Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nostalgia

Default Nostalgia

Should new Pokémon games bring back major characters from previous generations?

Like B/W2 brought back Gym Leaders and Champions from previous generations? Of course.
    My future team for Omega Ruby: Sceptile, (event shiny) Metagross, Torkoal, Altaria, Walrein, Groudon

Proven fact: Stardust Road and Teresa Waltz from the Super Mario Galaxy CD are good lullabies. Thanks to Savanny Killersaurus for demonstrating.

Friend Code: 2552-0309-3757
    Pokémon in my safari: Ponyta, Fletchinder, Charmeleon
    Pokémon I am looking for: none atm

No, unless the old characters are related to the plot of the new games in some way. Otherwise it will be just dumb fanservice like the Pokémon World Tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    No, unless the old characters are related to the plot of the new games in some way. Otherwise it will be just dumb fanservice like the Pokémon World Tournament.
    Well, I think he means that should they be brought back as a major part of the story line not the PWT thing.
    I want more of the previous protags to come back, there is too much focus on Red only, and even he doesn't appear often.

Yes, it would be splendid if they do come back.Like for fanservice or for plots.It would be so nice for Elite Fours to actually have a role and it can also servers as a reminder for new players that there are other Pokemon games prior to the one that they are playing.

Makes me wonder if we'll get more CRASHER WAKE cameos in gen 6 xD
    But yes, agreeing with Nyarlathotep; would be nice if they came back for contribution towards the story or for the PWT hehe
    Black 2 FC - 2237 5230 0474

TBH, before really Gen V, most major characters were honestly pretty one-dimensional and didn't have that much going for them. If they bring back any characters, bring back Gen V characters, like Colress or maybe some Sages.

Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    i am this close to editing excitable boy's signature to ITS A JOKE for the next 5 months
    I should make this the signature of both sogeking & excitable boy

It'd be pretty cool to hear some of the old songs from older generations, maybe the Route 110 theme from RSE?
    Currently not playing any Pokemon Games, you can check my Backloggery for games that I AM playing, if you're interested:

If I'm playing a Pokemon game, I'll have my signature display the game I'm playing, current team, and badge number.

Some would be cool, regardless of being related to the plot of the game or not.

Like when we encounter Jasmine in D/P/Pt, Oak in Johto of G/S/C/HG/SS, and the ex-members of Team Rocket in Icirrus City of B/W/B2/W2, for example.
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 20th January 2013 at 4:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    TBH, before really Gen V, most major characters were honestly pretty one-dimensional and didn't have that much going for them. If they bring back any characters, bring back Gen V characters, like Colress or maybe some Sages.
    People of Serebii, now I say to you. You say nothing to these types of comments, but when someone says the same thing he opposite way it becomes ''shut up you stupid genwunner!!!!''.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

YES! I'd LOVE another PWT styled thing again. That was so awesome and really made me happy that gamefreak still cares about us older generation folk.

Let me ask people who say no...Why? What's so bad about adding it in. It gives something to us older fans. The PWT didn't harm anything. In fact it ADDED to the game. If something adds to the game wouldn't you like to see it again. I honestly loved being able to fight all the gym leaders and champions. And with this jump to 3D I could really see Gamefreak taking advantage of people wanting to see their favorite old characters with 3D models.

Gamefreak has always been really good in the nostalgia department, and the PWT just shos how much they care about their past generation of games.Even if they aren't meant for plot there really is no harm at all in adding them. So I ask again, to the people that say no. Why? With the mindset stated above why is it a bad thing?

[wants to see green's hair in 3D]

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    Umm...what?!?
    I was unaware that Green, Lance, Stephan, Surge, Skyla ect ect had no personality. They have plenty of personality from just what they say.

Sure character's like Red or Brendan might look one-dimensional but that's the point. They are silent protagonists. You are supposed to be the one that gives them emotion. I've said this to a lot of people but kids these days don't have an imagination anymore. Red is the same as Mario, or Link, or hell even Master Cheif. All silent protagonists. But you're supposed to give them that emotion with your mind. That's what makes Pokemon, and Zelda so great. You can connect to the main character on an even playing field. It makes it easier for you to connect. The fact that they are silent means they can be ANYTHING you want them to be. You can make them a dick or you can make them a good guy. The fact that they can be anything, how does that make them plain.
    Last edited by Dragoniss; 20th January 2013 at 5:39 PM.

NNID: Antagonistgreen | 3DS FC: 4727-5570-4170

Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch | Deviant Art | Miiverse
    Palletshipping | Cafemochashipping | Namelessshipping

Well, Gen I was the best for me, and i wish to play it again, but Gen II, III, IV were good
    Last edited by Lucario95; 20th January 2013 at 5:58 PM.
    Lucario: Master of Aura...... and Chocolate!

FC(Pokemon Y): 4313-1362-5177

Eh,I suppose it could be kinda neat. I enjoyed the little things like Jasmine's cameo in Platinum; however, I wouldn't want so many old characters being recycled to the point that it cut in on the amount of new characters we received.
    Last edited by Endolise; 20th January 2013 at 8:16 PM.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Yeah, I loved the relationships revealed between Gym Leaders in B/W 2. It added more character to them, it makes them more than just a wall you have to break to get to the E4.

it would be interesting to see some of the old game characters in newer gens. if theyre involved with the plot, it would make it more fun.
    3DS FC: 5086-1034-2659
    PM me if you want to add me.

Current obsession: Pokemon X

Of course they will be in the game. The last two Gens had appearance of older characters in someway or another so I can say expect more of the same. If they have any impact on the story would be another question. If they did I hope it would be a good role and not take away from the gym leaders of the new gen. Chances are though they will be involved in something like PWT.

No. New Generations are mostly about new characters. A few on the side as maybe cameo appearances would be fine, but not for a major role in the story.
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami
    -----
    My Pokemon Teams
    -----
    White 2 Team:
    Black Team:
    SoulSilver Team:
    Platinum Team:
    Diamond Team:
    FireRed Team:
    Ruby Team:

I've actually been hoping every new generation will have a team rocket comeback. I know that won't happen, but a girl can dream ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoniss View Post
    Umm...what?!?
    I was unaware that Green, Lance, Stephan, Surge, Skyla ect ect had no personality. They have plenty of personality from just what they say.
    I didn't say they had no personalities (though Lance kinda doesn't, Skyla is from Gen V, and I have no idea who Stephan is), I said they had one-dimensional personalities. Even Green, the rival and arguably the most important character in RBGYRFLG - what personality does he have besides "hurr, protagonist sux, I'mma be Pokeman Champ, durr?" At least in the games, he really has none.

If a new game wants to elaborate on a past character and give them backstory, motivation, goals, etc - you know, what determines a character's personality - I'd be okay with that. But, why not create new characters for that purpose? As Endolise said, a new game should be focused on new characters and a new plot, not the last game's characters and plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoniss View Post
    Sure character's like Red or Brendan might look one-dimensional but that's the point. They are silent protagonists. You are supposed to be the one that gives them emotion. I've said this to a lot of people but kids these days don't have an imagination anymore. Red is the same as Mario, or Link, or hell even Master Cheif. All silent protagonists. But you're supposed to give them that emotion with your mind. That's what makes Pokemon, and Zelda so great. You can connect to the main character on an even playing field. It makes it easier for you to connect. The fact that they are silent means they can be ANYTHING you want them to be. You can make them a dick or you can make them a good guy. The fact that they can be anything, how does that make them plain.
    While I wasn't referring to the protagonists with that post (they're a whole different thingy and oy), part of the reason I'm against including past protagonists in new games is the fact that by forcing them to have dialogue and a team, you remove, to an extent, the personality and ideas that you yourself project upon them. I loathe Pikachu; when I battle Red and he leads with one, I don't feel like I'm battling my past protagonist, I feel like I'm battling any other NPC in the game. You could implement team copying, but the AI still can't battle like I would and use similar strategies to me. To some, it's fanservice, but to me, it's an impostor and a disgrace to the character that I've conjured up in my own mind, removing any of the magic that may have existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
    People of Serebii, now I say to you. You say nothing to these types of comments, but when someone says the same thing he opposite way it becomes ''shut up you stupid genwunner!!!!''.
    In my defense, some of my best friends are Genwunners.
    Last edited by Excitable Boy; 20th January 2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: remembered some stuff

i am this close to editing excitable boy's signature to ITS A JOKE for the next 5 months
    I should make this the signature of both sogeking & excitable boy

Quote Originally Posted by ShiningStarr View Post
    Absolutely! Seeing old faces is always a pleasure! Especially friends and rivals of past protagonists.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

Quote Originally Posted by ShiningStarr View Post
    They do.

[/end thread]
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

I would like some kind of continuing world which contains all regions, that way it's possible for every main character in every zone to have a roll. I do think that this is rather hard to accomplish however, so I think all of them reappearing is something that will not happen in the near future. The most plausible solution is for sure another thing like the PWT in BW2.

Just as long as they have a new/improved plot behind them. New designs and teams too maybe?
    Shaymin is amazing!
    ~ ★

I liked the whole battling Cynthia in Undella Town, and fighting Blue as a Gym Leader in Gen. II and IV. I actually do prefer them to have them have the same team, like a few of Cynthia's Pokémon had actually de-leveled from when I last challenged her in Sinnoh o_O
    But, yed, it's always fun to see old characters come back, I especially loved the Team Rocket guy in B/W and the Team Aqua/Team Magma dudes in B2/W2!

Magikarp used splash! It's a one-hit KO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast