyms. I loved it being faster but under 10 eps is to much!
    My Final B2-normal mode- team:

I was never much of a fan of Contests. They wearen't horrible, but I found them pretty boring. D:

However, I would love it if Dento tried them. Because, well, he's Dento. I'm sure it would make for some awesome moments and beautiful attacks made by the gorgeous Stunfisk~
    Is apparantly Dragon Type in the Friend Safari. Neat.

One of these Spoilers has a very Hot Chick hidden. One has Yaoi. And one will eat your Soul. Choose at your own risk~

Spoiler:- Number 1:

Spoiler:- Number 2:

Spoiler:- Number 3:

I find contests overrated. I cannot see how people like them. The pretty combinations? The character's appearence in them? It's my least favorite aspect in the anime.

Quote Originally Posted by your boss View Post
    I find contests overrated. I cannot see how people like them. The pretty combinations? The character's appearence in them? It's my least favorite aspect in the anime.
    The Contests were originally praised for replacing the Johto fillers and it was the first time we were see something new outside Ash's Gyms. I do agree that Contests were wearing out their welcome toward the later half of DP, but when they first appeared they were something new and interesting at the time.

Bring contests bring back dawn. I bet they have petitions for it in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Terror Of Master View Post
    I bet they don't japanese people dont do stupid petitions.

Japanese don't sit there whining for past characters.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Japanese don't sit there whining for past characters.
    No but I bet they sit there whining for Piplup

No but I bet they sit there whining for Piplup
    Liking a past character is diferent from whining for years and hating on other characters because their favourites are gone, Piplup is popular, I like Piplup I'm not crying for him to come back, specially because I find his trainer boring.

Dawn could rejoin the cast simply because of Piplups popularity.

Dawn could rejoin the cast simply because of Piplups popularity.
    Yeah how about no. Piplup will still continue to sell even though it's not on the main cast anymore.

Anyway, if PokéFrance does include Contests again, then I hope they switch it up a little bit. Cilan's battle style would be a refreshing taste for Contests. Cilan with Burgundy, Jessie, and a new guy as rivals would be sweet. Both girls being competent is something we need. Jessie has so much experience that with Woobat, Frillish, Wobbuffet, Seviper, Yanmega, and a 6th gen pokemon, she would be a legit threat.

Random : PokéRadar

My problem with a few of the DP Contest is they felt like fireworks shows rather than battles half the time. Ambiguous attack collisions galore, I preferred AG's more battle-orientated talent Contest. Simple things like May teaching her Skitty how to juggle or one of Drew's appeals.

God, the constant use of Ice in appeals in DP and CGi got on my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    My problem with a few of the DP Contest is they felt like fireworks shows rather than battles half the time. Ambiguous attack collisions galore, I preferred AG's more battle-orientated talent Contest. Simple things like May teaching her Skitty how to juggle or one of Drew's appeals.

God, the constant use of Ice in appeals in DP and CGi got on my nerves.
    May is also guilty of Ice Spamming appeals. Skitty with Blizzard and Squirtle with Ice Beam.

May usually on with KO. Dawn won with Time. That's something that Ursula even called Dawn out on. Cilan could be a mix of them both. We know he is an all out attacker but also sparkles.

Random : PokéRadar

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789