View Poll Results: Does the original battery still work in your Gen 1 Cartridge?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 80.33%
  • No

12 19.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who still has an original working battery?

Default Who still has an original working battery?

I had just played through Red again trying out a single pokemon run. Finished it with relative ease past the second gym. I wanted to try out a non-starter run, one that would require me to breed for using my Gold cart.

Put Gold in, turn on the game... no save data.

I've owned both Red and Gold since the first year they came out, so I found it weird that Gold was the first one to have the battery go on. So now I'm wondering, how many of you still have the original battery in the Gen 1 carts that still work?
    Heart Gold Friend Code: 2536 7268 2934
    White 2 Friend Code: 0262 0239 9910
    3DS Friend Code: 1263 6074 7027

Gold and Silver versions have the life expectancy of six years on average. There's really no surprise there. As for the original Red/Blue/Yellow, I'm not entirely sure, as a clock hadn't been included. There are people whose games still work after all these years, so I think it just depends on the person.

My Yellow version stopped working completely for whatever reason. I don't think the battery died, but it's gotten pretty beaten up over the years (because I sucked at taking care of my things) that I think it just died and never made it to the Yellow title screen again. I still have the cartridge on me for keeps, but it'll never be used again. And it's a shame, I would love to play it again especially now that I know the Mew Glitch does work on Yellow version. I don't know about my brothers, though, they apparently lost theirs. Chances are dust got into the cartridges, so they probably wouldn't work anymore if we ever did find them somehow.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Just got the original Red today (Japanese) and the man had a new battery in it and everything. Works great

My Yellow version is still on its original, still working battery.

My Red, Blue, and Green also have working batteries, but I got those games used so I don't know if the original owners ever changed the batteries.

Last time I checked, both Red and Blue still worked. *crosses fingers*
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Both my Red version and Blue version cartridges still work fine. I didn't know that the battery on those games could run dry, so now I'm worried that I'll have to replace the battery in the future.

Mine still hasn't died yet, but my gold, silver, and crystal did. Had to replace the batteries.
    The world needs more weird people who know how things work and who love to figure it all out.
    Being different is not a crime, and people who tell you it is are just jealous that you've picked up a skill they never in their wildest dreams could acquire.
    You can code. They cannot. That is pretty dang cool.
    ~Zed Shaw

My Red cartridge is now 14 years old and my Crystal 12 years old, both are still working fine amazingly.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!

My Blue cartridge is IIRC around 10 years old and is still surprisingly intact.

Spoiler:- Credits::

- please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

I have the same problem as the OP, my Yellow battery still works, and my Gold cartridge is almost dead (it starts up, but it always starts a new game, then freezes shortly after).
    Claimed

The above sprites were made by me. Any comments/requests are welcome (VM/PM)
    My native Vivillon form is Garden Pattern. If you'd like to trade, just drop a VM/PM and we'll see what we can arrange.
    I am also giving out TCG Online Codes, for more info click here.

My blue version still works and my brother got it when it first came out. My crystal that I got new is also still running fine.

Hey, you! Yeah, you! No, not you in front, you there who likes pokémon. Do you like the animé? Do you ever think you'd like to use pokémon and battle like they do in the show?
    Look no further than the
    Pokémon Animé Style Battling League!
    Come say hello in our Time Out thread and we'll get you started on a wonderful adventure. Training pokémon, fighting Gym Leaders, maybe even catching a Legendary pokémon? The choice is yours!

We (as in me and my brother) lost our copies of Gold and Silver a long time ago, so I'm not entirely sure how those went. We still have a copy of Crystal but its internal battery died quite a few years ago and we don't know how to change out the battery. Yes, I know you can open up the cartridge and replace it with a clock battery of the right make, but we're not electricians and we're afraid of screwing up the cartridge permanently.

We do have a copy of Red, a copy of Blue, and a copy of Yellow, and all three of those save perfectly fine.

Surprisingly enough, it hasn't died, in spite of my constant using it... Well, until Gen III... Then in Gen V I started using it again!

My Red, Blue and Yellow versions still work perfectly, but my Silver cartridge's battery died out a couple of years ago. I've been playing my Crystal version exhaustively in the past few months and have clocked up a good 60 hours on it with some rare Pokemon including a Shiny Suicune and some Gen 1 legendaries that I traded over from Blue. My worry is that I had Crystal about a year and a half later than Silver, so i'm thinking that I should transfer my best Pokemon and items to the N64 boxes on Stadium 2 for safekeeping in case the Crystal battery is due to die.

Just went and fired up my blue version, successfully gave old Blastoise my regards.
    [IMG]http://i39.*******.com/30nc01x.png[/IMG]

PASBL
    | Clock shop on Hiatus | Tumblr
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/swtmiw.gif[/IMG]
        Spoiler:- Ding Ding Sparkle Sparkle:

It would depend on the game. My Blue and Crystal work, but Gold doesn't. That's for me, it's different for every other cartridge.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

My Yellow's battery still works, yet my Silver's isn't, however.

My original gold is still working, but seriously my other three games are broken xD (Yellow, silver, blue)
    There is no upperhand hand, I'm giving you mine. It doesn't have to end up wasting your time. There's things that I could say, here in my way. I wanna let you know, that it's all okay.

You love pizza!

Go eat Tuna fish!

I still have no life. Trololo ~

Black 2. My fc : 4213 5452 6544

(Credit goes to FairyWitch)

(Credit goes to Astral Shadow)

My 11 year old Blue version still works.

No idea how old my Red version is, as I got it at a second-hand shop, but the cartridge still looked pretty beat up. It does work perfectly, thankfully.

Anyone have any idea how long the internal battery for the Pokemon TCG game for Gameboy is supposed to last? Last time I checked, my copy of that game worked as well.

Apparently my spirit Pokemon is

my red version still works
    e

I decided to try my Pokemon Blue today.... it worked! I obtained all 151 Pokemon, including Mew from an event at my mall. It was one of the most exciting days of my life - players competed for "badges", we could challenge the pros to a battle using Pokemon Stadium, and we hooked our Gameboys up to something to obtain a Mew owned by Ash. Now if only I could transfer it to my Pokemon Pearl...
    Last edited by intwo; 8th July 2013 at 2:02 AM.

I thought this was an issue on Gold and Silver (and Crystal?) because of the clock system, my Red version still works fine...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Cold Marowak Guy View Post
    Because gen. 6 will have 126 Pokemon exactly, and show up near May 24, 2016 (give or take 3 weeks).

I have found that my old save files have been completely wiped. That is okay though as I now know how to change the internal batteries on my own, and therefore if I have any interest in playing the games in the future I can do it.

My Shinies

Current Targets: Virizion, Dratini, Groudon, Seviper

Latest shinies: Graveler & Floatzel - X - Completely Random - September 1st, 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing Charmander View Post
    My Red, Blue and Yellow versions still work perfectly, but my Silver cartridge's battery died out a couple of years ago. I've been playing my Crystal version exhaustively in the past few months and have clocked up a good 60 hours on it with some rare Pokemon including a Shiny Suicune and some Gen 1 legendaries that I traded over from Blue. My worry is that I had Crystal about a year and a half later than Silver, so i'm thinking that I should transfer my best Pokemon and items to the N64 boxes on Stadium 2 for safekeeping in case the Crystal battery is due to die.
    If you can, go ahead. Backing up is always a good idea.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast