• They should at least take it to the double digits or 1000 pokemon

32 22.07%
  • Never, the series should continue forever

58 40.00%
  • I'm fine with a few new gens and some spin-offs and remakes

37 25.52%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Predictions for the end

It'll keep going until it stops making money.

Although I'd see it happening that they'd slow down with the new gens. Releasing new ones over a longer time span than they do now, although that's probably quite some generations away and that they'd focus more on spin-offs and remakes. But yeah, it'll only stops if it isn't profitable anymore, which won't happen in a long time if you look at the amount of sales when they release a new version.

I am indeed the one with the power of a god.
    The divine flames that I've absorbed
    will burn you to a crisp with nuclear energy and leave nothing behind!

Aside from all points previously made:
    I imagine that sometime in the future, some storyline (games, manga, movie, w/e) will involve someone other than Ash fighting this massive enemy, creating a world-destroying explosion. Unlike DBZ, there's only 1 inhabitable planet, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

Pokemon will go on in some form as long as Nintendo does.

I could definitely see some serious revamps happening eventually, though. The sort of stuff that happens in any series that goes on for long enough. There could be a compatibility break like in RS, complete with a huge mechanical rework. There might be an overhaul of all the lore and characters like they do in comic books every once in a while. Heck, eventually some spinoff series might become more popular than the main series. They come out with a new spinoff franchise, what, every three years or so? The next Ranger or Mystery Dungeon might be wildly popular.

The main Pokemon series might die, but only if something else takes its place.

Whenever the Earth hypothetically explodes or another insert-apocalyptic-event-here occurring. I predict that, as technological advancement increases and civilization develops, our available force against such harbingers will protect us more strongly. So, perhaps never.
    Last edited by Professor Squirtle; 14th January 2013 at 3:17 AM.

A
    H
    H
    H...

It should never end! Those who do not like it can leave when ever they want to. Who says all good thing must come to an end anyway? It doesn't.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

^Agree, I want it never ends like my other fave things (One Piece for instance).

But nothing lasts forever.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Wee... Poison slide at my gym...

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen10 View Post
    It makes me wonder though when they will run out of ideas for new Pokemon.
    There are an infinite amount of possibilities, and plenty of graphic designers who would be willing to get a handful of cash from the selling of a popular game series.

If one staff member runs out of ideas, they'll simply be replaced.

I said they'll at least make the two digits in the poll, since I can't see anything lasting forever, but it may go well over 30 generations. Or more. I wouldn't be surprised if I never got to see the day it ends.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 14th January 2013 at 4:10 AM.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Honestly, Pokemon will be around long after we are all gone. It is an absolutely huge franchise worldwide. So long as Nintendo exists, Pokemon exists. Even if Nintendo ever go bust then I'm sure it would be taken over like Sega was and Pokemon will continue anyways (like Sonic)

I believe the games series will end when we get real life pokemon because who would want to play pokemon games when you have a real one right next to you?

~

Well, there's the eventual heat death of the universe, or, to use an event humanity may actually survive long enough to witness, the day when the sun runs out of hydrogen and begins expanding into a red giant and encompasses Earth's orbit so that the planet is utterly destroyed. So yeah, it will come to an end someday.

When I can't tell you. Any time from tomorrow to 4.5 billion years from now is my official guess.

While I don't think it'll end anytime soon I do think it will end eventually.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen10 View Post
    I think the most likely answer is found in looking at series like Mario and Zelda. I think Pokemon will continue to make games indefinitely. They may slow down, like the Mario Bros series did, but there will always be a new game to come out eventually. It makes me wonder though when they will run out of ideas for new Pokemon.
    When pokemon was created there were not 151 pokemon made. even before pokemon Red/Blue came out there were already over 1000 pokemon created and those were put into groups(generations) thats also why some pokemon have no evolution in 1st gen games but do in 4th gen games(like magmar).

This explains also why some pokemon look alot alike(Klink and Magnemite have a lot in common)(Blitzle and Ponyta)

so they wont be running out of pokemon for at least 5-10 years

Quote Originally Posted by master of murkrow View Post
    When pokemon was created there were not 151 pokemon made. even before pokemon Red/Blue came out there were already over 1000 pokemon created and those were put into groups(generations) thats also why some pokemon have no evolution in 1st gen games but do in 4th gen games(like magmar).

This explains also why some pokemon look alot alike(Klink and Magnemite have a lot in common)(Blitzle and Ponyta)

Can you back this up?

That's a pretty wild theory.

Especially when you consider that Pokemon design noticeably changes over time, and generations tend to have their own twist like the modern/urban designs in G5. Honestly, I think it would take more effort to design them in advance and plan out how'd they be split up than it would to just design them over the course of fifteen years.

....What? No.

There were some Pokemon created for the first generation that got cut and some of those ideas for Pokemon were used for later games but there was not over 1000 like you are trying to say

Personally I would like to see at least a 7th generation of Pokemon and maybe more

I really don't know where you got that from.

Of course some pokemon were created long before they were released. Ho-oh for an instance was seen in the 1st anime episode long before gen 2 and shellos and gastrodon were created with gen 3, but for some reason didn't make it till gen 4. But it's pretty hard to believe that they already created 1000 pokémon before gen 1. Sure they probably created more than the current amount since some designs probably didn't make it, but far from that amount.

I am indeed the one with the power of a god.
    The divine flames that I've absorbed
    will burn you to a crisp with nuclear energy and leave nothing behind!

I daresay at some point in the future, Game Freak (as well as gamers) will realise that there are simply too many Pokemon - perhaps at a few thousand (probably when our kids or grand-kids are playing Pokemon) - and stop coming up with new generations as we know it today (new region, new Pokemon). That doesn't mean, however, that they won't continue re-inventing with the franchise, as there simply too many things that you can do with a game that has such potential - just imagine combining generations, sequels of old generations, the list goes on.

Of course, money and customers have the biggest say in this - I doubt anyone would want to terminate such a lucrative franchise unless it actually stopped being profitable.
    3DS Friend Code: 2337-4080-6077 | Friend Safari (Poison): Cascoon, Venomoth, Muk
    Kalos Pokedex completed on 1 January 2014
    National Pokedex completed on 7 July 2014

Shinies:

I don't think it will end (because it makes tons of money) and I don't think it should end (because it is tons of fun).
    With that said, I hope they will stay smart with their direction and not come up with weird things just of the sake of keeping things fresh,like trainer-pokemon fusion or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Atratus View Post
    I hope they will stay smart with their direction and not come up with weird things just of the sake of keeping things fresh,like trainer-pokemon fusion or something.
    I think most of the fusion things are already done in too many other series of anime and/or games. They would simply get intellectual property claims I think :P

Quote Originally Posted by dragonskull View Post
    I think most of the fusion things are already done in too many other series of anime and/or games. They would simply get intellectual property claims I think :P
    Well, no one sued them for making the Kyurem thing, so I guess they are in the clear?

I think they will make like 10 Generation of new Pokémon and then start just making remakes or new games which uses the same old Pokémon, but this will take a while

I think we can all agree that Pokmemon is one of the most profitable franchises ever. There are new generations of fans and the old ones like us are very loyal. I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.
    Mortals will face the wrath of my RAYQUAZAR BEAM
    Proud to be a GreySkyShipper

Business sense tells you the almighty dollar with prevail and as long as you keep making money you will keep doing something.

I want to bring up an interesting point though, with Mario and Zelda and the other long running game series out there, you don't have to have the previous games or system to enjoy the game on the current console. Does it help with the story, easter eggs and for more enjoyment? Of course it does. But you didn't have to play Link's Awakening in order to complete and finish Ocarina of Time.
    That is where they are going to run into their big problem, is this completing of the pokedex, obtaining the Pokemon, it will be or become unwieldy and impractical to be able to capture all 700+ Pokemon. You have to have had Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald to complete Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, which you would need to complete Black/White/BW2. I think there comes a point in time where you allow 99% of the Pokemon to be caught between two versions and you won't worry about having to transfer or find someone to trade with etc.
    I think as time goes on we will see DLC where they implement the ability to catch new pokemon by giving us new pieces of the region or perhaps pieces of old regions.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Elliot View Post
    Business sense tells you the almighty dollar with prevail and as long as you keep making money you will keep doing something.

I want to bring up an interesting point though, with Mario and Zelda and the other long running game series out there, you don't have to have the previous games or system to enjoy the game on the current console. Does it help with the story, easter eggs and for more enjoyment? Of course it does. But you didn't have to play Link's Awakening in order to complete and finish Ocarina of Time.
    That is where they are going to run into their big problem, is this completing of the pokedex, obtaining the Pokemon, it will be or become unwieldy and impractical to be able to capture all 700+ Pokemon. You have to have had Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald to complete Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, which you would need to complete Black/White/BW2. I think there comes a point in time where you allow 99% of the Pokemon to be caught between two versions and you won't worry about having to transfer or find someone to trade with etc.
    I think as time goes on we will see DLC where they implement the ability to catch new pokemon by giving us new pieces of the region or perhaps pieces of old regions.
    But, apart from completing the pokedex, you don't need to play the ones before it. GF always makes the games such anyone new can play the games. Like you don't need to play bw to play bw2. You can start with any game you like.
    This is a philosophy that Masuda has repeated time and again in interviews.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast